ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Dependant not eligible for ILR on application

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé/e | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

anda
Newly Registered
New Zealand

Extending spouse visa

Post by anda » Wed Jan 08, 2020 10:58 am

Hi all,

I am going from an ancestry visa to ILR, however my spouse who is my dependent has not been in the UK for 5 years.

1. Do I extend her current visa or do I have to apply for a new dependent visa?

2. Is this done on my ILR application or through her dependent application?

Many thanks

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Extending spouse visa

Post by CR001 » Wed Jan 08, 2020 11:09 am

How long has your spouse been in the UK as Ancestry Dependent?

Ancestry dependents can usually apply for ILR when the main Ancestry visa holder does. There is no 5 year residence requirement in the Immigration Rules for dependents in this visa category, see Para 196D in the link below.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/immigration ... -in-the-uk
Requirements for indefinite leave to remain for the partner of a person who has or has had leave to enter or remain in the United Kingdom under paragraphs 128-193 (but not paragraphs 135I-135K)
196D. The requirements to be met by a person seeking indefinite leave to remain in the United Kingdom as the partner of a person who has or has had leave to enter or remain in the United Kingdom under paragraphs 128-193 (but not paragraphs 135I-135K) are that the applicant:
(i) is the spouse, civil partner, unmarried or same-sex partner of a person who:
(1) has limited leave to enter or remain in the United Kingdom under paragraphs 128-193 (but not paragraphs 135I-135K) and who is being granted indefinite leave to remain at the same time; or
(2) is the spouse, civil partner, unmarried or same-sex partner of a person who has indefinite leave to remain in the United Kingdom or has become a British citizen, and who had limited leave to enter or remain in the United Kingdom under paragraphs 128-193 (but not paragraphs 135I-135K) immediately before being granted indefinite leave to remain; and
(ii) meets the requirements of paragraph 194(ii) - (vii); and
(iii) has demonstrated sufficient knowledge of the English language and sufficient knowledge about life in the United Kingdom, in accordance with Appendix KoLL; and
(iv) was not last granted:
(1) entry clearance or leave to enter as a visitor, short-term student or short-term student (child),
(2) temporary admission,
(3) temporary release, or
(4) after the date on which paragraph 1 of Schedule 10 to the Immigration Act 2016 is commenced, immigration bail in circumstances in which temporary admission or temporary release would previously have been granted; and
(v) must not be in the UK in breach of immigration laws except that, where paragraph 39E of these Rules applies, any current period of overstaying will be disregarded.
Indefinite leave to remain as the partner of a person who has or has had leave to enter or remain in the United Kingdom under paragraphs 128-193 (but not paragraphs 135I-135K)
196E.Indefinite leave to remain in the United Kingdom as the partner of a person who has or has had leave to enter or remain in the United Kingdom under paragraphs 128-193 (but not paragraphs 135I-135K) may be granted provided the Secretary of State is satisfied that each of the requirements of paragraph 196D is met.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

anda
Newly Registered
New Zealand

Dependant not eligible for ILR on application

Post by anda » Tue Nov 24, 2020 2:10 pm

I am applying for ILR after 5 years of ancestry visa. I have a dependent (spouse) on my ancestry visa who is not eligible for ILR (less than 5 years), but is living in the UK on my visa as a dependent. Is my spouse a dependent to my ILR application despite the fact she is not eligible for ILR? If so, what will this give her? 2.5 years or more? And if she isn't a dependent for ILR, how should she apply for a dependent visa given my visa will no longer be valid?

Thank you

secret.simon

Re: Dependant not eligible for ILR on application

Post by secret.simon » Tue Nov 24, 2020 2:50 pm

@CR001 responded to your post earlier in the year. Do respond to her queries for us to guide you further.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

anda
Newly Registered
New Zealand

Re: Extending spouse visa

Post by anda » Tue Nov 24, 2020 3:46 pm

CR001 wrote:
Wed Jan 08, 2020 11:09 am
How long has your spouse been in the UK as Ancestry Dependent?

Ancestry dependents can usually apply for ILR when the main Ancestry visa holder does. There is no 5 year residence requirement in the Immigration Rules for dependents in this visa category, see Para 196D in the link below.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/immigration ... -in-the-uk
Requirements for indefinite leave to remain for the partner of a person who has or has had leave to enter or remain in the United Kingdom under paragraphs 128-193 (but not paragraphs 135I-135K)
196D. The requirements to be met by a person seeking indefinite leave to remain in the United Kingdom as the partner of a person who has or has had leave to enter or remain in the United Kingdom under paragraphs 128-193 (but not paragraphs 135I-135K) are that the applicant:
(i) is the spouse, civil partner, unmarried or same-sex partner of a person who:
(1) has limited leave to enter or remain in the United Kingdom under paragraphs 128-193 (but not paragraphs 135I-135K) and who is being granted indefinite leave to remain at the same time; or
(2) is the spouse, civil partner, unmarried or same-sex partner of a person who has indefinite leave to remain in the United Kingdom or has become a British citizen, and who had limited leave to enter or remain in the United Kingdom under paragraphs 128-193 (but not paragraphs 135I-135K) immediately before being granted indefinite leave to remain; and
(ii) meets the requirements of paragraph 194(ii) - (vii); and
(iii) has demonstrated sufficient knowledge of the English language and sufficient knowledge about life in the United Kingdom, in accordance with Appendix KoLL; and
(iv) was not last granted:
(1) entry clearance or leave to enter as a visitor, short-term student or short-term student (child),
(2) temporary admission,
(3) temporary release, or
(4) after the date on which paragraph 1 of Schedule 10 to the Immigration Act 2016 is commenced, immigration bail in circumstances in which temporary admission or temporary release would previously have been granted; and
(v) must not be in the UK in breach of immigration laws except that, where paragraph 39E of these Rules applies, any current period of overstaying will be disregarded.
Indefinite leave to remain as the partner of a person who has or has had leave to enter or remain in the United Kingdom under paragraphs 128-193 (but not paragraphs 135I-135K)
196E.Indefinite leave to remain in the United Kingdom as the partner of a person who has or has had leave to enter or remain in the United Kingdom under paragraphs 128-193 (but not paragraphs 135I-135K) may be granted provided the Secretary of State is satisfied that each of the requirements of paragraph 196D is met.
Just over 1 year and previously in the UK for just over 1 year on a student visa. My assumption (and the home office telephone advisors) is that as she is not eligible for ILR that she will need to apply for a dependent visa then apply for ILR once she has reached 5 years continuous residence. Though it seems possible that this is wrong.

vinny

Post by vinny » Tue Nov 24, 2020 4:13 pm

Did you read CR001’s quote of the immigration rules?
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

anda
Newly Registered
New Zealand

Post by anda » Tue Nov 24, 2020 4:16 pm

I replied to her question.

vinny

Post by vinny » Tue Nov 24, 2020 4:21 pm

There is no qualifying period for ancestry dependants. They may apply for ILR at the same time as when the ancestry holder applies for ILR, subject to 196D, 196E. KoLL, etc., required.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.