ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Switching to tier 2 visa from tier 4 within the UK with an expired passport

Only for the UK Skilled Worker visas, formerly known as Tier 2 visa route

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

reshn
Newly Registered
Mood:
South Africa

Switching to tier 2 visa from tier 4 within the UK with an expired passport

Post by reshn » Tue Nov 24, 2020 1:56 pm

I am planning to switch from a tier 4 to tier 2 visa in the next two months from within the UK. Unofortunately, my South African passport has expired and due to COVID lockdowns I may not be able to renew this before I apply. Would I be able to apply with the expired passport or some other form of identification if I provide proof that I have already applied for a new passport? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

icub
Newly Registered
Turkey

Re: Switching to tier 2 visa from tier 4 within the UK with an expired passport

Post by icub » Wed Nov 25, 2020 4:09 am

Hmmm how did you get a Tier 4 visa with your current passport in the first place? I thought the passport must be valid for at least 6 months more than the last day of your leave at the time of application.

Experts of the forum probably know this better, but applying for a visa without a valid passport sounds so wrong to me. I assume even the electronic application form wouldn't allow you to proceed.

Hope you find a way to solve this issue. In my opinion, the proof of a passport application does not prove anything to HO since being a citizen does not always sufficient to get a passport. If you can get something more concrete from your embassy (like a temporary passport or a confirmation letter contains your new passport info etc.), then there might be a chance. Again, these are only my opinions, hope you get your Tier 2.

Zerubbabel
Respected Guru
Mood:

Post by Zerubbabel » Wed Nov 25, 2020 8:39 am

There is a big mess with South Africa diplomatic representation in the UK. I heard their website is down, calls are not answered... etc.

I have read some articles about it. That means many South Africans are stuck with expired passports and unable to apply for anything. Because indeed, the Home Office expect a valid passport.

On some paper applications, there is a box "I can't provide a valid passport" then you have the option to elaborate why.

reshn
Newly Registered
Mood:
South Africa

Post by reshn » Wed Nov 25, 2020 1:38 pm

icub wrote:
Wed Nov 25, 2020 4:09 am
Hmmm how did you get a Tier 4 visa with your current passport in the first place? I thought the passport must be valid for at least 6 months more than the last day of your leave at the time of application.

Experts of the forum probably know this better, but applying for a visa without a valid passport sounds so wrong to me. I assume even the electronic application form wouldn't allow you to proceed.

Hope you find a way to solve this issue. In my opinion, the proof of a passport application does not prove anything to HO since being a citizen does not always sufficient to get a passport. If you can get something more concrete from your embassy (like a temporary passport or a confirmation letter contains your new passport info etc.), then there might be a chance. Again, these are only my opinions, hope you get your Tier 2.
My tier 4 was granted with 12 months still remaining on my passport - the passport expired last week. Looks like I may have to fly back to South Africa to renew as the embassy here is a mess.

reshn
Newly Registered
Mood:
South Africa

Post by reshn » Wed Nov 25, 2020 1:39 pm

Zerubbabel wrote:
Wed Nov 25, 2020 8:39 am
There is a big mess with South Africa diplomatic representation in the UK. I heard their website is down, calls are not answered... etc.

I have read some articles about it. That means many South Africans are stuck with expired passports and unable to apply for anything. Because indeed, the Home Office expect a valid passport.

On some paper applications, there is a box "I can't provide a valid passport" then you have the option to elaborate why.
Thanks so much, this is exactly my predicament. Just don't know what to do.

sah10406
Diamond Member

Post by sah10406 » Wed Nov 25, 2020 2:34 pm

icub wrote:
Wed Nov 25, 2020 4:09 am
I thought the passport must be valid for at least 6 months more than the last day of your leave at the time of application.
Not sure where you got this from, but it is not correct.
I do not give immigration advice. I refer you to Immigration Rules, guidance, other online content and to your sponsor.