ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Foreign Birth Registration

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

Georgia345
Newly Registered

Re: Foreign Birth Registration

Post by Georgia345 » Thu Oct 22, 2020 8:05 pm

avro1959 wrote:
Thu Oct 22, 2020 6:18 pm
Erm the commenter who indicated that birth registration processing is much more efficient in most Asian countries is right. In the rest of the world, foreign birth registration and transmission of citizenship is a serious matter treated with urgency, even during covid. It's typically dealt with by the embassy and treated with urgency since most expats and their newborns need to have a valid passport to continue living in whichever foreign country they're in, and most Asian countries do not have birthright citizenship. An Indian friend of mine who was born in Dubai also had a child born in Dubai just registered her child's birth at the embassy and it took a grand total of... 3 weeks. That's just one anecdote, I have several friends in Dubai (all expats from different countries) who had similar processes with their embassies.

Ireland is a different beast - most FBR applicants I see here are either British citizens who want to remain in the EU club, or North Americans looking for the thrill of a second passport. No wonder the Irish government has de-prioritized an otherwise very essential service. In their view, Brits and Americans can wait.
Exactly. I am commenting based on my own experience, which I am fully aware of instead of trying to argue based on a Google research.

BrexitEscapee
- thin ice -

Post by BrexitEscapee » Thu Oct 22, 2020 9:51 pm

Georgia345 wrote:
Thu Oct 22, 2020 7:54 pm
Read the post from avro1959. Please do not try to argue based on your research online (I gave you a general idea because I'm not sure if you have any acquaintance with Asian friends/relatives or works/worked in a company that has/had business acquaintance with Asian companies Or if you have lived in Asian countries before (going holiday for 6 months or many years is not counted) that had to deal with registrations abroad. So I think it is obvious that you do not practice efficency in your daily life /work. For instance, go google TEMPOYAK and if you have never seen/smell/taste it in real life and have no idea what it is how can you tell me whether you like it or not? By looking at all the images on Google and reading people 's review online or YouTube to tell me if you like it or not?
I'm not wishing to argue over this. As I say, I'm curious, because I'm unaware of any other countries doing anything similar to the Irish FBR system. This website and the internet are telling me none - which is why I'm asking you. I'm not demanding you do my research for me - just name the country and I'll happily go and educate myself from there.

Georgia345
Newly Registered

Post by Georgia345 » Fri Oct 23, 2020 7:52 am

BrexitEscapee wrote:
Thu Oct 22, 2020 9:51 pm
Georgia345 wrote:
Thu Oct 22, 2020 7:54 pm
Read the post from avro1959. Please do not try to argue based on your research online (I gave you a general idea because I'm not sure if you have any acquaintance with Asian friends/relatives or works/worked in a company that has/had business acquaintance with Asian companies Or if you have lived in Asian countries before (going holiday for 6 months or many years is not counted) that had to deal with registrations abroad. So I think it is obvious that you do not practice efficency in your daily life /work. For instance, go google TEMPOYAK and if you have never seen/smell/taste it in real life and have no idea what it is how can you tell me whether you like it or not? By looking at all the images on Google and reading people 's review online or YouTube to tell me if you like it or not?
I'm not wishing to argue over this. As I say, I'm curious, because I'm unaware of any other countries doing anything similar to the Irish FBR system. This website and the internet are telling me none - which is why I'm asking you. I'm not demanding you do my research for me - just name the country and I'll happily go and educate myself from there.
Me either. I would like to enlighten/remind you that there are always information/experiences/ stories that one can never tell you from the Internet. Say you attend a lecture, the lecturer may write all the facts etc down for you but there are always certain info that the lecturer will not put in writing if it's a personal experience/they may need to explain it in person (eg: additional mathematics). Since you are a person of curious in nature, why are you not aware of this assuming you have a wide social network. Otherwise, I would strongly suggest you to go out there to explore. The world is your oyster.

Doddyod
Newly Registered

Post by Doddyod » Fri Oct 23, 2020 8:20 am

I cannot wait until the tier 5 lockdown is over in 6 weeks, then we can return to the normal “not heard anything yet” & “tracking numbers not working” posts, so that it can put an end to the “this countries immigration approach is better than Ireland” discussions!

This is a great thread, but if you have been on here for a while, you will see that this is not the first thread on FBR, the previous one was locked and closed due to “discussions” that I feel the current one will start to resemble soon, if it carries on much further?

I was in the state that I received the address confirmation e-mail after 498 days of waiting, the day BEFORE the lockdown was announced, so I am resigned to another 6 weeks delay, but after 16 months, what is another month or two :-) The team in Dublin are doing a great job given the weird times we are in, they deserve ONLY our thanks in my opinion.

Stay safe all

Fogg
Newly Registered

Post by Fogg » Fri Oct 23, 2020 8:54 am

Fbrlad wrote:
Thu Oct 22, 2020 6:58 am
My understanding is that “receiving and processing new FBR applications” is paused, but the current applications are still being processed which means that they most likely are processing them from home and this of course would cause a delay due to logistics.
This brings me some hope, but another part of me thinks that we are all probably 'new' applications, so who knows. Really hope we get someone popping up to say they've seen some movement with their application.

...speaking of which, I can't find any sort of 'closed for covid' message on the DFA website. Where did people read about the closure?

jamiepompey
Mood:
Ireland

Post by jamiepompey » Fri Oct 23, 2020 9:09 am

Doddyod wrote:
Fri Oct 23, 2020 8:20 am
I cannot wait until the tier 5 lockdown is over in 6 weeks, then we can return to the normal “not heard anything yet” & “tracking numbers not working” posts, so that it can put an end to the “this countries immigration approach is better than Ireland” discussions!

This is a great thread, but if you have been on here for a while, you will see that this is not the first thread on FBR, the previous one was locked and closed due to “discussions” that I feel the current one will start to resemble soon, if it carries on much further?

I was in the state that I received the address confirmation e-mail after 498 days of waiting, the day BEFORE the lockdown was announced, so I am resigned to another 6 weeks delay, but after 16 months, what is another month or two :-) The team in Dublin are doing a great job given the weird times we are in, they deserve ONLY our thanks in my opinion.

Stay safe all
Ha yeah, I remember that fight, It's almost an exact carbon copy of what happened in the previous thread before it was shut down. would rather that didn't happen this time. The FBR team are under a lot of pressure these days compared to pre Brexit where a friend of mine reliably informs me that his FBR application was approved within two weeks back in about 2005. Whilst I know the team has grown in size it probably still isn't big enough to cope with the volume of applications so as to get through them in good time. Until all this Brexit rubbish is sorted it's probably going to be at least another five years or so of extended wait times for FBR applications.

Congrats on your address confirmation email, that's you basically there. You've had to wait long enough already so another six weeks is nothing in comparison (altho I'm sure it will feel like a lifetime!). Feel very lucky that I managed to get my FBR certificate and passport sorted in September.

I'm hanging around this thread as once my daughter is born in January we'll be joining the back of the queue again for her application. I'm sure the wait will be just as long if not longer than is currently advertised but at least there won't be too much urgency for her. Lucky girl will have British, Australian, Irish and Maltese passports eventually.

Doddyod
Newly Registered

Post by Doddyod » Fri Oct 23, 2020 9:42 am

Fogg wrote:
Fri Oct 23, 2020 8:54 am
Fbrlad wrote:
My understanding is that “receiving and processing new FBR applications” is paused, but the current applications are still being processed which means that they most likely are processing them from home and this of course would cause a delay due to logistics.
This brings me some hope, but another part of me thinks that we are all probably 'new' applications, so who knows. Really hope we get someone popping up to say they've seen some movement with their application.

...speaking of which, I can't find any sort of 'closed for covid' message on the DFA website. Where did people read about the closure?
Hi,

It is on the Passports page :-)

https://www.dfa.ie/passportonline/

DoD

Fogg
Newly Registered

Post by Fogg » Fri Oct 23, 2020 10:13 am

Doddyod wrote:
Fri Oct 23, 2020 9:42 am
Fogg wrote:
Fri Oct 23, 2020 8:54 am
Fbrlad wrote:

Hi,

It is on the Passports page :-)

https://www.dfa.ie/passportonline/

DoD
Aha, thank you DoD! I'm a long way from applying for a passport so I would never have looked there.

Doddyod
Newly Registered

Post by Doddyod » Fri Oct 23, 2020 11:31 am

jamiepompey wrote:
Fri Oct 23, 2020 9:09 am
I'm hanging around this thread as once my daughter is born in January we'll be joining the back of the queue again for her application. I'm sure the wait will be just as long if not longer than is currently advertised but at least there won't be too much urgency for her. Lucky girl will have British, Australian, Irish and Maltese passports eventually.
If you have your FBR already, when your daughter is born, doesn’t that mean she is already in and you can apply straight for a passport for her, as she is born to an Irish citizen?

Congrats on the upcoming bundle of joy too!

jamiepompey
Mood:
Ireland

Post by jamiepompey » Fri Oct 23, 2020 11:38 am

Doddyod wrote:
Fri Oct 23, 2020 11:31 am
jamiepompey wrote:
Fri Oct 23, 2020 9:09 am
If you have your FBR already, when your daughter is born, doesn’t that mean she is already in and you can apply straight for a passport for her, as she is born to an Irish citizen?

Congrats on the upcoming bundle of joy too!
Many thanks! Only a little bit terrified! No unfortunately not as I wasn't born in Ireland so she will have to go through the FBR process as she will be born in the UK. Annoyingly we will have to do a similar thing with her Australian citizenship as my wife was born in Australia but as our daughter will be born in the UK we have to pay to acquire the citizenship. Although it's only about £100 so that's at least a relief.

mp3way
Newly Registered
Canada

Post by mp3way » Sat Oct 24, 2020 4:50 am

I was wondering if anyone has had success with expediting the application for reasons other than pregnancy? I begin my studies in Ireland next fall and my embassy has told me not to apply for a student visa while my FBR application is under review or it could lead to complications. When I applied, they told me the average wait was 6 months. Obviously nobody could predict COVID, but I'm getting worried.

IrishNJUSAMan
United States of America

Post by IrishNJUSAMan » Sat Oct 24, 2020 5:45 am

BigDaddy100 wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 8:48 pm
AntrimGrandchild wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 4:16 pm
BigDaddy100 wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 10:25 am
My long wait is over! My FBR certificate and supporting docs were delivered yesterday.
USPS Informed Delivery sent a text saying my package was "delivered to an individual".
A few minutes later, it was in my mailbox. No-contact delivery, I guess. 8)

Congrats to you@BigDaddy100 you are now really Irish!!!
I completed my Irish Passport application on 10/8 and since I’m a AAAPlus member I obtained the 4 photos there, then one of the notaries witnessed / notarized the Appl, backs of 2 photos, and the color copy of my NJ Drivers license. I got a money order at the post office since it was 9 bucks cheaper than a bank check. I kept a copy of everything for my records. I sent it to the Irish consulate nyc on 10/8 via USPS Envelope Priority And it was recd there on 10/10. My witness at AAA confirmed that she was contacted by the consulate ny office on 10/23 via phone and just simply confirmed that she notarized and witnessed on 10/8. I guess they now send over to Ireland for processing which is now paused.
I think you need to send yours to a different office that handles West coast.
This process is quicker but now we await improved covid rates in IRE so they can resume processing.
Any questions let me know.

My timeline:
Application submitted online: 16 June 2019
Email acknowledging receipt of documents (Balbriggan): 01 July 2019
Confirmation of address email: 24 September 2020
Date added to FBR: 25 September 2020
Congrats email / Certificate Printed/Mailed: 01 October 2020
FBR certificate received: 20 October 2020

I will get started on the passport application, even though processing is paused for now.
The photo and notary steps will require a little more coordination than they did last time.
Best of luck to all. Hopefully, the Level 5 stage will pass quickly.
Congrats!!! I was wondering - how did you track the certificate from overseas? I receive a tracking reference number, but have no idea where I would input this information. Thank you for any help you can give!
Hi AntrimGrandchild,
I tracked with both the AnPost and USPS sites. Both let you enter the tracking number and read the current status. When the FBR team first sent out the package, it only appeared on the An Post site (after a day or two delay). Once the package reached the US (JFK), it appeared on both sites. Once it left JFK, only the USPS site showed an updated status and An Post no longer updated. Yesterday, when it was actually delivered, both sites showed it as having been delivered.

On the USPS site, you can sign up for email and text updates. You'll get an updated notification every time the package is scanned along the way. Even though it's registered mail, mail carriers aren't always requiring signatures (due to the pandemic?), and often leave the mail in the box. Given its importance, I was glad to receive the "Delivered" text as a heads-up. Good luck to you!

BigDaddy100
United States of America

Post by BigDaddy100 » Sat Oct 24, 2020 5:58 pm

IrishNJUSAMan wrote:
Sat Oct 24, 2020 5:45 am
BigDaddy100 wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 10:25 am
My long wait is over! My FBR certificate and supporting docs were delivered yesterday.
USPS Informed Delivery sent a text saying my package was "delivered to an individual".
A few minutes later, it was in my mailbox. No-contact delivery, I guess. 8)
Congrats to you@BigDaddy100 you are now really Irish!!!
I completed my Irish Passport application on 10/8 and since I’m a AAAPlus member I obtained the 4 photos there, then one of the notaries witnessed / notarized the Appl, backs of 2 photos, and the color copy of my NJ Drivers license. I got a money order at the post office since it was 9 bucks cheaper than a bank check. I kept a copy of everything for my records. I sent it to the Irish consulate nyc on 10/8 via USPS Envelope Priority And it was recd there on 10/10. My witness at AAA confirmed that she was contacted by the consulate ny office on 10/23 via phone and just simply confirmed that she notarized and witnessed on 10/8. I guess they now send over to Ireland for processing which is now paused.
I think you need to send yours to a different office that handles West coast.
This process is quicker but now we await improved covid rates in IRE so they can resume processing.
Any questions let me know.
Hi @IrishNJUSAMan,
Thanks for the tip about using AAA for passport photos. There's an office not far from me.
I am curious about one thing, though. The AAA website says their photos are 2" x 2", while the DFA site has slightly different guidelines for size (Minimum: 35mm x 45mm; Maximum: 38mm x 50mm).
Did AAA adjust the photo size for you or did you send them as-is?
Good luck with your passport process. I hope that your wait is minimal. In my area the passport application goes to the consulate in San Francisco.

IrishNJUSAMan
United States of America

Post by IrishNJUSAMan » Sat Oct 24, 2020 6:54 pm

Hiya @ BigDaddy100
Good question, during each convo we have here I see we are very similar, thorough/resourceful and do our homework.
Depending on your AAA Membership and notarization services can be free, I would suggest calling the branch or stopping by. I visited and had all the required specs such as white/cream background, back of photos white an unglazed finish, must stand to take photo and I had the specs too. I told them that I need 4 photos for an Ireland passport, that my friend is most important!! Apparently the Digital camera my Branch uses must have a program in it called Fasti and this allows the operator to select Country and Document type and further the soecs /settings are programmed accordingly. ( nite there is an option for Ireland Visa which has different specs). One pic was taken and it had the four photos. We cut them there and she signed and dated and write the Appl # then she notarized
the back of two of them with here black ink ouch stamp. She did it this way and in this order to allow tge ink to dry and no smudge. When I was leaving we even placed a piece of scrap paper between them to avoid any issue, she put the 2 unsigned photos in a separate paper passport holder. I got all the notary stuff done there too.
I brought a color copy of my drivers license as well, I had her write: I HEREBY CERTIFY THIS TO BE A TRUE COPY OF AN ORIGINAL, She signed and dated it, applied her black pre-inked push down notary stamp and I also asked her to use the notary seal embossed that crimps the seal onto the document. When you have your witness complete and sign section 9 of the application be sure to have them provide an active phone number also the witness Needs to use the pre-inked push down notary stamp in the official stamp box. Also be sure to retain the copy off the application bar code # label located on the bottom right.
Sorry for all the detail, I hope it’s helpful! Ummm yes, I am a commissioned Notary Public in NJ, so I made sure all was done flawlessly.

BigDaddy100
United States of America

Post by BigDaddy100 » Sat Oct 24, 2020 7:02 pm

Thanks @IrishNJUSAMan for all the useful info! Yes, I am a fan of detail. :)

Mirroch
Newly Registered

Post by Mirroch » Sat Oct 24, 2020 10:02 pm

Has anyone had any luck with writing to the DFA? If so, what address did you use? The address given in the DFA's email is different to the one that you send your FBR application to.

I'm getting absolutely nowhere with my parents' marriage certificate. Nobody from the DFA is replying to my emails and I can't get hold of anyone to speak to in Pennsylvania - I'm phoning the county courthouse in the county I think my parents got married in, but nobody answers the phone.

Nobody answers the phone. Nobody replies to emails.

How are you ever meant to speak to anyone anymore?

If they don't answer my letter, I'll fly out to Ireland, I swear.

IrishNJUSAMan
United States of America

Post by IrishNJUSAMan » Sat Oct 24, 2020 10:27 pm

Mirroch wrote:
Sat Oct 24, 2020 10:02 pm
Has anyone had any luck with writing to the DFA? If so, what address did you use? The address given in the DFA's email is different to the one that you send your FBR application to.

I'm getting absolutely nowhere with my parents' marriage certificate. Nobody from the DFA is replying to my emails and I can't get hold of anyone to speak to in Pennsylvania - I'm phoning the county courthouse in the county I think my parents got married in, but nobody answers the phone.

I’ve gotten through via the web chat when needed it took a few times you must refresh and when the box changes from gray to green you enter form information and then wait in queue.
I would recommend that you do so around 4 am eastern time since they are ahead of us, also have your question pretyped in a word doc or draft email so you can then copy/paste as soon as box is green
You must do this very quickly otherwise someone else will get in quickly and it will turn grey. I have found them helpful. You have an option to save the chat upon conclusion.
I know you mentioned your parents were possibly married in PA in a Jewish synagogue. Are there any other family members or friends who may have attended and recall where/when?
Here’s a different link that way be helpful. I had to obtain my maternal grandparents marriage license certificate from the NYC Archives, also obtained my grandfathers death certificate from 1938 at tge same location, then had to have it certified/notarized by a certain dept in downtown NYC.
Maybe this link can help
https://www.jewishgen.org/jgs-pittsburgh/

DanaMarie
Ireland

Post by DanaMarie » Sun Oct 25, 2020 10:58 am

Mirroch wrote:
Sat Oct 24, 2020 10:02 pm

The FBR section is closed now until Dublin returns to Level 3 so that's perhaps why you aren't reaching anyone. What is it that you are trying to reach them for specifically? There isn't any way around providing a civil marriage record, unless they were never legally married. In which case you need to state that though they presented themselves as a married couple and they were married in a religious ceremony in a synagogue they never filed the paperwork to make it a legal marriage. Have you tried looking for newspaper articles or synagogue publications which might mention the wedding? It took me well over a year of digging, contacting church secretary after church secretary, looking at old newspaper clippings in a box kept by my cousin, searching every free and paid genealogical database before I finally gave up and went the route of my grandparents never having been legally married, which no doubt would have been devastating to my grandmother to hear if she was living because she was heavily involved with the Catholic Church.

Mirroch
Newly Registered

Post by Mirroch » Sun Oct 25, 2020 6:52 pm

@IrishNJUSAMan - I'm in the UK and I got through to the webchat, but it was useless. The guy told me to email; I said I already had and he said "try again" and hung up. I suppose I'll try again tomorrow with no expectation of getting anywhere.

There's no living family members left who attended my parents' marriage. My mum is English, but met and married my dad in America. They lived there for a few years in the '60s, but they haven't been back to America since. Not even for a holiday. My dad was an only child and he has no close relatives left.

Thanks for the link. I looked at it but I can't find anything. Pennsyvlania has no online record of marriages after 1950 that I can find anywhere and I've looked pretty thoroughly. I've tried records sites like VitalChek.com and ancestry sites.

@DanaMarie - If the FBR is going to shut every single time this wretched virus rises slightly, then at the very least they need to drop all deadlines: I've got a 28 day deadline to send them a new document. I can't possibly meet that at the moment.

I can't see my parents' marriage being mentioned in a newspaper. Been looking for half an hour online, but no mention of my dad (although I found a mention of my great grandmother!) in the Pennsylvania newspaper archives. Incidentally his surname is very rare, so it didn't take long to go through the few references in English that there were.

I absolutely do not have one ounce of your patience, so if nothing else comes up within the next few days I'm just gonna declare to the DFA that I can't provide the proof that they want and try to re-apply on the basis of my parents never having gotten married. This has turned into a nightmare, this application.

Mandino55
Canada

Post by Mandino55 » Fri Oct 30, 2020 4:16 pm

Eerily quiet on the thread...

jamiepompey
Mood:
Ireland

Post by jamiepompey » Fri Oct 30, 2020 7:08 pm

Mandino55 wrote:
Fri Oct 30, 2020 4:16 pm
I guess it will go quiet as the DFA currently aren’t processing applications so no news to report. I feel very lucky that I managed to get my FBR and passport in September.

Clancy, any word on your passport?

jgclancy
Member of Standing
United States of America

Post by jgclancy » Fri Oct 30, 2020 8:30 pm

jamiepompey wrote:
Fri Oct 30, 2020 7:08 pm
Mandino55 wrote:
I guess it will go quiet as the DFA currently aren’t processing applications so no news to report. I feel very lucky that I managed to get my FBR and passport in September.

Clancy, any word on your passport?

Me? I'm still waiting for approval of FBR not passport. Day 492 for me. Looking like next year now. Not much going on anymore so this thread will be quiet a while.
jgclancy

James1308
Newly Registered

Post by James1308 » Sat Oct 31, 2020 2:52 pm

Mandino55 wrote:
Ha yes indeed. I've had my moan so there's nothing else to say for quite a while now!

Mirroch
Newly Registered

Post by Mirroch » Mon Nov 02, 2020 1:25 pm

Quick update.

I've just spoken to someone on the webchat service. At least he was a bit more helpful than the previous guy and didn't cut me off early. I found out they're not actually connected to the FBR, which I didn't realise - they're on the FBR section of the website, so I assumed they were set up to deal with FBR queries. But they're not. In fact I'm not sure what they can actually help with. Certainly not certificates going from my experience.

At any rate I can't do anything until the DFA reopen. Passport applications have been suspended, so hopefully any deadlines for documents will be as well.

schmood
Newly Registered
Mood:

Post by schmood » Sat Nov 07, 2020 2:34 pm

Hi all,

I finally got all my documents together just in time for the new lockdown. Sigh. I thought I'd may as well send them off so they are ready to process once 'Dublin returns to tier 3'. Unfortunately, I lost the tracking number for my package but I did send it recorded 1st class delivery, about a week ago. I haven't heard anything back which obviously makes sense because there's no one working there but I did start to panic a little

1. Can I expect to get a 'confirmation of receipt' email once they do reopen their office?
2. Should I be worried that the package is lost forever/if there is physically nobody there to receive it?
3. Would also be great to hear from anyone who submitted during the first lockdown or now

Thanks all