ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Citizenship Ceremony cancelled due to Covid-19

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

numero1111
Newly Registered

Re: Citizenship Ceremony cancelled due to Covid-19

Post by numero1111 » Fri Dec 04, 2020 4:24 am

Wrote to my MP and they have raised the case with the home office but to no avail.. still stuck with no response from the Home Office whatsoever.

In limboland.. (well am abroad!)
uuee6543 wrote:
Wed Oct 07, 2020 1:53 pm
numero1111 wrote:
Wed Oct 07, 2020 1:27 pm
Hello everyone! Received the below from the council after having received the citizenship invitation from Home office in February.. I have been stuck abroad and with the 14 day quarantine period was unable to attend before 23rd September(expiry date of existing certificate)
----

As my colleague said in the previous email. The Home Office are only allowing us to extend expiry dates for existing certificates to 23rd September, no further. So you won’t be able to book the October dates for group ceremonies that we currently have available.

Email the Home Office at Citizenship.Support@homeoffice.gov.uk or call 0300 123 2253 and ask for your expiry date to be extended. They will then instruct us to extended your expiry date., allowing you to book later. As my colleague said they have clearly stated that they do not intend anyone’s citizenship application to fail due to delays caused by Covid-19.

I am sorry but our hands are tied in this matter. We hope to see you sooner rather than later.

I wrote to the home office a month ago (20 working days as their service standard) and asked them to extend the dates so I could attends in October or November but to no avail.. I have rung that number but I just keep going round in circles. Do I just have to wait now then?

Any guidance/ advice really appreciated. Thanks a million in advance!
Citizenship.support mailbox doesn’t have any service standard as far as I’m aware. Some people get replies from them within a week while some wait for months and months and never get a reply. If you want a mailbox with 20 day reply deadline I’d advise you to make a formal complaint to the home office. Just google that. Alternatively you can email them directly at complaints@homeoffice.gov.uk - it goes to that mailbox as well if you go through the website complaint. I think it’s better to do it through their website as they will then stick to the 20 working days deadline for sure.

Edit: I think since your situation is very difficult I’d also email my MP in addition to complaining to the Home Office if I were you.

Doc12345
Newly Registered
Pakistan

Post by Doc12345 » Fri Dec 04, 2020 9:11 am

Hi any Aug approvals still waiting for invitation letter?

JETK
Newly Registered

Post by JETK » Fri Dec 04, 2020 11:15 am

askmeplz82 wrote:
Fri Dec 04, 2020 4:14 am
just found this in the guidance

" certificate of citizenship may be withdrawn if it is found to have been
obtained by fraud, false representation or concealment of any material fact, and that this may
affect my permission to remain in the UK. "

I understand, but that is not the case with me. And if they recalled my certificate for that purposes than they should be informing me in writing that they have withdrawn my approval due to false representation. But they have not done that. They did not even informed me that I was approved in error until I chase them (and that too after 3 email exchange)if it was false representation then they should have told me on my first email right?

nnn15

Post by nnn15 » Fri Dec 04, 2020 11:34 am

JETK wrote:
Fri Dec 04, 2020 11:15 am
askmeplz82 wrote:

obtained by fraud, false representation or concealment of any material fact, and that this may

I understand, but that is not the case with me. And if they recalled my certificate for that purposes than they should be informing me in writing that they have withdrawn my approval due to false representation. But they have not done that. They did not even informed me that I was approved in error until I chase them (and that too after 3 email exchange)if it was false representation then they should have told me on my first email right?
Is your application within the service standard still or is it been quite a long time? If it's been over 6 months since you applied you can request a progress update.

I find it quite frustrating that the HO doesn't provide meaningful case-specific response. I have a slightly different problem - my paperwork has not been printed in over 8 months. And no one I could reach within the HO could provide any explanation on why my paperwork still hasn't been printed although they've stated that the backlog has been cleared.

en_ilegna
Newly Registered

Post by en_ilegna » Fri Dec 04, 2020 11:37 am

qwisnia wrote:
Mon Nov 30, 2020 9:28 am
nnn15 wrote:
Sun Nov 29, 2020 10:34 pm
lmannova wrote:
Sun Nov 29, 2020 12:56 am
Hello there,

so here I am back again..

I was approved on 20th July and still didn't get an invitation. Waiting for it for over 18 weeks.

I tried so many ways already and exhausted all my options and honestly I am tired of this. HO was contacted several times over the phone, they did escalate it 2x for me but never got back to me [even though they said in how many days I will hear from them]. Emailing them is not worth it as their current response is 3 months [tried]. Council doesn't have my certificate. I also contacted my local council from my previous address as I moved after the approval but they don't have it either [I wanted to try all possible options, you never know with HO]. Even though the address change was confirmed by HO, I don't trust them.

Although I am really happy people are getting their invitations, I am very frustrated,angry and sad.

Why are they not being honest? Are they hiding something? I really wish they would tell us.

And as I fast I wanted to get the biometrics done back in July once they opened the centres, I now regret it as I should have done it later on and not rush it.

But from the previous comments I believe there are also another people waiting, some even from May, June?
Hey, waiting since April, no letter, no certificate. The phone helpline escalated my case last week, they said the HO should get in contact within 10 working days (which I'm not very hopeful about as previously they didn't follow through on the timelines they provided).
I think you can take the following actions:
1. Submit a complaint here https://www.ukvi-complaints.homeoffice.gov.uk/reason that the HO failed to deliver within the stated timeline of 12 weeks.
2. You might reach out to your MP, apparently the HO is legally obliged to respond to MPs.

Please post here if you find anything that works as I and a couple of other people on this forum are struggling with the same issue.
I'm in the same situation, can I suggest creating a separate thread in which we could track how many of forgotten application HO has got?
i agree to this..maybe april,may june approvals waiting still for certificate or letter can create a group..

Jeannot88

Post by Jeannot88 » Fri Dec 04, 2020 11:40 am

Hi folks,
My approval was on 23/09/2020 and I was able to book a public ceremony for next Tues, 08/12 via the RBKC (Kensington & Chelsea) website. I am yet to receive my invitation letter though. Has anybody attended there recently that would know if they require the actual invitation letter to attend?
Thanks!

eonatura
Newly Registered
Turkey

Post by eonatura » Fri Dec 04, 2020 11:47 am

jenov wrote:
Fri Dec 04, 2020 11:40 am
Hi folks,
My approval was on 23/09/2020 and I was able to book a public ceremony for next Tues, 08/12 via the RBKC (Kensington & Chelsea) website. I am yet to receive my invitation letter though. Has anybody attended there recently that would know if they require the actual invitation letter to attend?
Thanks!
As far as I know, RBKC does not require the invitation letter. At least this is what they told me during the lockdown. Probably best to ask them, they are quite helpful.

Did you try booking via the online booking website or did they notify you that your certificate has arrived? When were you able to book your appointment?

Thanks!

Jeannot88

Post by Jeannot88 » Fri Dec 04, 2020 11:57 am

Hi eonatura,

Thanks for the info.

I have been waiting (impatiently!) for some time now, I just kept trying the RBKC website whenever I remember by entering my HO ref and full name. Today, it just let me book a slot.
They didn't notify me, I just kept checking the website. I tried private/virtual ones first but not a lot of availability (from 21/12 at £200). Public ceremonies are available next week, Tues 8th & Thu 10th also Tues 15th. Loads of slots so decided to go for the free one on Tues just now.

Worried they will require the invitation letter, I called them and the person I spoke to wasn't sure. So I emailed the registrars, hopefully they allow me to attend if I don't receive it in time.

skasyap
India

Post by skasyap » Fri Dec 04, 2020 12:04 pm

My timeline if it helps others
Application made : May 2020
Application approved: 18th of September
Ceremony invite letter received :03rd of December letter dated 20th of Nov.
Ceremony booked for 13th of Jan @Newport registrar.

Can’t wait to get this over !!

JETK
Newly Registered

Post by JETK » Fri Dec 04, 2020 12:05 pm

nnn15 wrote:
Fri Dec 04, 2020 11:34 am
JETK wrote:
Fri Dec 04, 2020 11:15 am
askmeplz82 wrote:

Is your application within the service standard still or is it been quite a long time? If it's been over 6 months since you applied you can request a progress update.

I find it quite frustrating that the HO doesn't provide meaningful case-specific response. I have a slightly different problem - my paperwork has not been printed in over 8 months. And no one I could reach within the HO could provide any explanation on why my paperwork still hasn't been printed although they've stated that the backlog has been cleared.
I applied in beginning of April so it’s outside 6 months standards. I was approved in august. Since than I was waiting for certificate. I sent an email to case working team who informed me that they are doing external checks. I also checked with my council who advised that my certificate was arrived at council end of October and was sent back to HO on fist week of November which I was NOT informed until now(1 month after they sent it back) than I asked case working team again about that they said we approved you in error and we will let you know as soon we made decision.

What puzzles me is that they didn’t tell me I was approved in error on my first email they didn’t informed me on my second email either but when I told them about what my council said they replied back with below.

According to our records your case was approved in error before we had completed all of our enquiries, for which we apologies. As soon as all of our enquiries are complete, we shall notify you of the outcome of your application.

Yours sincerely
Xxx

londuk1
Mood:
Greece

Post by londuk1 » Fri Dec 04, 2020 12:08 pm

londuk1 wrote:
Wed Dec 02, 2020 12:37 pm
Finally I received my invitation letter.

Date of application: 17/06/2020
Biometrics: 03/08/2020
Approval email: 06/08/2020
Invitation letter (date on the letter): 02/11/2020
Invitation letter (received): 02/12/2020
Citizenship ceremony: Virtual ceremony booked for 17/12/2020

I don't know why but it took 1 month to receive the invitation letter. It was posted to my old address and delivered to me with the redirection service.
Ok I am delighted to say that this process will soon come to an end for me.

Just talked with Wandsworth Council and I booked a virtual ceremony for the 17th of December.
Good luck everybody!

nnn15

Post by nnn15 » Fri Dec 04, 2020 12:55 pm

en_ilegna wrote:
Fri Dec 04, 2020 11:37 am
i agree to this..maybe april,may june approvals waiting still for certificate or letter can create a group..
There is this thread already, created by someone who's been waiting for a certificate since March: british-citizenship/naturalisation-appr ... 09105.html

nnn15

Post by nnn15 » Fri Dec 04, 2020 12:59 pm

JETK wrote:
Fri Dec 04, 2020 12:05 pm
I applied in beginning of April so it’s outside 6 months standards. I was approved in august. Since than I was waiting for certificate. I sent an email to case working team who informed me that they are doing external checks. I also checked with my council who advised that my certificate was arrived at council end of October and was sent back to HO on fist week of November which I was NOT informed until now(1 month after they sent it back) than I asked case working team again about that they said we approved you in error and we will let you know as soon we made decision.

What puzzles me is that they didn’t tell me I was approved in error on my first email they didn’t informed me on my second email either but when I told them about what my council said they replied back with below.

According to our records your case was approved in error before we had completed all of our enquiries, for which we apologies. As soon as all of our enquiries are complete, we shall notify you of the outcome of your application.

Yours sincerely
Xxx
I haven't tried this option myself, but I saw on this forum that some people submitted a SAR request to the Home Office - it's a request to get all the personal data about you that they hold in their systems, including the caseworker notes, decision letters etc. You could probably try submitting this to get some insight about what happened to your application. Apparently they are obliged to provide a copy of this information, but I don't know if this is an EU law and will change post Brexit. Maybe worth trying now given it's an online request.

JETK
Newly Registered

Post by JETK » Fri Dec 04, 2020 1:11 pm

nnn15 wrote:
Fri Dec 04, 2020 12:59 pm
JETK wrote:
Fri Dec 04, 2020 12:05 pm

Yours sincerely
Xxx
I haven't tried this option myself, but I saw on this forum that some people submitted a SAR request to the Home Office - it's a request to get all the personal data about you that they hold in their systems, including the caseworker notes, decision letters etc. You could probably try submitting this to get some insight about what happened to your application. Apparently they are obliged to provide a copy of this information, but I don't know if this is an EU law and will change post Brexit. Maybe worth trying now given it's an online request.

I just read about it online and that’s a good idea. I will give another week or so if case working team replies alternatively I will submit SAR. Thank you for your direction. 🙏🏻

onyx_ng
Newly Registered
Mood:
Nigeria

Post by onyx_ng » Fri Dec 04, 2020 1:15 pm

My application was approved on the 25th of September so I emailed 'NationalitySupportTeamFMT@homeoffice.gov.uk' to see how things were going and this is how they responded.
Thank you for your e-mail

I can only confirm from our records that you will be contacted by post in the coming weeks

Thank you for your patience
Not sure how to take it tbh.

BGV
Newly Registered
Hungary

Post by BGV » Fri Dec 04, 2020 2:13 pm

onyx_ng wrote:
Fri Dec 04, 2020 1:15 pm
My application was approved on the 25th of September so I emailed 'NationalitySupportTeamFMT@homeoffice.gov.uk' to see how things were going and this is how they responded.

I can only confirm from our records that you will be contacted by post in the coming weeks

Could you share when did you send the request to HO and how long been waiting for the reply?

dragon098
Mood:

Post by dragon098 » Fri Dec 04, 2020 2:43 pm

londuk1 wrote:
Fri Dec 04, 2020 12:08 pm

Just talked with Wandsworth Council and I booked a virtual ceremony for the 17th of December.
Good luck everybody!
Could you please tell me if you had to pay or was it for free. I highly doubt Wandsworth Council would do anything for free.

Once again congrats, finger crossed you get your British Passport soon and relax.

londuk1
Mood:
Greece

Post by londuk1 » Fri Dec 04, 2020 2:46 pm

dragon098 wrote:
Fri Dec 04, 2020 2:43 pm
londuk1 wrote:
Fri Dec 04, 2020 12:08 pm

Good luck everybody!
Could you please tell me if you had to pay or was it for free. I highly doubt Wandsworth Council would do anything for free.

Once again congrats, finger crossed you get your British Passport soon and relax.
They didn’t mention anything about payment. I guess it’s free because it’s virtual. I will let you know if they ask me for payment on the ceremony day.

Emeliajayne88
Newly Registered
Australia

Post by Emeliajayne88 » Fri Dec 04, 2020 2:56 pm

nnn15 wrote:
Thu Dec 03, 2020 9:26 am
An update for the long haulers:

- still no luck with the HO support channels (emails, phone helpline, complaints),
- I received a response from my MP. The HO told them my letter was sent back in August.

I reached out to my MP significantly later than the paperwork was supposedly sent, so it's obvious it wasn't received by then. The chances it is going to arrive after 4 months are very slim. My council hasn't received my certificate either, so if both items were issued they were both lost. The HO hasn't provided any explanation, so I guess I will have to follow up with the MP.
Thanks for this, I will reach out to my MP again too.
It's so upsetting to see people approved in September already having ceremonies... I can't believe it. This has taken such a personal toll on me :(

onyx_ng
Newly Registered
Mood:
Nigeria

Post by onyx_ng » Fri Dec 04, 2020 3:07 pm

BGV wrote:
Fri Dec 04, 2020 2:13 pm
onyx_ng wrote:
Fri Dec 04, 2020 1:15 pm

Could you share when did you send the request to HO and how long been waiting for the reply?
Sure. I asked them to confirm whether they had despatched my citizenship documents to the local council, waited for a day.

nnn15

Post by nnn15 » Fri Dec 04, 2020 5:02 pm

Emeliajayne88 wrote:
Fri Dec 04, 2020 2:56 pm
nnn15 wrote:
Thu Dec 03, 2020 9:26 am
An update for the long haulers:

- still no luck with the HO support channels (emails, phone helpline, complaints),
- I received a response from my MP. The HO told them my letter was sent back in August.

I reached out to my MP significantly later than the paperwork was supposedly sent, so it's obvious it wasn't received by then. The chances it is going to arrive after 4 months are very slim. My council hasn't received my certificate either, so if both items were issued they were both lost. The HO hasn't provided any explanation, so I guess I will have to follow up with the MP.
Thanks for this, I will reach out to my MP again too.
It's so upsetting to see people approved in September already having ceremonies... I can't believe it. This has taken such a personal toll on me :(
My concern here is that the HO stated the backlog has been cleared. So it sounds like they are not going back to the old applications, and it doesn't look like anything is being done to print our paperwork. Given these applications are approved, the backlog is supposedly clear and the HO is sending certificates weekly, I can't see why our certificates can't be included in the next delivery. Possible explanations that come to my mind:
- they don't care and therefore are not doing anything,
- they lost track of applications and are unaware part of the backlog still hasn't been processed.

I'm waiting to see the response on the complaint where I flagged that my paperwork still hasn't been printed. They might blame the pandemic, but I don't think it's a valid argument given they are printing and sending certificates with later approval dates every week.

Rk2987
Newly Registered

Post by Rk2987 » Fri Dec 04, 2020 11:16 pm

Have been following this thread for a while

Got my certificate today
Application approval : August 18th, 2020
Date on letter : Nov 9th
Letter delivery : December 4th

en_ilegna
Newly Registered

Post by en_ilegna » Sat Dec 05, 2020 9:18 am

nnn15 wrote:
Fri Dec 04, 2020 12:55 pm
en_ilegna wrote:
Fri Dec 04, 2020 11:37 am
There is this thread already, created by someone who's been waiting for a certificate since March: british-citizenship/naturalisation-appr ... 09105.html
thank you

tier21419
Member of Standing
Pakistan

Post by tier21419 » Sat Dec 05, 2020 11:14 am

is there anyone who attended the ceremony at Liverpool council without HO invitation letter? were you allowed to do so?

Rabs

Post by Rabs » Sat Dec 05, 2020 10:05 pm

Wow!!!
Just saw someone celebrating her ceremony on FB with the following timeline:

Attended citizenship ceremony today. Leicester Council.
My timeline-
Naturalisation application submitted online 30 June 2020.
Biometrics at ukvcas centre - 5 August 2020.
No email.
Approval letter received by post- 24 Nov 2020 (Dated Nov 13).
Citizenship cer email from council- 29 Nov 2020.
Citizenship ceremony- 5 December 2020.

I'm really puzzled to be honest...