ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Irish Citizenship Application: British Citizen

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

raja.brit
Member of Standing
Jamaica

Irish Citizenship Application: British Citizen

Post by raja.brit » Sat Dec 05, 2020 11:24 am

Good morning all,

Appreciate your time and guidance in advance.

I am a British Citizen, been exercising EU treat rights. If I were to apply for my Citizenship by the end of this December while UK is still in transition period, may I confirm what address do I need to use to mail my application?

I think technically it should be CM2 address as below but wanted to confirm.

Form 8 applications for EEA nationals and Spouse of Irish national, post to:
Citizenship Applications (CMU 1)
Immigration Service Delivery
Department of Justice and Equality
PO Box 73
Tipperary Town
Ireland

Form 8 applications for Non EEA nationals, post to:
Citizenship Applications (CMU 2)
Immigration Service Delivery
Department of Justice and Equality
PO Box 73
Tipperary Town
Ireland

Many thanks :)

Vorona
- thin ice -
Ireland

Re: Irish Citizenship Application: British Citizen

Post by Vorona » Sat Dec 05, 2020 2:23 pm

That's correct. As UK left the EU you must send it to the second address.

raja.brit
Member of Standing
Jamaica

Post by raja.brit » Sat Dec 05, 2020 3:23 pm

Thanks Vorona !!

littlerr
Respected Guru
China

Post by littlerr » Sat Dec 05, 2020 6:03 pm

While technically it is correct that UK citizens are non-EEA members now, they are still (and will continue to be) treated as EEA members in terms of citizenship applications, just like the Swiss citizens.

The whole purpose of splitting applications between the two teams is that CMU1 deals with people who do not need an IRP card (and spouse of Irish citizens for expedited processing), and CMU2 deals with people who need an IRP card. Putting UK citizens into CMU2 makes no sense as they do not and will not have an IRP card even after Brexit. Just like Switzerland who is not a member of EEA, but can still avail of everything that an EEA country is entitled to.

I guess for now you can submit the application to either unit. I hope they will update their application guideline soon when Brexit actually happens.

Obie
Ireland

Post by Obie » Sat Dec 05, 2020 6:20 pm

I agree that until the transition has ended on the 31-12-2020, the UK is still treated as an EEA state. It must not be sent to area where non-EEA applications are sent.
Smooth seas do not make skilful sailors

raja.brit
Member of Standing
Jamaica

Post by raja.brit » Sat Dec 05, 2020 6:59 pm

@littlerr and @obie, appreciate your brilliant insight as always.

Many thanks :)

Shakey

Post by Shakey » Sat Dec 05, 2020 7:52 pm

littlerr wrote:
Sat Dec 05, 2020 6:03 pm
While technically it is correct that UK citizens are non-EEA members now, they are still (and will continue to be) treated as EEA members in terms of citizenship applications, just like the Swiss citizens.

The whole purpose of splitting applications between the two teams is that CMU1 deals with people who do not need an IRP card (and spouse of Irish citizens for expedited processing), and CMU2 deals with people who need an IRP card. Putting UK citizens into CMU2 makes no sense as they do not and will not have an IRP card even after Brexit. Just like Switzerland who is not a member of EEA, but can still avail of everything that an EEA country is entitled to.

I guess for now you can submit the application to either unit. I hope they will update their application guideline soon when Brexit actually happens.
Indeed, post brexit transition British will still have far more rights in Ireland than any EU/EEA/Swiss citizen.

agliolio
Newly Registered
Malaysia

Post by agliolio » Sun Dec 06, 2020 7:09 pm

HI

Just jumping on the back of this.

I recently applied for my naturalisation application as well and I’m a NON EU/ NON EEA applicant - applying through the spousal route

Based on your explanation I should have submitted my application to CMU 1.
However, in the hurry of it all I’m pretty sure I submitted to CMU 2 reading only the ‘NON EEA’ aspect.

Does anyone know if this will affect my application? Many thanks

raja.brit
Member of Standing
Jamaica

Post by raja.brit » Sun Dec 06, 2020 8:23 pm

Hi agliolio,

I don't think it will affect your application coz address is exactly the same except for the CMU section.

I think they should be able to re-route your application internally to the appropriate department.

All the best!

raja.brit
Member of Standing
Jamaica

Post by raja.brit » Mon Dec 07, 2020 1:42 pm

Hi all,

I didn't want to open a new topic as my question is in relation to my Citizenship.

I just realised even though I completed 5yrs this October 21st, I have had short holidays on several occasions (max 10 days on certain occasions).

Unfortunately I dont have all my past flight details so I am not sure if the days I spent in Ireland accrues 1826 days. But I can only reckon it should be around 2 to 3months outside Ireland and I have not travelled for the past 1yr.

As a British Passport holder, we don't need to use the Residency Calculator and provide only address proof, the following are my questions:

- Would GNIB normally have travel history when we travel outside of Ireland in a EU Passport?

- Would it be safe for me to apply for Citizenship anyways considering the long delay in processing the application and I certainly would have accrued over 1826 days by the time GNIB review my application?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Many thanks!

CroUK
BANNED
Pitcairn Island

Post by CroUK » Mon Dec 07, 2020 2:07 pm

hi there,

I have an EU passport and had no problems regarding citizenship application; I was each and every year more than 6 weeks out of Ireland in Spain and Portugal. There are no passport stamps or they ever asked me to confirm my time outside of Ireland. I just said in the application that I was never more than 6 weeks outside of Ireland if this helps you.

Vorona
- thin ice -
Ireland

Post by Vorona » Mon Dec 07, 2020 3:51 pm

The question about absences applies to all applicants, regardless of nationality. There's nothing in the form that excluded EU citizens from this requirement.

If you spent more than 6 weeks outside of the country you must disclose it. Remember - you sign the declaration that all details are truthful and accurate.

Information about every passenger arriving and departing to/from country is registered. Airlines are also required to keep their record. Enquiries can be made about any applicant. If you conceal long absences, this could be brought to you in the future.

If you're not sure about the dates, ask your airline for a copy of your itineraries.

Moreover non-EU spouses if Irish citizens can enter Ireland without having to stamp their passport, by using automated machines in Dublin airport. I have done so multiple times and pretty sure it's all recorded electronically.

raja.brit
Member of Standing
Jamaica

Post by raja.brit » Mon Dec 07, 2020 6:04 pm

Thanks @CroUK and @Vorona again. Appreciate your insights.

Good call @Vorona about 6 weeks absence disclosure. I just read the Form 8 application n it does specifies we must disclose absence more than 6 weeks in 5yrs.

I guess I better try again to sort the absence dates which will give me an idea when to actually apply.

Thanks again everyone for your brilliant assistance: )

Vorona
- thin ice -
Ireland

Post by Vorona » Mon Dec 07, 2020 6:24 pm

No problem. Just because someone lied and got away with it, doesn't mean that truth will never be revealed. In life anything can happen.
There's a clear warning on the form about consequences for providing misleading information.

raja.brit
Member of Standing
Jamaica

Post by raja.brit » Sun Dec 13, 2020 6:50 pm

Hi all,

Need you input please. Thanks in advance.

I am not sure what to answer for the following question as it is not applicable to me.

The application info section says it EU / EEA Citizens don't need to use Residency Calculator.

http://www.inis.gov.ie/en/inis/pages/na ... calculator states UK, EU, EEA & Swiss nationals are not required to fill this.

Is it safe to mark it as not applicable but putting a note? I can't leave it blank as the guidelines states we are not suppose to leave any questions unanswered.

You must print a copy of the report and include it with this application.
If you do not do so your application will be deemed ineligible.

5.3 I have entered my residency permission stamps in to the online residency checker and confirm that I satisfy the residency conditions

Yes No

littlerr
Respected Guru
China

Post by littlerr » Thu Dec 24, 2020 4:45 pm

I have just got confirmation from INIS that UK Nationals should send their applications to CMU1

raja.brit
Member of Standing
Jamaica

Post by raja.brit » Thu Dec 24, 2020 8:35 pm

Hi littlerr,

Appreciate your reponse and many thanks.

Perfect, that is where I mailed my application.

Merry Christmas to you n all members!!!