ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Citizenship Ceremony cancelled due to Covid-19

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

CULLINAN
Respected Guru
Pakistan

Re: Citizenship Ceremony cancelled due to Covid-19

Post by CULLINAN » Sun Nov 15, 2020 1:07 pm

Yes I received my approval letter in post yesterday (dated 10th Nov). The wordings are as above latter case. 12 weeks wait is not mentioned.
I think the backlog has subsided. Ceremony invitations should be sent quicker now.
Personal opinion only, not to be mistaken for legal advice. Please DO NOT PM me for immigration advice. Love for All, Hatred for None.

Frou01
Member of Standing
Mood:
Finland

Post by Frou01 » Sun Nov 15, 2020 1:12 pm

Szrsrts wrote:
Sun Nov 15, 2020 1:03 pm
Hello people,

I recently emailed home office and obviously received a automated email. Strangely it is quite different than the previous one.

Before
When your application has been approved, your invitation will be sent when your Local Authority is in a position to host your ceremony and it may take up to 12 weeks for your ceremony invite to be sent.

Now
Whilst we will continue to work closely with our local authorities to expand the provision of citizenship ceremonies, including the expansion of availability of virtual ceremonies, due to the changing restrictions and guidance relating to COVID-19, it is not possible at this time to advise when a certificate will be despatched once an application has been approved.

So this means waiting time is not 12 weeks anymore longer than that?
I guess they have cleared a huge part of the backlog and it would be good news to newly approved applicant things moving forward.

However I hope they really look after people who have been approved since 6 months and haven’t heard anything yet too.

Szrsrts
Mood:

Post by Szrsrts » Sun Nov 15, 2020 3:17 pm

Frou01 wrote:
Sun Nov 15, 2020 1:12 pm
Szrsrts wrote:
Sun Nov 15, 2020 1:03 pm
Hello people,

I recently emailed home office and obviously received a automated email. Strangely it is quite different than the previous one.

Before
When your application has been approved, your invitation will be sent when your Local Authority is in a position to host your ceremony and it may take up to 12 weeks for your ceremony invite to be sent.

Now
Whilst we will continue to work closely with our local authorities to expand the provision of citizenship ceremonies, including the expansion of availability of virtual ceremonies, due to the changing restrictions and guidance relating to COVID-19, it is not possible at this time to advise when a certificate will be despatched once an application has been approved.

So this means waiting time is not 12 weeks anymore longer than that?
I guess they have cleared a huge part of the backlog and it would be good news to newly approved applicant things moving forward.

However I hope they really look after people who have been approved since 6 months and haven’t heard anything yet too.
Am 13 weeks already and still waiting. Same council late August ve September approvals already started to have their ceremonies which is really good.

en_ilegna
Newly Registered

Post by en_ilegna » Sun Nov 15, 2020 3:59 pm

Szrsrts wrote:
Sat Nov 14, 2020 11:49 am
en_ilegna wrote:
Sat Nov 14, 2020 11:27 am
Good to hear that some may/june approvals are starting to receive good news..looks like there is something happening with may/june approvals..as i have read in this thread, the HO is printing certificate according to approval dates but it seems some august and even september approvals have their certificate already..

@baybars1..any thought on this,.maybe you can shed some light..thanks..
Hello morning what is your time line? Thank you
application: nov 2019
approval: june 2020
still waiting for invitation letter/certificate

toombs
Newly Registered
Mood:
Poland

Post by toombs » Sun Nov 15, 2020 8:27 pm

Frou01 wrote:
Sun Nov 15, 2020 11:22 am
PJUKVIS wrote:
Sun Nov 15, 2020 8:01 am
Szrsrts wrote:
Fri Nov 13, 2020 1:47 pm
toombs wrote:
Fri Nov 13, 2020 1:37 pm
Nope...still nothing
19th of August approval here...Still waiting for the invitation letter(it will be 3 months on 19th of November). Contacted Bristol council on Thursday, I was told that they waiting for big batch and I was asked to call them back next week... :|: cry its like never-ending story...
15 th August here.. Still waiting.
Thanks to everyone updating us from Bristol. It’s useful to see other people’s timelines.

I’m Bristol Council too and still waiting. I was approved on 15th September.
Could anyone from Bristol tell me if they would go ahead with a ceremony when the certificate would be there, but not the invitation letter?
A friend is waiting in Bristol and we are wondering if they confirm next week they have received her certificate with that big batch (as August approval too) to go-ahead for the case the invitation letter still doesn’t come.
Hi, there I'm a Bristol council.
As far as I'm aware each time I call them to ask about my certificate I was told that in order to attend the ceremony I need to have my invitation letter. But that's me. Maybe call them just to be 100% sure.

Rabs

Post by Rabs » Mon Nov 16, 2020 12:32 am

CULLINAN wrote:
Sun Nov 15, 2020 1:07 pm
Yes I received my approval letter in post yesterday (dated 10th Nov). The wordings are as above latter case. 12 weeks wait is not mentioned.
I think the backlog has subsided. Ceremony invitations should be sent quicker now.
I also received my approval on the 12th of Nov & it didn't mention any 12 weeks wait, guess it's a little faster now.

Enigma-Machine
Newly Registered

Post by Enigma-Machine » Mon Nov 16, 2020 8:49 am

Mt1290 wrote:
Sat Nov 14, 2020 2:19 pm
Date applied :17 June 2020
Date of biometrics : 04 August 2020
Date of approval: 07 August 2020
Invitation letter dated : 02 November 2020
Invitation letter received : 11 November 2020
Citizenship ceremony : 17 November 2020!
Council : Westminister
Hi - Congrats for booking your Ceremony. How did you manage to book the ceremony with Westminster? Everytime I took to book on their website it always give an error saying no Ceremonies are available.

iwich
Newly Registered
Poland

Post by iwich » Mon Nov 16, 2020 8:51 am

Did anyone here had a private ceremony already ? I've booked mine and wanted to check what is the procedure you go through, anything to be mindful/aware of ?

ILR1980
Pakistan

Post by ILR1980 » Mon Nov 16, 2020 9:59 am

So my registras just booked a cermony for me within 3 days without me recieving any invitation letter. They are asking to bring two things 1) photographic ID and 2) Home Office letter confirming my citizenship has been accepted

So basically its free private cermony with only me , Superintendent Registrar and photographer if required

CULLINAN
Respected Guru
Pakistan

Post by CULLINAN » Mon Nov 16, 2020 10:07 am

ILR1980 wrote:
Mon Nov 16, 2020 9:59 am
So my registras just booked a cermony for me within 3 days without me recieving any invitation letter. They are asking to bring two things 1) photographic ID and 2) Home Office letter confirming my citizenship has been accepted

So basically its free private cermony with only me , Superintendent Registrar and photographer if required
What date were you approved? What is your council if you do not mind sharing?
Personal opinion only, not to be mistaken for legal advice. Please DO NOT PM me for immigration advice. Love for All, Hatred for None.

ILR1980
Pakistan

Post by ILR1980 » Mon Nov 16, 2020 10:15 am

CULLINAN wrote:
Mon Nov 16, 2020 10:07 am
ILR1980 wrote:
Mon Nov 16, 2020 9:59 am

What date were you approved? What is your council if you do not mind sharing?
Council is Southampton ,Hampshire
Date of application:, 28July 2020
BIOMETRIC ENROLMENT : 12 August 2020
Decision email with Approval : 18August 2020
Letter received from local registrars (asking to book ceremony with them) : 14 Nov 2020

Ceremony booking confirmation and attached letter with date /time and instruction on it recieved today morninv on 16th via email so having ceremony on wednesday

CULLINAN
Respected Guru
Pakistan

Post by CULLINAN » Mon Nov 16, 2020 10:20 am

Thank you

LiverpoolYNWA
Newly Registered

Post by LiverpoolYNWA » Mon Nov 16, 2020 12:35 pm

LiverpoolYNWA wrote:
Tue Nov 10, 2020 1:49 pm
Good news and bad news.

Today, I received a letter from the council saying they got my my certificate and told me to attend on the 22nd of November.
Bad news is I still haven't received the invitation letter.

Council - Liverpool City.
Application date - August 2019
Approved - 5 August 2020
Invitation letter - Not received.
Ceremony date - 22nd of November.
Just an update:

Last week, I called the council and they said I can attend the ceremony without an invitation letter.

However, today I received the invitation letter, it's dated 22nd of October. So it took over 3 weeks for letter to arrive.

Timeline again:

Applied - August 2019
Approved - 05 August 2020
Council letter asking to attend the ceremony - 10 Nov (dated 8 Nov).
Invitation letter - received 15 Nov (dated 22 October).
Council: Liverpool City
Ceremony date: 22nd of November

I would like to thank Baybars and the moderators.

otuel
Poland

Post by otuel » Mon Nov 16, 2020 12:47 pm

Hi,
First of all, thank you for this forum and thank you everyone who contributes.

My wife and I became a British citizens.

Final timelines:
Application: 2nd of April 2020
Biometrics: 10th of July 2020
Approval email: 9th of October 2020 (dated 22nd of July 2020 - I contacted HO on 2nd of October 2020 as we did not get any update for 6 months)
Invitation letter: 5th of November 2020 (dated 18th of October 2020)
Private ceremony (Bristol, £140 fee each): 16th of November 2020

I think Bristol City Council requires an invitation letter to attend the ceremony. Someone from this forum done it without the letter, but it was some time ago. They told me on the phone that I have to produce an invitation letter to get a ceremony.

Thank you again and good luck everyone!

otuel

Itabra
Newly Registered

Post by Itabra » Mon Nov 16, 2020 1:08 pm

Szrsrts wrote:
Thu Nov 12, 2020 11:55 am
Itabra wrote:
Thu Nov 12, 2020 11:29 am
Szrsrts wrote:
Thu Nov 12, 2020 10:03 am
Itabra wrote:
Thu Nov 12, 2020 9:54 am

Hi 1lexD
is KCC Maidstone Council?
My wife has been approved on the 17 of August but not letter received yet.
Hello good morning. I was approved on the 15 th August haven't received either. Did you get in touch with council?
I tried to call them at the number provided on their website but after ringing for a minute they hang up.
It is not they hang up they never answer. Best way to contact with them is email.
Today arrived the letter form HO dated 9Nov!
It says to get in touch with KENT Council within 21day of the day of the letter.
Tried to call them at the number in the HO letter (that is the same in he KCC website) but no answer from the KCC. I will send an email.
Letter from KCC not received yet.I hope it will arrive this week. But what if it doesn't and they don't answer to phone/email?

Anyone else with KCC can share their experience?

tks

Frou01
Member of Standing
Mood:
Finland

Post by Frou01 » Mon Nov 16, 2020 1:12 pm

I’m so happy to say, my invitation letter has arrived now.

Dated 5th November.

I have been approved 10 August.

My certificate has arrived last week with my council and I have already booked a ceremony for beginning December.
However as my last piece of puzzle is now completed I can book a private ceremony and will make up my mind if I will book the sooner appointment offered by my Registry Office.

Dear everyone, thank you for all support and patience.

I will be around as I truly hope you all have your good news soon.

Bless x

Szrsrts
Mood:

Post by Szrsrts » Mon Nov 16, 2020 1:21 pm

Itabra wrote:
Mon Nov 16, 2020 1:08 pm
Szrsrts wrote:
Thu Nov 12, 2020 11:55 am
Itabra wrote:
Thu Nov 12, 2020 11:29 am
Szrsrts wrote:
Thu Nov 12, 2020 10:03 am

Hello good morning. I was approved on the 15 th August haven't received either. Did you get in touch with council?
I tried to call them at the number provided on their website but after ringing for a minute they hang up.
It is not they hang up they never answer. Best way to contact with them is email.
Today arrived the letter form HO dated 9Nov!
It says to get in touch with KENT Council within 21day of the day of the letter.
Tried to call them at the number in the HO letter (that is the same in he KCC website) but no answer from the KCC. I will send an email.
Letter from KCC not received yet.I hope it will arrive this week. But what if it doesn't and they don't answer to phone/email?

Anyone else with KCC can share their experience?

tks
Hello strange I was approved on the 15 th August haven't received anything yet. You can only contact with them via email by the way.

londuk1
Mood:
Greece

Post by londuk1 » Mon Nov 16, 2020 1:54 pm

Frou01 wrote:
Mon Nov 16, 2020 1:12 pm

Dated 5th November.

My certificate has arrived last week with my council and I have already booked a ceremony for beginning December.
However as my last piece of puzzle is now completed I can book a private ceremony and will make up my mind if I will book the sooner appointment offered by my Registry Office.

Bless x
Lucky you, I am still waiting and my council keep insisting that I need the letter to book a ceremony even though they already have my certificate. Congratulations

Frou01
Member of Standing
Mood:
Finland

Post by Frou01 » Mon Nov 16, 2020 2:04 pm

londuk1 wrote:
Mon Nov 16, 2020 1:54 pm
Frou01 wrote:

Dated 5th November.

Bless x
Lucky you, I am still waiting and my council keep insisting that I need the letter to book a ceremony even though they already have my certificate. Congratulations
Thank you :)

Did your council confirm today the certificate has arrived?

baybars1

Post by baybars1 » Mon Nov 16, 2020 2:06 pm

Frou01 wrote:

Dated 5th November.

Bless x
Congratulations! You should have your British passport done this side of Christmas, so you can leave that ordeal firmly behind you in 2020.

Frou01
Member of Standing
Mood:
Finland

Post by Frou01 » Mon Nov 16, 2020 2:11 pm

baybars1 wrote:
Mon Nov 16, 2020 2:06 pm
Frou01 wrote:

Dated 5th November.

Bless x
Congratulations! You should have your British passport done this side of Christmas, so you can leave that ordeal firmly behind you in 2020.
Thank you. That would be nice. :)

Dear Baybars1, many thanks for your wonderful support and patience. It’s so much appreciated.

baybars1

Post by baybars1 » Mon Nov 16, 2020 2:12 pm

Frou01 wrote:
Mon Nov 16, 2020 2:11 pm
Thank you. That would be nice. :)

Dear Baybars1, many thanks for your wonderful support and patience. It’s so much appreciated.
You are most welcome :)

VulgarisMagistralis
Newly Registered
Italy

Post by VulgarisMagistralis » Mon Nov 16, 2020 2:19 pm

lasolas wrote:
Fri Nov 13, 2020 5:47 pm
VulgarisMagistralis wrote:
Fri Nov 13, 2020 11:38 am
I just received an email from Hammersmith and Fulham council. This is what it says (without names):
Dear [VulgarisMagistralis]

I would like to inform you we have now received your certificate. This means you can now be booked in for a ceremony, we are offering both group and private. If you could please provide us with your contact number and we will call you to discuss booking you in for a ceremony.

Kind regards,

[Bubbles]

Registration officer

Registrars

Hammersmith & Fulham Council

020 8753 2140

registeroffice@lbhf.gov.uk

www.lbhf.gov.uk/registrars
My approval letter was sent on the 13/08/2020 via email. I did not receive a ceremony letter yet. It took exactly 3 months.
Hi,

My borough is also F&H. Although my husband and I received our approval recently, 2nd Nov I am fully aware that we still have a long way to go given the current situation. Just curious - did they email you straightaway or did you have to contact/chase them prior to their email update on having your certificate?
Hello,

I did chase them previously (sent 4 emails). I am not sure whether that made any difference. It seems to me that they proactively call the people whose certificate arrived. But that's only conjecture.

VulgarisMagistralis
Newly Registered
Italy

Post by VulgarisMagistralis » Mon Nov 16, 2020 2:22 pm

Ok, final report for my process:

Council ....................................... Hammersmith and Fulham
Date biometrics enrolled ...................... 01/08/2020
Date on Approval letter ....................... 13/08/2020
Date of receipt of approval letter ............ 13/08/2020 (email)
Date of receipt of certificate ................ 13/11/2020
Date of receipt of ceremony invitation letter . 16/11/2020
Date on ceremony invitation letter ............ 07/11/2020
Date of Ceremony .............................. 25/11/2020

My ceremony will be a group ceremony, 5 people limit. There is no possibility to invite anyone in both private and group ceremonies (thus I opted for the group flavour.)

I'll meet you good people in the passport thread next! Good luck everyone!

dragon098
Mood:

Post by dragon098 » Mon Nov 16, 2020 2:33 pm

londuk1 wrote:
Sat Nov 14, 2020 3:04 pm

oh my god you are right.
I just searched on Wandsworth council online ceremony booking system with my approval letter reference number and they got my certificate. woohoo
So my invitation letter should be on the way to me this week.
Hi Londuk1, I am from Wandsworth council too, Could you please tell me when you go to Wandsworth council page "Please enter your home office reference" This is the reference number that is within our approval email isn't it. And please do update your status. Good Luck