ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Citizenship Ceremony cancelled due to Covid-19

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

lmannova

Re: Citizenship Ceremony cancelled due to Covid-19

Post by lmannova » Tue Nov 03, 2020 11:39 am

Oxford900 wrote:
Tue Nov 03, 2020 11:34 am
I have received an invitation from the Reading Borough Council for a ceremony in November and will now see if they go ahead or whether they will cancel the November date.

One question regarding the "invitation letter". I have received my approval letter from the HO back in July, informing me on the successful outcome of my application. Yesterday I have received the invitation letter from the Reading Borough Council to attend the ceremony.

What puzzles me is that many contributors here refer to an "invitation letter" by the HO. Is that distinct from the approval letter by the HO?

In other words, do I have to wait for three communications? (1) Approval letter by HO by email, (2) Invitation letter by HO - physical and (3) Invitation letter by the local council?

In my understanding, only (1) and (3) should be sufficient as the local council has confirmed that they have my certificate. Any thoughts please? Many thanks.

Also, if anybody else is based in Reading, please let me know.

Have a good day, everyone.
My Greenwich council wants me to wait for the invitation letter from the HO. :(

May I ask when was your citizenship in July approved?

Oxford900
Newly Registered
Czech Republic

Post by Oxford900 » Tue Nov 03, 2020 11:43 am

The approval was on 15 July.

What is the point of two invitation letters then? And do you know if the HO one is sent by mail or by email?

lmannova

Post by lmannova » Tue Nov 03, 2020 11:46 am

Oxford900 wrote:
Tue Nov 03, 2020 11:43 am

What is the point of two invitation letters then? And do you know if the HO one is sent by mail or by email?
Yeah, I agree, I don't see any point either. Some councils will do the ceremony without an invitation from the HO. When I mentioned this to my council yesterday, they just said they won't be able to book it for me until I have it..

And it comes via mail, would be much easier and faster via email tbh as I got an approval via email too..

ILR1980
Pakistan

Post by ILR1980 » Tue Nov 03, 2020 11:49 am

Thank you for your email regarding your citizenship ceremony.

Following the Government announcement on 31 October 2020 we are dealing with urgent marriage and civil partnership enquiries first.

We are still waiting for guidance on whether citizenship ceremonies can go ahead and what format they will take if they are allowed to do so during the four week lockdown.

If you already have a date booked for your ceremony - we will contact you if we need to make any changes.

If you still need to book your ceremony – please bear with us while we wait for further instructions. We will be in touch as soon as we can.

Oxford900
Newly Registered
Czech Republic

Post by Oxford900 » Tue Nov 03, 2020 12:07 pm

lmannova wrote:
Tue Nov 03, 2020 11:46 am
Oxford900 wrote:

Yeah, I agree, I don't see any point either. Some councils will do the ceremony without an invitation from the HO. When I mentioned this to my council yesterday, they just said they won't be able to book it for me until I have it..

And it comes via mail, would be much easier and faster via email tbh as I got an approval via email too..
Thank you, and when did you get your approval email please?

lmannova

Post by lmannova » Tue Nov 03, 2020 12:08 pm

Oxford900 wrote:
Tue Nov 03, 2020 12:07 pm
lmannova wrote:
Tue Nov 03, 2020 11:46 am
Oxford900 wrote:

Thank you, and when did you get your approval email please?
20th July

reoo
Newly Registered

Post by reoo » Tue Nov 03, 2020 12:16 pm

Hello everyone,

Just giving an update. Today I went to my appointment without an invitation letter and managed to get my citizenship certificate.

The guy gave me a weird look when I said I have no invitation letter but he let me in nevertheless. I just showed him my approval letter.

Approval date: 20th July
Invitation letter: Still waiting
Citizenship Ceremony: 3rd November

So relieved to get my certificate before lockdown. I really hope the ceremonies continue for the rest of you.

Good luck all!

mdiqbal

Post by mdiqbal » Tue Nov 03, 2020 12:48 pm

reoo wrote:
Tue Nov 03, 2020 12:16 pm
Hello everyone,

Just giving an update. Today I went to my appointment without an invitation letter and managed to get my citizenship certificate.

The guy gave me a weird look when I said I have no invitation letter but he let me in nevertheless. I just showed him my approval letter.

So relieved to get my certificate before lockdown. I really hope the ceremonies continue for the rest of you.

Good luck all!
Dear friend reoo,
What should I bring with me for ceremony as I've no invitation letter and what should I say if they'll ask me about it? May I ask you to suggest me? I phoned them and they said I won't be allowed without invitation letter but I used my HO ref/case ID online and booked myself. Hopefully, they no gonna throw me out. Please, need your assistance.

reoo
Newly Registered

Post by reoo » Tue Nov 03, 2020 1:04 pm

mdiqbal wrote:
Tue Nov 03, 2020 12:48 pm
reoo wrote:
Tue Nov 03, 2020 12:16 pm
Hello everyone,

Good luck all!
Dear friend reoo,
What should I bring with me for ceremony as I've no invitation letter and what should I say if they'll ask me about it? May I ask you to suggest me? I phoned them and they said I won't be allowed without invitation letter but I used my HO ref/case ID online and booked myself. Hopefully, they no gonna throw me out. Please, need your assistance.
I printed my approval letter and the ceremony confirmation (make sure you get an ID as well). They called my name and I walked in, I was then asked to show my invitation letter. I told the guy I haven't received my invitation letter from the HO yet but I do have my approval letter with me. He just read through it and said ok it's fine you can walk in.

I guess it will all depend on the people there. In my council, they were very polite. If they complained I would say that I called the HO last week and I was informed my certificate and invitation letter was sent last week and a lot of people have attended their ceremony without the letter (something along those lines). Thankfully the guy just let me in without asking any questions.

I would say just give it a shot as you have nothing to lose. Best case you get your certificate, worse case you tried.

Dorota01
Mood:

Post by Dorota01 » Tue Nov 03, 2020 1:06 pm

Croydon Council placed this nice and sweat message: "From 5 November, weddings, civil partnerships and citizenship ceremonies will not be taking place due to national restrictions." I guess, open ended.
Unbelievable!!!

baybars1

Post by baybars1 » Tue Nov 03, 2020 1:27 pm

Councils cancelling citizenship ceremonies are taking advantage, trying to pull down salaries while providing no service, despite the Government guidance allowing them to continue doing their jobs:

A number of public services will also stay open and you will be able to leave home to visit them. These include:
  • the NHS
  • Courts
  • Civil Registrations Offices

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/new-nationa ... 5-november

Lockdown restrictions apply only to some Civil Registration services, like weddings, civil partnerships and to an extent, funerals. There is no suggestion that citizenship ceremonies should be paused.

Further to this, some councils are continuing with citizenship ceremonies, clearly indicating that the others are taking advantage.

If I were affected by this, I would write a formal letter of complaint. There is a procedure for that purpose:

https://www.gov.uk/understand-how-your- ... -complaint

murzica
Newly Registered

Post by murzica » Tue Nov 03, 2020 1:47 pm

Hello,

I've just received my ceremony invitation letter from Ealing Council, along with another letter informing me ceremonies are suspended during lockdown.
My approval date was July 16th, so I've been waiting for it for 16 weeks only to get it right when lockdown starts. :x
The letter from the council does not state any ceremony options - private or virtual - it only says they'll contact me to reschedule and I shouldn't contact them in the meanwhile.
At least I know they've got my certificate...

murzica
Newly Registered

Post by murzica » Tue Nov 03, 2020 2:04 pm

eonatura wrote:
Mon Nov 02, 2020 11:20 pm
Below update from Borough of Kensington and Chelsea received this evening when enquired about ceremonies:

"In line with the PMs announcement yesterday Citizenship Ceremonies will be put on hold until December at least.
We will continue with Virtual Ceremonies for a fee of £200 but on the condition that you are in the UK."
Is this even legal? It says here 'It costs £80 to attend a group ceremony or virtual ceremony' so there should be no extra charge on top of the £80 already paid when we submitted the application.
https://www.gov.uk/citizenship-ceremonies

RugratsRUs
Newly Registered

Post by RugratsRUs » Tue Nov 03, 2020 2:08 pm

I received a call from my local council in Wales, Monmouthshire. They have received my certificate and while I have not received my invitation letter, they are fine with me attending a ceremony without it. I am booked in for a private ceremony (the only type they are doing) next week and there was no mention of a fee at all.

My approval was on 29/06/2020.

Good luck everyone and hopefully things will continue to move along during the lockdown.

Katie9
Newly Registered
Poland

Post by Katie9 » Tue Nov 03, 2020 2:11 pm

Hello everyone.
I was wondering if anyone had dealt with Glasgow City Council at all?

TheTraveller
- thin ice -

Post by TheTraveller » Tue Nov 03, 2020 2:34 pm

murzica wrote:
Tue Nov 03, 2020 1:47 pm
Hello,

I've just received my ceremony invitation letter from Ealing Council, along with another letter informing me ceremonies are suspended during lockdown.
My approval date was July 16th, so I've been waiting for it for 16 weeks only to get it right when lockdown starts. :x
The letter from the council does not state any ceremony options - private or virtual - it only says they'll contact me to reschedule and I shouldn't contact them in the meanwhile.

It’s weird .. would you mind copy it here but of course hide your details

korben555
Newly Registered
Ukraine

Post by korben555 » Tue Nov 03, 2020 2:39 pm

Approved on 18.08.20.
I've written am email to Hounslow council , asking to check on my Certificate.
Then I got a call, and lady was talking to me in not very supportive way.
It sounded as defending HO ways of doing its job.
I was " pleased " to hear that there is no way Hounslow Reg.Off. will allow me attend Ceremony without that Letter.
Hearing that lady's accent ,I presume that she wasn't born on this Island .... And no compassion whatsoever ?
Anyway, I was trying to sign that petition , mentioned above , but it says that they have to check something, before allowing it to exist.

Soo123
Pakistan

Post by Soo123 » Tue Nov 03, 2020 2:41 pm

Hi All

I applied on 14 December 2019 took my biometrics on 16 December 2019 and on 4th August after sending loads of email to the home office I received there approval on 4th August 2020 that my application has been approved.

I live in Surrey but I put Hillingdon for my ceremony I just called Hillingdon council and been told that they have got my certificate I asked the lady twice as I cannot believe that they have my certificate however they have curtailed all the ceremonies till further notice .

I would like to thank everyone and specially Baybar1 triple salute to you 👌👌👍👍 your dates are accurate.

Nikamo
Newly Registered
Germany

Post by Nikamo » Tue Nov 03, 2020 2:57 pm

I have just received an email to say that my council has received my certificate yesterday, but won't book me in until I have my invitation letter.
They will also only offer small group ceremonies. I am in Scotland so no national lockdown yet. Just hope the wait is over soon.

PKay39
Newly Registered
Kenya

Post by PKay39 » Tue Nov 03, 2020 2:59 pm

Hey Nikamo. Pleased for you. What’s your approval date and what council? Thanks

Tirinti
Mood:

Post by Tirinti » Tue Nov 03, 2020 3:10 pm

Dorota01 wrote:
Tue Nov 03, 2020 1:06 pm
Croydon Council placed this nice and sweat message: "From 5 November, weddings, civil partnerships and citizenship ceremonies will not be taking place due to national restrictions." I guess, open ended.
Unbelievable!!!
I'm not surprised at all. Last time Croydon was one of the latest councils to resume ceremonies. I don't expect they will resume this year. On Thursday they are starting holidays.
They asked government for bailout as they run out of money after failed investment in Whitgift - Centrale redevelopment and mismanaged Brick by Brick development company. They've wasted hundreds of millions of taxpayers money and now they don't even bother they can easily grab £200 per virtual ceremony which they can do in 5mins from home.

Aug20
Newly Registered
Zambia

Post by Aug20 » Tue Nov 03, 2020 3:14 pm

Approval 28/08/2020

Got a call from my local authority and they received a large amount of certificates from HO and booked me in for ceremony tomorrow before the lockdown. Not yet received my invitation letter. Council asked me to bring any HO letter and ID is fine...

Bromley Council...

Good Lucky to all

Nikamo
Newly Registered
Germany

Post by Nikamo » Tue Nov 03, 2020 3:32 pm

PKay39 wrote:
Tue Nov 03, 2020 2:59 pm
Hey Nikamo. Pleased for you. What’s your approval date and what council? Thanks
Approval date was 15/07/2020.
Certificate was received by council on 02/11
It is Falkirk Council

adekunbi
Newly Registered
Nigeria

Post by adekunbi » Tue Nov 03, 2020 4:02 pm

My council West Lothian confirm that they received my certificate yestetday. I hope I would receive invitation letter before the end of the week.
Approval date 29 July 2020

murzica
Newly Registered

Post by murzica » Tue Nov 03, 2020 4:22 pm

TheTraveller wrote:
Tue Nov 03, 2020 2:34 pm
murzica wrote:
Tue Nov 03, 2020 1:47 pm
Hello,

It’s weird .. would you mind copy it here but of course hide your details
This is the letter about the ceremonies being suspended: