ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

UK IT Job Market - Need advice

Employers looking for workers, people looking for employers: Get connected here.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

srikanthkakumanu
Newly Registered

UK IT Job Market - Need advice

Post by srikanthkakumanu » Fri Sep 12, 2008 6:34 pm

Hi Friends,

I have HSMP which is valid till Aug'09 i.e. next year. I came to UK on July 28th and i am still searching for job here. I use to get many consultant calls initially. But no use. Not a single interview was attempted. I don't think that i had a problem with my resume as i am having considerable J2EE skills and experience.

I am totally frustrated and i am having H1B; i can move to US anytime.

I just want to know is this problem for me only or it is everybody's case.

If i wait here till September end, Will i have any bright chances of getting Job?

I am having impression that if i move to US now, Would get some job. But i should not be too late as this is last quarter in US and UK.

I don' know what to do. To stay in UK or to move UK. I am in worry that i would need to wait joblessly till Dec'08. If i don't get the job in UK.

Any body Please advice me about the job market in UK and in US. so that i could take some decision soon.

all i am worrying is that this is last quarter and if i don't any job in UK and if i wait here till Sep'08 last day. I will not see any opening in US also.

I need to act fact. So please advice me ASAP on this regard.

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Fri Sep 12, 2008 7:10 pm

I though H1B was tied to a specific job/employer?
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....

srikanthkakumanu
Newly Registered

Post by srikanthkakumanu » Fri Sep 12, 2008 7:16 pm

Yes, My Friend.

It is with specific employer

namastelondon

Post by namastelondon » Fri Sep 12, 2008 11:40 pm

U have to take a call. But i felt in ur case US is better option.U must have applied for H1 via some consultant and they will help u to search job etc. The problem here is that we have to search job on our own on HSMP visa.Ur visa is going to expire next year and u have less then one year,I see u may have some in Extension as u have to show salary for 1 year.
I came to Uk as i did not get my H1 visa due to all this lottery bullshit,US is any time better.

nshar1

Post by nshar1 » Sat Sep 13, 2008 11:50 am

For a J2EE person it takes around 2-3 months to find a job in the UK market under these conditions. Getting lots of calls during the first 1 week of job search is very common and meaningless.

What is worrying in your case is that you have not even attended even a single interview.

Please reanalyze the following factors in your job search:

1)Are you located at the right place: The job market is totally controlled by placement consultants in UK. These people prefer to forward local candidates to their clients. It would be better if you have a London address on your CV.

2)Are you asking for the right salary: A salary on the higher side would put off these consultants(Although these consultants have no idea how much you deserve or how good your skills are).).

3)Do you have the right skills for the UK J2EE market. You need to have the following: Spring, Hibernate,Struts,SQL, JSP, servlets,struts,agile(XP or scrum,test driven development + testing frameworks).

4)Do you exude the right level of confidence when you talk to these consultants - You must sound very confident when you talk to the consultants.

5)Are you active with your CV? update it, regularly apply to the job postings.

6)Do you have certifications listed on your CV.

Regarding your thoughts about going to US on H1, Are to going to a consultant who will place you on bench initially ? If yes,Will you be paid?
US job markets are equally bad during tough times.

This one is a tough decision to make.

su.harish
Newly Registered

Keep posting if you made any progress abt your job hunt

Post by su.harish » Mon Sep 15, 2008 6:25 am

Hi, It will be great and will be helpful for others if you can post what kind of problems you faced and how did you got the breakthrough from them based on your experience. The same shall we immensely useful for others to emerge successfully from similar kind of situation. Thanks.

taiwookunade
Newly Registered

Post by taiwookunade » Mon Sep 15, 2008 9:40 am

I believe people may decide to give advice based on their experiences and those of people they are close to. I have had my own fair share of experience in the UK job market and can also talk about the experience of my friends who came to the UK before and after me. You have the right to either advice people to come and work in the UK or forget the idea entirely. There were times when I was considering returning back to my country due to frustration of unemployment. I almost took up low paying jobs due to this factor. At the end of the day, egencies (please note: not employers) still refused to look at my CV.

I came to the UK with the impression that i would secure a good job in less than a month or so. This was based on my experience with a multinational firm in my home country and my academic and professional qualifications. I was even told before I left my country for the UK that my profession was one of the most sought after by employers in the UK.

It was very disappointing that after two months I was still looking desperately to secure my first role in the UK. I had to resolve to taking up voluntary work for a month to break into the market. It is rare to find people that break into the UK job market easily without prior UK experience. Employers are looking for individuals that will be able to blend easily with their existing staff and they believe the only way that will be possible is if the individuals have had an experience with a UK company in the UK (please note: not a UK company outside the UK).

Well, I have changed jobs twice since I got here. While my first job was voluntary which later turned to fixed contract, I have a permanent job now. I have also noticed that you would not have any problem at work if you are good at what you do as they reward merit here a lot.

My advice - if you are coming to the UK for solely job purpose, please be prepared to take up voluntary work to break into the job market. Also ensure that you have enough fund with you to cater for you and your family during the period of temporary unemployment. Irresponsible agents may also want to dampen your morale. I imploy you not to allow this to happen. if you are good, your job is there waiting for you to take it.

jhp

Post by jhp » Mon Sep 15, 2008 9:53 am

I agree with what taiwookunade says. I have been in the UK for around 4 years now and have previously changed jobs on WP. I can tell you times are tough now. With Lehmann brothers collapssing and other business going bust, we defnitly have very trying times ahead. Anybody looking to move to the UK in the coming months(especially the next 2-3 months) might want to rethink. There are loads of people without jobs and fewer jobs. I am not saying don't make the move I am only telling people to rethink that the next 2-3 months are not the best of times in a already very challenging and competitive UK market, and maybe postpone your departure for a few months.