ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Citizenship Ceremony cancelled due to Covid-19

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

Frou01
Member of Standing
Mood:
Finland

Re: Citizenship Ceremony cancelled due to Covid-19

Post by Frou01 » Mon Nov 02, 2020 4:22 pm

axeman85 wrote:
Mon Nov 02, 2020 4:07 pm
Just got this from mc council

We have, today, received certificates for decisions made end of June and beginning of July.

However, your certificate is not amongst them.

In any case, unfortunately, after the Prime Ministers announcement on Saturday.

It appears that the citizenship ceremonies will be postponed until after the lockdown is lifted.

Kind Regards 

Manchester Register Office,
Heron House,

So for me till next year before I do the ceremony. I will give them all the time to send ceremony letter. I have just given up
Oh no!

I just got hope of the previous post someone from Beginn September got their certificate sent and now this council is seriously not further until end June/ beginning July!

This whole thing is the worst organised thing I ever heard of. :cry:

ASegs
Newly Registered
Mood:
Germany

Post by ASegs » Mon Nov 02, 2020 4:29 pm

ASegs wrote:
Tue Oct 13, 2020 5:29 pm
Hi All,
Hope you are keeping well. Massive thanks to the coordinators and contributors of this forum! Its been a massive help.

Is anyone from Oxfordshire County Council? I received my invitation on 28/09/2020 dated 01/09/2020 (I applied in 09/03/2020 got approval email 09/06/2020). I have been trying to get my ceremony booked but the council says they are yet to received certificate from HO.

Below is the reply I received on Friday 09/10/2020 from the registers office

Good Afternoon,

Please be aware we are still waiting for certificates to be delivered from the Home Office, there is an issue with the courier service they use which we have raised with them.

If you have received a letter from the Home Office stating you need to contact your local authority to book a ceremony with in 21 days do not worry due to the pandemic this is no longer being enforced.

As soon as we receive your certificate of naturalisation from the Home Office we will send you an invitation to the earliest available ceremony date.

Thank you for your patience during this time.

Is anyone else in similar situation ?
***************Final Update*******************

Good afternoon all.
Thankfully I have now completed my process of becoming a citizen as I had my ceremony this afternoon.
Many thanks to the moderators and contributors on this forum. It was indeed very helpful in setting expectations.
my timeline below

Application: 15 March 2020
Approval Email: 09 June 2020
Home Office Invitation 28 Sept 2020 (Dated 01 September 2020)
Council Received Cert: 19 October 2020
Ceremony: 02 November 2020

Wishing everyone all the best as i sign out to the passport thread :)

MannyWarrior
Mood:

Post by MannyWarrior » Mon Nov 02, 2020 4:39 pm

Manchester gotten back to me:

We have, today, received certificates for decisions made end of June and beginning of July.

Unfortunately, after the Prime Ministers announcement on Saturday.
It appears that the citizenship ceremonies will be postponed until after the lockdown is lifted.

Weird indeed as their website doesn’t mention it. And they still adamant on end of June approvals.

ASegs
Newly Registered
Mood:
Germany

Post by ASegs » Mon Nov 02, 2020 4:54 pm

Good afternoon all.
Thankfully I have now completed my process of becoming a citizen as I had my ceremony this afternoon.
Many thanks to the moderators and contributors on this forum. It was indeed very helpful in setting expectations.
my timeline below

Application: 15 March 2020
Approval Email: 09 June 2020
Home Office Invitation 28 Sept 2020 (Dated 01 September 2020)
Council Received Cert: 19 October 2020
Ceremony: 02 November 2020
Council: Oxfordshire

Wishing everyone all the best as i sign out to the passport thread :)

awaismalik1234
Newly Registered
Pakistan

Post by awaismalik1234 » Mon Nov 02, 2020 5:51 pm

hello

can someone tell me if you get invitation at your home address or correspondence address? i received approval by email and it had my correspondence address in it. i am thinking to move so wondering if i will get it at my home address or correspondence address?

Bulgaria

Post by 024601 » Mon Nov 02, 2020 6:01 pm

I signed the petition. I also think they should change the request to have 2 referees of specific professions because the list of professions is ridiculous! I know no one who has such professions so I got a manager in a private company to be a referee for me and luckily they accepted that but not everyone is so lucky. I think the referees need to be one working citizen of the UK, regardless of their job, and one person above 25.

Anyway, I've been waiting all day for Southampton to pick up the phone or respond to my email but I've had nothing, I am guessing they are very busy with people with weddings, births etc. But I am 99.99% sure they will not hold ceremonies in November and the backlog will probably be huuuuuuuuge after that because they've been holding about 1 ceremony per week and they don't seem like they want to change that. I am honestly so frustrated I have become restless, I just can't sit still! And the lack of information makes me even more frustrated and frankly p**sed off! I get better information from Boots when I order shampoo online, than the information I get from the HO, and this is my future we are talking about!

awaismalik1234
Newly Registered
Pakistan

Post by awaismalik1234 » Mon Nov 02, 2020 6:05 pm

hello

can someone tell me if you get invitation at your home address or correspondence address? i received approval by email and it had my correspondence address in it. i am thinking to move so wondering if i will get it at my home address or correspondence address?

please help??

MannyWarrior
Mood:

Post by MannyWarrior » Mon Nov 02, 2020 6:09 pm

axeman85 wrote:

Kind Regards 

Heron House,

So for me till next year before I do the ceremony. I will give them all the time to send ceremony letter. I have just given up
That's very weird!! They said pretty much the same thing to me. But didn't confirm if my certificate arrived (7 july approval).

Last week they said all of July approvals and now they're saying "end of june" again. Very bad management within the office for sure.

I really hope they don't close for the lockdown or it will be a 2021 passport.

otuel
Poland

Post by otuel » Mon Nov 02, 2020 6:38 pm

Approval 22nd of July. Still no invitation letter.

I tried to call the council today, several times, but the line was busy. I am not sure whether endless number of people were calling or the line was disconnected. Last week was fine.

Learning18

Post by Learning18 » Mon Nov 02, 2020 7:16 pm

awaismalik1234 wrote:
Mon Nov 02, 2020 6:05 pm
hello

please help??

I received mine on my correspondence address (postal), if you have put down a different address for your correspondence than it should definitely go there.

axeman85
Ghana

Post by axeman85 » Mon Nov 02, 2020 7:36 pm

MannyWarrior wrote:
Mon Nov 02, 2020 6:09 pm
axeman85 wrote:

Kind Regards 

Heron House,

That's very weird!! They said pretty much the same thing to me. But didn't confirm if my certificate arrived (7 july approval).

Last week they said all of July approvals and now they're saying "end of june" again. Very bad management within the office for sure.

Yes brother. I was also told June and all July certificates they would get this week. So I was surprised when they said only end of June and beginning July certificates they got. Also their website updated today did not say they would close down for ceremony so am just passed off and angry.

I have given up and will just wait to get either a letter from HO or council to invite me for ceremony. Till then I will just try and enjoy my Xmas and by January hopefully all will be sorted out...

Frou01
Member of Standing
Mood:
Finland

Post by Frou01 » Mon Nov 02, 2020 7:41 pm

I’ve just heard about booked ceremonies from lockdown on are indeed cancelled.

rayyfar

Post by rayyfar » Mon Nov 02, 2020 7:47 pm

Heard from where ?

MannyWarrior
Mood:

Post by MannyWarrior » Mon Nov 02, 2020 7:57 pm

axeman85 wrote:
Mon Nov 02, 2020 7:36 pm
MannyWarrior wrote:
Mon Nov 02, 2020 6:09 pm
axeman85 wrote:

Kind Regards 

Heron House,

Yes brother. I was also told June and all July certificates they would get this week. So I was surprised when they said only end of June and beginning July certificates they got. Also their website updated today did not say they would close down for ceremony so am just passed off and angry.

I have given up and will just wait to get either a letter from HO or council to invite me for ceremony. Till then I will just try and enjoy my Xmas and by January hopefully all will be sorted out...
Yea exactly they really don't have a clue whats going on.

Yea their website updated today with ceremonies okay to go. Even the gov.uk website has no mention of suspending ceremonies whatsoever. I guess it's upto councils at this point.

Let's hope they have my certificate.

Cocobana

Post by Cocobana » Mon Nov 02, 2020 8:02 pm

Well according to New National Restrictions from 5 November guidance, the registration office should remain open

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/new-nationa ... and-venues

“A number of public services will also stay open and you will be able to leave home to visit them. These include:

the NHS and medical services like GPs. We are supporting the NHS to safely carry out urgent and non-urgent services and it is vital anyone who thinks they need any kind of medical care comes forward and seeks help.
Jobcentre Plus sites
Courts
Civil Registrations Offices”

Let’s wait and see if more info will be provided

Frou01
Member of Standing
Mood:
Finland

Post by Frou01 » Mon Nov 02, 2020 8:07 pm

rayyfar wrote:
Mon Nov 02, 2020 7:47 pm
Heard from where ?
Individual people who had booked their ceremonies end of this and next week.

mrmo93
Mood:
Sweden

Post by mrmo93 » Mon Nov 02, 2020 8:36 pm

024601 wrote:
Mon Nov 02, 2020 12:19 pm
Postman's been....no invitation. I even went as far as checking with my neighbors if they have received my letter because sometimes the postman's a different person and he mixes up the addresses (I live in 57, and I always get mail for 51 or 75 and vice-versa) but they got nothing either.

I emailed my MP 2 times since last week, got nothing but the automated response. I don't think he'll respond to me because ever since he told me he'll update me weekly last month, I've heard nothing!

I tried calling the Southampton registrar's office, the line is constantly busy. I emailed them yesterday and am waiting for their response.

I honestly don't see what the point is, I think the only reason I keep chasing is to make myself feel better that I am doing something about it. But it's very clear to me neither the HO nor the council, nor the MP give a hoot. I've paid so now I'll just have to wait. If I hadn't paid, I'm sure they;d be banging on the door daily asking for payment.
Let me tell you something my friend. We are all in the same position just wait it took you YEARS to get the APPROVAL. just wait for the letter to come when it comes. Life is strange sometimes, I have been waiting for citizenship for years until I got the approval. I know how you feel im waiting for the letter we can all complain, shout send emails etc, it wont help just wait and be patient. Imagine how many other people who wish they were in your position.

As a last piece of advice life is funny really funny, you get the news when you least expect it!

englishcrumpet
Newly Registered
Mood:
Belarus

Post by englishcrumpet » Mon Nov 02, 2020 9:56 pm

mrmo93 wrote:
Mon Nov 02, 2020 8:36 pm
024601 wrote:
Postman's been....no invitation. I even went as far as checking with my neighbors if they have received my letter because sometimes the postman's a different person and he mixes up the addresses (I live in 57, and I always get mail for 51 or 75 and vice-versa) but they got nothing either.

I emailed my MP 2 times since last week, got nothing but the automated response. I don't think he'll respond to me because ever since he told me he'll update me weekly last month, I've heard nothing!

I tried calling the Southampton registrar's office, the line is constantly busy. I emailed them yesterday and am waiting for their response.

I honestly don't see what the point is, I think the only reason I keep chasing is to make myself feel better that I am doing something about it. But it's very clear to me neither the HO nor the council, nor the MP give a hoot. I've paid so now I'll just have to wait. If I hadn't paid, I'm sure they;d be banging on the door daily asking for payment.
Let me tell you something my friend. We are all in the same position just wait it took you YEARS to get the APPROVAL. just wait for the letter to come when it comes. Life is strange sometimes, I have been waiting for citizenship for years until I got the approval. I know how you feel im waiting for the letter we can all complain, shout send emails etc, it wont help just wait and be patient. Imagine how many other people who wish they were in your position.

As a last piece of advice life is funny really funny, you get the news when you least expect it!
I've noticed that a few members are constantly babycrying and filling this thread with negativity and personal frustration/struggle. Quite funny that some of them are having the same flag on the profile. I am not gonna name them but I agree with what you've said. Most of the people are reading this thread in the hope to see recent updates but not negativity and people's personal opinion on this situation. Life isn't always a dream and many people would be happy to be in our shoes. Many approved members can continue their lives whilst waiting for an invite.

I was glad that somebody from the 1st of Sep. approval informed us that the council has their certificate. Gives lots of hope. I hope that councils will keep on doing ceremonies for this month (at least private but virtual is better). WIsh you guys to sort out the whole thing this year and if not - early next year.

Bulgaria

Post by 024601 » Mon Nov 02, 2020 10:34 pm

englishcrumpet wrote:
Mon Nov 02, 2020 9:56 pm
mrmo93 wrote:
Mon Nov 02, 2020 8:36 pm
024601 wrote:

I've noticed that a few members are constantly babycrying and filling this thread with negativity and personal frustration/struggle. Quite funny that some of them are having the same flag on the profile. I am not gonna name them but I agree with what you've said. Most of the people are reading this thread in the hope to see recent updates but not negativity and people's personal opinion on this situation. Life isn't always a dream and many people would be happy to be in our shoes. Many approved members can continue their lives whilst waiting for an invite.

I was glad that somebody from the 1st of Sep. approval informed us that the council has their certificate. Gives lots of hope. I hope that councils will keep on doing ceremonies for this month (at least private but virtual is better). WIsh you guys to sort out the whole thing this year and if not - early next year.
I post updates as soon as I get them but you clearly haven't seen my previous posts.

By the way, it's a really low thing to say that people "with the same flag" are moaning, we are all British here, my friend, no point in being xenophobic.

I am sharing my thoughts and opinions with people I was thinking share the same fate as me, therefore you people were the only ones who would understand me but clearly I'm dragging you down with my "moaning" so goodbye and good luck to you all in your journey. Hopefully we all get the certificates soon, we all deserve them.

Cocobana

Post by Cocobana » Mon Nov 02, 2020 10:50 pm

There’s no need to take offence with post on here and there is no need to be rude as well. Even though we are all in a long wait albeit we are only on this forum temporarily so while we go through this journey together let’s us remember to be human-( being kind, caring and courteous.

To get your voices heard please sign the digitise citizenship ceremony petition
https://petition.parliament.uk/petition ... cjy66lPB66

Soo123
Pakistan

Post by Soo123 » Mon Nov 02, 2020 10:53 pm

So what’s the verdict are councils going to stop the ceremonies ?

eonatura
Newly Registered
Turkey

Post by eonatura » Mon Nov 02, 2020 11:20 pm

Below update from Borough of Kensington and Chelsea received this evening when enquired about ceremonies:

"In line with the PMs announcement yesterday Citizenship Ceremonies will be put on hold until December at least.
We will continue with Virtual Ceremonies for a fee of £200 but on the condition that you are in the UK."

baybars1

Post by baybars1 » Mon Nov 02, 2020 11:47 pm

I have just noticed that at least one member with an EU state flag has mentioned that they might have to apply for an EU settled status if their citizenship ceremony is not completed before the year-end.

Well, the good news is that the deadline is actually 30 June 2021 for those who are currently holders of UK permanent residence documents, which are issued to EU nationals. Those who have ILR, i.e. indefinite leave to remain, which are issued to all nationals who qualify and apply for one, are not affected by this deadline.

https://www.gov.uk/settled-status-eu-ci ... -to-remain

While I sincerely hope that ceremonies will not be delayed until after 30 June 2021 for those who have been approved already, I am sure that if it were to come to that, an alternative solution would be found by then.

On that note, I have emailed my MP, explaining the issue with ceremonies and suggesting a digital alternative, as we have already discussed in this thread.

Whilst my MP is fairly seasoned and had responded and acted upon all emails in the past, this would be quite a change, with implications for jobs at the Citizenship Ceremonies Support Team (CCST), not least because a digital option could make ceremonies redundant on a permanent basis.

Yet, change may happen anyway if the hiatus lasts well into 2021 - while I understand that many people are fine with being patient, which is admirable, what is really happening here is that the only real beneficiaries of these ceremonies are a couple of hundred Home Office employees with the CSST, at the expense of the tens of thousands of citizens-to-be. If there wasn't for the pandemic-induced delay, few would care, I guess, but with this mess exposing the needlessness of the in-person ritual in a digital age, I don't think that the situation is sustainable in perpetuity.

baybars1

Post by baybars1 » Mon Nov 02, 2020 11:49 pm

Soo123 wrote:
Mon Nov 02, 2020 10:53 pm
So what’s the verdict are councils going to stop the ceremonies ?
Some council have decided to pause citizenship ceremonies during the new lockdown while some are continuing in one way or another. It is all council-specific, really.

LiverpoolYNWA
Newly Registered

Post by LiverpoolYNWA » Mon Nov 02, 2020 11:59 pm

eonatura wrote:
Mon Nov 02, 2020 11:20 pm
Below update from Borough of Kensington and Chelsea received this evening when enquired about ceremonies:

"In line with the PMs announcement yesterday Citizenship Ceremonies will be put on hold until December at least.
We will continue with Virtual Ceremonies for a fee of £200 but on the condition that you are in the UK."
Excuse my language but this is purely and simply scummy. How on earth are they charging £200 for a virtual ceremony when we've already paid for the ceremony. Council's are trying to milk us. They should be ashamed, especially at a time like this when people are losing their jobs.