ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Will my baby be eligible for British Citizenship if Born In Canada?

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

sasher
Newly Registered

Will my baby be eligible for British Citizenship if Born In Canada?

Post by sasher » Fri Oct 30, 2020 1:16 am

Hi there. So I am a British Citizen - I was naturalised along with my mother and my brother in 2010 following which we became British Citizens. I lived in the UK from Sept 2004 to Nov 2018. Was a citizen for a continuous 8 years exactly Nov 2010 to Nov 2018 before leaving the UK to move to Canada post marriage.

Have been living in Canada since Nov 2018 and I am expecting my first baby in June 2021. My question is: my husband is a Pakistani Citizen and has never been to the UK. In future we may move to the UK. But I want to be able to apply for British Citizenship for my baby.

Will my baby be eligible for Citizenship if they are born in Canada next year? Or Will I need to give birth in the UK in order to be able to apply for my child’s british citizenship? Is the fact that I am a Naturalised British Citizen enough to make my baby eligible for citizenship?

Please advise as my decision to give birth in UK vs Canada depends largely on this factor.

CULLINAN
Respected Guru
Pakistan

Re: Will my baby be eligible for British Citizenship if Born In Canada?

Post by CULLINAN » Fri Oct 30, 2020 2:32 am

Your baby will be British by descent if born in Canada. However, note, your baby will not be able to pass on British Citizenship automatically to next generation if born overseas.
Personal opinion only, not to be mistaken for legal advice. Please DO NOT PM me for immigration advice. Love for All, Hatred for None.

CULLINAN
Respected Guru
Pakistan

Post by CULLINAN » Fri Oct 30, 2020 2:39 am

CULLINAN wrote:
Fri Oct 30, 2020 2:32 am
Your baby will be British by descent if born in Canada. However, note, your baby will not be able to pass on British Citizenship automatically to next generation if born overseas.
Personal opinion only, not to be mistaken for legal advice. Please DO NOT PM me for immigration advice. Love for All, Hatred for None.

sasher
Newly Registered

Post by sasher » Fri Oct 30, 2020 4:12 am

Hi Cullinan- thank you for your reply. I thought by descent meant if I was born in the UK.. but I guess what you mean is because I am a naturalised british citizen, my child will be the one who is british by descent. So what will I do in Canada once baby is born to apply for their british passport? Are you able to advise?

Thank you - fellow ahmadi here also btw.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Fri Oct 30, 2020 7:09 am

Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

CULLINAN
Respected Guru
Pakistan

Post by CULLINAN » Fri Oct 30, 2020 11:25 am

sasher wrote:
Fri Oct 30, 2020 4:12 am
Thank you - fellow ahmadi here also btw.
but I guess what you mean is because I am a naturalised british citizen, my child will be the one who is british by descent
Your understanding is correct.

Glad to know. Love for All. Hatred for None.