ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Citizenship Ceremony cancelled due to Covid-19

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

fanta

Re: Citizenship Ceremony cancelled due to Covid-19

Post by fanta » Tue Nov 10, 2020 11:10 am

ILR1980 wrote:
Tue Nov 10, 2020 11:00 am
Szrsrts wrote:
Tue Nov 10, 2020 10:36 am
ILR1980 wrote:
Tue Nov 10, 2020 10:22 am
I am still waiting for invitation when got approval email on 18th august and my friend who got approved two weeks later in sep got his invitation letter already few days ago. We are living in same town and have same council so it seem there is no proper order of sending the invitation
Same here 15 August nothing heard as of today. Same council September approvals received their certificates already.
Yea hopefully we will also get in coming weeks. Do they send invitation in normal post in brown envelope?
20 August approval and still waiting. I haven't heard anyone getting invitation closer to that date so far.

ILR1980
Pakistan

Post by ILR1980 » Tue Nov 10, 2020 11:14 am

Many people here with approval in sep already got their invitation letter if you read last few pages. Some july and early August still pending

Szrsrts
Mood:

Post by Szrsrts » Tue Nov 10, 2020 11:17 am

ILR1980 wrote:
Tue Nov 10, 2020 11:00 am
Szrsrts wrote:
Tue Nov 10, 2020 10:36 am
ILR1980 wrote:
Tue Nov 10, 2020 10:22 am
I am still waiting for invitation when got approval email on 18th august and my friend who got approved two weeks later in sep got his invitation letter already few days ago. We are living in same town and have same council so it seem there is no proper order of sending the invitation
Same here 15 August nothing heard as of today. Same council September approvals received their certificates already.
Yea hopefully we will also get in coming weeks. Do they send invitation in normal post in brown envelope?
Hopefully 🙏 as far as I am aware yes they are in brown envelope.

baybars1

Post by baybars1 » Tue Nov 10, 2020 11:17 am

Szrsrts wrote:
Tue Nov 10, 2020 10:38 am
Today my exact 12 weeks has been passed. Anyone has any recommendations what next step I should take ? Any help really appreciated. Thank you very much.
You do have options to get more information, but there is no sure-way of accelerating the process, which in your case is now much delayed, given that people approved in the first week of September have been receiving their invitations.

The easiest thing to do would be to confirm with you council if they have got your certificate. If there is an online booking system in place, you can check if it is possible to book using your details, the HO reference number being the one from your approval letter/e-mail attachment.

Based on what happens there, I would envisage the following decision tree:

(S.1) It is possible to book a ceremony online:
-------(S.1.1) Good news, but you decide to wait until your invite has arrived
-------(S.1.2) The invite should be on its way and therefore you decide to book anyway
----------------(S.1.2.1) The invite arrives in time: go and attend the ceremony
----------------(S.1.2.2) Your invite does not arrive in time and you have two options:
---------------------------(S.1.2.2.1) Cancel the booking and wait for invite
---------------------------(S.1.2.2.2) Turn up on the day with your ID and the approval letter print-out:
-----------------------------------------(S.1.2.2.2.1) It works, job done
-----------------------------------------(S.1.2.2.2.2) They turn you away and you need to re-book
(S.2) Your certificate hasn't arrived at the local council or there is no way for your to confirm this, you can write to the Home Office Nationality Group, in pen and paper, not by email.

Newly Registered
Romania

Post by 3262 » Tue Nov 10, 2020 11:32 am

For H&F Council:

Applied on 26/03/20
Approved on 30/07/20
Invitation letter never arrived
Private ceremony booked for 10/11/20

They are conducting both group and private ceremonies and not asking for the invitation letter as long as they confirmed they received your certificate. Just make sure you have your approval letter with you.

Good luck everyone!

Mo6193
Newly Registered
Mood:
Pakistan

Post by Mo6193 » Tue Nov 10, 2020 11:38 am

Has anyone received invitation letter for late July and early Aug approval?

Szrsrts
Mood:

Post by Szrsrts » Tue Nov 10, 2020 11:47 am

baybars1 wrote:
Tue Nov 10, 2020 11:17 am
Szrsrts wrote:
Tue Nov 10, 2020 10:38 am
Today my exact 12 weeks has been passed. Anyone has any recommendations what next step I should take ? Any help really appreciated. Thank you very much.
You do have options to get more information, but there is no sure-way of accelerating the process, which in your case is now much delayed, given that people approved in the first week of September have been receiving their invitations.

The easiest thing to do would be to confirm with you council if they have got your certificate. If there is an online booking system in place, you can check if it is possible to book using your details, the HO reference number being the one from your approval letter/e-mail attachment.

Based on what happens there, I would envisage the following decision tree:

(S.1) It is possible to book a ceremony online:
-------(S.1.1) Good news, but you decide to wait until your invite has arrived
-------(S.1.2) The invite should be on its way and therefore you decide to book anyway
----------------(S.1.2.1) The invite arrives in time: go and attend the ceremony
----------------(S.1.2.2) Your invite does not arrive in time and you have two options:
---------------------------(S.1.2.2.1) Cancel the booking and wait for invite
---------------------------(S.1.2.2.2) Turn up on the day with your ID and the approval letter print-out:
-----------------------------------------(S.1.2.2.2.1) It works, job done
-----------------------------------------(S.1.2.2.2.2) They turn you away and you need to re-book
(S.2) Your certificate hasn't arrived at the local council or there is no way for your to confirm this, you can write to the Home Office Nationality Group, in pen and paper, not by email.
Hi much appreciated for your time and help. I will wait until Friday and call the council If I don't anything on Friday I will then write to home office. Do you know their nationallty department address? Please thank you.

baybars1

Post by baybars1 » Tue Nov 10, 2020 11:53 am

Szrsrts wrote:
Tue Nov 10, 2020 11:47 am
Hi much appreciated for your time and help. I will wait until Friday and call the council If I don't anything on Friday I will then write to home office. Do you know their nationallty department address? Please thank you.
Here it is (they may have put the same on your approval letter):

Home Office
UK Visas and Immigration
Nationality Group
The Capital Building
Liverpool
L3 9PP

Cost Manager

Post by Cost Manager » Tue Nov 10, 2020 12:30 pm

Mo6193 wrote:
Tue Nov 10, 2020 11:38 am
15 weeks week today and still waiting.
27th of July Approval, still waiting for the the invitation

lmannova

Post by lmannova » Tue Nov 10, 2020 12:44 pm

Cost Manager wrote:
Tue Nov 10, 2020 12:30 pm
Mo6193 wrote:
16 yesterday for me. :(

nnn15

Post by nnn15 » Tue Nov 10, 2020 12:46 pm

lmannova wrote:
Tue Nov 10, 2020 12:44 pm
Cost Manager wrote:
Tue Nov 10, 2020 12:30 pm
Mo6193 wrote:
16 yesterday for me. :(
28 weeks for me :(

Tirinti
Mood:

Post by Tirinti » Tue Nov 10, 2020 1:10 pm

There were 2-3 weeks in October when no one reported receiving an invitation. Probably something went wrong at HO, they thought they are printing and dispatching, but they weren't. It mast have been fixed later and so the September approvals went according to plan. August and late July has been lost and seeing people waiting for the lost invitation since May or June, I don't think we will receive them soon.

lmannova

Post by lmannova » Tue Nov 10, 2020 1:20 pm

Tirinti wrote:
Tue Nov 10, 2020 1:10 pm
There were 2-3 weeks in October when no one reported receiving an invitation. Probably something went wrong at HO, they thought they are printing and dispatching, but they weren't. It mast have been fixed later and so the September approvals went according to plan. August and late July has been lost and seeing people waiting for the lost invitation since May or June, I don't think we will receive them soon.
I think the same. What I don't understand why HO won't say anything.

Tirinti
Mood:

Post by Tirinti » Tue Nov 10, 2020 1:33 pm

There is ongoing issue of so called Loot Boxes in computer games. Some campaigners want them to be classified as gambling and The House of Lords seams to agree.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-53253195
The Lords say they should be classified as "games of chance" - which would bring them under the Gambling Act 2005.

"If a product looks like gambling and feels like gambling, it should be regulated as gambling," their report says.

And they warn that such a change should not wait.

"The government must act immediately to bring loot boxes within the remit of gambling legislation and regulation," said a statement accompanying the report.
For me the naturalisation process is games of chances, it looks and feels like gambling.

baybars1

Post by baybars1 » Tue Nov 10, 2020 1:45 pm

Tirinti wrote:
Tue Nov 10, 2020 1:33 pm
For me the naturalisation process is games of chances, it looks and feels like gambling.
They don't need gambling regulations. Abolishing ceremonies would do.

LiverpoolYNWA
Newly Registered

Post by LiverpoolYNWA » Tue Nov 10, 2020 1:49 pm

Good news and bad news.

Today, I received a letter from the council saying they got my my certificate and told me to attend on the 22nd of November.
Bad news is I still haven't received the invitation letter.

Council - Liverpool City.
Application date - August 2019
Approved - 5 August 2020
Invitation letter - Not received.
Ceremony date - 22nd of November.

LiverpoolYNWA
Newly Registered

Post by LiverpoolYNWA » Tue Nov 10, 2020 1:52 pm

also, I have one question, I would be grateful if someone can answer me.

Me and 3 of my siblings applied at the same time and one of them is 15 years old. I know she doesn't have to attend the ceremony but we still haven't received her certificate and the council has asked us to bring her with us. Does that mean the council have her certificate? I have emailed HO since they said we should receive her certificate within 8 weeks but it's been around 14 weeks and nothing.

mrduplicity
Mood:
Sweden

Post by mrduplicity » Tue Nov 10, 2020 2:16 pm

LiverpoolYNWA wrote:
Tue Nov 10, 2020 1:52 pm

Me and 3 of my siblings applied at the same time and one of them is 15 years old. I know she doesn't have to attend the ceremony but we still haven't received her certificate and the council has asked us to bring her with us. Does that mean the council have her certificate? I have emailed HO since they said we should receive her certificate within 8 weeks but it's been around 14 weeks and nothing.
Have you tried contacting the council to see if they have your sister's certificate?

axeman85
Ghana

Post by axeman85 » Tue Nov 10, 2020 2:24 pm

Thanks to everybody on this thread. The journey has been rough and tough BUT I got there in the end.

Ceremony finally done today this morning at 10am. Jusy about 15mims in total.

See yoh all in the passport thread.

Thanks to baybars, and everyone who has contributed...

baybars1

Post by baybars1 » Tue Nov 10, 2020 2:28 pm

axeman85 wrote:
Tue Nov 10, 2020 2:24 pm
Thanks to everybody on this thread. The journey has been rough and tough BUT I got there in the end.

You are welcome. A quick question: had you received your invitation letter prior to attending the ceremony and what was the date on it, if you can share?

LiverpoolYNWA
Newly Registered

Post by LiverpoolYNWA » Tue Nov 10, 2020 2:32 pm

mrduplicity wrote:
Tue Nov 10, 2020 2:16 pm
LiverpoolYNWA wrote:
Tue Nov 10, 2020 1:52 pm

Have you tried contacting the council to see if they have your sister's certificate?
Yeah, just emailed them to see if they have it, fingers crossed they do.

amazingneo
Newly Registered

Post by amazingneo » Tue Nov 10, 2020 2:41 pm

amazingneo wrote:
Mon Nov 09, 2020 4:56 pm
REDBRIDGE Council:

Approved: 1-Sep-2020
Invitation Letter Received: 5-Nov-2020 (date of letter: 27-Oct-2020)
Ceremony Booked for: 10-Nov-2020 (just received a call from them)

Good luck to me and all.

PS - Redbridge has plenty of slots available now for virtual ceremonies, and they are also conducting group ceremony (there was a slot available later this week but I have chosen virtual as it is tomorrow. Kind of lost all the enthu to go there and say the oath in person :-( )
Virtual ceremony done today. Certificate to arrive tomorrow.

Thank you everyone for help. Just following this forum help to deal with the frustration of never-ending wait times... I guess the information here on this forum is much more useful than HO customer service exec ever could provide :)

axeman85
Ghana

Post by axeman85 » Tue Nov 10, 2020 2:44 pm

baybars1 wrote:
Tue Nov 10, 2020 2:28 pm
axeman85 wrote:
Tue Nov 10, 2020 2:24 pm

You are welcome. A quick question: had you received your invitation letter prior to attending the ceremony and what was the date on it, if you can share?

I never got the letter.. just went with my approval email printed out.

Belle01
Newly Registered
Mood:

Post by Belle01 » Tue Nov 10, 2020 3:06 pm

Does anyone know how reliable the information from the citizenship support mailbox is? I have received the same generic response below twice today for 2 separate emails that I sent to them 2 months ago and 2 days ago. All received today simultaneously to the separate emails.

'Good Afternoon,

I refer to your application for British Citizenship and your email enquiry.

Upon investigation I can confirm that your citizenship ceremony documents have not yet been printed or despatched to the local authority. Your citizenship paperwork will be generated in coming weeks when current restrictions due to Coronavirus are eased.

In normal circumstances customers were required to book their citizenship ceremony within three months of being sent an invitation from the Home Office. Due to the current circumstances we have extended this period to six months. We will keep this under constant review. Please be assured that no adverse decisions will be made on your application because of delays caused by Coronavirus (unless there is a material change in your circumstances, for example, you are convicted of a criminal offence).

Kind regards

UKVI'

I wonder if they actually check or send this out in response to all emails? Because it will be shocking to hear that the documents will be printed off after the current restrictions when I have been waiting for 12 weeks now. Not sure how long after such an email anyone got their invitation/certificate?

lmannova

Post by lmannova » Tue Nov 10, 2020 3:21 pm

Belle01 wrote:
Tue Nov 10, 2020 3:06 pm
Does anyone know how reliable the information from the citizenship support mailbox is? I have received the same generic response below twice today for 2 separate emails that I sent to them 2 months ago and 2 days ago. All received today simultaneously to the separate emails.

'Good Afternoon,

I refer to your application for British Citizenship and your email enquiry.

Upon investigation I can confirm that your citizenship ceremony documents have not yet been printed or despatched to the local authority. Your citizenship paperwork will be generated in coming weeks when current restrictions due to Coronavirus are eased.

In normal circumstances customers were required to book their citizenship ceremony within three months of being sent an invitation from the Home Office. Due to the current circumstances we have extended this period to six months. We will keep this under constant review. Please be assured that no adverse decisions will be made on your application because of delays caused by Coronavirus (unless there is a material change in your circumstances, for example, you are convicted of a criminal offence).

Kind regards

UKVI'

I wonder if they actually check or send this out in response to all emails? Because it will be shocking to hear that the documents will be printed off after the current restrictions when I have been waiting for 12 weeks now. Not sure how long after such an email anyone got their invitation/certificate?
I got exactly the same template 2 weeks ago [email was sent in August]. I don't think they check it tbh.