ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Citizenship Ceremony cancelled due to Covid-19

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

reoo
Newly Registered

Re: Citizenship Ceremony cancelled due to Covid-19

Post by reoo » Sat Oct 31, 2020 8:37 pm

I just went on Lambeths website and entered my reference number. I was able to book an appointment for 3rd of November.

Approval date: 20/07
No invitation letter received yet.

I am guessing the council has received my Certificate my ref number was on record. I hope I receive my invitation letter on Monday, if not I will just try going with my approval letter.

I hope the lock down doesn't affect the councils 🤞

jefoy22123
Newly Registered

Post by jefoy22123 » Sat Oct 31, 2020 9:39 pm

reoo wrote:
Sat Oct 31, 2020 8:37 pm
I just went on Lambeths website and entered my reference number. I was able to book an appointment for 3rd of November.

Approval date: 20/07
No invitation letter received yet.

I am guessing the council has received my Certificate my ref number was on record. I hope I receive my invitation letter on Monday, if not I will just try going with my approval letter.

I hope the lock down doesn't affect the councils 🤞
Same here! I'll try and go with my approval letter too, if the invitation letter doesn't come through on time.
Fingers crossed! Let me know how it goes.

Faith20
Newly Registered

Post by Faith20 » Sat Oct 31, 2020 10:32 pm

Faith20 wrote:
Wed Oct 14, 2020 10:56 pm
First of all many thanks to Baybars

I have been following this topic for some time as I’m awaiting for citizenship ceremony invitation since 17th July when I received the email of approval. It was quite stressful having to wait in dark without any information from HO apart from ‘keep waiting’. This platform is giving hope!

If anyone from Islington council can update about their timeline if they received the invitation recently it would be much appreciated.
I am really benefited from this thread a lot interns of getting continuous updates from the members and baybars formula sheet. I would like to give my update too to give others hope.

Firstly thanks to Almighty for this good news and then to this platform for enormous support.

Islington council:
Approval via email: 17/07/2020
Invitation letter: didn’t receive so far
Ceremony attended: 31/10/2020

I emailed my council on Thursday evening to check whether they have any news about the certificate.
They replied next morning on Friday (30/10/2020) that they have received my certificate on previous day 29/10/2020 and have already booked me for private ceremony on next day (Saturday) without any fee. I was free to bring guests from the same household so actually us 6 persons went together today for the ceremony. It was pretty quick. A few lines to read out from a printed paper and certificate was handed after that. Lovely pictures were taken and celebrated afterwards.
Can’t believe it just happened so fast after long waiting since July.
I already applied online for my first British passport.
👍🏼👍🏼👍🏼

Frou01
Member of Standing
Mood:
Finland

Post by Frou01 » Sat Oct 31, 2020 10:45 pm

There’s no way ceremonies be held from Thursday on.
When everything shuts of course councils do too and people work from home again.

I just wonder if our certificates and invitations were printed anyway?

If we call the helpline on Monday asking all why we didn’t receive as promised the invitations end October they can easily say “we’re in lockdown, sorry”.

But why they cannot switch all to online ceremonies or posting certificates at this circumstances?

Between the last and the new lockdown were 5 months, they could have cleared the backlog if they wanted.

Ccouture
Newly Registered
Jamaica

Post by Ccouture » Sat Oct 31, 2020 11:16 pm

Evening guys, I've looked on my council website and there is no where to book ceremony online. Is this council specific?

Dorota01
Mood:

Post by Dorota01 » Sun Nov 01, 2020 12:05 am

Ccouture wrote:
Sat Oct 31, 2020 11:16 pm
Evening guys, I've looked on my council website and there is no where to book ceremony online. Is this council specific?
Yes, that is correct - no all the councils have the online option. In Croydon you need to call or email to arrange the ceremony.

justaquery
Pakistan

Post by justaquery » Sun Nov 01, 2020 12:10 am

So looks like the lockdown is going into effect on Thursday. There’s just about enough time left for the home office to send one final batch of certificates through (I know my council was expecting another batch by Tuesday/Wednesday this coming week). This should hopefully cover all people approved up till End of July/first of week of August.

For the rest of us approved later than that, we might end up waiting till early January at the earliest (under the assumption that HO won’t be printing any new certificates from Thursday till 2 Dec).

Dorota01
Mood:

Post by Dorota01 » Sun Nov 01, 2020 12:16 am

I guess the group ceremonies are out of the picture right now. I still hope we can get the private one although I wouldn't be surprised if the HO and councils will stop everything altogether for a month. I hope I am wrong. Croydon council doesn't provide virtual ceremonies so hey ho, game on.

Soo123
Pakistan

Post by Soo123 » Sun Nov 01, 2020 11:43 am

Hi all

Million dollar question will ceremonies be put on hold I think they will for a month or the lockdown maybe beyond 2 December . weddings and civil partnerships are put on hold so most likely citizenship ceremonies aswell

Tirinti
Mood:

Post by Tirinti » Sun Nov 01, 2020 12:16 pm

Dorota01 wrote:
Sun Nov 01, 2020 12:16 am
I guess the group ceremonies are out of the picture right now. I still hope we can get the private one although I wouldn't be surprised if the HO and councils will stop everything altogether for a month. I hope I am wrong. Croydon council doesn't provide virtual ceremonies so hey ho, game on.
I think Croydon council improved their services recently. I tried to call them in late August and no one picked up. I've asked them a question through their online contact form, they've never replied. Croydon was one of the last few councils to resume ceremonies in September. Probably after the scandal with previous council leaders the new ones try to be nicer to the people.

Tirinti
Mood:

Post by Tirinti » Sun Nov 01, 2020 12:26 pm

Soo123 wrote:
Sun Nov 01, 2020 11:43 am
Hi all

Million dollar question will ceremonies be put on hold I think they will for a month or the lockdown maybe beyond 2 December . weddings and civil partnerships are put on hold so most likely citizenship ceremonies aswell
I've checked Cardiff Register and they have ceremonies. I don't think English lockdown will be stricter then Welsh. But on the other hand I think HO will work from home and they cannot print certificates from home. I don't think the lockdown will be over on 2nd December. Johnson didn't want to enrage people telling Christmas will be digital. I expect on 1st of December he will extend the lockdown by two weeks and after two week till the end of the year or further.
I was approved on 14th August and I hope they will manage to send my certificate before the lockdown. Otherwise my circumstances will change in January when Brexit transition period will be over and my Permanent Residency not valid anymore. I will have to apply for the settled status and apply for the citizenship a year after.

Bulgaria

Post by 024601 » Sun Nov 01, 2020 1:40 pm

Some of you are really lucky that your councils allow you to book online. Mine does not have that option, they operate on the "don't call us, we'll call you" principle. Even if you get your invitation and call them, they say "no, can't book now, we'll call you to book it with you" which is extremely annoying.

I think all councils need to facilitate for online ceremonies or just send all of the certificates in the post. That way the backlog will be cleared within hours! But what do I know...

I'll just have to wait. I honestly do not believe I'll be applying for a passport this year. Let's hope 2021 is a lot more successful.

Small

Post by Small » Sun Nov 01, 2020 2:11 pm

Councils will definitely call you if they got your certificates. One of my friend got call from council and told him to book a ceremony even ha had not got his invitation letter . Online ceremonies won’t cancel even there is a lockdown but private or group maybe.
Few of us had their ceremonies without invitation letter from HO, can you please inform here have you had your invitation letter after ceremonies or or did not arrive ever. Thank you

mdiqbal

Post by mdiqbal » Sun Nov 01, 2020 2:32 pm

Dear all,
Just an update, my closed one's certificate was arrived at his council on 31/10/2020 for 14/10/2020 approval but no invitation letter.

mdiqbal

Post by mdiqbal » Sun Nov 01, 2020 2:44 pm

englishcrumpet wrote:
Sat Oct 31, 2020 12:46 pm
raij wrote:
Sat Oct 31, 2020 11:32 am
mdiqbal wrote:
Sat Oct 31, 2020 9:24 am

Dear all friends,
I had researched a lot by taking opportunities to friends-circle, HO and council. They have already sent a large amount certificates and haven't put on the system yet. You are going to know on Monday. Please do call your local council and you would be surprised, I feel. Some might get the invitation letter today. The only problem is, some councils don't allow without invitation letter. The question will be remained same that when we are getting invitation letter. The HO has truly sent maximum certificates up-to 7/08/20, except some May, June and even January due to their systematic errors and you need to contact definitely with HO for that. Hence, be happy for Monday news, dear.
Dear friend - unlike you i do not believe that HOME OFFICE TRULLY sent out all the letters - i am a start of june approval and every week i email my local registry office - with same question , to the point that even this week my local register office emailed me to let me know that my certificate has not arrived before i even managed to email them ...
but thank you for your positivity in this hard time
I think this message from mdiqbal was addressed to everyone but not just one member of the forum. I know you frustrated and everything but there's no reason to be toxic towards the person that brought some good news. In fact, I sincerely think that this is bad manners to talk to somebody that way. Everybody's feeling the same frustration during this waiting time. Let's hope that many people will get their invitations by the end of next week.
Dear friend Englishcrumpet,
Thank you so much for your supporting and kind comments. It is true that I'm trying to provide ourselves some glimmer of hope or silver lining as at the moment we're living in a twilight world.

lmannova

Post by lmannova » Sun Nov 01, 2020 2:46 pm

mdiqbal wrote:
Sun Nov 01, 2020 2:32 pm
Dear all,
Just an update, my closed one's certificate was arrived at his council on 31/10/2020 for 14/10/2020 approval but no invitation letter.
This just made me think whether they were printing out all the certificates as they knew second lockdown will come in place so they won't be able to print the certificates for a month now?

I am gonna call my council tomorrow morning whether they have mine from July approval and if they can book me without invitation.

MannyWarrior
Mood:

Post by MannyWarrior » Sun Nov 01, 2020 3:32 pm

Does “Civil Registrations Offices” mean civil partnership registrations or the register office in general? This is layer out on tov.uk as remaining open and will be allowed to leave the house to travel to it. A quick google search took me to government website which showed me nearest Registee office. On the same page, it shows that only “weddings and civil partnership ceremonies won’t take place due to COVID-19”

I hope soon we’ll all be good to go!!

MannyWarrior
Mood:

Post by MannyWarrior » Sun Nov 01, 2020 3:32 pm

Does “Civil Registrations Offices” mean civil partnership registrations or the register office in general? This is layer out on tov.uk as remaining open and will be allowed to leave the house to travel to it. A quick google search took me to government website which showed me nearest Registee office. On the same page, it shows that only “weddings and civil partnership ceremonies won’t take place due to COVID-19”

I hope soon we’ll all be good to go!!

MannyWarrior
Mood:

Post by MannyWarrior » Sun Nov 01, 2020 3:39 pm

Tirinti wrote:
Sun Nov 01, 2020 12:26 pm
Soo123 wrote:
Hi all

I've checked Cardiff Register and they have ceremonies. I don't think English lockdown will be stricter then Welsh. But on the other hand I think HO will work from home and they cannot print certificates from home. I don't think the lockdown will be over on 2nd December. Johnson didn't want to enrage people telling Christmas will be digital. I expect on 1st of December he will extend the lockdown by two weeks and after two week till the end of the year or further.
I was approved on 14th August and I hope they will manage to send my certificate before the lockdown. Otherwise my circumstances will change in January when Brexit transition period will be over and my Permanent Residency not valid anymore. I will have to apply for the settled status and apply for the citizenship a year after.
Yes cardiff is open but I believe Swansea is closed last time I checked.

So I think it's council dependent at the end of the day. But I really hope the councils have taken the initiative to make their ceremonies and work of place COVID secure. For our sake anyways. I believe my council has received my letter and I will be calling them Monday afternoon to confirm, but, no invitation letter yet from HO.

Soo123
Pakistan

Post by Soo123 » Sun Nov 01, 2020 4:46 pm

Registrars office deals with citizenship , marriages and new born birth certificates

mrmo93
Mood:
Sweden

Post by mrmo93 » Sun Nov 01, 2020 5:40 pm

Thank you to the person who updated me on the october intakes hope it sticks. I may have to leave the country for the next month since I cant handle the lockdown mentally (Im not joking I live by myself). Im an EU citizen with settled status i got the approval just waiting for ceromony. Can I leave and come back.

I seriously cant handle it.

axeman85
Ghana

Post by axeman85 » Sun Nov 01, 2020 6:21 pm

MannyWarrior wrote:
Sun Nov 01, 2020 3:39 pm
Tirinti wrote:
Sun Nov 01, 2020 12:26 pm
Soo123 wrote:
Hi all

Yes cardiff is open but I believe Swansea is closed last time I checked.

So I think it's council dependent at the end of the day. But I really hope the councils have taken the initiative to make their ceremonies and work of place COVID secure. For our sake anyways. I believe my council has received my letter and I will be calling them Monday afternoon to confirm, but, no invitation letter yet from HO.

Brother how do you call mcr council ?. I call but no answer so I only send email. It looks like council got certificates on Friday. Please let me know what they say when you contact them

axeman85
Ghana

Post by axeman85 » Sun Nov 01, 2020 6:22 pm

mrmo93 wrote:
Sun Nov 01, 2020 5:40 pm
Thank you to the person who updated me on the october intakes hope it sticks. I may have to leave the country for the next month since I cant handle the lockdown mentally (Im not joking I live by myself). Im an EU citizen with settled status i got the approval just waiting for ceromony. Can I leave and come back.

Yes with settled status you can travel to anywhere you want. But its advisable to book your ceremony for a future date to avoid any issues...

fanta

Post by fanta » Sun Nov 01, 2020 6:25 pm

mrmo93 wrote:
Sun Nov 01, 2020 5:40 pm

Yes, you can leave and come back. Ideally you need to have someone check your mail for the invitation letter. You can then call the council from your country and book a ceremony date a few weeks ahead and come back at least 14 days prior to the date keeping in mind the quarantine period.

mrmo93
Mood:
Sweden

Post by mrmo93 » Sun Nov 01, 2020 6:39 pm

Thank you for the answer guys I really really appreciate it.