ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Citizenship Ceremony cancelled due to Covid-19

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

Rabs

Re: Citizenship Ceremony cancelled due to Covid-19

Post by Rabs » Tue Nov 17, 2020 11:02 pm

Kadey123 wrote:
Tue Nov 17, 2020 1:24 pm
Kadey123 wrote:
Thu Nov 12, 2020 6:56 pm
Szrsrts wrote:
Thu Nov 12, 2020 6:50 pm
Kadey123 wrote:
Thu Nov 12, 2020 6:47 pm
I have been a silent reader for over 7months and I thought I’d share my boyfriends timeline as I helped him through the process and also came across this page. Thank you Baybars for giving hope in a time that is so difficult to find it in. To help those approved mid August - I called the Home office yesterday to find out what was going on as I had seen some September approvals had received invitations. I spoke to a kind lady named Helen who advised the Home Office are working and printing letters and they are currently dealing with August Approvals, in which she added “the wait should be too long now” which gave me some hope for my partners documents/ letter to be received.

My boyfriend emailed our local council two weeks ago who said Home Office was sending big batches every two weeks but his documents were not there. he then emailed his caseworker who was a very nice lady who called him and said not to worry and don’t let it affect your mental health and that the citizenship team were printing letter and he should receive it soon but it’s just taking awhile. We waited two weeks and emailed the local council again yesterday after seeing some Mid august people received invitation letters and we received a response back 3:51pm saying they had good news and that his paperwork was received today in the batch and they have booked him in for a ceremony on 24th November 2020@ 5pm - so it all worked out in the end. however I must note we have not yet received the Home office invitation but I suppose we will just bring the approval letter his passport and extra ID to prove as the confirmation email does say we have to bring the invitation letter but we are scared to ask incase they cancel the ceremony and we are so close to the end of the process- Has any one attended without an invitation letter especially Havering Council( which is our local council). I hope this provides some comfort for those waiting and I hope you all get your invitation letters and certificates soon and I will also keep you updated. Please see below for timeline.

Date of application: 04/04/2020
Date of receipt of approval: 17/08/2020(email)
Date on Approval letter: 17/08/2020
Date of receipt of ceremony letter: Not yet received from HO but my local council (Havering) received my certificate 12/11/2020 and emailed me to book a ceremony.
Date of Ceremony: 24/11/2020

Good luck to you all and I am so great full for this thread as it has helped me and my partner through these uncertain times to keep hope throughout this whole process. I hope you all soon receive your invitation letters and certificates and can apply for you British passport.

Have a lovely day
Hi quick question where do you find caseworker email? Thank you
My caseworker emailed me directly throughout my application to ask questions so maybe check if you saw anything in your emails from an actual caseworker. He was lucky he got a lovely lady who updated him and and also called him and told him to check his emails cause he was panicking and the approval letter was there and when he recently emailed last week she called him and told him not to panic they are clearing thi backlog and some people approved later in the year may revive it before but not too worry as you would receive it this year . So stay strong everyone you will all get there, I totally understand the frustration as I was frustrated for him and came acros this thread and realised there were worse situations than his and he is quite lucky in his process and Havering is white helpful aswell they would email us to say whether they received it yet or not. So yeah
Hi all,

Good news today the post my just delivered my boyfriends Brown envelope.. the council had already booked him in for a ceremony without invitation letter but its great to have actually finally received it- please see below for final update:

Date of application: 04/04/2020
Date of receipt of approval: 17/08/2020(email)
Date on Approval letter: 17/08/2020
Date of receipt of ceremony letter@ Council: (Havering) received my certificate 12/11/2020 and emailed me to book a ceremony
Date of receipt of ceremony letter: 17.11.2020 exactly 12 weeks from the date he was approved.LITERALLY
Date on the ceremony invitation was:09.11,2020 which means they are printing, have hope my lovely people
Date of Ceremony: 24/11/2020

Based on @Baybars1 timeline - my partners came within his created timeline- so thank you for giving us all hope throughout these dark times. You really are heaven sent.

I am happy he can finally become British and I can attempt to somewhat have a holiday in the nearby future as we haven’t travelled for ages due to this application.

Good luck to you all and I am so great full for this thread as it has helped me and my partner through these uncertain times to keep hope throughout this whole process. I hope you all soon receive your invitation letters and certificates and can apply for you British passport. Xx
Congrats Kadey!!
The Registrar @ havering Council is very efficient and helpful. She booked my partner for the ceremony the very day we got the invitation letter and contacted her via email.

Misty1
South Africa

Post by Misty1 » Wed Nov 18, 2020 9:27 am

Gillji wrote:
Tue Nov 17, 2020 10:45 pm
Hi All
Any one from October approved got the invitation yet?
As I heard some October approved people got their invitations straight way
Is that true?
Any one have any information and share here would be appreciated
Thanks in advance to all
And wishing every one good luck on this platform

Hi,
I was approved on 6th Oct. My approval email still referenced the 12 week waiting period & so far I’ve not had any invitation. Not expecting one till at least mid December...
If there is any truth in that, it might be late October approvals.

Baba_Ge
Newly Registered
Pakistan

Post by Baba_Ge » Wed Nov 18, 2020 10:12 am

Misty1 wrote:
Wed Nov 18, 2020 9:27 am
Gillji wrote:
Tue Nov 17, 2020 10:45 pm
Hi All
Any one from October approved got the invitation yet?
As I heard some October approved people got their invitations straight way
Is that true?
Any one have any information and share here would be appreciated
Thanks in advance to all
And wishing every one good luck on this platform

Hi,
I was approved on 6th Oct. My approval email still referenced the 12 week waiting period & so far I’ve not had any invitation. Not expecting one till at least mid December...
If there is any truth in that, it might be late October approvals.
I recon, that's not true even for the late October ones. I was approved in the last week of October and didn't hear anything since then, apart from the approval email itself. Fingers crossed....

Hold tight, sooner or later, we all would get it :)

British_Man2020
Newly Registered
Mood:
Nigeria

Post by British_Man2020 » Wed Nov 18, 2020 10:37 am

Hi All,

Anyone else from Royal Borough of Windsor and Maidenhead who has had any joy with Citizenship ceremonies?

I got my approval on 07th August, still no invitation letters for the ceremony yet. Calling the HO has been a maze and eventually when I get through, the are super unhelpful to provide any sensible updates.

Frustrating now to keep waiting endlessly.

1lexD
Newly Registered

Post by 1lexD » Wed Nov 18, 2020 11:05 am

mrmo93 wrote:
Tue Nov 17, 2020 7:10 pm
1lexD wrote:
Tue Nov 17, 2020 5:29 pm
Szrsrts wrote:
Tue Nov 17, 2020 11:25 am
Hello good morning folks,

Has anyone managed to book a ceremony with KCC Maidstone? Thank you.
Hello,

I was booked by KCC ceremony team for group ceremony limited to 20 people the coming Fridays 10am. I doubt this is the only one for the day. Also someone mentioned he (or she) has been booked for the coming Monday, which means they are conducting the ceremonies more than ones a week. I hope that helps.
Congrats :), when was your approval I am in the same county but I got approved october 12th.
Hello,

On 24th July

awaismalik1234
Newly Registered
Pakistan

Post by awaismalik1234 » Wed Nov 18, 2020 11:16 am

hello
anyone from slough? i have got the invitation letter but no one pick up the phone at slough. is there any email address i can email them ??
thanks

mrmo93
Mood:
Sweden

Post by mrmo93 » Wed Nov 18, 2020 11:22 am

1lexD wrote:
Wed Nov 18, 2020 11:05 am
mrmo93 wrote:
Tue Nov 17, 2020 7:10 pm
1lexD wrote:
Tue Nov 17, 2020 5:29 pm
Szrsrts wrote:
Tue Nov 17, 2020 11:25 am
Hello good morning folks,

Has anyone managed to book a ceremony with KCC Maidstone? Thank you.
Hello,

I was booked by KCC ceremony team for group ceremony limited to 20 people the coming Fridays 10am. I doubt this is the only one for the day. Also someone mentioned he (or she) has been booked for the coming Monday, which means they are conducting the ceremonies more than ones a week. I hope that helps.
Congrats :), when was your approval I am in the same county but I got approved october 12th.
Hello,

On 24th July
Wow congrats!

jasmine89

Help please

Post by jasmine89 » Wed Nov 18, 2020 12:49 pm

My husbands sister sadly got diagnosed with cancer yesterday her treatment will start on the 26th and my husband would like to visit her once the lockdown is finished. It has been 5 weeks since we got the approval email. Is there anyone we can email or call so that they can look into sending the certificate in compassion grounds? If someone can please share an email address or phone number. There is a caseworker email address in the email we got but it says to only email that if we got the email by mistake. Any guidance will be really appreciated

Kamipu
Newly Registered
Uzbekistan

Post by Kamipu » Wed Nov 18, 2020 12:58 pm

Hi all,

Just now received my Ceremony invitation letter and I already manage to book the group ceremony with Newham council for the date of 1st December. (thought will do straight private ceremony as it will make things faster, the earliest date was 14th January. Then I checked group ceremonies and it was available 20th November, and 4 days week after and 30th November, too). So now so happy and waiting for my ceremony, it was written that it will take place in Newham Registry Office, so seems like they are not providing the online ceremonies, and still ceremonies are taking place during the lockdown. Letter states that I have to contact my council within 21 day, but from the date on letter it passed already 22 day, still managed to book.

Will write my timeline here:

Date of application: 5 August 2020
Date of biometrics:19 August 2020
Decision email: 2 September 2020
Letter date: 27 October 2020
Letter received: (I have a redirection as moved out recently from my council) 18 November 2020

CULLINAN
Respected Guru
Pakistan

Re: Help please

Post by CULLINAN » Wed Nov 18, 2020 1:07 pm

jasmine89 wrote:
Wed Nov 18, 2020 12:49 pm
My husbands sister sadly got diagnosed with cancer yesterday her treatment will start on the 26th and my husband would like to visit her once the lockdown is finished. It has been 5 weeks since we got the approval email. Is there anyone we can email or call so that they can look into sending the certificate in compassion grounds? If someone can please share an email address or phone number. There is a caseworker email address in the email we got but it says to only email that if we got the email by mistake. Any guidance will be really appreciated
Sorry to hear. Why can not your husband travel on home country’s passport?
Personal opinion only, not to be mistaken for legal advice. Please DO NOT PM me for immigration advice. Love for All, Hatred for None.

jasmine89

Post by jasmine89 » Wed Nov 18, 2020 1:31 pm

CULLINAN wrote:
Wed Nov 18, 2020 1:07 pm
jasmine89 wrote:
His passport has now expired. Not sure how long it will take to renew

coolrockspart2
India

Post by coolrockspart2 » Wed Nov 18, 2020 1:44 pm

jasmine89 wrote:
Wed Nov 18, 2020 1:31 pm
CULLINAN wrote:
jasmine89 wrote:
Sorry to hear that.

I did emailed caseworker(email address in the decision email we got which says to only email that if we got the email by mistake) and also mentioned the caseworker's name in the email.

Caseworker did replied to me next day stating my certificate is not dispatched yet and due to covid they can't do much. But it also said that if I can submit evidence of my urgency then they will consider it but there is no guarantee.

My situation is my Indian passport is expired(can't get an appointment to renew) and my employer is demanding a valid passport else will loose the job.

Hope that helps you.

CULLINAN
Respected Guru
Pakistan

Post by CULLINAN » Wed Nov 18, 2020 1:47 pm

jasmine89 wrote:
CULLINAN wrote:
jasmine89 wrote:
Sorry to say but that is not a valid reason. It will probably take less time till your husband attends the ceremony or gets British passport. He can always travel on ILR before attending the ceremony. Ceremony can be attended up to 6 months after invitation. But you can always try. In my opinion, it will be a weak case for expedition.
Personal opinion only, not to be mistaken for legal advice. Please DO NOT PM me for immigration advice. Love for All, Hatred for None.

coolrockspart2
India

Post by coolrockspart2 » Wed Nov 18, 2020 1:53 pm

CULLINAN wrote:
Wed Nov 18, 2020 1:47 pm
jasmine89 wrote:
CULLINAN wrote:
jasmine89 wrote:
Sorry to say but that is not a valid reason. It will probably take less time till your husband attends the ceremony or gets British passport. He can always travel on ILR before attending the ceremony. Ceremony can be attended up to 6 months after invitation. But you can always try. In my opinion, it will be a weak case for expedition.
Apologies not sure how he can travel if the passport is expired ? Also renewals are sometimes not quicker but will depend on the embassy where you are applying.
But yeah you are right getting the invitation letter then doing ceremony and then getting passport will also be not quicker.

May be try to renew the passport in urgently(by letting the embassy know your current situation)

CULLINAN
Respected Guru
Pakistan

Post by CULLINAN » Wed Nov 18, 2020 1:55 pm

He needs a valid home country’s passport to travel not necessarily BP. So, in my opinion this is a weak case for expedition. Probably BP will take longer than renewing home country’s passport.

Sob7
Newly Registered

Post by Sob7 » Wed Nov 18, 2020 2:21 pm

Hi all, just to give some hope to others I just had my ceremony today 18/11/20 private ceremony for £150 Hackney council; they are also doing £160 virtual. I was booked in for 2/12/20 for group but decided not to take the risk and get it over and done with. I was approved on 13th August 2020 invitation letter came 16th November dated 5th November. Hackney do not allow you to have ceremony without invitation. Thanks to all those who post and Good Luck to the rest who are waiting God bless.

fanta

Post by fanta » Wed Nov 18, 2020 2:22 pm

[quote=coolrockspart2 post_id=1961906 time=1605707637 user_id=237520]
[quote=CULLINAN post_id=1961901 time=1605707224 user_id=179089]
[quote=jasmine89 post_id=1961889 time=1605706277 user_id=157555]
[quote=CULLINAN post_id=1961874 time=1605704826 user_id=179089]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]
Apologies not sure how he can travel if the passport is expired ? Also renewals are sometimes not quicker but will depend on the embassy where you are applying.
But yeah you are right getting the invitation letter then doing ceremony and then getting passport will also be not quicker.

May be try to renew the passport in urgently(by letting the embassy know your current situation)
[/quote]

I guess you are from India. Please remember that once you get BP, you will need to apply for a tourist visa to visit India and currently they aren't offering it due to coronavirus.

baybars1

Post by baybars1 » Wed Nov 18, 2020 2:35 pm

jasmine89 wrote:
Sorry to hear about that. As for the ideas about expediting the process, it may be prudent to have a written confirmation from the embassy of the original home country, i.e. that state that had issued the now expired passport, that they cannot procure an emergency travel document for your husband, even on compassionate grounds, also indicating the minimum wait time for the document.

That confirmation can then be included as supporting evidence.

Otherwise, the request may likely be ignored.

Incidentally, in normal times, your request would have met a positive response. For example, I wrote to seek expedition of my application approval for a fairly weak reason, that being slightly more convenient business travel on the British Passport (visa on arrival versus visa in advance), back in October 2010 and the caseworker called me up within a day of receipt of the request on the mobile number I provided in the letter to advise that my application had been approved and that the invitation letter was already on my way. Although my request ended up being totally redundant, it was a very nice touch to receive a phone call confirming that all was good.

However, those were the days when the entire cumulative timeline, from sending your naturalisation application by post to having your British Passport delivered to you was under 40 days. But this is not that time, which is why I would strongly suggest backing any request with so much evidence showing that there is no other solution as possible.

grosvenorave
Newly Registered

Post by grosvenorave » Wed Nov 18, 2020 3:34 pm

I finally received my ceremony invitation letter from my council (Islington) yesterday, and was lucky to be able to book the ceremony for today. I was yet to receive the Home Office invitation letter but in the end I didn’t need it. I wish everyone here the best.

For reference my dates are below:

Application date: 27 April 2020
Biometrics (via app): 5 September 2020
Approval email: 11 September 2020
Ceremony invite letter: 12 November 2020
Ceremony: 18 November 2020

triiishiii
Newly Registered

Post by triiishiii » Wed Nov 18, 2020 4:26 pm

TheTraveller wrote:
Sat Nov 14, 2020 12:36 am
Application submitted January 2020
Application approved July 2020
Invitation received November 2020
Ceremony completed today and finally I’m a British Citizen 😃 Happy and glorious 😇
Congratulations!!! I am waiting from Kingston to book me in. Hoping it’s soon.

imz2020
Newly Registered
Brazil

Post by imz2020 » Wed Nov 18, 2020 4:53 pm

Hi All,
Has anyone with October approval received their ceremony letter yet?

Thanks

naruto
Malta

Post by naruto » Wed Nov 18, 2020 5:13 pm

imz2020 wrote:
Wed Nov 18, 2020 4:53 pm
Hi All,
Has anyone with October approval received their ceremony letter yet?

Thanks

Nothing yet.... applied on 28-07-2020 and I was approved on 23-10-2020 and still nothing yet
Fingers crossed for everyone who’s waiting
LaDolceVita

Yurek
Newly Registered
Poland

Post by Yurek » Wed Nov 18, 2020 5:26 pm

awaismalik1234 wrote:
Wed Nov 18, 2020 11:16 am
hello
anyone from slough? i have got the invitation letter but no one pick up the phone at slough. is there any email address i can email them ??
thanks
Hello.

I hadn’t received an invitation from HO yet, however I rang Slough council last week and was told they’d contact me when they’re ready to host the ceremony :roll:
I’m still waiting for the invitation from HO though. When did you receive your approval email?

Home126
Newly Registered
Australia

Post by Home126 » Wed Nov 18, 2020 5:36 pm

Hi,

Anyone with 21st August approval received their ceremony letter yet. Havering Council

ocean7
Mood:
Pakistan

Post by ocean7 » Wed Nov 18, 2020 6:13 pm

Hi,

I have got approval email on 3rd November, according to @baybars model when will I get my invitation letter? That model should be pinned on top of this page.

Thanks