ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Citizenship Ceremony cancelled due to Covid-19

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny

Dreams101
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Re: Citizenship Ceremony cancelled due to Covid-19

Post by Dreams101 » Sat Nov 07, 2020 11:29 am

dtmann wrote:
Sat Nov 07, 2020 8:50 am
Dreams101 wrote:
Fri Nov 06, 2020 8:26 pm
LoreleiB wrote:
Fri Nov 06, 2020 5:08 pm
Just received an update from Coventry City Council. All ceremonies are cancelled due to lockdown. They are doing virtual ceremonies hopefully in a week's time and will be in contact with attendees directly to organise them.

I had a group ceremony booked for the 18th Nov so I hope I can still attend an online ceremony relatively soon. Let's see what they say.
Hi LoreleiB. Thanks for sharing. My council is Coventry too. Received approval email on 18 May 2020, but nothing since.

Do you mind sharing your approval date, and the date you received you invitation letter?
Also, this is great news that Cov council are finally starting virtual ceremonies.
Can you please share how you received this update?

Thank you
Hi guys, I am also from Coventry City Council, approved 24th August but no Ceremony Invitation yet.

@LoreleiB did anyone from CCC staff confirm they are doing virtual ceremenies? Because "Do it Online" has been on their website for quite a while now, but about a week ago I was told they hadn't started this yet.

@Dreams101 it seems to be quite a long wait since 18 May 2020 ?
There is definitely something wrong in the way the Invitations are sent because this surely is not based on approval dates at all. It seems to be very random.
I don't understabd what's going on tbh an I am very frustrated and don't know what to do.

Application date 09 March 2020
Biometrics: 10 March 2020
Approval email 18 May 2020
Invitation letter: Still waiting
Ceremony: ??

I filed a complaint with the HO on 04 November. Let's see how that goes.

Coventry applicatnts please keep us updated about your progress.

I emailed the registry office last week and the lady said that they received certificates for ppl approved up to August.

dtmann
Newly Registered
Albania

Post by dtmann » Sat Nov 07, 2020 11:40 am

Dreams101 wrote:
Sat Nov 07, 2020 11:29 am
dtmann wrote:
Dreams101 wrote:
LoreleiB wrote:
Fri Nov 06, 2020 5:08 pm
Just received an update from Coventry City Council. All ceremonies are cancelled due to lockdown. They are doing virtual ceremonies hopefully in a week's time and will be in contact with attendees directly to organise them.

I had a group ceremony booked for the 18th Nov so I hope I can still attend an online ceremony relatively soon. Let's see what they say.
Hi LoreleiB. Thanks for sharing. My council is Coventry too. Received approval email on 18 May 2020, but nothing since.

Do you mind sharing your approval date, and the date you received you invitation letter?
Also, this is great news that Cov council are finally starting virtual ceremonies.

Thank you
Hi guys, I am also from Coventry City Council, approved 24th August but no Ceremony Invitation yet.

@LoreleiB did anyone from CCC staff confirm they are doing virtual ceremenies? Because "Do it Online" has been on their website for quite a while now, but about a week ago I was told they hadn't started this yet.

There is definitely something wrong in the way the Invitations are sent because this surely is not based on approval dates at all. It seems to be very random.
I don't understabd what's going on tbh an I am very frustrated and don't know what to do.

I emailed the registry office last week and the lady said that they received certificates for ppl approved up to August.
Hi Dreams101, you should have contacted HO much earlier tbh because it takes a while for them to respond due to the high volume of people contcting them. I wish this was a much better organised process but nothing is ever easy when considering the pandemic as well, and the fact that you started your process in March (right in the heart of lockdown) may have an effect on timeline. However, it appears that the model that Baybar1 kindly provided for all of us is still working :) .

Please Coventry applicants let's stay connected.
Thanks

dtmann
Newly Registered
Albania

Post by dtmann » Sat Nov 07, 2020 11:47 am

matteot4 wrote:
Thu Nov 05, 2020 5:54 pm
tauqeer81 wrote:
Thu Nov 05, 2020 2:04 pm
matteot4 wrote:
Thu Nov 05, 2020 12:25 pm
Hi,
I have just registered to the website to post my timeline if it helps for future models.

Applied online on 25 Jun 2020
Biometrics 19 Aug 2020
Approval email 28 August 2020
Invitation letter received 5 nov 2020
Date on the letter 28 October 2020

Ceremony pending - Council Coventry has not yet update the webpage for the new lockdown
First of all congratulations for some development on your application. I am also in Coventry and got the approval on 9 Sept, so I am expecting my letter soon. Did you contact the Coventry council if they will do Online ceremony and if they have your certificate? Thank you!!
Hi tauqeer8,
I have sent an email this morning to ceremonyco-ordinator@coventry.gov.uk asking when it would be possible to book a ceremony but I do not have a reply at the moment.
Hi matteot4,
Did you manage to book a ceremony with Coventry City Council mate?
It seems like they have received quite a few batches of certificates last week and they could be struggling to fit as many people in for ceremonies. It would be great if they start virtual ceremonies as that would move things a lot faster.

Dreams101
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by Dreams101 » Sat Nov 07, 2020 11:53 am

dtmann wrote:
Sat Nov 07, 2020 11:40 am
Dreams101 wrote:
dtmann wrote:
Dreams101 wrote:

Thank you

Hi Dreams101, you should have contacted HO much earlier tbh because it takes a while for them to respond due to the high volume of people contcting them. I wish this was a much better organised process but nothing is ever easy when considering the pandemic as well, and the fact that you started your process in March (right in the heart of lockdown) may have an effect on timeline. However, it appears that the model that Baybar1 kindly provided for all of us is still working :) .

Thanks
I did email FurtherNationalityEnquiries@homeoffice.gov.uk on 25 August. They never replied tho.

Of course many thanks for Baybar1 whose model has worked for so many members here. As for the rest of us who are still waititng, hopefully we'll finish this journey soon.

LiverpoolYNWA
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by LiverpoolYNWA » Sat Nov 07, 2020 11:58 am

baybars1 wrote:
Fri Nov 06, 2020 11:53 pm
LiverpoolYNWA wrote: I applied in August 2019 and approved on 5 August 2020, still no invitation. Yet there are people who applied in July 2020 got approved in September and got their invitation. It's an absolute joke.
Have you checked with the local council if they have received your certificate?
I haven't recently, but Liverpool city council are very unhelpful. They only answer queries on fridays so I have to wait at least until next week.

HamiltonNZ
Newly Registered
European Union

Post by HamiltonNZ » Sat Nov 07, 2020 12:08 pm

Dreams101 wrote:
Sat Nov 07, 2020 11:53 am
dtmann wrote:
Dreams101 wrote:
dtmann wrote:

Thanks
I did email FurtherNationalityEnquiries@homeoffice.gov.uk on 25 August. They never replied tho.

Of course many thanks for Baybar1 whose model has worked for so many members here. As for the rest of us who are still waititng, hopefully we'll finish this journey soon.
Looks like we're in the same boat (applied 3 March, approved 26 May). Sounds like lockdown email approval was a curse rather than the blessing I thought it was at the same time. I have now basically spammed the same email to a half dozen of home office email addresses as well as checking with the council - never got a response (first couple of emails sent in July). Literally don't know what else to do.

Dreams101
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by Dreams101 » Sat Nov 07, 2020 12:16 pm

Looks like we're in the same boat (applied 3 March, approved 26 May). Sounds like lockdown email approval was a curse rather than the blessing I thought it was at the same time. I have now basically spammed the same email to a half dozen of home office email addresses as well as checking with the council - never got a response (first couple of emails sent in July). Literally don't know what else to do.
[/quote]

@HamiltonNZ -- I know. totally agree with you. Don't know what else to do either.

Wonder how many people here are May approvals too. Seems like HO has forgotten about us.

raij
Poland

Post by raij » Sat Nov 07, 2020 12:43 pm

HamiltonNZ wrote:
Sat Nov 07, 2020 12:08 pm
Dreams101 wrote:
Sat Nov 07, 2020 11:53 am
dtmann wrote:
Dreams101 wrote:

Thanks

Looks like we're in the same boat (applied 3 March, approved 26 May). Sounds like lock down email approval was a curse rather than the blessing I thought it was at the same time. I have now basically spammed the same email to a half dozen of home office email addresses as well as checking with the council - never got a response (first couple of emails sent in July). Literally don't know what else to do.
i also sent emails to H.O. i august with no reply , when i phoned H.O. phone line in november they told me that they have not been given any official update from H.O. and to email them on Citizenship.Support@homeoffice.gov.uk , i done that , i also emailed MP ( thats ignoring me) and cc labor leader - with a lenghtly post explaining what people are going though as well as how this all affects their mental health . if i hear anything back from either party i let you all know

Dreams101
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by Dreams101 » Sat Nov 07, 2020 12:51 pm

raij wrote:
Sat Nov 07, 2020 12:43 pm

i also sent emails to H.O. i august with no reply , when i phoned H.O. phone line in november they told me that they have not been given any official update from H.O. and to email them on Citizenship.Support@homeoffice.gov.uk , i done that , i also emailed MP ( thats ignoring me) and cc labor leader - with a lenghtly post explaining what people are going though as well as how this all affects their mental health . if i hear anything back from either party i let you all know
Thank you @raij
Do you mind sharing your timeline?

minikube
Newly Registered
European Union

Post by minikube » Sat Nov 07, 2020 12:51 pm

Dreams101 wrote:
Sat Nov 07, 2020 12:16 pm
@HamiltonNZ -- I know. totally agree with you. Don't know what else to do either.

Wonder how many people here are May approvals too. Seems like HO has forgotten about us.
I am also waiting after May approval, also concerned.

raij
Poland

Post by raij » Sat Nov 07, 2020 12:55 pm

Dreams101 wrote:
Sat Nov 07, 2020 12:51 pm
raij wrote:
Sat Nov 07, 2020 12:43 pm

Thank you @raij
Do you mind sharing your timeline?
applied jan 9
approval email june 3rd
waiting on letter or someone to actually email me ;)

matteot4
Newly Registered
Italy

Post by matteot4 » Sat Nov 07, 2020 2:04 pm

dtmann wrote:
Sat Nov 07, 2020 11:47 am

Hi matteot4,
Did you manage to book a ceremony with Coventry City Council mate?
It seems like they have received quite a few batches of certificates last week and they could be struggling to fit as many people in for ceremonies. It would be great if they start virtual ceremonies as that would move things a lot faster.
Hi,
I have not received a reply from CCC at my email (sent Thursday when I received the invitation letter). I hope to hear something from CCC very soon.
I will post when I have further news.

Luckymhd
Newly Registered
Lebanon

Post by Luckymhd » Sat Nov 07, 2020 2:25 pm

Hi all,

Just want to share my current timeline:

Application: 13th May 2020
Approved: 29th August 2020
Invitation Letter Received: 6th November 2020
Date on invitation letter: 26th October 2020

Ceremony with Ealing council: waiting till Monday when they open

londuk1
Mood:
Greece

Post by londuk1 » Sat Nov 07, 2020 2:44 pm

I was approved on 3/8. Am I the only that haven’t received an invitation letter yet?

Anyone that has experience with Wandsworth council?

Dorota01
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Dorota01 » Sat Nov 07, 2020 2:50 pm

londuk1 wrote:
Sat Nov 07, 2020 2:44 pm
I was approved on 3/8. Am I the only that haven’t received an invitation letter yet?

Anyone that has experience with Wandsworth council?
Approved on the 31 July, still no invitation. Croydon Council.

en_ilegna
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by en_ilegna » Sat Nov 07, 2020 4:12 pm

Dreams101 wrote:

[/quote]

my husband is early june approval as well but no letter at all, no certificate in the council..

nnn15
United Kingdom

Post by nnn15 » Sat Nov 07, 2020 4:24 pm

Dreams101 wrote:

[/quote]

I'm in the same boat (pre-lockdown application, approved during the spring lockdown, no progress since) and here are the options I've tried so far:

0) Phone helpline - fairly useless I'd say as they are an outsourced company, don't have access to the system and can't provide any case-specific information. Also you won't get any paper trail.

1) Email. Didn't get any reply from FurtherNationalityEnquiries. I did get an initial response from citizenship.support in the end of October (it took them more than 3 months to reply and by that time I didn't even expect to get a reply anymore). They said a "relevant department" will look at my query. So I'm hoping that someone at the HO is at least looking into the issue with our applications now.

2) Complaints at the HO website (https://www.ukvi-complaints.homeoffice.gov.uk/reason). I'm not sure if my application got lost, in any case all the timelines the HO previously communicated have passed and I got no clear answer about the lack of progress with my application, so I think it's a valid reason to file a complaint. They have a 20 working days service standard and do respond. However, the response to the first complaint seems to be a generic copy-paste - all the members of this forum were told to wait 8-12 weeks regardless of their application and approval timelines. However, when that expires, it is possible to file a complaint about an existing complaint (as the response to the first complaint didn't provide an explanation and didn't resolve the issue). I filed the first complaint after 4 months wait. The response was to wait for 12 weeks which expires in a couple of weeks. If I don't get a letter by then, I'll have to file a complaint on a complaint. According to the website then a senior member of staff will look into the issue, and I hope if there is a problem with the spring lockdown approvals, at least they could acknowledge the issue and start working on resolving it.

3) Reaching out to a MP. I contacted my MP after 5 months wait. The MP submitted an enquiry but didn't get any response either. They said they would follow up on the issue though.

If you have any other ideas on what we could do, please share. It seems to be purely an admin issue from the HO side, so hopefully shouldn't be too difficult to resolve.

obormot
Member of Standing
France

Post by obormot » Sat Nov 07, 2020 7:06 pm

Mo6193 wrote:
Sat Nov 07, 2020 8:34 am
I'm from Glasgow. Got approved early Aug still no sign of invitation letter. Contacted ho but no response. Council is not giving any info until I receive invitation letter. Its so confusing.
Hi guys:
My colleague just got his invitation letter for Glasgow council ceremony, dated October 27.
He applied on July 25, and received approval email on September 4.

He will try to call them on Monday to see what they say about the ceremony.
the number to call them on the letter is 0141 287 7677
(but on the city website they propose different number, 0141 287 7658, we are not sure which one is correct)

He is over 70, and concerned about covid - so he hopes for virtual ceremony, or might try to postpone..

Mo6193
Newly Registered
Mood:
Pakistan

Post by Mo6193 » Sat Nov 07, 2020 9:29 pm

obormot wrote:
Sat Nov 07, 2020 7:06 pm
Mo6193 wrote:
I'm from Glasgow. Got approved early Aug still no sign of invitation letter. Contacted ho but no response. Council is not giving any info until I receive invitation letter. Its so confusing.
Hi guys:
My colleague just got his invitation letter for Glasgow council ceremony, dated October 27.

(but on the city website they propose different number, 0141 287 7658, we are not sure which one is correct)

He is over 70, and concerned about covid - so he hopes for virtual ceremony, or might try to postpone..
Has anyone else received invitation letter in Glasgow recently please share the timeline.

standrews
United Kingdom

Post by standrews » Sun Nov 08, 2020 4:28 am

Mo6193 wrote:
Sat Nov 07, 2020 9:29 pm
obormot wrote:
Mo6193 wrote:
Hi guys:

Has anyone else received invitation letter in Glasgow recently please share the timeline.
My application date is 17 January and approval date is 01 July, I got my invitation letter to attend ceremony at Glasgow on 06 November (letter dated 01 October).

Hopefully you will also get it very soon.

Wood98
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by Wood98 » Sun Nov 08, 2020 5:17 am

Quick overview,

Biometrics on 4th of March 2020
Approval email on 9th of July
Council received my certificate on 23rd of Oct
Myself received certificate on 5th of November
Virtual ceremony booked for next week
Council is Wandsworth (conducting virtually from next week preference to those who booked already before 2nd lockdown).

I have been a silent reader for over a year now and its my first post. Been through same stress like all of you guys. Now it's my duty to inform you guys that my wait is over and i wish you guys all the best.

Baybras1 model almost worked for me so special thanks to him for a little hope.

I would also like to mention with my own experience about Home office lack of communication. I have emailed them late august on both of their email addresses when i was chasing my certificate and luckily both of their email addresses responded after a month. 1st responded "my letter dispatched on 7th of October".

Another responded after a week of first response that "letter has been printed but not dispatched yet".

Funny isn't it?

Anyway i will see you guys in passport thread 👍🙏

Szrsrts
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Szrsrts » Sun Nov 08, 2020 9:04 am

Wood98 wrote:
Sun Nov 08, 2020 5:17 am
Quick overview,

Council is Wandsworth (conducting virtually from next week preference to those who booked already before 2nd lockdown).

I have been a silent reader for over a year now and its my first post. Been through same stress like all of you guys. Now it's my duty to inform you guys that my wait is over and i wish you guys all the best.

I would also like to mention with my own experience about Home office lack of communication. I have emailed them late august on both of their email addresses when i was chasing my certificate and luckily both of their email addresses responded after a month. 1st responded "my letter dispatched on 7th of October".

Another responded after a week of first response that "letter has been printed but not dispatched yet".

Funny isn't it?

Hi Congratulations!

May you please share the emails you used to contact them.
Thank you

Katie9
Newly Registered
Poland

Post by Katie9 » Sun Nov 08, 2020 9:07 am

standrews wrote:
Sun Nov 08, 2020 4:28 am
Mo6193 wrote:
Sat Nov 07, 2020 9:29 pm
obormot wrote:
Mo6193 wrote:
Hi guys:

My application date is 17 January and approval date is 01 July, I got my invitation letter to attend ceremony at Glasgow on 06 November (letter dated 01 October).

Hopefully you will also get it very soon.
That’s great news, good luck with the ceremony and I hope applying for a passport will be a little easier.

Fingers crossed I’ll get my letter soon!

deoliveira
Newly Registered
Portugal

Post by deoliveira » Sun Nov 08, 2020 9:42 am

Wood98 wrote:
Sun Nov 08, 2020 5:17 am
Quick overview,

Funny isn't it?

🤦‍♂️ +1 on the email address question. Please can you let us know which of the 2 emails was the 'helpful one'?

Dorota01
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Dorota01 » Sun Nov 08, 2020 12:40 pm

I have just received a reply from the Home Office that my invitation letter was sent on 25th October. Also, I should let them know if I still haven’t received the letter yet.
It is the first communication from the HO for more than three months.
I will wait until tomorrow afternoon (post comes around 1 pm) and if still nothing, then I will email them back.
Is it possible that it takes so long for the letter to arrive? It has already been two weeks and still, nothing came in the post. My council doesn’t have my certificate too. Unless the date of 25th October is the dispatch date and it still takes a few days from that date for the letter to reach the post.
Any thoughts on that?