ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Zambrano Settled Status EU settlement scheme Paper Application Form - NEW

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

ojoke2020
Newly Registered
Nigeria

Re: Zambrano Settled Status EU settlement scheme Paper Application Form - NEW

Post by ojoke2020 » Thu Oct 29, 2020 12:18 am

snooky wrote:
Wed Oct 28, 2020 10:13 pm
ojoke2020 wrote:
Wed Oct 28, 2020 9:40 pm
snooky wrote:
Wed Oct 28, 2020 8:05 pm
ojoke2020 wrote:
Wed Oct 28, 2020 7:32 pm

@IST, Thank you for your reply, much appreciated

@Greatgreat, thanks so much. As for your question I do not have any existing leave to remain. I've made many applications in the past under Appendix FM and were refused.

@Snooky, thanks a lot. Pls., kindly expatiate more on your second opinion for new application and given appeal under regulation 36, I do not understand
I'm been given an appeal option now to the first tier tribunal under immigration citizen's Right Appeal (EU EXIT) REGULATION 2020.
your second opinion for new application and given appeal under regulation 36, I do not understand
I'm been given an appeal option now to the first tier tribunal under immigration citizen's Right Appeal (EU EXIT) REGULATION 2020.

Meaning you can do a new application because if that application is refused, HO will have to give you am appeal right with the FTT so that a neutral body will decide the outcome. I dont trust HO on AR.

@ Snooky
Thank you for your patience, for more clarity on this same issue do you mean I should put in a fresh ( EU Settlement Scheme - Zambrano) application and if it is refused again, then, the HO will give me appeal right with FTT under regulation 36?

In this refusal I have an option to appeal with FTT under Immigration Citizens' Rights Appeal(EU EXIT) regulations 2020.

1. Please what is the difference between regulation 2020(EU Exit) and 36
2. Is it advisable to appeal this current refusal under regulation 2020 as stated in the refusal decision given to me to avoid AR of the HO and allow a neutral body to take the decision as you suggested
OR
Make a fresh paper application?

Sorry, good. Appeal and you will win ok
Thank you @Snooky.

Please is there a way you can help out in how to tackle this appeal in a proper way. I have not seen any one with EU Settlement Scheme appeal here other than AR.

I have an ongoing appeal for DFR1 (STILL WAITING FOR THE HEARING DATE)
Can the skeleton argument used in DFR1(share on this platform) be equally used for EU Settlement. Scheme?
Also, can I be directed to the link for EU Settlement Scheme appeal please.
Is it the same online procedure as DFR1?

lolwe
inactive
Zimbabwe

Post by lolwe » Thu Oct 29, 2020 6:13 am

Leave outside the Rules [LOTR]

Types:
  • Discretionary Leave - Article 3 medical cases, Modern slavery and trafficking cases, Discretionary Leave pre-2012
  • Article 8 - family life, private life
  • Compelling compassionate circumstances
  • Three-month concession for carers
  • Grenfell Tower survivors
  • British Nationals Overseas in Hong Kong
Discretionary Leave v Article 8
The Secretary of State has the power to grant leave on a discretionary basis outside the Immigration Rules from the residual discretion under the Immigration Act 1971. Discretionary leave (DL) - where it is not possible to apply under the immigration rules or under the ‘Leave outside the Rules’ (LOTR) for Article 8 reasons (the right to respect for private and family life). An individual given DL by the Home Office may be eligible to apply for permanent settlement after ten years of continuous residence in the UK.

Refusals
Where it has been decided that the facts of the case do not merit a grant of leave to remain outside the Rules, the application is likely to be refused under paragraph 322(1) of the Immigration Rules. This refusal decision is required to be sufficiently detailed to satisfy an applicant and the Tribunal, should an appeal be lodged, that the application has been properly considered in line with the terms. Its contents will form the basis of Home Office argument in any appeals explanatory statement or in the event of a further legal challenge.

Appeal rights
Where a human rights claim has not been decided as part of the consideration, applicants who apply for a grant of leave outside the Immigration Rules and are refused will not have a right of appeal against the decision or an administrative review of the decision. An applicant should accompany the application with detailed arguments also focused on private and family life grounds to be maintain their right of appeal.

snooky

Post by snooky » Thu Oct 29, 2020 7:08 am

ojoke2020 wrote:
Thu Oct 29, 2020 12:18 am
snooky wrote:
ojoke2020 wrote:
snooky wrote:
Wed Oct 28, 2020 8:05 pm

your second opinion for new application and given appeal under regulation 36, I do not understand

Meaning you can do a new application because if that application is refused, HO will have to give you am appeal right with the FTT so that a neutral body will decide the outcome. I dont trust HO on AR.

@ Snooky
Thank you for your patience, for more clarity on this same issue do you mean I should put in a fresh ( EU Settlement Scheme - Zambrano) application and if it is refused again, then, the HO will give me appeal right with FTT under regulation 36?

In this refusal I have an option to appeal with FTT under Immigration Citizens' Rights Appeal(EU EXIT) regulations 2020.

2. Is it advisable to appeal this current refusal under regulation 2020 as stated in the refusal decision given to me to avoid AR of the HO and allow a neutral body to take the decision as you suggested
OR

Thank you @Snooky.

Please is there a way you can help out in how to tackle this appeal in a proper way. I have not seen any one with EU Settlement Scheme appeal here other than AR.

Can the skeleton argument used in DFR1(share on this platform) be equally used for EU Settlement. Scheme?
Hi

https://www.gov.uk/immigration-asylum-t ... hin-the-uk

The process and the skeleton argument draft is the same.

Your Drf1 appeal will be allowed by the judge so don't worry. I have said over and over again that HO has left the Drf1 application decisions for the courts for you to meet the term LAST RESORT under their policy. Just that due to covid19 things are slow but trust me the courts are working and allowing Zambrano application more than ever.

Mecry2020

Post by Mecry2020 » Thu Oct 29, 2020 7:30 am

Morning Everyone,

I am on Step 6 of my DRF 1 appeal but it wont accept my appeal on box 6. Error message saying

"This page is missing information. Please correct following: Section 3 D6 - (2000) characters allowed".

I have copied and pasted less than 2000 words still receiving this message.

Please help!!!

Mecry2020

Post by Mecry2020 » Thu Oct 29, 2020 7:30 am

Morning Everyone,

I am on Step 6 of my DRF 1 appeal but it wont accept my appeal on box 6. Error message saying

"This page is missing information. Please correct following: Section 3 D6 - (2000) characters allowed".

Please help!!!

snooky

Post by snooky » Thu Oct 29, 2020 8:02 am

@Ojoke2020

Refusal Explanation Rule EU11 Condition 3

(a) The applicant:
(i) is a relevant EEA citizen; or
(ii) is (or, as the case may be, for the relevant period was) a family member of a relevant EEA citizen; or
(iii) is (or, as the case may be, for the relevant period was) a family member who has retained the right of residence by virtue of a relationship with a relevant EEA citizen; or
(iv) is a person with a derivative right to reside; or
(v) is a person with a Zambrano right to reside; or
(vi) is a person who had a derivative or Zambrano right to reside; and
(b) The applicant has completed a continuous qualifying period of five years in any (or any combination) of those categories; and
(c) Since then no supervening event has occurred

The HO believe that under rule 11(V) Condition 3 they don't think you're are a family member of a British citizen and as such they wouldn't confer the qualification right adopted from reg 16(1) and 16(5) on you.

Very stupid of the decision maker who think that he/she can decide which route to follow for you.

Refusal Explanation Rule EU14 Condition 3

(a) The applicant is:
(i) a relevant EEA citizen; or
(ii) a family member of a relevant EEA citizen; or
(iii) a family member who has retained the right of residence by virtue of a relationship with a relevant EEA citizen; or
(iv) a person with a derivative right to reside; or
(v) a person with a Zambrano right to reside; and
(b) The applicant is not eligible for indefinite leave to enter or remain under this Appendix solely because they have completed a continuous qualifying period of less than five years

The same as the above as the EU11 deals with Indefinite leave to remain (settled status) then EU14 deals with limited leave to remain (presettled status)

HO is decision makers have now turn themselves as immigration advisors. Poor them.

No law permits HO to choose a route for you by so doing they have erred and your case will be allowed. In your refusal they didn't refuse of you not meeting the reg 16(1 & 5) so good news

snooky

Post by snooky » Thu Oct 29, 2020 8:06 am

Mecry2020 wrote:
Thu Oct 29, 2020 7:30 am
Morning Everyone,

Please help!!!
There must be something that you have done wrongly. It has happened to one member here before.

Just delete everything and start the process again. Be careful and vigilant to answer all questions correctly and relevant to you

lolwe
inactive
Zimbabwe

Post by lolwe » Thu Oct 29, 2020 10:11 am

Appendix EU - Annex 1 Definitions - person with a derivative right to reside

A Zambrano carer can not obtain settlement by applying as a person with a derivative right to reside. Zambrano carers are EXCLUDED from the definition of a "person with a derivative right to reside" because they qualify under paragraph 5 of regulation 16(1) of the EEA Regulations 2016. Therefore, the only way for a Zambrano carer with leave to remain to be granted settlement would be outside the rules.
a person who has satisfied the Secretary of State, including (where applicable) by the required evidence of family relationship, that, by the specified date, they are (and for the relevant period have been), or (as the case may be) for the relevant period in which they rely on having been a person with a derivative right to reside (before they then became a person who had a derivative or Zambrano right to reside) they were, resident for a continuous qualifying period in the UK with a derivative right to reside by virtue of regulation 16(1) of the EEA Regulations:

(a) regardless of whether, in respect of the criterion in regulation 16(2)(b)(ii) of the EEA Regulations, the EEA citizen meets, or (as the case may be) met, the requirement in regulation 4(1)(c)(ii) of the EEA Regulations for comprehensive sickness insurance cover in the UK; and

(b) regardless (where the person was previously granted limited leave to enter or remain under this Appendix as a person with a derivative right to reside and was under the age of 18 years at the date of application for that leave) of whether, in respect of the criterion in regulation 16(2)(b)(i) or regulation 16(6)(a) of the EEA Regulations, they are, or (as the case may be) were, under the age of 18 years; and

(c) excluding a person satisfying the criteria in:
(i) paragraph (5) of regulation 16(1) of the EEA Regulations; or
(ii) paragraph (6) of that regulation where that person’s primary carer is, or (as the case may be) was, entitled to a derivative right to reside in the UK under paragraph (5)
Paragraph (5) of regulation 16(1) of the EEA Regulations
(5) The criteria in this paragraph are that—
(a)the person is the primary carer of a British citizen (“BC”);
(b)BC is residing in the United Kingdom; and
(c)BC would be unable to reside in the United Kingdom or in another EEA State if the person left the United Kingdom for an indefinite period.

The Immigration (European Economic Area) Regulations 2016
https://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/201 ... ulation/16

Immigration Rules Appendix EU
https://www.gov.uk/guidance/immigration ... ppendix-eu

Catalley09
Zimbabwe

Post by Catalley09 » Thu Oct 29, 2020 11:00 am

Mecry2020 wrote:
Thu Oct 29, 2020 7:30 am
Morning Everyone,

Please help!!!
Copy and paste does not work , tried it several times over the weekend , you need to type everything in,

ojoke2020
Newly Registered
Nigeria

Post by ojoke2020 » Thu Oct 29, 2020 12:39 pm

snooky wrote:
Thu Oct 29, 2020 7:08 am
ojoke2020 wrote:
Thu Oct 29, 2020 12:18 am
snooky wrote:
ojoke2020 wrote:

@ Snooky

OR

Thank you @Snooky.

Hi

https://www.gov.uk/immigration-asylum-t ... hin-the-uk

The process and the skeleton argument draft is the same.

Your Drf1 appeal will be allowed by the judge so don't worry. I have said over and over again that HO has left the Drf1 application decisions for the courts for you to meet the term LAST RESORT under their policy. Just that due to covid19 things are slow but trust me the courts are working and allowing Zambrano application more than ever.
[/quo

@Snooky,
Thank you for the link.

gee4
Nigeria

Post by gee4 » Thu Oct 29, 2020 2:20 pm

Hi everyone, I have been following this forum for a while now and I need your help.

I have been refused a Zambrano application based on not having made application through FM before. I have copied @snooky appeal format and have modified it as below. Can you kindle look through and help with amendments as appropriate please.

Appeal No. xxxx
IN THE FIRST-TIER TRIBUNAL (IMMIGRATION AND ASYLUM CHAMBER)

BETWEEN
xxx
Appellant
THE SECRETARY OF STATE FOR THE HOME DEPARTMENT
Respondent

SKELETON ARGUMENT OF THE APPELLANTS

1. This skeleton argument is in support of this appeal against the decision of the Secretary of State for the Home Department ("the Respondent") dated 19 October 2020 to refuse the Appellants' applications for derivative residence cards through the Zambrano route.
Accordingly this skeleton argument will refer to xxxxx as "the Appellants"

2. xxxxx who currently suffered from anxiety and depression and has a British son (xxxxx) with autistic spectrum disorder has suffered with more stress due to Home Office delay.

Facts
1 References to the Appellants' and Respondent's bundles are in the format [A/ 1] and [R/ l] respectively

3. The Appellant xxxxx is Nigerian ([R/202]) and was born on xxxxx. She was married to xxxx a EU national in xxxx x
4 The Appellant applied for derivative residence cards in 2013 [R/ 196] based on her marriage and she was issued with a 5 years residence card in xxxx
5 xxxx has a son xxxx who is a British national born xxxx
6 xxx applied in March 2019 to regularize her visa which expired in January 2019 by phoning the EU Settlement Centre to enquire if she can make an application to the scheme based on the fact that she is still married to an Eu national but they have been separated. xxx was guided to make this application online after it was confirmed she was eligible to apply through the scheme
7 By letter dated 03 June 2020 the Respondent refused the Appellants' application (R/208-12).
8 xxxx phoned the EU settlement on 03 June to enquire if she can apply through the Zambrano route based on her British national son, She was also deemed eligible after she answered the eligibility questions and a paper application was sent out to her home address.
9 xxx received the form on 11 June 2020, she completed the form and posted back to the Respondent on same day.
10 By letter dated 19 October 2020 the Respondent refused the Appellant's application (R/208-12). No issue in that refusal was taken as to the Appellant's status as parent and sole primary carers of her EEA-national child. The Respondent did not address the relevant case-law and Regulations at all. Instead, the sole reason given for the refusal of their application was as follows:

'You have made no attempt to regularise your stay in the UK through an application made under the UK 's domestic immigration law

The Zambrano route
7. The Court of Justice of the European Union ("CJEU") considered in Ruiz Zambrano v Office national de I 'emploi (C-34 09) 8 March 2011 the effect of EU citizenship as established by Article 20 of the Treaty on the Functioning of the European Union in circumstances, such as these, where non-EEA national parents are the primary carers of EEA national children. From paragraph [42], the CJEU set out that a refusal to grant a right of residence to a third country national with dependent EU citizen minor
children would deprive those children of the genuine enjoyment of their right of citizenship. The Court said:
"[42] [... ] Article 20 TFEUprecludes,national measures which have the effect o de rivin citizens o the Union o the enuine eWo mento the substance o the rights couferred by virtue Qf their status as citizens Qf the Union (see, to that effect, Rottmann, paragraph 42).
[43] A refusal to grant a right of residence to a third counüy national with de endent minor children in the Member State where those children are nationals and reside. and also a refusal to grant such a person a work permit, has such an effect.
[44] It must be assumed that such a refusal would lead to a situation where those children. citizens qf the Union. would have to leave the territory of the Union in order to accompany their parents. L...] In those circumstances, those citizens of the Union would, in fact, be unable to exercise the substance of the rights conferred on them by virtue of their status as citizens of the Union. [45] Accordingly, the answer to the questions referred is that Article 20 TFEU is to be interpreted as meaning that it precludes a Member State from refusing a third country national upon whom his minor children, who are European Union citizens, are dependent, a right of residence in the Member State ofresidence and nationality of those children, andfrom refusing to grant a workpermit to that third country national, in sofar as such decisions deprive those children ofthe genuine enjoyment ofthe substance ofthe rights attaching to the status ofEuropean Union citizen.
8. Amendments to the Immigration (European Economic Area) Regulations 2006 ("the Regulations") put the decision in Zambrano on a legislative footing in domestic law. Section ISA, 'Derived rights of residence' of the Regulations provides:
(1) A person ('P ) who is not [an exempt person] and who satisfies that criteria in paragraph (2), (3), [(4A)] or (5) of this regulation is entitled to a derivative right to reside in the United Kingdom for as long as P satisfies the relevant criteria.
(4A) P satisfies the criteria in this paragraph if-
(a) P is the primary carer Qf a British citizen (xxxxx); (b) the relevant British citizen is residing in the United Kingdom; and (c) the relevant British citizen would be unable to reside in the UK or in another EEA State if P were required to leave.
9. In considering the scope of the Zambrano route, the CJEU and domestic courts have stressed a distinction between "choice" and "compulsion". It is not sufficient that if an appellant were refused a right of residence the EU citizen would choose to leave the territory of the EU; it is required that they would be compelled to leave the EU if the non-EU citizen so left. For example, in Dereci and Others v Bundesministeriumfiir Inneres (C-256 Il) 15 November 2011 the CJEU held at [67]:
The mere fact that it might appear desirable to a national of a Member State, for economic reasons or in order to keep his family together in the territory of the Union, for the members of his family who do not have the nationality o fa Member State to be able to reside with him in the territory of the Union, is not sufficient in itself to support the view that the Union citizen will be forced to leave the Union, if such a right is not granted. '
10. This distinction was particularly relevant in Dereci because in that case, unlike in Zambrano, one parent of the EU citizen children was an EU citizen herself.
Accordingly it would have been an exercise of choice to keep the family together by leaving the territory of the EU. Clearly that is not the case as regards the Appellant:
she is African national without leave to remain in the United Kingdom.
11. The Court of Appeal considered recently derived routes of residence through the Zambrano route in Patel v Secretary of State for the Home Department [2017] EWCA
Civ 2028 in light of the decision of the CJEU in Chavez-Vilchez v Raad van Bestuur van de Sociale Verbekeringsbank and others (C-113 15) 10 May 2017. In his consideration of Chavez-Vilchez, Irwin LJ said as follows:
'The Court confirmed that the relevant question was whether the children would, in practice. be compelled to leave the EU if their mothers were obliged to leave the territory of the EU (paragraph 65). That is a question of fact in each case, and the Court touched on a number ofj&tctors relevant to that question:
"68. In that regard, it must be recalled that, in the judgment Q/ 6
December 2012, O and ()/hers (C-35611 and C-357, 11,
776, paragraphs 51 and 56), the Court held that factors of relevance, for the purposes of determining whether a refusal to grant a right Q/residence to a third-country' national parent of a child who is a
Union citizen means that that child is deprived of the genuine eujoyment Q/ the substance of the rights conferred on him by that status, include the question o/'who has custody of the child and whether that child is legally, financially or emotionally dependent on the third-country: national parent.
69. As regards the second factor, the Court has stated that it is the relationship (21dependency between the Union citizen who is a minor and the third country national who is refused a right of residence that is liable to jeopardise the effectiveness of Union citizenship, since it is that dependency that would lead to the Union citizen being obliged, in practice, to leave not only the territory Q/ the Member State Q/which he is a national but also that of the European Union as a whole, as a consequence Q/such a refusal T...]
70. In this case, in order to assess the risk that a particular child, M'/IO is a Union citizen, might be compelled io lecn•e the territory of the European Union and thereby be deprived Q/ the genuine enjoyment of the substance of the rights conferred on him by Article 20 TFEU if the child's third-country national parent were to be rejilsed a right of residence in the Member Slate concerned, it is important to determine. in each case at issue in the main proceedings. which parent is the rima ' carero the child and whether there is in åct a relationshi o dependency between the child and the third-countrv national parent. As part ofthat assessment, the competent authorities must take account of the right to respectforfamily life, as stated in Article 7 of the Charter of Fundamental Rights Qflhe European Union, that article
requiring to be read in conjunction with the obligation to take info consideration the best interests Qfthe child, recognised in Article 24(2) of that charter.
12. The reasoning of the Respondent's decision letter is so bare that it requires some extrapolation. In Patel Irwin LJ said at [76] the following in respect of non-British nationals who marry British nationals and have children:
'Quite a number "years ago, Parliament chose to abrogate the historic approach that marriage io a Brüish citizen would bring, in effect automatically, residence in Britain for the spouse. No such automatic consequence now follows, see s. 6(2) Qi'/he British Nationa/üy Act
198] and s.2 QIfhe Nationality, Immigration and Asvlum Aci 2002 . Those who marry a British citizen and have children, without having (or acquiring) leave to remain, do so at the risk that they may be compelled to leave the country', facing the real quandary ihai arisesfor these families. The Zambrano principle cannot be regarded as a back-door route to residence by such nonEU citizen parents.
13. Clearly, that is not the case in respect of many of seek to vindicate their EU citizenship rights by way of the Zambrano route (including the Appellants).
Nonetheless the Respondent issued on 2 May 2019, a policy entitled 'Free movement rights: derivative rights of residence' v.5 ("the Policy"'). This Guidance sets out at p.52 that, in respect of every Zambrano application:
"In the case of [Patel] the Court ofAppeal ruled that someone holding leave to remain under domestic law would not benefit from a derivative right to reside. The Court also ruled that Zambrano is not a back-door route to residence for those who have a British citizen child without having or acquiring leave to remain.
This means that a Zambrano application must be refused if the applicant: Has never made an application under Appendix FM to the
Immigration Rules or any other Article 8 ECHR claim, where that avenue is available '
Submissions
14. The refusal of the Appellant’s application for derivative residence card is contrary to the Regulations. They plainly satisfy the following criteria under paragraph 4A of section 15A of those Regulations:
a. The Appellant is the primary carer of her British citizen children, who is 5 years old. See, by way of example, [5] of xxxxx witness statement.
b. Her British citizen child reside in the UK. See, by way of example, BT's EHC Plan at [A/23].
c. Her British citizen child would be "unable to reside in the UK or another EEA State if[the Appellant] were required to leave. " Any suggestion that these child would remain in the UK without their parents is fanciful.
15. Any preference on the part of the Respondent for an Appellant to apply by a different route first is irrelevant. Section 15A of the Regulations contains no provison that a human rights application (e.g. by way of Appendix FM) be made before an application under the Zambrano route.
16. The Court is bound to consider the best interests of the family's children, whether by operation of section 55 of the Borders, Citizenship and Immigration Act 2009 or the citation of Chavez-Vilchez cited above at [11]. This strongly militates in favour of a grant of derivative residence to their parents.
17. Further, it is by no means certain that an application under Appendix FM could be made, or would succeed. There are clear practical obstacles in the making of an application as set out in [17-8] of xxxx witness statement. Even if such an application were to be made, it is entirely uncertain that it would be granted by the Respondent.
18. In any event, the change to the Policy is at odds with the judgment in Patel itself. At [42], Irwin LJ considered the Secretary of State' s submission which emphasised that an appellant in Patel had never made an application for leave to remain in the UK on family life grounds. The Court' s response was unequivocal
"Ipause to remark that such an application might well be open to her. We have seen material in the course of the case which might well be relevant to such an application, although it cannot bear upon the decision we must take.
19. It follows that the application of the Policy in this case is not contrary just to Zambrano and the Regulations. It is contrary to the case which inspired it
Conclusion
20. The Court is respectfully invited to allow the appeal.

ojoke2020
Newly Registered
Nigeria

Post by ojoke2020 » Thu Oct 29, 2020 2:32 pm

snooky wrote:
Thu Oct 29, 2020 8:02 am
@Ojoke2020

Refusal Explanation Rule EU11 Condition 3

(a) The applicant:
(i) is a relevant EEA citizen; or
(ii) is (or, as the case may be, for the relevant period was) a family member of a relevant EEA citizen; or
(iii) is (or, as the case may be, for the relevant period was) a family member who has retained the right of residence by virtue of a relationship with a relevant EEA citizen; or
(iv) is a person with a derivative right to reside; or
(v) is a person with a Zambrano right to reside; or
(vi) is a person who had a derivative or Zambrano right to reside; and
(b) The applicant has completed a continuous qualifying period of five years in any (or any combination) of those categories; and
(c) Since then no supervening event has occurred

The HO believe that under rule 11(V) Condition 3 they don't think you're are a family member of a British citizen and as such they wouldn't confer the qualification right adopted from reg 16(1) and 16(5) on you.

Very stupid of the decision maker who think that he/she can decide which route to follow for you.

Refusal Explanation Rule EU14 Condition 3

(a) The applicant is:
(i) a relevant EEA citizen; or
(ii) a family member of a relevant EEA citizen; or
(iii) a family member who has retained the right of residence by virtue of a relationship with a relevant EEA citizen; or
(iv) a person with a derivative right to reside; or
(v) a person with a Zambrano right to reside; and
(b) The applicant is not eligible for indefinite leave to enter or remain under this Appendix solely because they have completed a continuous qualifying period of less than five years

The same as the above as the EU11 deals with Indefinite leave to remain (settled status) then EU14 deals with limited leave to remain (presettled status)

HO is decision makers have now turn themselves as immigration advisors. Poor them.

No law permits HO to choose a route for you by so doing they have erred and your case will be allowed. In your refusal they didn't refuse of you not meeting the reg 16(1 & 5) so good news

@Snooky

Thanks for the above explanations on EU11 AND 14.
They are just looking for a loop hole to deny us.

How do you think I can tackle/fight this EU-EXIT REGULATION 2020?

I went to check what the EU-EXIT REGULATION 2020 says, mainly the appeal is meant for application made on or after exit day (11 pm on 31 January 2020). My application was made before this date(September 2019). I keep wondering why I was given appeal under this rule.

What appeal ground can I use that will apply to this rule?

snooky

Post by snooky » Thu Oct 29, 2020 2:58 pm

gee4 wrote:
Thu Oct 29, 2020 2:20 pm
Hi everyone, I have been following this forum for a while now and I need your help.

I have been refused a Zambrano application based on not having made application through FM before. I have copied @snooky appeal format and have modified it as below. Can you kindle look through and help with amendments as appropriate please.

Appeal No. xxxx

BETWEEN
xxx
Appellant
Respondent

1. This skeleton argument is in support of this appeal against the decision of the Secretary of State for the Home Department ("the Respondent") dated 19 October 2020 to refuse the Appellants' applications for derivative residence cards through the Zambrano route.

2. xxxxx who currently suffered from anxiety and depression and has a British son (xxxxx) with autistic spectrum disorder has suffered with more stress due to Home Office delay.

Facts
1 References to the Appellants' and Respondent's bundles are in the format [A/ 1] and [R/ l] respectively

3. The Appellant xxxxx is Nigerian ([R/202]) and was born on xxxxx. She was married to xxxx a EU national in xxxx x
4 The Appellant applied for derivative residence cards in 2013 [R/ 196] based on her marriage and she was issued with a 5 years residence card in xxxx
6 xxx applied in March 2019 to regularize her visa which expired in January 2019 by phoning the EU Settlement Centre to enquire if she can make an application to the scheme based on the fact that she is still married to an Eu national but they have been separated. xxx was guided to make this application online after it was confirmed she was eligible to apply through the scheme
7 By letter dated 03 June 2020 the Respondent refused the Appellants' application (R/208-12).
8 xxxx phoned the EU settlement on 03 June to enquire if she can apply through the Zambrano route based on her British national son, She was also deemed eligible after she answered the eligibility questions and a paper application was sent out to her home address.
9 xxx received the form on 11 June 2020, she completed the form and posted back to the Respondent on same day.
10 By letter dated 19 October 2020 the Respondent refused the Appellant's application (R/208-12). No issue in that refusal was taken as to the Appellant's status as parent and sole primary carers of her EEA-national child. The Respondent did not address the relevant case-law and Regulations at all. Instead, the sole reason given for the refusal of their application was as follows:

'You have made no attempt to regularise your stay in the UK through an application made under the UK 's domestic immigration law

The Zambrano route
7. The Court of Justice of the European Union ("CJEU") considered in Ruiz Zambrano v Office national de I 'emploi (C-34 09) 8 March 2011 the effect of EU citizenship as established by Article 20 of the Treaty on the Functioning of the European Union in circumstances, such as these, where non-EEA national parents are the primary carers of EEA national children. From paragraph [42], the CJEU set out that a refusal to grant a right of residence to a third country national with dependent EU citizen minor
children would deprive those children of the genuine enjoyment of their right of citizenship. The Court said:
"[42] [... ] Article 20 TFEUprecludes,national measures which have the effect o de rivin citizens o the Union o the enuine eWo mento the substance o the rights couferred by virtue Qf their status as citizens Qf the Union (see, to that effect, Rottmann, paragraph 42).
[43] A refusal to grant a right of residence to a third counüy national with de endent minor children in the Member State where those children are nationals and reside. and also a refusal to grant such a person a work permit, has such an effect.
[44] It must be assumed that such a refusal would lead to a situation where those children. citizens qf the Union. would have to leave the territory of the Union in order to accompany their parents. L...] In those circumstances, those citizens of the Union would, in fact, be unable to exercise the substance of the rights conferred on them by virtue of their status as citizens of the Union. [45] Accordingly, the answer to the questions referred is that Article 20 TFEU is to be interpreted as meaning that it precludes a Member State from refusing a third country national upon whom his minor children, who are European Union citizens, are dependent, a right of residence in the Member State ofresidence and nationality of those children, andfrom refusing to grant a workpermit to that third country national, in sofar as such decisions deprive those children ofthe genuine enjoyment ofthe substance ofthe rights attaching to the status ofEuropean Union citizen.
8. Amendments to the Immigration (European Economic Area) Regulations 2006 ("the Regulations") put the decision in Zambrano on a legislative footing in domestic law. Section ISA, 'Derived rights of residence' of the Regulations provides:
(1) A person ('P ) who is not [an exempt person] and who satisfies that criteria in paragraph (2), (3), [(4A)] or (5) of this regulation is entitled to a derivative right to reside in the United Kingdom for as long as P satisfies the relevant criteria.
(a) P is the primary carer Qf a British citizen (xxxxx); (b) the relevant British citizen is residing in the United Kingdom; and (c) the relevant British citizen would be unable to reside in the UK or in another EEA State if P were required to leave.
9. In considering the scope of the Zambrano route, the CJEU and domestic courts have stressed a distinction between "choice" and "compulsion". It is not sufficient that if an appellant were refused a right of residence the EU citizen would choose to leave the territory of the EU; it is required that they would be compelled to leave the EU if the non-EU citizen so left. For example, in Dereci and Others v Bundesministeriumfiir Inneres (C-256 Il) 15 November 2011 the CJEU held at [67]:
The mere fact that it might appear desirable to a national of a Member State, for economic reasons or in order to keep his family together in the territory of the Union, for the members of his family who do not have the nationality o fa Member State to be able to reside with him in the territory of the Union, is not sufficient in itself to support the view that the Union citizen will be forced to leave the Union, if such a right is not granted. '
10. This distinction was particularly relevant in Dereci because in that case, unlike in Zambrano, one parent of the EU citizen children was an EU citizen herself.
Accordingly it would have been an exercise of choice to keep the family together by leaving the territory of the EU. Clearly that is not the case as regards the Appellant:
11. The Court of Appeal considered recently derived routes of residence through the Zambrano route in Patel v Secretary of State for the Home Department [2017] EWCA
Civ 2028 in light of the decision of the CJEU in Chavez-Vilchez v Raad van Bestuur van de Sociale Verbekeringsbank and others (C-113 15) 10 May 2017. In his consideration of Chavez-Vilchez, Irwin LJ said as follows:
'The Court confirmed that the relevant question was whether the children would, in practice. be compelled to leave the EU if their mothers were obliged to leave the territory of the EU (paragraph 65). That is a question of fact in each case, and the Court touched on a number ofj&tctors relevant to that question:
776, paragraphs 51 and 56), the Court held that factors of relevance, for the purposes of determining whether a refusal to grant a right Q/residence to a third-country' national parent of a child who is a
Union citizen means that that child is deprived of the genuine eujoyment Q/ the substance of the rights conferred on him by that status, include the question o/'who has custody of the child and whether that child is legally, financially or emotionally dependent on the third-country: national parent.
69. As regards the second factor, the Court has stated that it is the relationship (21dependency between the Union citizen who is a minor and the third country national who is refused a right of residence that is liable to jeopardise the effectiveness of Union citizenship, since it is that dependency that would lead to the Union citizen being obliged, in practice, to leave not only the territory Q/ the Member State Q/which he is a national but also that of the European Union as a whole, as a consequence Q/such a refusal T...]
70. In this case, in order to assess the risk that a particular child, M'/IO is a Union citizen, might be compelled io lecn•e the territory of the European Union and thereby be deprived Q/ the genuine enjoyment of the substance of the rights conferred on him by Article 20 TFEU if the child's third-country national parent were to be rejilsed a right of residence in the Member Slate concerned, it is important to determine. in each case at issue in the main proceedings. which parent is the rima ' carero the child and whether there is in åct a relationshi o dependency between the child and the third-countrv national parent. As part ofthat assessment, the competent authorities must take account of the right to respectforfamily life, as stated in Article 7 of the Charter of Fundamental Rights Qflhe European Union, that article
requiring to be read in conjunction with the obligation to take info consideration the best interests Qfthe child, recognised in Article 24(2) of that charter.
12. The reasoning of the Respondent's decision letter is so bare that it requires some extrapolation. In Patel Irwin LJ said at [76] the following in respect of non-British nationals who marry British nationals and have children:
'Quite a number "years ago, Parliament chose to abrogate the historic approach that marriage io a Brüish citizen would bring, in effect automatically, residence in Britain for the spouse. No such automatic consequence now follows, see s. 6(2) Qi'/he British Nationa/üy Act
198] and s.2 QIfhe Nationality, Immigration and Asvlum Aci 2002 . Those who marry a British citizen and have children, without having (or acquiring) leave to remain, do so at the risk that they may be compelled to leave the country', facing the real quandary ihai arisesfor these families. The Zambrano principle cannot be regarded as a back-door route to residence by such nonEU citizen parents.
13. Clearly, that is not the case in respect of many of seek to vindicate their EU citizenship rights by way of the Zambrano route (including the Appellants).
Nonetheless the Respondent issued on 2 May 2019, a policy entitled 'Free movement rights: derivative rights of residence' v.5 ("the Policy"'). This Guidance sets out at p.52 that, in respect of every Zambrano application:
"In the case of [Patel] the Court ofAppeal ruled that someone holding leave to remain under domestic law would not benefit from a derivative right to reside. The Court also ruled that Zambrano is not a back-door route to residence for those who have a British citizen child without having or acquiring leave to remain.
This means that a Zambrano application must be refused if the applicant: Has never made an application under Appendix FM to the
Immigration Rules or any other Article 8 ECHR claim, where that avenue is available '
Submissions
14. The refusal of the Appellant’s application for derivative residence card is contrary to the Regulations. They plainly satisfy the following criteria under paragraph 4A of section 15A of those Regulations:
a. The Appellant is the primary carer of her British citizen children, who is 5 years old. See, by way of example, [5] of xxxxx witness statement.
b. Her British citizen child reside in the UK. See, by way of example, BT's EHC Plan at [A/23].
c. Her British citizen child would be "unable to reside in the UK or another EEA State if[the Appellant] were required to leave. " Any suggestion that these child would remain in the UK without their parents is fanciful.
15. Any preference on the part of the Respondent for an Appellant to apply by a different route first is irrelevant. Section 15A of the Regulations contains no provison that a human rights application (e.g. by way of Appendix FM) be made before an application under the Zambrano route.
16. The Court is bound to consider the best interests of the family's children, whether by operation of section 55 of the Borders, Citizenship and Immigration Act 2009 or the citation of Chavez-Vilchez cited above at [11]. This strongly militates in favour of a grant of derivative residence to their parents.
17. Further, it is by no means certain that an application under Appendix FM could be made, or would succeed. There are clear practical obstacles in the making of an application as set out in [17-8] of xxxx witness statement. Even if such an application were to be made, it is entirely uncertain that it would be granted by the Respondent.
18. In any event, the change to the Policy is at odds with the judgment in Patel itself. At [42], Irwin LJ considered the Secretary of State' s submission which emphasised that an appellant in Patel had never made an application for leave to remain in the UK on family life grounds. The Court' s response was unequivocal
"Ipause to remark that such an application might well be open to her. We have seen material in the course of the case which might well be relevant to such an application, although it cannot bear upon the decision we must take.
19. It follows that the application of the Policy in this case is not contrary just to Zambrano and the Regulations. It is contrary to the case which inspired it
Conclusion
You add most things from the pictures also
Attachments
Screenshot_20201029-144015_Chrome.jpg
Support Argument
Screenshot_20201029-144015_Chrome.jpg (539.34 KiB) Viewed 2011 times
Screenshot_20201029-144305_Chrome.jpg
Support Argument
Screenshot_20201029-144305_Chrome.jpg (460.73 KiB) Viewed 2011 times
Screenshot_20201029-144401_Chrome.jpg
Support Argument
Screenshot_20201029-144401_Chrome.jpg (674.06 KiB) Viewed 2011 times
Screenshot_20201029-144453_Chrome.jpg
Support Argument
Screenshot_20201029-144453_Chrome.jpg (87.04 KiB) Viewed 2011 times

snooky

Post by snooky » Thu Oct 29, 2020 3:00 pm

snooky wrote:
Thu Oct 29, 2020 2:58 pm
gee4 wrote:
Thu Oct 29, 2020 2:20 pm

Appeal No. xxxx

BETWEEN
xxx
Appellant
Respondent

Facts

The Zambrano route
Submissions
Conclusion
You add most things from the pictures also
Continuation of the support argument
Attachments
Screenshot_20201029-144607_Chrome.jpg
Support Argument
Screenshot_20201029-144607_Chrome.jpg (445.74 KiB) Viewed 2010 times
Screenshot_20201029-144617_Chrome.jpg
Support Argument
Screenshot_20201029-144617_Chrome.jpg (671.18 KiB) Viewed 2010 times
Screenshot_20201029-144655_Chrome.jpg
Support Argument
Screenshot_20201029-144655_Chrome.jpg (544.24 KiB) Viewed 2010 times
Screenshot_20201029-144719_Chrome.jpg
Support Argument
Screenshot_20201029-144719_Chrome.jpg (188.46 KiB) Viewed 2010 times

gee4
Nigeria

Post by gee4 » Thu Oct 29, 2020 3:30 pm

Thank you @snooky, Can I ask if I have enough reasons to make this appeal and what supporting documents should I provide please. Can I also ask what some of the terms meant please such as
References to the Appellants' and Respondent's bundles are in the format [A/ 1] and [R/ l][/glow] respectively

snooky

Post by snooky » Thu Oct 29, 2020 3:44 pm

gee4 wrote:
Thu Oct 29, 2020 3:30 pm
Thank you @snooky, Can I ask if I have enough reasons to make this appeal and what supporting documents should I provide please. Can I also ask what some of the terms meant please such as
References to the Appellants' and Respondent's bundles are in the format [A/ 1] and [R/ l][/glow] respectively
You have enough grounds. The best is the question in reg 16(1)(5). You meet these regulations and HO has no right to preclude you and your child. It is illegal and unlawful.

Get new school and gp letters, anything that link your name to your child like bank accounts, church letter, family fotos, school diner accounts, etc that shows the child's dependency on you and your responsibilities on her

Your are the appellant and HO is the respondent

gee4
Nigeria

Post by gee4 » Thu Oct 29, 2020 5:06 pm

thank you so much for your help @snooky. Here is my final output for my appeal. please kindly read through and feedback.

Appeal No. /2020

BETWEEN
xxxxx
Appellant
Respondent

Accordingly this skeleton argument will refer to xxxx as "the Appellant"

2. xxxx who currently suffers from anxiety and depression and has a British son (xxxxx) with autistic spectrum disorder has suffered with more stress due to Home Office delay.

3. The Appellant xxx is Nigerian and was born on xxxx. She was married to xxx a Portuguese national in February 2013
4. The Appellant applied for derivative residence cards in 2013 based on her marriage and she was issued with a 5 years residence card in January 2014 by the respondent.
5. xxxx has a son xxxx who is a British national born on xxxxx
6. xxxxx applied in March 2019 to regularize her visa which expired in January 2019 by phoning the EU Settlement Centre to enquire if she can make an application to the scheme based on the fact that she is still married to an EU national but they have been separated. xxxxx was guided to make this application online after it was confirmed she was eligible to apply through the scheme
7. By letter dated 03 June 2020 the Respondent refused the Appellant's application
8. xxxxx phoned the EU settlement on 03 June to enquire if she can apply through the Zambrano route based on her British national son, She was also deemed eligible after she answered the eligibility questions and a paper application was sent out to her home address.
9. xxxxx received the form on 11 June 2020, she completed the form and posted back to the Respondent on same day.
10. By letter dated 19 October 2020 the Respondent refused the Appellant's application. No issue in that refusal was taken as to the Appellant's status as parent and sole primary carer of her EEA-national child. The Respondent did not address the relevant case-law and Regulations at all. Instead, the sole reason given for the refusal of their application was as follows:

The Zambrano route

11. The Court of Justice of the European Union ("CJEU") considered in Ruiz Zambrano v Office national de I 'emploi (C-34 09) 8 March 2011 the effect of EU citizenship as established by Article 20 of the Treaty on the Functioning of the European Union in circumstances, such as these, where non-EEA national parent is the primary carer of EEA national child. From paragraph [42], the CJEU set out that a refusal to grant a right of residence to a third country national with dependent EU citizen minor children would deprive those children of the genuine enjoyment of their right of citizenship. The Court said:
"[42] [... ] Article 20 TFEU precludes national measures which have the effect of depriving citizens of the Union of the genuine enjoyment of the substance of the rights conferred by virtue of their status as citizens of the Union (see, to that effect, Rottmann, paragraph 42).
[43] A refusal to grant a right of residence to a third country national with dependent minor children in the Member State where those children are nationals and reside and also a refusal to grant such a person a work permit, has such an effect.
[44] It must be assumed that such a refusal would lead to a situation where those children. citizens of the Union. would have to leave the territory of the Union in order to accompany their parents. L...] In those circumstances, those citizens of the Union would, in fact, be unable to exercise the substance of the rights conferred on them by virtue of their status as citizens of the Union. [45] Accordingly, the answer to the questions referred is that Article 20 TFEU is to be interpreted as meaning that it precludes a Member State from refusing a third country national upon whom his minor children, who are European Union citizens, are dependent, a right of residence in the Member State of residence and nationality of those children, and from refusing to grant a work permit to that third country national, in so far as such decisions deprive those children of the genuine enjoyment of the substance of the rights attaching to the status of European Union citizen.

12. Amendments to the Immigration (European Economic Area) Regulations 2006 ("the Regulations") put the decision in Zambrano on a legislative footing in domestic law. Section ISA, 'Derived rights of residence' of the Regulations provides:
(a) P is the primary carer of a British citizen ('xxxx'); (b) the relevant British citizen is residing in the United Kingdom; and (c) the relevant British citizen would be unable to reside in the UK or in another EEA State if P were required to leave.

13. In considering the scope of the Zambrano route, the CJEU and domestic courts have stressed a distinction between "choice" and "compulsion". It is not sufficient that if an appellant were refused a right of residence the EU citizen would choose to leave the territory of the EU; it is required that they would be compelled to leave the EU if the non-EU citizen so left. For example, in Dereci and Others v Bundesministerium fur Inneres (C-256 Il) 15 November 2011 the CJEU held at [67]:
The mere fact that it might appear desirable to a national of a Member State, for economic reasons or in order to keep his family together in the territory of the Union, for the members of his family who do not have the nationality of a Member State to be able to reside with him in the territory of the Union, is not sufficient in itself to support the view that the Union citizen will be forced to leave the Union, if such a right is not granted. '

14. Reliance by the Secretary of State on her Policy Guidance could not stand having regard to the principles arising in KA v Belgium (Case C-82/16) [2018] 3 CMLR 28, on the correct interpretation of Article 20 of TFEU.
On 30 January 2020 and having heard a number of test cases, Judge Neville of the First-tier Tribunal (IAC) at Taylor House ruled that a person meeting the requirements Regulation 16 of the Immigration (European Economic Area) Regulations 2016 (‘the 2016 Regulations’) has a derivative right of residence notwithstanding that he or she has not yet made an application under the Immigration Rules and pursuant to Article 8 ECHR. The upshot is that the novel concept set out in Home Office policy that a Zambrano carer must first make an unsuccessful fee-paid human rights application before an application under the 2016 Regulations can be submitted is unlawful.
1. Article 20 of TFEU

to be interpreted as meaning that it precludes a Member State from refusing a third country national upon whom his minor children, who are European Union citizens, are dependent, a right of residence in the Member State of residence and nationality of those children, and from refusing to grant a work permit to that third country national, in so far as such decisions deprive those children of the genuine enjoyment of the substance of the rights attaching to the status of European Union citizen.

This Ruling was made by Judge Neville after the Supreme Court has Ruled on 16 December 2019 Patel vs SSHD which now becomes a precedent and make the 2017 Patel vs SSHD SSHD obsolete. Furthermore, Judge Neville went on to make these proceedings
Where the Secretary of State accepts:
1. That the appellant is the primary carer for a British citizen child; and
2. That the child would not be able to remain in the United Kingdom or another EEA member state if the appellant were required to leave the United Kingdom for an indefinite period…
It is in breach of the appellant’s rights under the EU Treaties in respect of entry to or residence in the United Kingdom for an application for a residence card under Reg. 20 of the 2016 Regulations to be refused because the appellant has not yet made an application for leave to remain under the Immigration Rules (or otherwise pursuant to Article 8 ECHR) on the basis of the relationship with the British citizen child?
Further, the Secretary of State also argued that someone holding leave to remain under domestic law would not benefit from a derivative right to reside. She sourced the above principles from Patel. The FtT rejected this contention and held that the Respondent’s interpretation ‘cannot survive the actual legal principles engaged nor, in any event, would her interpretation of the law provide a sound basis for the requirement imposed by the guidance’ [28].
xxxx is an African national without current leave to remain in the United Kingdom as she has been trying to regularize her visa since the expiry of her last visa, she mentioned in her latest application to the respondent that she is the sole carer of her British national and his father no longer reside in the UK as He moved to xxxx in 2016

15. The Court of Appeal considered recently derived routes of residence through the Zambrano route in Patel v Secretary of State for the Home Department [2017] EWCA
'The Court confirmed that the relevant question was whether the children would, in practice. be compelled to leave the EU if their mothers were obliged to leave the territory of the EU (paragraph 65). That is a question of fact in each case, and the Court touched on a number of factors relevant to that question:
776, paragraphs 51 and 56), the Court held that factors of relevance, for the purposes of determining whether a refusal to grant a right of residence to a third-country' national parent of a child who is a
Union citizen means that that child is deprived of the genuine enjoyment of the substance of the rights conferred on him by that status, include the question of 'who has custody of the child and whether that child is legally, financially or emotionally dependent on the third-country: national parent.
69. As regards the second factor, the Court has stated that it is the relationship (21dependency between the Union citizen who is a minor and the third country national who is refused a right of residence that is liable to jeopardise the effectiveness of Union citizenship, since it is that dependency that would lead to the Union citizen being obliged, in practice, to leave not only the territory of the Member State of which he is a national but also that of the European Union as a whole, as a consequence of such a refusal T...]
70. In this case, in order to assess the risk that a particular child, M'/IO is a Union citizen, might be compelled to leave the territory of the European Union and thereby be deprived of the genuine enjoyment of the substance of the rights conferred on him by Article 20 TFEU if the child's third-country national parent were to be refused a right of residence in the Member State concerned, it is important to determine. in each case at issue in the main proceedings. which parent is the primary carer of the child and whether there is in fact a relationship of dependency between the child and the third-country national parent. As part of that assessment, the competent authorities must take account of the right to respect for family life, as stated in Article 7 of the Charter of Fundamental Rights of the European Union, that article
requiring to be read in conjunction with the obligation to take into consideration the best interests of the child, recognised in Article 24(2) of that charter.

16. The refusal of the Appellant’s application for derivative residence card is contrary to the Regulations. They plainly satisfy the following criteria under paragraph 4A of section 15A of those Regulations:
a. The Appellant is the primary carer of her British citizen children, who is 5 years old.
b. Her British citizen child reside in the UK.
c. Her British citizen child would be "unable to reside in the UK or another EEA State if [xxxxx] were required to leave. " Any suggestion that this child would remain in the UK without their parent is fanciful.

17. Any preference on the part of the Respondent for an Appellant to apply by a different route first is irrelevant. Section 15A of the Regulations contains no provision that a human rights application (e.g. by way of Appendix FM) be made before an application under the Zambrano route.

18. The Court is bound to consider the best interests of the child, whether by operation of section 55 of the Borders, Citizenship and Immigration Act 2009 or the citation of Chavez-Vilchez cited above at [15]. This strongly militates in favour of a grant of derivative residence to his parent.

19. Further, it is by no means certain that an application under Appendix FM could be made or would succeed. There are clear practical obstacles in the making of an application. Even if such an application were to be made, it is entirely uncertain that it would be granted by the Respondent.

20. In any event, the change to the Policy is at odds with the judgment in Patel itself. At [42], Irwin LJ considered the Secretary of State' s submission which emphasised that an appellant in Patel had never made an application for leave to remain in the UK on family life grounds. The Court' s response was unequivocal to remark that such an application might well be open to her. We have seen material in the course of the case which might well be relevant to such an application, although it cannot bear upon the decision we must take.

21. It follows that the application of the Policy in this case is not contrary just to Zambrano and the Regulations. It is contrary to the case which inspired it

Conclusion
22. The Court is respectfully invited to allow the appeal.

snooky

Post by snooky » Thu Oct 29, 2020 5:19 pm

gee4 wrote:
Thu Oct 29, 2020 5:06 pm
thank you so much for your help @snooky. Here is my final output for my appeal. please kindly read through and feedback.

Appeal No. /2020

BETWEEN
xxxxx
Appellant
Respondent

Accordingly this skeleton argument will refer to xxxx as "the Appellant"

2. xxxx who currently suffers from anxiety and depression and has a British son (xxxxx) with autistic spectrum disorder has suffered with more stress due to Home Office delay.

3. The Appellant xxx is Nigerian and was born on xxxx. She was married to xxx a Portuguese national in February 2013
4. The Appellant applied for derivative residence cards in 2013 based on her marriage and she was issued with a 5 years residence card in January 2014 by the respondent.
5. xxxx has a son xxxx who is a British national born on xxxxx
6. xxxxx applied in March 2019 to regularize her visa which expired in January 2019 by phoning the EU Settlement Centre to enquire if she can make an application to the scheme based on the fact that she is still married to an EU national but they have been separated. xxxxx was guided to make this application online after it was confirmed she was eligible to apply through the scheme
7. By letter dated 03 June 2020 the Respondent refused the Appellant's application
8. xxxxx phoned the EU settlement on 03 June to enquire if she can apply through the Zambrano route based on her British national son, She was also deemed eligible after she answered the eligibility questions and a paper application was sent out to her home address.
9. xxxxx received the form on 11 June 2020, she completed the form and posted back to the Respondent on same day.
10. By letter dated 19 October 2020 the Respondent refused the Appellant's application. No issue in that refusal was taken as to the Appellant's status as parent and sole primary carer of her EEA-national child. The Respondent did not address the relevant case-law and Regulations at all. Instead, the sole reason given for the refusal of their application was as follows:

The Zambrano route

11. The Court of Justice of the European Union ("CJEU") considered in Ruiz Zambrano v Office national de I 'emploi (C-34 09) 8 March 2011 the effect of EU citizenship as established by Article 20 of the Treaty on the Functioning of the European Union in circumstances, such as these, where non-EEA national parent is the primary carer of EEA national child. From paragraph [42], the CJEU set out that a refusal to grant a right of residence to a third country national with dependent EU citizen minor children would deprive those children of the genuine enjoyment of their right of citizenship. The Court said:
"[42] [... ] Article 20 TFEU precludes national measures which have the effect of depriving citizens of the Union of the genuine enjoyment of the substance of the rights conferred by virtue of their status as citizens of the Union (see, to that effect, Rottmann, paragraph 42).
[43] A refusal to grant a right of residence to a third country national with dependent minor children in the Member State where those children are nationals and reside and also a refusal to grant such a person a work permit, has such an effect.
[44] It must be assumed that such a refusal would lead to a situation where those children. citizens of the Union. would have to leave the territory of the Union in order to accompany their parents. L...] In those circumstances, those citizens of the Union would, in fact, be unable to exercise the substance of the rights conferred on them by virtue of their status as citizens of the Union. [45] Accordingly, the answer to the questions referred is that Article 20 TFEU is to be interpreted as meaning that it precludes a Member State from refusing a third country national upon whom his minor children, who are European Union citizens, are dependent, a right of residence in the Member State of residence and nationality of those children, and from refusing to grant a work permit to that third country national, in so far as such decisions deprive those children of the genuine enjoyment of the substance of the rights attaching to the status of European Union citizen.

12. Amendments to the Immigration (European Economic Area) Regulations 2006 ("the Regulations") put the decision in Zambrano on a legislative footing in domestic law. Section ISA, 'Derived rights of residence' of the Regulations provides:
(a) P is the primary carer of a British citizen ('xxxx'); (b) the relevant British citizen is residing in the United Kingdom; and (c) the relevant British citizen would be unable to reside in the UK or in another EEA State if P were required to leave.

13. In considering the scope of the Zambrano route, the CJEU and domestic courts have stressed a distinction between "choice" and "compulsion". It is not sufficient that if an appellant were refused a right of residence the EU citizen would choose to leave the territory of the EU; it is required that they would be compelled to leave the EU if the non-EU citizen so left. For example, in Dereci and Others v Bundesministerium fur Inneres (C-256 Il) 15 November 2011 the CJEU held at [67]:
The mere fact that it might appear desirable to a national of a Member State, for economic reasons or in order to keep his family together in the territory of the Union, for the members of his family who do not have the nationality of a Member State to be able to reside with him in the territory of the Union, is not sufficient in itself to support the view that the Union citizen will be forced to leave the Union, if such a right is not granted. '

14. Reliance by the Secretary of State on her Policy Guidance could not stand having regard to the principles arising in KA v Belgium (Case C-82/16) [2018] 3 CMLR 28, on the correct interpretation of Article 20 of TFEU.
On 30 January 2020 and having heard a number of test cases, Judge Neville of the First-tier Tribunal (IAC) at Taylor House ruled that a person meeting the requirements Regulation 16 of the Immigration (European Economic Area) Regulations 2016 (‘the 2016 Regulations’) has a derivative right of residence notwithstanding that he or she has not yet made an application under the Immigration Rules and pursuant to Article 8 ECHR. The upshot is that the novel concept set out in Home Office policy that a Zambrano carer must first make an unsuccessful fee-paid human rights application before an application under the 2016 Regulations can be submitted is unlawful.
1. Article 20 of TFEU

to be interpreted as meaning that it precludes a Member State from refusing a third country national upon whom his minor children, who are European Union citizens, are dependent, a right of residence in the Member State of residence and nationality of those children, and from refusing to grant a work permit to that third country national, in so far as such decisions deprive those children of the genuine enjoyment of the substance of the rights attaching to the status of European Union citizen.

This Ruling was made by Judge Neville after the Supreme Court has Ruled on 16 December 2019 Patel vs SSHD which now becomes a precedent and make the 2017 Patel vs SSHD SSHD obsolete. Furthermore, Judge Neville went on to make these proceedings
Where the Secretary of State accepts:
1. That the appellant is the primary carer for a British citizen child; and
2. That the child would not be able to remain in the United Kingdom or another EEA member state if the appellant were required to leave the United Kingdom for an indefinite period…
It is in breach of the appellant’s rights under the EU Treaties in respect of entry to or residence in the United Kingdom for an application for a residence card under Reg. 20 of the 2016 Regulations to be refused because the appellant has not yet made an application for leave to remain under the Immigration Rules (or otherwise pursuant to Article 8 ECHR) on the basis of the relationship with the British citizen child?
Further, the Secretary of State also argued that someone holding leave to remain under domestic law would not benefit from a derivative right to reside. She sourced the above principles from Patel. The FtT rejected this contention and held that the Respondent’s interpretation ‘cannot survive the actual legal principles engaged nor, in any event, would her interpretation of the law provide a sound basis for the requirement imposed by the guidance’ [28].
xxxx is an African national without current leave to remain in the United Kingdom as she has been trying to regularize her visa since the expiry of her last visa, she mentioned in her latest application to the respondent that she is the sole carer of her British national and his father no longer reside in the UK as He moved to xxxx in 2016

15. The Court of Appeal considered recently derived routes of residence through the Zambrano route in Patel v Secretary of State for the Home Department [2017] EWCA
'The Court confirmed that the relevant question was whether the children would, in practice. be compelled to leave the EU if their mothers were obliged to leave the territory of the EU (paragraph 65). That is a question of fact in each case, and the Court touched on a number of factors relevant to that question:
776, paragraphs 51 and 56), the Court held that factors of relevance, for the purposes of determining whether a refusal to grant a right of residence to a third-country' national parent of a child who is a
Union citizen means that that child is deprived of the genuine enjoyment of the substance of the rights conferred on him by that status, include the question of 'who has custody of the child and whether that child is legally, financially or emotionally dependent on the third-country: national parent.
69. As regards the second factor, the Court has stated that it is the relationship (21dependency between the Union citizen who is a minor and the third country national who is refused a right of residence that is liable to jeopardise the effectiveness of Union citizenship, since it is that dependency that would lead to the Union citizen being obliged, in practice, to leave not only the territory of the Member State of which he is a national but also that of the European Union as a whole, as a consequence of such a refusal T...]
70. In this case, in order to assess the risk that a particular child, M'/IO is a Union citizen, might be compelled to leave the territory of the European Union and thereby be deprived of the genuine enjoyment of the substance of the rights conferred on him by Article 20 TFEU if the child's third-country national parent were to be refused a right of residence in the Member State concerned, it is important to determine. in each case at issue in the main proceedings. which parent is the primary carer of the child and whether there is in fact a relationship of dependency between the child and the third-country national parent. As part of that assessment, the competent authorities must take account of the right to respect for family life, as stated in Article 7 of the Charter of Fundamental Rights of the European Union, that article
requiring to be read in conjunction with the obligation to take into consideration the best interests of the child, recognised in Article 24(2) of that charter.

16. The refusal of the Appellant’s application for derivative residence card is contrary to the Regulations. They plainly satisfy the following criteria under paragraph 4A of section 15A of those Regulations:
a. The Appellant is the primary carer of her British citizen children, who is 5 years old.
b. Her British citizen child reside in the UK.
c. Her British citizen child would be "unable to reside in the UK or another EEA State if [xxxxx] were required to leave. " Any suggestion that this child would remain in the UK without their parent is fanciful.

17. Any preference on the part of the Respondent for an Appellant to apply by a different route first is irrelevant. Section 15A of the Regulations contains no provision that a human rights application (e.g. by way of Appendix FM) be made before an application under the Zambrano route.

18. The Court is bound to consider the best interests of the child, whether by operation of section 55 of the Borders, Citizenship and Immigration Act 2009 or the citation of Chavez-Vilchez cited above at [15]. This strongly militates in favour of a grant of derivative residence to his parent.

19. Further, it is by no means certain that an application under Appendix FM could be made or would succeed. There are clear practical obstacles in the making of an application. Even if such an application were to be made, it is entirely uncertain that it would be granted by the Respondent.

20. In any event, the change to the Policy is at odds with the judgment in Patel itself. At [42], Irwin LJ considered the Secretary of State' s submission which emphasised that an appellant in Patel had never made an application for leave to remain in the UK on family life grounds. The Court' s response was unequivocal to remark that such an application might well be open to her. We have seen material in the course of the case which might well be relevant to such an application, although it cannot bear upon the decision we must take.

21. It follows that the application of the Policy in this case is not contrary just to Zambrano and the Regulations. It is contrary to the case which inspired it

Conclusion
22. The Court is respectfully invited to allow the appeal.
Go for it

gee4
Nigeria

Post by gee4 » Thu Oct 29, 2020 9:39 pm

Thank you @snooky. God bless you.

Hope16
Cameroon

Post by Hope16 » Fri Oct 30, 2020 4:35 am

dimiku wrote:
Thu Oct 22, 2020 11:10 pm
Hi all ("Chen carer" here but might be relevant for someone on here)

I am happy to tell you that i have been granted Settled Status.
I am non EU, separated from my EU partner.
I had first applied online on 23/04/2019 relying on that relationship, this application was refused on 19/03/2020 (more than 1 year wait).

In the meantime I was advised thati should apply with paper application "Chen route" and did so on 03/01/2020. I got my Settled status granted on 20/10/2020. (9 months wait)

During this process i had called the resolution crentre many many times.
I had got my MP to write to the HO 3 times and finally did the complaint online about a 3 week's ago.
it is possible that the complaint provoked the HOnte deal with mu case and grant me my staus which i am entitled to.

I am well relieved that this arduous journey is finally over and I can get on with my life.
Good luck to everyone and please keep fighting for your rights!
Still waiting same as you Chen career too I applied since August 2019 last year made a complaint about the same time as you and involved my MP. Lately I am emotionally drained now don’t know what else to do

dimiku
Albania

Post by dimiku » Fri Oct 30, 2020 9:34 am

Hope16 wrote:
Fri Oct 30, 2020 4:35 am
dimiku wrote:
Thu Oct 22, 2020 11:10 pm
Hi all ("Chen carer" here but might be relevant for someone on here)

I am happy to tell you that i have been granted Settled Status.
I am non EU, separated from my EU partner.
I had first applied online on 23/04/2019 relying on that relationship, this application was refused on 19/03/2020 (more than 1 year wait).

In the meantime I was advised thati should apply with paper application "Chen route" and did so on 03/01/2020. I got my Settled status granted on 20/10/2020. (9 months wait)

During this process i had called the resolution crentre many many times.
I had got my MP to write to the HO 3 times and finally did the complaint online about a 3 week's ago.
it is possible that the complaint provoked the HOnte deal with mu case and grant me my staus which i am entitled to.

I am well relieved that this arduous journey is finally over and I can get on with my life.
Good luck to everyone and please keep fighting for your rights!
Still waiting same as you Chen career too I applied since August 2019 last year made a complaint about the same time as you and involved my MP. Lately I am emotionally drained now don’t know what else to do
Hi Hope16,
Yes the waiting is totally emotionally draining, I was feeling like that for a very long time.
Have you involved a lawyer to help out with your case?
Perhaps it might be a good idea to ask for a SAR:
https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... mmigration
My lawyer had suggested it as well and we had sent it out after the complaint.
Good luck and I Hope you get your status soon.

lida56
Newly Registered

Post by lida56 » Fri Oct 30, 2020 7:45 pm

Hello everybody,
@Snooky and every senior member,
ojoke2020 has been given the option of right of appeal under Citizens’ Rights Appeals) (EU Exit) Regulations 2020. ojoke2020 applied before the exit day, I still do not understand how is different from right of appeal to FTT allowed for those who applied after exit day. Will you please clarify on that. With regards and many appreciation for your help and valuable guidance, during such hard times for all of us.

shay007

Post by shay007 » Fri Oct 30, 2020 8:49 pm

Hello snooky/evryone,
I just received my refusal letter and i have no choice than to take it on the chin and move on right?
The reasons why my application was refused is below -
To qualify for settled or pre-settled status as a 'person with a zambrano right to reside', you must have a right to reside in the uk because you meet the relevant requirements in the immigration (European economic area) regulations 2016 (the EEA regulations,). As you state that you are the primary carer of a British citizen, its regulation 16(5) that is relevant in your circumstances. However, we are not satisfied that you meet the requirements of regulation 16(5) because you have not provided sufficient evidence that you are xxxxx direct relative or legal guardian.

A direct relative is defined to include the following relatives only:
* parent
* grandparent
* spouse or civil partner
* child
* grandchild
* sibling

You state that xxxxx is your nephew. you have provided statements from his parents stating that you are their brother and brother in law, therefore making you the uncle of their son xxxx. Although you have not provided official documents such as a birth certificate proving your relationship to the mother or father of xxx as a sibling, this department accepts based on the personal statements provided, that you are xxxxx 's uncle. Despite this evidence, as this particular relationship doesn't fall within the definition of a direct relative given above you are unable to meet this requirement.

You have provided as evidence written statements from the parents of your sponsor stating that you have parental responsibilities for your sponsor. This department is unable to accept anecdotal personal statements from family members of an applicants as evidence of primary care over a British citizen child. This department requires evidence of legal guardianship in the form of a guardianship order issued by a UK family court. You have not provided such evidence and as a result cannot be considered as a legal guardian for your sponsor.

As you have not provided any evidence that you are xxxx direct relative or legal guardian your application cannot succeed as you must meet all the requirements in regulation 16(5) to be considered a person with a zambrano right to reside on this basis. We have therefore not considered the rest of your application.

It is considered that the information available does not show that you meet the eligibility requirements for settled status set out in rule EU11 OF APPENDIX EU to the immigration rules or those for pre-settled status which are set out in rule EU14 of that appendix. Therefore , you have been refused settled status and pre-settled status under rule EU6.

It is noted that you previously applied for status as the primary carer of your sponsor and have been refused on the same basis. Unless you are able to provide evidence that addresses the points made above, any future applications will be refused for the same reasons as stated above.

we note that you state that you are employed within the healthcare sector and as such we have considered whether you qualify for the automatic visa extension set out by the government. We recognise the huge importance of the health and social care sector, which is providing vital services following the coronavirus outbreak , which has led to the extension announced by the Home secretary.

In the secretary of state's announcements on 31 march 2020 and subsequently on 29 April 2020, specific healthcare staff were confirmed as eligible for the scheme if the individual undertakes a qualifying role and as a visa due to expire before 1 october 2020.

we have assessed your current circumstances based on the details provided and unfortunately you do not currently meet the criteria to qualify for the automatic visa extension.

Next steps summary

i can reapply or apply for an administrative review and i have 28 days to do so. i have 14 days from the date of the decision to appeal.

you can appeal on the basis that the decision is not in accordance with the EU settlement scheme rules, or hat it breaches any rights you have under the withdrawal agreement , the eea efta seperation agreement, or the swiss citizens rights agreement. you may bring or continue an appeal from inside or outside the uk.

The documents i added were
Birth certificate of my nephew which they didnt acknowledge
letters from school
letter from GP
british passport
my bank statement
statements from both parents

my timeline
Applied on the 26th of feb
biometric - 2nd wk in march
COA - 2nd wk in April
Refusal - 27th October

I have no previos brp.

So everyone what do you think is the next best step? Thank you everyone

snooky

Post by snooky » Fri Oct 30, 2020 10:45 pm

lida56 wrote:
Fri Oct 30, 2020 7:45 pm
Hello everybody,
ojoke2020 has been given the option of right of appeal under Citizens’ Rights Appeals) (EU Exit) Regulations 2020. ojoke2020 applied before the exit day, I still do not understand how is different from right of appeal to FTT allowed for those who applied after exit day. Will you please clarify on that. With regards and many appreciation for your help and valuable guidance, during such hard times for all of us.
Hi

What can say apart from sorry. I think HO has spell their reasons for refusal in so many categories, some comprises about your failure to add reputable organisations documents.

But one good news I have had from your refusal is that, Zambrano people can do EEA family permit to bring their child grandparents into uk but not uncles ans auntie.

Sorry and good lucky

snooky

Post by snooky » Fri Oct 30, 2020 10:55 pm

lida56 wrote:
Fri Oct 30, 2020 7:45 pm
Hello everybody,

My advise to is that in immigration cases, all cases are not the same so do not compare yours to another