ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Foreign Birth Registration

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

Alice14
Newly Registered

Re: Foreign Birth Registration

Post by Alice14 » Thu Dec 10, 2020 5:32 pm

My documents were received 10th Sept 2019.

I have replied and they said the next step was to wait for confirmation from the Civil Registration Service that there isn’t a certificate. I just wondered if anyone else had been successful with just a church marriage certificate.

ChicagoGirl
Newly Registered
United States of America

Post by ChicagoGirl » Thu Dec 10, 2020 8:17 pm

I wonder if the majority of the Brexit related flood of apps are already submitted - perhaps with less demand, the wait times will reduce as they catch up?

jamiepompey
Mood:
Ireland

Post by jamiepompey » Thu Dec 10, 2020 9:53 pm

ChicagoGirl wrote:
Thu Dec 10, 2020 8:17 pm
I wonder if the majority of the Brexit related flood of apps are already submitted - perhaps with less demand, the wait times will reduce as they catch up?
I think now that the Brexit transition period is over I would expect another rush unfortunately. There are hundreds of thousands/millions of eligible people in the UK. Once people start experiencing the inconveniences of being outside the EU I’d expect a spike in applications then as well. But who knows, I could well be wrong.

BrexitEscapee
- thin ice -

Post by BrexitEscapee » Thu Dec 10, 2020 11:44 pm

Alice14 wrote:
Thu Dec 10, 2020 5:08 pm
Hi Everyone, I submitted my FBR application Sept 2019 and have had a response today asking for the civil marriage certificate instead of the church certificate I submitted. I have requested a certificate from the registers office but my mum thinks it’s unlikely there will be one.
Have you tried searching for it yourself? Ireland's official genealogy website allows you to search through both church and official records online for free and without registering. If you've already got the church marriage certificate, you'll have loads of details so your search should be very quick and easy - if the marriage was registered (and the record wasn't destroyed in the 1922 fire at the Public Records Office in Dublin) you should find it without too much trouble.

Hopefully, the registrar's office will also be able to find it easily and produce a new certificate for you, but I'd be tempted to get online and search for the marriage record now, if only for my own peace of mind.

https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/ ... earch.jsp

Alice14
Newly Registered

Post by Alice14 » Fri Dec 11, 2020 12:22 am

BrexitEscapee wrote:
Thu Dec 10, 2020 11:44 pm
Alice14 wrote:
Thu Dec 10, 2020 5:08 pm
Hi Everyone, I submitted my FBR application Sept 2019 and have had a response today asking for the civil marriage certificate instead of the church certificate I submitted. I have requested a certificate from the registers office but my mum thinks it’s unlikely there will be one.
Have you tried searching for it yourself? Ireland's official genealogy website allows you to search through both church and official records online for free and without registering. If you've already got the church marriage certificate, you'll have loads of details so your search should be very quick and easy - if the marriage was registered (and the record wasn't destroyed in the 1922 fire at the Public Records Office in Dublin) you should find it without too much trouble.

Hopefully, the registrar's office will also be able to find it easily and produce a new certificate for you, but I'd be tempted to get online and search for the marriage record now, if only for my own peace of mind.

https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/ ... earch.jsp
I think because the marriage was after 1944 which is when the Historic records of Births, Marriages and Deaths ends I couldn't find it on that site. However, I have now found a record of their civil marriage certificate searching on Find my Past so fingers crossed I will get a copy from the Civil Registration Office relatively soon -ish.

Thanks for your help !

Abaloneman
Newly Registered
Mood:
United States of America

Post by Abaloneman » Fri Dec 11, 2020 1:39 am

Thanks to all who are posting their experiences, it is encouraging given the long wait.

I received my confirmation of documents received on Dec.30, 2019, so I know I still have a bit of a wait. It helps though having this forum to read and know that folks are getting confirmations and are being added to the FBR.

Thanks to Ireland for having this brilliant naturalization policy!

JuniorBatman
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by JuniorBatman » Fri Dec 11, 2020 6:11 pm

jamiepompey wrote:
Thu Dec 10, 2020 9:53 pm
ChicagoGirl wrote:
Thu Dec 10, 2020 8:17 pm
I think now that the Brexit transition period is over I would expect another rush unfortunately. There are hundreds of thousands/millions of eligible people in the UK. Once people start experiencing the inconveniences of being outside the EU I’d expect a spike in applications then as well. But who knows, I could well be wrong.
I think there are still plenty to come too. I started thinking about the process for my family and me straight after the referendum but didn't actually start it for three years because I kept hoping for someone in government to be a grown-up! I daresay there will be plenty who are still waiting hoping for a last-minute deal.

Covid has probably played a part too. With holidays being so restricted many won't have thought much about their passport this year, but (assuming things start getting back to normal next year) I daresay any changes to travel will stimulate a few applications.

Mr_Knight
Mood:

Post by Mr_Knight » Sat Dec 12, 2020 1:02 pm

It has been interesting reading through this topic.
It took me at least 3 months to get both my Irish grandparents birth certificates from Ireland. But within 3 weeks got mine and my mothers English birth certificates and my parents and grandparents English marriage certificates and my grandparents English death certificates.

A commissioner of oaths signed and stamped a copy of my British passport and drivers licence and an old name change document but refused to sign and stamp the FBR application form because he "didn't know me personally". So I got Notary Public to do it no problem.

I sent many additional documents including a DBS check & HMRC tax letters along with utility bills so there could be little doubt about my identity for them.
All sent on 7th December 2020
Now I just sit back and wait a few years.
Scotland will probably be an independent country by the time I'm an Irish citizen.

ronaldbutterbean
Newly Registered
Christmas Island

Post by ronaldbutterbean » Sat Dec 12, 2020 3:41 pm

Does anyone know if it is allowed to send in 2 fbr applications at the same time if the 2 people share the same proof documents?

MikeyMike
Ireland

Post by MikeyMike » Sat Dec 12, 2020 4:15 pm

ronaldbutterbean wrote:
Sat Dec 12, 2020 3:41 pm
Does anyone know if it is allowed to send in 2 fbr applications at the same time if the 2 people share the same proof documents?
Yes, sometimes siblings. See section 'Other Questions' in the FAQ: https://www.dfa.ie/citizenship/born-abr ... cent-faqs/

Rbs3
Newly Registered

Post by Rbs3 » Sun Dec 13, 2020 6:04 pm

Our family is of irish/english/maltese heritage, resident in england. We’ve been using FBR and the maltese equivalent to secure citizenships, mainly with the younger members of the family in mind: so they can one day live/work/love without borders getting in the way (whatever they decide). For FBR, we have a young daughter who we submitted for in August 2019 and hoping to hear back soon, but there is no particular urgency. I just wanted to wish everyone well in their citizenship journeys, and also recognise that for some people the question of citizenship is of crucial importance—I wish these people in particular every good wish in securing speedy resolution.

cdfly
United States of America

Post by cdfly » Mon Dec 14, 2020 10:24 am

Woke up to the most fantastic email this morning! Truly was not expecting to be registered until next fall at the minimum! No idea how or why my application was processed so quickly, since my sisters was expedited over the summer.

Expedited Pregnant Sister
FBR (via descent) application submitted online: 23 February 2020
Email acknowledging receipt in Balbriggan: ...Postal tracking confirmed arrival 14 July 2020
Confirmation of address email: 27 July 2020 - only had to email scanned address proof
Added to FBR: 27 July 2020

Myself
FBR (via descent) application submitted online: 17 February 2020
Email acknowledging receipt in Balbriggan: ...Postal tracking confirmed arrival 14 July 2020.. Since they opened our joint application up, I'm just gonna take that as confirmation
Confirmation of address email: 14 December 2020
Added to FBR: 14 December 2020

Hoping to have my passport in a few months! Thanks for your help everyone!!

Fbrlad
Aruba

Post by Fbrlad » Mon Dec 14, 2020 10:34 am

Wow! Super lucky you are! Congrats

Nodrick
Newly Registered

Post by Nodrick » Mon Dec 14, 2020 12:50 pm

So to update as I've posted a couple of occasions that I've had a seemingly longer wait than most, and I know there are some others out there like me out there too, I've had the confirmation on email request today - Hurrah!

My time line is :-
Application submitted online: 15 May 2019
Email acknowledging receipt of documents (Balbriggan): 29 May 2019
Confirmation of address email: 14 December 2020
Date added to FBR: Awaiting
Congrats email: Awaiting
FBR certificate received: Awaiting

arae9
Newly Registered
United States of America

Post by arae9 » Mon Dec 14, 2020 4:52 pm

I have been lurking here for months and just made an account because I got The Email today!!!

My documents were received in Ireland: September 16 2019
Address confirmation email: December 14 2020

The long wait is nearly over

obrienlj
Newly Registered
Dominican Republic

Post by obrienlj » Mon Dec 14, 2020 6:26 pm

I received the please confirm address email months ago. Do most people get a response back right away after confirming?

Doddyod
Newly Registered

Post by Doddyod » Mon Dec 14, 2020 8:32 pm

Mine was on 16 October, just before the recent lockdown, nothing since, I tried a follow up e-mail, but no response yet? Mine is a June 2019 application

Doddyod
Newly Registered

Post by Doddyod » Mon Dec 14, 2020 8:32 pm

Mine was on 16 October, just before the recent lockdown, nothing since, I tried a follow up e-mail, but no response yet? Mine is a June 2019 application

Doddyod
Newly Registered

Post by Doddyod » Mon Dec 14, 2020 8:33 pm

Doddyod
Newly Registered

Post by Doddyod » Mon Dec 14, 2020 8:33 pm

AntrimGrandchild
United States of America

Post by AntrimGrandchild » Mon Dec 14, 2020 10:56 pm

Hello all! Glad to see the FBR is running again - it's certainly been a hard year for the world, that's for sure. I have kind of a strange situation and would like some feedback. Here is my timeline...

Application submitted online: 4th June 2019
Email acknowledging receipt of documents (Balbriggan): 13th June 2019
Confirmation of address email: 8th October 2020
Date added to FBR: 9th October 2020
Congrats email: I didn't receive one, but I guess the webchat with the DFA offices today would count (19th October 2020)
FBR certificate received: Pending

I never received a congrats email but was told my the people on the web chat service that I was added to the FBR. Documents mailed and even given a tracking reference.. and nothing. I've received nothing at this point and am worried my documents were lost in the mail. Any recommendations about next steps?

AntrimGrandchild
United States of America

Post by AntrimGrandchild » Mon Dec 14, 2020 10:58 pm

obrienlj wrote:
Mon Dec 14, 2020 6:26 pm
I received the please confirm address email months ago. Do most people get a response back right away after confirming?
Hi! I just posted a recent message about this. I received a please confirm email and no follow up in October. I got a web chat representative online about two weeks later and she said that I had been added to the FBR already. Response e-mails should be soon after, but I am guessing COVID through everything off. I am guessing you never received your certificate or documents either?? Yikes!

DanaMarie
Ireland

Post by DanaMarie » Tue Dec 15, 2020 11:47 am

AntrimGrandchild wrote:
Mon Dec 14, 2020 10:56 pm
Hello all! Glad to see the FBR is running again - it's certainly been a hard year for the world, that's for sure. I have kind of a strange situation and would like some feedback. Here is my timeline...

Congrats email: I didn't receive one, but I guess the webchat with the DFA offices today would count (19th October 2020)

I never received a congrats email but was told my the people on the web chat service that I was added to the FBR. Documents mailed and even given a tracking reference.. and nothing. I've received nothing at this point and am worried my documents were lost in the mail. Any recommendations about next steps?
You received a tracking number for your FBR certificate but it never activated? Or it activated and then the trail went dead? If it never activated then it likely hasn't gone out yet unfortunately. It looks likely based on your timeline that your certificate should have been sent out smack in the middle of level 5 which of course we know they weren't working at that time, so there's every chance it's just delayed. They regularly take 4+ weeks to get a certificate printed and into the mail under normal circumstances. But I'd probably webchat with them again just to ask the question, that is if your tracking number hasn't activated. If it's activated and shows travel then you need to get in touch with An Post.

AntrimGrandchild
United States of America

Post by AntrimGrandchild » Tue Dec 15, 2020 2:27 pm

DanaMarie wrote:
Tue Dec 15, 2020 11:47 am
AntrimGrandchild wrote:
Mon Dec 14, 2020 10:56 pm

You received a tracking number for your FBR certificate but it never activated? Or it activated and then the trail went dead? If it never activated then it likely hasn't gone out yet unfortunately. It looks likely based on your timeline that your certificate should have been sent out smack in the middle of level 5 which of course we know they weren't working at that time, so there's every chance it's just delayed. They regularly take 4+ weeks to get a certificate printed and into the mail under normal circumstances. But I'd probably webchat with them again just to ask the question, that is if your tracking number hasn't activated. If it's activated and shows travel then you need to get in touch with An Post.
Hi Dana! Yes - I received a tracking number for my certificate but it was never activated. This does make a lot of sense, that it was held for printing and then just never got sent out because of the lockdown. I forgot about this part of the timeline. The woman who I spoke with on the FBR webchat in mid-October said it would be with me in a few weeks, but it makes sense that it was never printed/mailed. Thanks so much for your helpful response!

brianteur
Newly Registered
United States of America

Post by brianteur » Tue Dec 15, 2020 3:55 pm

Hi, everybody! I have a question about FBR that I would appreciate any insight on -

My husband's grandfather was born in Ireland in 1887. Right now we have multiple documents corroborating this - death certificate, marriage certificate, US naturalization papers, 1901 Ireland census, and even the 1906 papers for the ship he took from Ireland to the US. However, we cannot find the birth certificate for him nor any of his 5 siblings. The marriage certificate for his parents exists, but not their death certificates or anything. There is reportedly a church where there was a baptismal certificate, but after year of trying to contact the church and even having family members in Ireland go there in person, we haven't been able to find anything.

I contacted the Diocese today and after telling them how much I've been trying to contact this one person, they called them on my behalf and told me to send them another email. That being said, I'm preparing myself for the possibility that there might not even be a baptismal certificate - the Diocese told me it's common for documents from that time to be lost from fires.

I'm assuming we're out of luck if we're unable to locate a birth certificate or baptismal record? Has anyone else been in a similar situation? We've been trying for a year now, but no dice and I don't know what to do next.