ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Foreign Birth Registration

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

Nodrick
Newly Registered

Re: Foreign Birth Registration

Post by Nodrick » Mon Dec 07, 2020 10:01 am

Well I would if i could find an e-mail address

Nodrick
Newly Registered

Post by Nodrick » Mon Dec 07, 2020 10:02 am

Well I would if I could find an e-mail address

JuniorBatman
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by JuniorBatman » Mon Dec 07, 2020 2:29 pm

Nodrick wrote:
Mon Dec 07, 2020 9:48 am
I know I’m not the only one in this situation, but it is frustrating when you see August submissions moving on when you are being told things are moving on in strict date order……
That said, I guess there are much bigger issues in the world right now.
I know what you mean. I've not seen anyone who applied after me go through yet but am pessimistically expecting it to happen when they get there in (hopefully) a few months.

I always took that 'strict date order' with a pinch of salt. When you think about the practicalities I always imagined it was 'sort of date order' and it didn't matter too much because they went through fairly smoothly and it was perhaps a few weeks out.

I can't begin to imagine how they physically manage all the paperwork with the huge backlogs caused by Covid and the rush of applications because of the British mishandling of Brexit.

ct101
Newly Registered
Canada

Post by ct101 » Tue Dec 08, 2020 9:45 am

Crossing my fingers for everyone!

Application submitted: 10 July 2019
Application received in Dublin: 18 July 2019
Confirmation of postal address email: 21 October 2020
Congratulations you are now an Irish citizen email: 7 December 2020
Printing of FBR certificate: Pending
Delivery of FBR certificate: Pending

Does anyone have any idea how long it's taking these days for the certificate to be printed? My congratulations email says that my certificate has been printed and posted to my address but I was under the impression that they were at least a month behind in printing the certificates. Any info would be great so that I can prepare myself! Thanks a lot everyone.

Fbrlad
Aruba

Post by Fbrlad » Tue Dec 08, 2020 1:34 pm

Im an applicant from July 2019 and havent even heard anything from FBR and my last call in October they told me they have no idea when I will get approval but assured me that they are processing July-October 2019 applications. Seems they are just saying whatever comes to their minds. I wouldnt take them seriously.

Fish Fry
Newly Registered
United States of America

Post by Fish Fry » Tue Dec 08, 2020 10:46 pm

I'm in the same boat except I applied in May 2019 and received the email confirming receipt of the application on June 6, 2019. I'm just sitting tight for the moment.

FlyingMum

Post by FlyingMum » Tue Dec 08, 2020 11:52 pm

My son received his email confirming address and pending entry on to the FBR on 19 October and that the certificate and supporting documentation would be returned in 4 weeks. He’s still waiting so fingers crossed, it’s all just caught in the logjam.

Fbrlad
Aruba

Post by Fbrlad » Wed Dec 09, 2020 8:39 am

FlyingMum wrote:
Tue Dec 08, 2020 11:52 pm
My son received his email confirming address and pending entry on to the FBR on 19 October and that the certificate and supporting documentation would be returned in 4 weeks. He’s still waiting so fingers crossed, it’s all just caught in the logjam.
When did he apply?

FlyingMum

Post by FlyingMum » Wed Dec 09, 2020 10:57 am

Fbrlad wrote:
Wed Dec 09, 2020 8:39 am
[quote=FlyingMum post_id=<a href="tel:1969068">1969068</a> time=<a href="tel:1607471529">1607471529</a> user_id=219514]
When did he apply?
[/quote]

Online application 10 July 2019. Acknowledgement of application 15 July 2019.

ChicagoGirl
Newly Registered
United States of America

Post by ChicagoGirl » Wed Dec 09, 2020 2:33 pm

I am not going to add my timeline, as I just applied (sigh, let the long journey begin) - but I am curious, there are so many FBR applicants. Is this all in efforts to actually live in Ireland? Or is it mostly due to Brexit?

Corkythecat

Post by Corkythecat » Wed Dec 09, 2020 4:10 pm

ChicagoGirl wrote:
Wed Dec 09, 2020 2:33 pm
I am not going to add my timeline, as I just applied (sigh, let the long journey begin) - but I am curious, there are so many FBR applicants. Is this all in efforts to actually live in Ireland? Or is it mostly due to Brexit?
I expect there are a wide variety of reasons for applying for FBR.

In addition to splitting the country in half, Brexit has thrown up a whole series of practical issues from legal rights, ease of travel, crossing borders etc. to personal feelings about identity and family ties etc. Many feel a need to crystallise both their Irish and European identities. I suspect only a tiny minority are planning to actually move from Britain to Ireland.

If you search online there have been a few articles in the Irish press about the phenomenon.

P.S.This recent article is a reminder of how many of us are having such a long wait:

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/social- ... -1.4423371

saddleback
Israel

Post by saddleback » Wed Dec 09, 2020 4:15 pm

ChicagoGirl wrote:
I would say 80% of the applicants are British, some of them, uniquely, are the die-hard Brexiteers. Mr Paisley of DUP in Northern Ireland who is by no means sympathetic to the Irish cause, on the record has obtained an Irish passport for EU travel/residence purposes. Just like Mr Paisley, rather a few applicants represent an interesting fusion of pragmatism and the counter-weighting world view I should say.

ChicagoGirl
Newly Registered
United States of America

Post by ChicagoGirl » Wed Dec 09, 2020 4:32 pm

Corkythecat wrote:
Wed Dec 09, 2020 4:10 pm
ChicagoGirl wrote:
I expect there are a wide variety of reasons for applying for FBR.

In addition to splitting the country in half, Brexit has thrown up a whole series of practical issues from legal rights, ease of travel, crossing borders etc. to personal feelings about identity and family ties etc. Many feel a need to crystallise both their Irish and European identities. I suspect only a tiny minority are planning to actually move from Britain to Ireland.

If you search online there have been a few articles in the Irish press about the phenomenon.

P.S.This recent article is a reminder of how many of us are having such a long wait:

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/social- ... -1.4423371

Thanks for sharing! I am doing the FBR so that I can move to be with my family in Ireland (my parents already made the move) - so it is interesting to hear more about the reasons post-brexit. Appreciate it!

stingray90
Newly Registered
Mood:
Australia

Post by stingray90 » Wed Dec 09, 2020 4:51 pm

I'm Australian. My partner is from London and living with me in Australia...I did the FBR so we can live and work in London together

ChicagoGirl
Newly Registered
United States of America

Post by ChicagoGirl » Wed Dec 09, 2020 5:01 pm

Thank you everyone! I find this all really interesting! Hopefully we will all have those beautiful red passports in hand sooner (ish) rather than later (ish)!

jamiepompey
Mood:
Ireland

Post by jamiepompey » Wed Dec 09, 2020 8:34 pm

ChicagoGirl wrote:
My intention over many years was always to apply as I was very close to my Irish grandmother. My wife and I were considering starting a family so that accelerated my plans and then Brexit happened. I work a lot in the EU (I’m from the UK) so having freedom of movement is very important to me. My wife became pregnant about 9 months after I applied and I was finally added to the FBR in October. So happy that my daughter, who will be born next month can also claim the citizenship. Although due to mine and my wife’s nationalities our daughter will have a claim to British, Irish, Australian and Maltese citizenships.

andrewberry
Newly Registered
United States of America

Post by andrewberry » Wed Dec 09, 2020 10:12 pm

This is perhaps slightly off the general topic on here.
Does anyone know if Irish Citizens who are Citizens by virtue of the Foreign Birth Registry have all of the same rights/responsibilities of any Irish Citizen?
And I guess I mean specifically in terms of access to medical care and paying taxes, things like that.

In other words, if I were to go to a hospital a month after being placed in the FBR (God forbid), would they say, "Sir you have not paid taxes yet, so we won't treat you for the same "price" as we would an Irish citizen."
Just wondering if anyone was aware of how that works? I imagine there is a big difference between an Irish Citizen who lives in Boston and does not pay taxes in Ireland showing up at a hospital in Dublin while on vacation, vs. an Irish citizen (by virtue of FBR) showing up at a hospital in Ireland that actually resides/works in Ireland and pays taxes in Ireland?
Thanks if anyone has any insight on how things like taxes and medical care might work.

Muscat

Post by Muscat » Wed Dec 09, 2020 10:22 pm

ripforreallldo
United States of America

Post by ripforreallldo » Thu Dec 10, 2020 10:42 am

stingray90 wrote:
Wed Dec 09, 2020 4:51 pm
I'm Australian. My partner is from London and living with me in Australia...I did the FBR so we can live and work in London together
i’m american and my partner is english. i’m doing fbr so i can move to the uk with him so we can both finally live and work freely. six month visas aren’t cutting it anymore. thought i’d be there by now..the wait times have really pushed our plans back. we are trying to buy a house and start a family so after discussing all of our options, this is the cheapest and most fruitful route.

nadia83
Newly Registered
Pakistan

Post by nadia83 » Thu Dec 10, 2020 11:06 am

Hi dose any1 know if there taking any call atm. So I could find how long to go.. it been 14 months already

nadia83
Newly Registered
Pakistan

Post by nadia83 » Thu Dec 10, 2020 11:12 am

Hello everyone in the room. Has any recently titled contacting the office either via telephone or webchat.n tell us what ur feed back. Cuz I was in webchat yesterday waited n 1 hour n than kept me on no1 n chat vanished😅😅😅😅

DanaMarie
Ireland

Post by DanaMarie » Thu Dec 10, 2020 11:37 am

nadia83 wrote:
Thu Dec 10, 2020 11:06 am
Hi dose any1 know if there taking any call atm. So I could find how long to go.. it been 14 months already
Yes, the phone lines and webchat are up and running, there are just long delays and I believe they close for the lunch hour. Waiting 14 months is very common unfortunately, as you can see from other timeliness in this thread. They were working on May 2019 - July 2019 applications prior to the most recent shutdown so it's a certainty that they are even farther behind now. Hang in there!

nadia83
Newly Registered
Pakistan

Post by nadia83 » Thu Dec 10, 2020 11:57 am

Thank you for your reply. Hope it quick now

Alice14
Newly Registered

Post by Alice14 » Thu Dec 10, 2020 5:08 pm

Hi Everyone, I submitted my FBR application Sept 2019 and have had a response today asking for the civil marriage certificate instead of the church certificate I submitted. I have requested a certificate from the registers office but my mum thinks it’s unlikely there will be one.

Does anyone know what happens if there isn’t a civil marriage certificate ?

Thanks !

Fbrlad
Aruba

Post by Fbrlad » Thu Dec 10, 2020 5:23 pm

I suppose if you tell them, they would tell you what the alternative is.

Was it by email? What is your timeline?