ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Citizenship/Naturalisation Questions

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

arjay

Citizenship/Naturalisation Questions

Post by arjay » Fri Nov 27, 2020 11:00 am

We are in the process of making a British citizenship/naturalisation application for my wife, who received her ILR early this month, and a couple of questions have arisen that I would appreciate some guidance on:

1. When it asks for details of previous immigration applications, I assume that means the ILR SET(M) application, the earlier FLR (M) AND the Initial Entry applications?

2. We don't know the exact dates of the earlier applications. Is it in order to just put the month and year of the earlier ones?

3. It asks whether fingerprints were taken at each. In the case of the recent ILR application, (submitted via the IDV app), previous biometrics were used (presumably from the previous FLR application). Am I right to answer "No" for that question relating to the ILR application?

Thank you for any assistance you can give on those points.

CULLINAN
Respected Guru
Pakistan

Re: Citizenship/Naturalisation Questions

Post by CULLINAN » Fri Nov 27, 2020 11:24 am

arjay wrote:
Fri Nov 27, 2020 11:00 am
We are in the process of making a British citizenship/naturalisation application for my wife, who received her ILR early this month, and a couple of questions have arisen that I would appreciate some guidance on:

1. When it asks for details of previous immigration applications, I assume that means the ILR SET(M) application, the earlier FLR (M) AND the Initial Entry applications?
All and any

2. We don't know the exact dates of the earlier applications. Is it in order to just put the month and year of the earlier ones?
It is an “if known” question. Leave empty or provide estimates. If you provide estimates, clarify that in additional notes at the end of the form

3. It asks whether fingerprints were taken at each. In the case of the recent ILR application, (submitted via the IDV app), previous biometrics were used (presumably from the previous FLR application). Am I right to answer "No" for that question relating to the ILR application?
Select no, but clarify in the additional notes that you submitted application via IDV

Personal opinion only, not to be mistaken for legal advice. Please DO NOT PM me for immigration advice. Love for All, Hatred for None.

arjay

Post by arjay » Fri Nov 27, 2020 11:39 am

CULLINAN wrote:
Fri Nov 27, 2020 11:24 am
arjay wrote:
Fri Nov 27, 2020 11:00 am

All and any

It is an “if known” question. Leave empty or provide estimates. If you provide estimates, clarify that in additional notes at the end of the form

Select no, but clarify in the additional notes that you submitted application via IDV

Thank you Cullinan for your prompt reply.

Just two more questions have popped up:

Do you have any dependants not applying with you at this time?

My wife has an adult child living with us, who was initially granted leave to enter as a dependent child, and who is now over 18 and was granted ILR along with my wife (but whom of course now has to wait a further year before she can apply for Naturalisation. Should she be counted as a dependant for the purposes of this question?

And a related question also crops up further on:

Do you have any children whose birth parent is not your partner?

Do any of these children live with you?

Do we refer to the now adult child here? She lives with us.
Last edited by arjay on Fri Nov 27, 2020 11:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

CULLINAN
Respected Guru
Pakistan

Post by CULLINAN » Fri Nov 27, 2020 11:40 am

No
Personal opinion only, not to be mistaken for legal advice. Please DO NOT PM me for immigration advice. Love for All, Hatred for None.

arjay

Post by arjay » Fri Nov 27, 2020 11:56 am

CULLINAN wrote:
Fri Nov 27, 2020 11:40 am
No
Wouldn't we have said "Yes" in answer to the first question (as she was admitted as a dependent and in effect was granted ILR as an adult/dependent), and then "No" to the later one, as she isn't a child for the purpose of the last question.

CULLINAN
Respected Guru
Pakistan

Post by CULLINAN » Fri Nov 27, 2020 12:36 pm

arjay wrote:
Fri Nov 27, 2020 11:56 am
CULLINAN wrote:
No
Wouldn't we have said "Yes" in answer to the first question (as she was admitted as a dependent and in effect was granted ILR as an adult/dependent), and then "No" to the later one, as she isn't a child for the purpose of the last question.
I do not have the sight of the form and sequence of the questions. The answer was given before you edited your post.
The answer remains the same as far as dependency is concerned. There is no concept of dependent in AN application. The child is 18+ now anyways i.e. an adult. He/she can apply for AN on his/her own merits.

The second question: answer as the question asks depending on your circumstance. It is not a trick question.

arjay

Post by arjay » Fri Nov 27, 2020 1:58 pm

I think I am erring towards answering both as "no", on the basis that she is no longer a child/dependant. But propose to explain in the section for any additional information.

arjay

Post by arjay » Fri Nov 27, 2020 2:37 pm

CULLINAN wrote:
No
One final question, if I may:

Upon submitting the British citizenship application, is It better to register a new identity with UKVCAS (and not to use the identity used for the recent ILR application), to avoid any confusion with the ILR application which was submitted earlier this year and approved 4 weeks ago?

CULLINAN
Respected Guru
Pakistan

Post by CULLINAN » Fri Nov 27, 2020 2:40 pm

arjay wrote:
Fri Nov 27, 2020 2:37 pm
CULLINAN wrote:
No
One final question, if I may:

Upon submitting the British citizenship application, is It better to register a new identity with UKVCAS (and not to use the identity used for the recent ILR application), to avoid any confusion with the ILR application which was submitted earlier this year and approved 4 weeks ago?
It is not based on the UKVCAS’s identity. The same registered email will be used which you have used to register your UKVI account. It can not be changed after you have already filled your application. It does not matter though as your UKVCAS account will sync to your UKVI’a account even if the same registered email was used at ILR time.

arjay

Post by arjay » Thu Dec 03, 2020 11:43 am

Regarding uploading categories, what category would you suggest uploading the referees declarations?

And similarly a covering letter clarifying answers to one of the questions on the application?

CULLINAN
Respected Guru
Pakistan

Post by CULLINAN » Thu Dec 03, 2020 11:43 am

“other”

arjay

Post by arjay » Thu Dec 03, 2020 11:45 am

CULLINAN wrote:
Thu Dec 03, 2020 11:43 am
“other”
For both? (Not proof of application for the referees decs?) Thanks :D

CULLINAN
Respected Guru
Pakistan

Post by CULLINAN » Thu Dec 03, 2020 12:35 pm

arjay wrote:
Thu Dec 03, 2020 11:45 am
CULLINAN wrote:
Thu Dec 03, 2020 11:43 am
“other”
For both? (Not proof of application for the referees decs?) Thanks :D
You asked my suggestion and I gave my opinion. Having said that, categories are generic. I have always used “other” for referees and cover letter for myself but you can use any.