ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Calculating previous earning

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

SidSamuels

Calculating previous earning

Post by SidSamuels » Fri Jul 25, 2008 6:14 am

I was in UK for past 10 months. I had UK expenses being paid monthly and received pay slip which only showed the total amount being paid as part of expenses. there is no breakup of gross salary, tax deduction etc. Whereas my Indian salary continues with all the details (gross, deductions and net)

In case of my UK salary how do I calculate the total gross income? at present, I calculated based on assumption that the amount being paid is same for both net and gross salary. Am I right?

rajesh9pl
Mood:

Post by rajesh9pl » Fri Jul 25, 2008 7:24 am

You are right because judgement/calculation is based on your gross income. You should use Payslips and Bank Statement to claim points under PE section.

You should also use Indian salary too in summation but keep your Band as A because earnigns were made when your were in UK.

SidSamuels

Post by SidSamuels » Fri Jul 25, 2008 11:19 am

Yes I am considering UK Band and not India.

Just to ensure - when I calculate my total earnings it will be India Gross Salary as it appears on my Salary slips and UK Net salary (because there is no other details on payslip) as it appear on my UK Pay Slip? Also the net salary on both India and Uk pay slips should match with respective bank statements, right?

rajesh9pl
Mood:

Post by rajesh9pl » Fri Jul 25, 2008 12:38 pm

You are right in you understanding.

nithya
Newly Registered

Post by nithya » Sat Jul 26, 2008 8:49 am

You need to show two countries of earnings. The UK onsite earnings what you get will be net and in this case that has to considered as the UK earnings. The basic earnings attained in India will have to be divided with appropriate exchange rate of oanda.com and multiplied by 5.3. That will give you the appropriate band. You can also claim for UK earnings of 5 points.

Nithya
www.immigrationuk.co.in

CoolestGuyC
Member of Standing

Post by CoolestGuyC » Sat Jul 26, 2008 10:57 am

nithya wrote:You need to show two countries of earnings. The UK onsite earnings what you get will be net and in this case that has to considered as the UK earnings. The basic earnings attained in India will have to be divided with appropriate exchange rate of oanda.com and multiplied by 5.3. That will give you the appropriate band. You can also claim for UK earnings of 5 points.

Nithya
www.immigrationuk.co.in
Don't give incorrect advice if you are not sure.
1. Earnings in India made while working in uk cannot be multiplied by 5.3 .
2. 5 points for uk earnings can only be claimed when uk earnings are more than 16000 gbp.

rajesh9pl
Mood:

Post by rajesh9pl » Sat Jul 26, 2008 1:18 pm

What is www.immigrationuk.co.in in above post?

geriatrix

Post by geriatrix » Mon Jul 28, 2008 2:01 am

nithya wrote:You need to show two countries of earnings. The UK onsite earnings what you get will be net and in this case that has to considered as the UK earnings. The basic earnings attained in India will have to be divided with appropriate exchange rate of oanda.com and multiplied by 5.3. That will give you the appropriate band. You can also claim for UK earnings of 5 points.

Nithya
www.immigrationuk.co.in
An immigration consultant .... but one who isn't aware of the rules of the game!! :lol: :lol:

regards
Life isn't fair, but you can be!

mjmani

Two country earnings can be shown - check on ukba calculator

Post by mjmani » Tue Aug 19, 2008 7:10 pm

I think Nithya is correct. If you use ukba calculator you will know about it. Pls correct me if I am wrong.

I found the following details (read last para) in http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/worki ... /earnings/
How we adjust overseas earningsTo reflect differences in income levels across the world, the income level required to score points varies depending on where you were working at the time you earned the money. We use a series of calculations (known as uplift ratios) to bring overseas salaries in line with your United Kingdom equivalents. The level of uplift we give depends on the average income in the country in which the earnings were made. This calculation is made automatically using the points-based calculator, which you can find on the right of this page.

Table 2A of Appendix A (Attributes) of the immigration rules lists countries and the appropriate conversion rate, which you can find on the right of this page.

The country in which you have been working, rather than your nationality, determines the income bands against which we will assess the earnings.

Where you have earnings from more than one country, the points-based calculator will apply the appropriate uplift ratio for each country in which the relevant earnings were made, to provide a total that is equivalent to the United Kingdom value of earnings.
Best regards,
Mani

arunkumarprs

Re: Two country earnings can be shown - check on ukba calcul

Post by arunkumarprs » Tue Aug 19, 2008 8:13 pm

Please read the lines which you have posted once again....

Code: Select all

To reflect differences in income levels across the world, the income level required to score points varies depending on [b]where you were working at the time you earned the money[/b]. 
If your working in UK for onsite assignment, then you get both UK and Indian salary. In this case, your country of work is UK. So you should use the rules which are applicable for UK.

If you were working in multiple countries in the 12 month, then for each month, you can claim the earnings based on the country you work.

I got my approval today where i have worked in India and UK in the 12 month period. To complicate my case, i have worked in India, then UK again in India for 1 month and again in UK....

I explained my case in covering letter and claimed with uplift when ever i worked in India and without uplift when ever i worked in UK.......

Hope it make sense....

mjmani wrote:I think Nithya is correct. If you use ukba calculator you will know about it. Pls correct me if I am wrong.

I found the following details (read last para) in http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/worki ... /earnings/
How we adjust overseas earningsTo reflect differences in income levels across the world, the income level required to score points varies depending on where you were working at the time you earned the money. We use a series of calculations (known as uplift ratios) to bring overseas salaries in line with your United Kingdom equivalents. The level of uplift we give depends on the average income in the country in which the earnings were made. This calculation is made automatically using the points-based calculator, which you can find on the right of this page.

Table 2A of Appendix A (Attributes) of the immigration rules lists countries and the appropriate conversion rate, which you can find on the right of this page.

The country in which you have been working, rather than your nationality, determines the income bands against which we will assess the earnings.

Where you have earnings from more than one country, the points-based calculator will apply the appropriate uplift ratio for each country in which the relevant earnings were made, to provide a total that is equivalent to the United Kingdom value of earnings.
WP to Tier1 - From UK

14 Jun 08 Appln Sent
16 Jun 08 HO Recd.
18 Jun 08 Fee deducted
21 Jun 08 Ref. No. Recd. (dated 17 Jun)
19 Aug 08 recv call from CW to collect docs
Ref. No. : PB309*

mjmani

Post by mjmani » Tue Aug 19, 2008 9:46 pm

Hi Arunkumarprs,

First of all congrats to you on your approval.

I am actually relying on my words after seeing the same in result using Self Assessment tool of UKBA. I am in USA continuosly since 2yrs and I earn at both place. I put this exactly in the Self Assessment Tool and it gave me 45 points since the total was over 55K pounds. It had accounted
1-Sep-07 to 31-Aug-08 US Salary X * 1 * UK_US_CurrencyRatio = A
1-Sep-07 to 31-Aug-08 Ind Salary Y * 5.3 * UK_INR_CurrencyRatio = B
It totally A & B and used it for points.

Your case I am not clear whether you showed the Indian component separately or added along with your UK component as one. That may be one reason why you thought so and the actual calculation could have given you more pounds & points. Let me know if I am missing anything here.
Best regards,
Mani

arunkumarprs

Post by arunkumarprs » Tue Aug 19, 2008 10:00 pm

Hi Mjmani...

Can you please tell me what was you answer for "Select the country where you earned the money."

If you would have selected India, i'm sorry your wrong...you earned those amount sitting and working in USA.

So you should select USA.

If you have entered USA, no way it would multiply 5.3

Apart from your currency being in INR, there is nothing you could mention as India(even though it is credited in India bank account in INR).

This is the rule... I have done enough research on this and i have read in this forum of cases being rejected because they use the uplift.

Why dont you mail your local VFS office and ask them directly.... Just for your confirmation.

mjmani wrote:Hi Arunkumarprs,

First of all congrats to you on your approval.

I am actually relying on my words after seeing the same in result using Self Assessment tool of UKBA. I am in USA continuosly since 2yrs and I earn at both place. I put this exactly in the Self Assessment Tool and it gave me 45 points since the total was over 55K pounds. It had accounted
1-Sep-07 to 31-Aug-08 US Salary X * 1 * UK_US_CurrencyRatio = A
1-Sep-07 to 31-Aug-08 Ind Salary Y * 5.3 * UK_INR_CurrencyRatio = B
It totally A & B and used it for points.

Your case I am not clear whether you showed the Indian component separately or added along with your UK component as one. That may be one reason why you thought so and the actual calculation could have given you more pounds & points. Let me know if I am missing anything here.
WP to Tier1 - From UK

14 Jun 08 Appln Sent
16 Jun 08 HO Recd.
18 Jun 08 Fee deducted
21 Jun 08 Ref. No. Recd. (dated 17 Jun)
19 Aug 08 recv call from CW to collect docs
Ref. No. : PB309*

mjmani

Post by mjmani » Tue Aug 19, 2008 10:20 pm

Yes, you are correct! Thanks a lot. You saved me from applying wrong information.
One doubt. 4 months back I was in India on an official trip and been there for like 2 months. I was still on US Salary mode during this period and got allowances in India. How my earnings during this period will be treated?
Best regards,
Mani

mjmani

Post by mjmani » Thu Sep 04, 2008 2:07 am

I also verified with UKBA and their answer is same as Arunkumar's. You can read my question and UKBA's response http://www.immigrationboards.com/viewto ... 679#193679
Best regards,
Mani

aryan20
Newly Registered

EARNINGS

Post by aryan20 » Tue Sep 09, 2008 1:49 pm

Hi,

I was sent on deptation to Uk , in april 2007.
by company-A

( Till ... JUNE 2008 )
i was paid the following way by company-A .

Indian salary -> credited to Indian bank account.
UK allowance -> credited to the FOREX account in the same INDIAN BANK .

1) No UK pay slips for Uk allowance
2) Indian pay slip showed Indian salary( INR ) + Uk allowance in GBP all equated to INR

I got a role with a Uk company , companY-B with a new work permit in June '08.

( June'08 -- till date ) --- company-B , UK
Uk pay slips with regular UK salary in GBP .

can u please advice me - How to claim points for previous earnings in TIER-1 .. IN this situation , or if at all im elligible.

mjmani

Post by mjmani » Tue Sep 09, 2008 2:09 pm

Hi Aryan,
If you're asking if you can apply uplift ratio of 5.3 for yur Indian Salary, the answer is No since you worked (physically present) in UK.
Total Prev Earnings = Salary got from Company A (convert total Indian to UK without uplift) + Salary got from Company B

You need to show Indian Payslips, Indian bank statements for the claimed period -> for Company A earnings
For Company B earnings, you need to show Company B payslips and UK bank statements for the entire period

Hope this clarifies!

If you're asking about how you can calculate your UK earnings to claim points under UK Experience, I am not sure. Do you have above 16,000 pounds from Company B so far? This way you will be safe to just show Company B earnings for UK Experience.
Best regards,
Mani

LondonGuy

Post by LondonGuy » Wed Sep 10, 2008 12:57 pm

If Total Prev Earnings is >£16K then points for UK exp can be claimed as the earning from both the company A & B is earned while working in UK only.

mjmani

Post by mjmani » Thu Sep 11, 2008 3:38 am

Friends,

1) I have a small doubt. My Net Pay in Payslips and Net Pay in bank statements match. However, my employer has not mentioned salary with cents in the Employment Verification Letter. Due to this, there is a 14 cents difference. Is this a problem? Please advice me on how to handle this best. I am planning to apply end of this month once my India payslips reach me after employer authorization.

2) Another question: What if my employer did not send India payslips on time, can I just go ahead with US Salary without claiming Indian Salary? I am getting 45 points if I include India salary. If not, I will get 40 points, still eligible with 75 total points (+ 10 for funds and 10 for English language).
Last edited by mjmani on Thu Sep 11, 2008 1:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Best regards,
Mani

LondonGuy

Post by LondonGuy » Thu Sep 11, 2008 1:36 pm

Dear mjmani

1. You are talking about which letter? If you have payslips & bank statement which are matching then you don't need anything else.

2. There should not be any problem if you don't submit one payslip as they will not count that amount and you have already indicated that you will still qualify.

mjmani

Post by mjmani » Thu Sep 11, 2008 1:59 pm

Thanks for your response LondonGuy,
1) It is Employment Verification Letter given by employer. The same is true in Salary update letter that was given to me while changing to the new salary mode. As you said, if payslips and bank statements match, we don't need any other doc (not even Joining letter / work experience letters?)

2) I earn in US and in India. I receive separate payslips in US by XYZ Corporation, USA and separate in India by XYZ India Private Limited. I get Indian salary payslips by email as PDFs. Now I asked my employer to give me earnings statement for Oct 07 to Sep 08 and this is getting delayed. If I don't get it on time (by end of this month), if I proceed only with US earnings, is there any problem since I am not showing the entire Indian pay at all? I will still have eligibility with just US Salary (I have original payslips, original bank statements with matching net pays).
Best regards,
Mani

anubhav78

Post by anubhav78 » Fri Sep 12, 2008 7:10 am

Hi all,

I think I goofed up in my application.
I have claimed my previous earnings as earned in India and uplifted them by 5.3
I was in the UK for 6 weeks in this period.
After reading these posts I assume that I was wrong uplifting the earnings of those 2 months when I was in the UK.
Gurus- How would this be treated by the CW's?
1. I haven't claimed any points for UK Earnings.
2. I had been paid allowances in cash and TC's while in UK (Hence nothing in the Bank statements)
3. I have mentioned that I hold a prior visa (WP), and I was in the UK for 6 weeks.
4. Also, If I just consider earnings of 10months uplifted(ignoring completely the earnings during those 6 weeks), I still fall in the band for same points..

I am still awaiting any response on my Appl.

geriatrix

Post by geriatrix » Fri Sep 12, 2008 3:16 pm

anubhav78 wrote:Hi all,

I think I goofed up in my application.
I have claimed my previous earnings as earned in India and uplifted them by 5.3
I was in the UK for 6 weeks in this period.
After reading these posts I assume that I was wrong uplifting the earnings of those 2 months when I was in the UK.
Gurus- How would this be treated by the CW's?
1. I haven't claimed any points for UK Earnings.
2. I had been paid allowances in cash and TC's while in UK (Hence nothing in the Bank statements)
3. I have mentioned that I hold a prior visa (WP), and I was in the UK for 6 weeks.
4. Also, If I just consider earnings of 10months uplifted(ignoring completely the earnings during those 6 weeks), I still fall in the band for same points..

I am still awaiting any response on my Appl.
Refrain from making duplicate posts

regards
Life isn't fair, but you can be!

kandasamy

Post by kandasamy » Tue Oct 14, 2008 2:29 pm

Dear All,

I am planning to apply for the Tier 1 application by end of this month. For claiming the pervious earning I need to show the 12 months pay slips i.e. from Oct 2007 to Sep 2008. During this 12 months period I am having two salaries

Oct 2007 --> Indian salary

Nov 2007 to Feb 2008 UK full salary and it is credited to UK salary account and I am getting the basic salary in Indian.

March 2008 to 31 March 2008 Indian full salary credited to my Indian salary account.

April 2008 to Sep 2008 UK full salary and it is credited to UK salary account

While calculating my earning points in BIA tool I am calculating as below.

Oct 2007 Indian salary * exchange rate * 5.3 and selecting the country earned India and .

Nov 2007 to Feb 2008 UK salary and selected the country earned UK, during these period I am getting my India basic salary. The Indian basic salary I converted into GBP and added into my UK salary and not included the uplift ratio

March 2008 Indian salary * exchange rate * 5.3 and selected the country earned India

April 2008 to Sep 2008 UK salary and selected the country earned UK.

Please let me know whether I am using the right method to calculating my pervious earning points. Please clarify this.

Regards
Kandasamy

mjmani

Post by mjmani » Tue Oct 14, 2008 3:29 pm

Hi Kandasamy,
Assuming you were physically present in UK where you mentioned your UK full salary and physically present in India where you used uplift.
If so, your calculation is correct. Best of luck!
Oct 2007 -> Use uplift
Nov 07 to Feb 08 -> Dont use uplift
Mar 08 -> use uplift
Apr 08 to Sep 08 -> Dont use uplift
Best regards,
Mani