ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

EUSS Residence Card

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

not_Lara
Newly Registered
South Africa

Travelling with an EEA Residence Card after Brexit

Post by not_Lara » Thu Nov 05, 2020 6:02 pm

Hello,

I have been issued with a BRC as the durable partner of an EU citizen. I have read that once I've used the BRC to successfully apply to the EUSS that the BRC will be valid until its expiry date (expiry date on my card is 21/06/20). However, I was wondering whether this 'validity' means that I can use it to re-enter the UK after Brexit (when travelling) - but before its expiry date - or if I first have to update it to an EUSS card in order to leave and re-enter the UK after Brexit?

Zerubbabel
Respected Guru
Mood:

Re: Travelling with an EEA Residence Card after Brexit

Post by Zerubbabel » Thu Nov 05, 2020 8:10 pm

I would love to be proven wrong.

What I read is that EEA cards issued by the UK are no longer valid after Dec 31, 2020 no matter what date is printed on them.

It means, if you are outside the UK with that card in January, you need to apply for a permit to come back. This involves filling an application, providing documents and submitting biometrics.

I have seen some of these cards valid until 2028 but these limits don't stand after Dec 31st, 2020.

Now if someone comes is and said that they will still allow to return to the UK even after the transition period, I will be more than grateful.

not_Lara
Newly Registered
South Africa

Post by not_Lara » Fri Nov 06, 2020 12:39 pm

Hello,
In one post Kamoe says the following "If used to successfully apply for the Settlement Scheme, a EEA BRC will be valid until is printed expiration date, NOT December 31st 2020. Since the status granted though the Settlement scheme will be valid after that expiration date, people are invited to tranfer their cards onto new EUSS BRCs. Biometrics for that are free."

This is the link to that post: eea-route-applications/eea-brc-will-be- ... 98017.html

So I guess my question is whether or not I still have to exchange my EEA BRC to a EUSS BRC in order to travel post Brexit even though I've successfully applied to the EUSS?

kamoe

Post by kamoe » Fri Nov 06, 2020 1:26 pm

Zerubbabel wrote:
Thu Nov 05, 2020 8:10 pm
What I read is that EEA cards issued by the UK are no longer valid after Dec 31, 2020 no matter what date is printed on them.
That is indeed what the EEA RC page says.
It means, if you are outside the UK with that card in January, you need to apply for a permit to come back.
No, it doesn't.

We've had this conversation before. Actually... it is not clear what the supposed extension to printed date actually means (see below).
not_Lara wrote:
Fri Nov 06, 2020 12:39 pm
In one post Kamoe says the following "If used to successfully apply for the Settlement Scheme, a EEA BRC will be valid until is printed expiration date, NOT December 31st 2020. Since the status granted though the Settlement scheme will be valid after that expiration date, people are invited to tranfer their cards onto new EUSS BRCs. Biometrics for that are free."
Indeed. I quote the exact wording of the answer I was given by the EU Resolution centre. This does not mean anything either, in terms of how the cards can be used.

The fact that a card is "valid" past December 31st is not a guarantee that a UK immigration border official is going to know about the extension. They should know this... but I would not advise anyone to bank on it, specially when nothing has been published clarifying this extension.

Unfortunately, the answer to this might only come empirically, when some people start trying getting into the UK after January 1st 2021 on "expired but extended by virtue of EUSS applications" EEA RCs, and seeing what happens. Again, I do no try to do this myself or advise anyone to try to do it.
My posts express what I believe are the facts, based on the best of my knowledge, about the topics discussed in this forum. They do not constitute immigration advice.

Zerubbabel
Respected Guru
Mood:

Post by Zerubbabel » Fri Nov 06, 2020 2:23 pm

Unfortunately, the answer to this might only come empirically, when some people start trying getting into the UK after January 1st 2021 on "expired but extended by virtue of EUSS applications" EEA RCs, and seeing what happens. Again, I do no try to do this myself or advise anyone to try to do it.
The big problem will be for visa nationals as they be stuck abroad, refused by airlines even if they hold valid cards due to the messy communication from Home Office.

kamoe

Post by kamoe » Fri Nov 06, 2020 2:38 pm

Zerubbabel wrote:
Fri Nov 06, 2020 2:23 pm
The big problem will be for visa nationals as they be stuck abroad, refused by airlines even if they hold valid cards due to the messy communication from Home Office.
Indeed.
My posts express what I believe are the facts, based on the best of my knowledge, about the topics discussed in this forum. They do not constitute immigration advice.

not_Lara
Newly Registered
South Africa

EUSS Residence Card

Post by not_Lara » Tue Nov 24, 2020 3:55 pm

Hello,

I have a biometrics appointment to exchange my current EEA RC for an RC issued under the EUSS. The appointment is on the 7th of December. Does anyone know how long it takes for the new EUSS card to be processed/received after biometrics have been enrolled? I was planning to travel abroad from around the 20th of December, returning in January and have read that I shouldn't take the risk travelling abroad post-brexit with an EEA RC.

I also wondered whether anyone knows if we can keep the EEA RC?

Thank you

not_Lara
Newly Registered
South Africa

EUSS Residence Card

Post by not_Lara » Tue Nov 24, 2020 4:35 pm

and just one more question - if I do my biometrics on the 7th, can I use my current EEA card to travel outside the UK while the EUSS card is being processed? (I would make sure to return to the UK before Brexit)

Thank you!

Zerubbabel
Respected Guru
Mood:

Re: EUSS Residence Card

Post by Zerubbabel » Tue Nov 24, 2020 7:15 pm

not_Lara wrote:
Tue Nov 24, 2020 3:55 pm
Hello,

I have a biometrics appointment to exchange my current EEA RC for an RC issued under the EUSS. The appointment is on the 7th of December. Does anyone know how long it takes for the new EUSS card to be processed/received after biometrics have been enrolled? I was planning to travel abroad from around the 20th of December, returning in January and have read that I shouldn't take the risk travelling abroad post-brexit with an EEA RC.

I also wondered whether anyone knows if we can keep the EEA RC?

Thank you
They don't take away the EU Card. You keep it. Some time after the biometrics (a few weeks usually), you receive your EUSS card.

From 7th to 20th, it seems to short too me. You probably won't get the card.

If you leave and return before the end of the year, that's fine. You don't need the EUSS card until 2021.

Once in 2021, we will discover how people are travelling / not travelling with EEA cards. After all, there is a date on them and and even EEA cards issued in 2020 bear dates beyond 31/12/2020.

not_Lara
Newly Registered
South Africa

Post by not_Lara » Tue Nov 24, 2020 8:43 pm

Thank you for the clarity! So as long as I return before Brexit, its okay if I travel out and into the UK with my current EEA BC even though the EUSS RC is being processed?

jattsaab
Newly Registered
India

Post by jattsaab » Wed Nov 25, 2020 12:14 am

Hi
I am wondering Euss residence card get expired date or not means how long is coming with valid dates ? thanks because I m thinking to change my brp card as well in future

wish_uk
Member of Standing
Pakistan

Post by wish_uk » Wed Nov 25, 2020 1:27 am

kamoe wrote:
Fri Nov 06, 2020 2:38 pm
Zerubbabel wrote:
Indeed.
Then what should we do,
married Aug 2014

Zerubbabel
Respected Guru
Mood:

Post by Zerubbabel » Wed Nov 25, 2020 8:20 am

wish_uk wrote:
Wed Nov 25, 2020 1:27 am
kamoe wrote:
Fri Nov 06, 2020 2:38 pm
Zerubbabel wrote:
Indeed.
Then what should we do,
If you hold an EEA card only, make sure you are back on Dec 31, 2020 at the latest. Or ideally, don't travel as airlines are still cancelling flights and you may miss your return.

kamoe

Post by kamoe » Wed Nov 25, 2020 10:13 am

Zerubbabel wrote:
Tue Nov 24, 2020 7:15 pm
They don't take away the EU Card. You keep it.
Are you absolutely sure? Have you done this yourself? I have the vague memory of reading you do have to send it back (but can't remember where.)
If you leave and return before the end of the year, that's fine. You don't need the EUSS card until 2021.
What if the current card is cancelled in favour of the new card, the moment the application is accepted? Not sure is wise to assume the EEA RC card is valid until 31st Dec 2020 if you have applied to replace it.

kamoe

Post by kamoe » Wed Nov 25, 2020 10:15 am

not_Lara wrote:
Tue Nov 24, 2020 8:43 pm
Thank you for the clarity! So as long as I return before Brexit, its okay if I travel out and into the UK with my current EEA BC even though the EUSS RC is being processed?
I would not bank on this, at all. Your EEA CB might get cancelled while your new EUSS RC is in process. Until we receive a first-hand account of how this works, I am afraid we don't know for sure.

kamoe

Post by kamoe » Wed Nov 25, 2020 10:18 am

Zerubbabel wrote:
Wed Nov 25, 2020 8:20 am
Or ideally, don't travel as airlines are still cancelling flights and you may miss your return.
This is at present the only bullet proof way of avoiding all kinds of trouble.

After all, people on the Tier system have always had to make compromises and stay in the UK, often over Christmas, while their applications are processed. I know I had to do it once. Why could people not make some compromises sometimes?

And after all, there is a pandemics still boiling. Not travelling until your new card is in your hands is not a completely crazy idea.

Zerubbabel
Respected Guru
Mood:

Post by Zerubbabel » Wed Nov 25, 2020 11:12 am

kamoe wrote:
Wed Nov 25, 2020 10:13 am
Zerubbabel wrote:
Tue Nov 24, 2020 7:15 pm
They don't take away the EU Card. You keep it.
Are you absolutely sure? Have you done this yourself? I have the vague memory of reading you do have to send it back (but can't remember where.)
What if the current card is cancelled in favour of the new card, the moment the application is accepted? Not sure is wise to assume the EEA RC card is valid until 31st Dec 2020 if you have applied to replace it.
I spoke recently with someone who applied for EUSS card and received it later without them taking away the EEA card.

kamoe

Post by kamoe » Wed Nov 25, 2020 11:16 am

Zerubbabel wrote:
Wed Nov 25, 2020 11:12 am
I spoke recently with someone who applied for EUSS card and received it later without them taking away the EEA card.
Thanks for confirming!

OK, then it's possible to keep the card. Now, on the cautionary side, I would assume the EE RC that was allowed to be kept is now cancelled and invalid? Kept only as a souvenir?

If that is the case, then when do they get cancelled? Is there a gap between the EEA RC card being cancelled while still on the applicant's possession, and the new EUSS RC being issued? That's the danger on banking on a EEA RC card's validity...

wish_uk
Member of Standing
Pakistan

Post by wish_uk » Wed Nov 25, 2020 12:25 pm

kamoe wrote:
Wed Nov 25, 2020 11:16 am
Zerubbabel wrote:
Thanks for confirming!

OK, then it's possible to keep the card. Now, on the cautionary side, I would assume the EE RC that was allowed to be kept is now cancelled and invalid? Kept only as a souvenir?

If that is the case, then when do they get cancelled? Is there a gap between the EEA RC card being cancelled while still on the applicant's possession, and the new EUSS RC being issued? That's the danger on banking on a EEA RC card's validity...
I hold BRP family member of eu cit valid until april 2022. I applied for pre setteled sratus in april 2019, which was granted and valid until april 2024.

I am not issued any other BRP, I still have old one.
Now after 31 dec these cards will be invalid.
Wht we should do.

Also since I arrived in Uk on 20 March 2016, am I eligible for Setted status (PR) on 20 MArch 2021.

Will I get a new card then?

Thanks for taking time to read my post
married Aug 2014

Zerubbabel
Respected Guru
Mood:

Post by Zerubbabel » Wed Nov 25, 2020 12:26 pm

I don't know if it is cancelled. In the sense that EEA and EUSS are not mutually exclusive. Many people have a valid status under both. It's not like going from Tier 4 to Tier 2 where the Tier 2 means your Tier 4 status is over.

So, with this rational, I think it's possible that both cards stay valid at the same time. I find the communication from the Home Office really confusing. Even when I contact the help desk, I end up with generic responses making me wonder if they read emails at all.

Zerubbabel
Respected Guru
Mood:

Post by Zerubbabel » Wed Nov 25, 2020 12:29 pm

wish_uk wrote:
Wed Nov 25, 2020 12:25 pm
kamoe wrote:
Wed Nov 25, 2020 11:16 am
Zerubbabel wrote:
Thanks for confirming!

I hold BRP family member of eu cit valid until april 2022. I applied for pre setteled sratus in april 2019, which was granted and valid until april 2024.

I am not issued any other BRP, I still have old one.
Now after 31 dec these cards will be invalid.
Wht we should do.

Also since I arrived in Uk on 20 March 2016, am I eligible for Setted status (PR) on 20 MArch 2021.

Will I get a new card then?

Thanks for taking time to read my post
As you hold the EEA card, you will NOT get the EUSS card automatically. You need to apply for the card even if you have the status. That means 2 applications:

- Application for the EUSS status itself (you did that already)
- Application for the EUSS physical card itself. That may involved a new biometric appointment again

@Kamoe, I think you posted the link recently to apply for the physical EUSS card

not_Lara
Newly Registered
South Africa

Post by not_Lara » Wed Nov 25, 2020 12:52 pm

@Zerubbabel with what you've said in mind, do you think its okay for me to travel and return to the UK with my EEA card - as long as it is before Brexit - even though my EUSS card is being processed? I don't see why one would invalidate the other!

wish_uk
Member of Standing
Pakistan

Post by wish_uk » Wed Nov 25, 2020 12:59 pm

Zerubbabel wrote:
Wed Nov 25, 2020 12:26 pm
I don't know if it is cancelled. In the sense that EEA and EUSS are not mutually exclusive. Many people have a valid status under both. It's not like going from Tier 4 to Tier 2 where the Tier 2 means your Tier 4 status is over.

So, with this rational, I think it's possible that both cards stay valid at the same time. I find the communication from the Home Office really confusing. Even when I contact the help desk, I end up with generic responses making me wonder if they read emails at all.
Be noted
After having pre setteled status, I have travelled many times outside the Eu .
But every time they stuck while checking my RC. But let me go after few minuts.
Also they ask me if ever your RC was taken down.

Might be they have to check seperately about pre settel status. And pre settelled is not automatically linked with BRC
married Aug 2014

kamoe

Post by kamoe » Wed Nov 25, 2020 1:02 pm

not_Lara wrote:
Wed Nov 25, 2020 12:52 pm
I don't see why one would invalidate the other!
Obviously this is just one interpretation, but from the wording of the site: https://visas-immigration.service.gov.u ... nt-service
you want to upgrade your BRC issued under the EEA regulations to a BRC issued under the EU Settlement Scheme
For me upgrade means replace.

Again, no way of knowing for sure until someone has tried first hand, which I would not advise.

not_Lara
Newly Registered
South Africa

Post by not_Lara » Wed Nov 25, 2020 1:07 pm

@kamoe what if I were to change the date of my biometrics appointment so that I do it in January, after I travel?

Thank you again!