ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Working rights for spouse of EU citizen

Immigration to European countries, don't post UK or Ireland related topics!

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

Jamieokeeffe
Newly Registered
United States of America

Working rights for spouse of EU citizen

Post by Jamieokeeffe » Sat Dec 12, 2020 12:55 am

Hello, hope for advice on my right to work in the EU as the spouse of an EU citizen. I am American and my husband is Irish. We currently live in Croatia where we both have residence and work permission. I have just accepted a job in Germany and it’s looking like it might get complicated for how I obtain permission to work there. My husband, at least initially, will not join me in Germany. He has work secured in Croatia but will likely be joining me within about 6 months of my move.

So here’s my question: do I have the right to work in ANY EU country as the spouse of an EU citizen? Or do I only have the right to work where my spouse resides? Thanks in advance for any help!

ALKB
Respected Guru
Germany

Re: Working rights for spouse of EU citizen

Post by ALKB » Sat Dec 12, 2020 11:12 am

Jamieokeeffe wrote:
Sat Dec 12, 2020 12:55 am

So here’s my question: do I have the right to work in ANY EU country as the spouse of an EU citizen? Or do I only have the right to work where my spouse resides? Thanks in advance for any help!
No, you have work rights in an EU country that your EEA-spouse lives in and exercises treaty rights = working, studying full time (this usually means university level), jobseeking (limited amount of time). If your spouse leaves that country permanently - moves away - you automatically lose those rights.

If you move on your own, you have to satisfy the same requirements as any other American applying for a work permit in Germany.

How long have you lived in Croatia with your spouse?
I am not a regulated immigration advisor. I am offering an opinion and not advice.