ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Supporting Document Return

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

justaquery
Pakistan

Re: Supporting Document Return

Post by justaquery » Fri Dec 11, 2020 2:10 pm

024601 wrote:
Fri Dec 11, 2020 1:19 pm
Just a quick update, I did live chat with the passport service and the lady told me the documents have been picked up by TNT (they were the ones who brought me the passport as well) and will be delivered this Monday. So might be worth checking on the TNT website HERE
using your PEX number and your postcode.

Or might be worth doing the online chat and they'll be able to tell you if the documents have been sent yet.
That’s great news. I’ve just had a reply from them on Twitter with my consignment no. TNT has picked it up and delivering mine on Monday too.

CULLINAN
Respected Guru
Pakistan

Post by CULLINAN » Fri Dec 11, 2020 5:35 pm

Happy travels.
Personal opinion only, not to be mistaken for legal advice. Please DO NOT PM me for immigration advice. Love for All, Hatred for None.

justaquery
Pakistan

Post by justaquery » Fri Dec 11, 2020 5:41 pm

CULLINAN wrote:
Fri Dec 11, 2020 5:35 pm
Happy travels.
Thanks

Frou01
Member of Standing
Mood:
Finland

Post by Frou01 » Fri Dec 11, 2020 9:24 pm

024601 wrote:
Fri Dec 11, 2020 1:19 pm
Just a quick update, I did live chat with the passport service and the lady told me the documents have been picked up by TNT (they were the ones who brought me the passport as well) and will be delivered this Monday. So might be worth checking on the TNT website HERE
using your PEX number and your postcode.

Or might be worth doing the online chat and they'll be able to tell you if the documents have been sent yet.
When I try to login it’s not working for me using my postcode on the top and my PEX number on the bottom.

Others said that too.
How can I login as my passport is on its way?

Frou01
Member of Standing
Mood:
Finland

Post by Frou01 » Fri Dec 11, 2020 9:31 pm

Sorry for confusion, found out to login the pan number with the PEX and no spaces.

Could enter my TNT account and my passport is delivered on Monday, but no words about supporting documents on there.

Frou01
Member of Standing
Mood:
Finland

Post by Frou01 » Fri Dec 11, 2020 9:31 pm

Frou01 wrote:
Fri Dec 11, 2020 9:31 pm
Sorry for confusion, found out to login the pan number with the PEX and without spaces.

Could enter my TNT account and my passport is delivered on Monday, but no words about supporting documents on there.

CULLINAN
Respected Guru
Pakistan

Post by CULLINAN » Fri Dec 11, 2020 10:43 pm

Sometimes supporting documents are not delivered by TNT. It could be Royal Mail too.
Personal opinion only, not to be mistaken for legal advice. Please DO NOT PM me for immigration advice. Love for All, Hatred for None.

Bulgaria

Post by 024601 » Sat Dec 12, 2020 12:30 am

Frou01 wrote:
Sorry for confusion, found out to login the pan number with the PEX and no spaces.

You're probably going to be in the same situation as some of us here. I got my passport with TNT on 30.11 with no word of supporting documents.

Now they've finally sent my supporting documents with TNT again, so if I type in my PEX and postcode, I can see that my supporting docs will be here on Monday. Maybe you'll have to wait about 2 weeks as well. They said they're prioritizing sending the UK passports first and then the supporting docs.

Did you pay the extra money for "secure" return of your docs? If you did, I think they'll come back to you in about 2 weeks with TNT again and you'll be able to trace them with the same PEX and postcode.

ILR1980
Pakistan

Post by ILR1980 » Sat Dec 12, 2020 2:31 am

I got my passport today Friday 11th Dec and tracking on TNT suggest that the supporting documentation is going to be delivered on Monday

Frou01
Member of Standing
Mood:
Finland

Post by Frou01 » Sat Dec 12, 2020 9:09 am

024601 wrote:
Sat Dec 12, 2020 12:30 am
Frou01 wrote:

You're probably going to be in the same situation as some of us here. I got my passport with TNT on 30.11 with no word of supporting documents.

Now they've finally sent my supporting documents with TNT again, so if I type in my PEX and postcode, I can see that my supporting docs will be here on Monday. Maybe you'll have to wait about 2 weeks as well. They said they're prioritizing sending the UK passports first and then the supporting docs.

Did you pay the extra money for "secure" return of your docs? If you did, I think they'll come back to you in about 2 weeks with TNT again and you'll be able to trace them with the same PEX and postcode.
Yes, I have paid extra for special delivery.

I can see my new passport will be delivered on Monday.
So I assume there’s no point in waiting two weeks before contacting them for sending my other documents as well.
I will call them on Monday unless the page will update.

Yesterday I spoke to them about my concern about sending the certificate in a state it has been when sending it to them.
All over the places are lots of reports the naturalisation certificate comes crumbled, bend and even sometimes ripped.
In the ceremony envelope has been information about treating that certificate with care.
Also them embassy of my home country wouldn’t be happy to show them the certificate in a terrible state by my passport renewal next month.

Can anyone confirm here the state of the certificate by return please?

arjay

Post by arjay » Sat Dec 12, 2020 1:58 pm

As a related question, I note several of you have referred to requesting the return of supporting documents by secure delivery. Is there an alternative, i.e. allow return by standard delivery? If so, might that get the documents returned more quickly, because the PO wouldn't have to wait for the documents to be specially collected by the courier company? Just a thought.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Sat Dec 12, 2020 2:00 pm

arjay wrote:
Sat Dec 12, 2020 1:58 pm
As a related question, I note several of you have referred to requesting the return of supporting documents by secure delivery. Is there an alternative, i.e. allow return by standard delivery? If so, might that get the documents returned more quickly, because the PO wouldn't have to wait for the documents to be specially collected by the courier company? Just a thought.
Secure deliver is royal mail special delivery envelope. Not a courier.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

Vilandra
Newly Registered
Poland

Post by Vilandra » Sat Dec 12, 2020 2:51 pm

CR001 wrote:
Sat Dec 12, 2020 2:00 pm
arjay wrote:
I've spoken to HMPO numerous times now and researched this a lot the standard delivery is via Royal Mail second class and that is how the supporting documents are returned unless you pay an additional 5 pounds for a secure delivery in which case the documents are delivered via HMPO appointed courier who at the moment are TNT (they handle the delivery of passports and supporting documents).

From TNT website:
'Please visit here to track your delivery for:
Passport and supporting documents - you will need your PAN or Consignment number (this can be found on your SMS/email notification or ‘Sorry We Missed You’ card) and postcode of the address on your application.'

From: https://assets.publishing.service.gov.u ... clean_.pdf
Methods of posting/delivery for UK Mail
Second Class Mail is used for posting out official letters in the UK unless there is an urgent business need to use first class mail, for example, replies to customer complaints. Supporting documents are returned to the applicant by Royal Mail 2nd class post, unless the applicant requests their return by Secure Delivery, in which case the appropriate Secure Delivery fee is payable before a decision is made.
Royal Mail 1st class post should not be used to return supporting documents.
A printed address label should always be used when returning supporting documents by Royal Mail 2nd class post. The address should never be hand written.
If the passport is being printed locally, the passport and supporting documents will be returned separately. The passport must be returned by Secure Delivery free of charge as this is included in the UK passport fee, and the supporting documents returned by second class post, unless the customer has requested and paid for secure delivery. Valid UK passports or Home Office Travel Documents included as part of the applicants supporting documentation must be returned via Secure Delivery at our cost if the applicant has not already paid for this option, however foreign national passports forwarded, as supporting documents, will be despatched using Royal Mails 2nd Class Postal Service, unless the applicant has paid the fee for Secure Delivery.
Recorded Signed For Delivery (previously known as Recorded Delivery) has previously been used in cases where it is considered necessary to know that a packet has reached its destination. However, since the introduction of Secure Delivery there is no longer a need for examination staff to use this service. Please see Royal Mail Special Delivery below.
Royal Mail Special Delivery by 9.00am was introduced in 2003. The service is not available to all areas of the UK, and the areas not covered are the Isle of Wight, the Channel Islands, Isles of Scilly and the Highlands and Islands of Scotland (except the areas around Aberdeen and Inverness). Post rooms will have Special Delivery pads from Royal Mail for use with this service. This service should only be used for very exceptional reasons only where Secure Delivery will not be sufficient; i.e. if there is a requirement for the customer to receive the item before 9.00am. The reason for using Special Delivery should be case noted and authorisation must be obtained from an HEO.

arjay

Post by arjay » Sat Dec 12, 2020 3:54 pm

Vilandra wrote:
Sat Dec 12, 2020 2:51 pm
CR001 wrote:
arjay wrote:
I've spoken to HMPO numerous times now and researched this a lot the standard delivery is via Royal Mail second class and that is how the supporting documents are returned unless you pay an additional 5 pounds for a secure delivery in which case the documents are delivered via HMPO appointed courier who at the moment are TNT (they handle the delivery of passports and supporting documents).

From TNT website:
Passport and supporting documents - you will need your PAN or Consignment number (this can be found on your SMS/email notification or ‘Sorry We Missed You’ card) and postcode of the address on your application.'

Second Class Mail is used for posting out official letters in the UK unless there is an urgent business need to use first class mail, for example, replies to customer complaints. Supporting documents are returned to the applicant by Royal Mail 2nd class post, unless the applicant requests their return by Secure Delivery, in which case the appropriate Secure Delivery fee is payable before a decision is made.
A printed address label should always be used when returning supporting documents by Royal Mail 2nd class post. The address should never be hand written.
If the passport is being printed locally, the passport and supporting documents will be returned separately. The passport must be returned by Secure Delivery free of charge as this is included in the UK passport fee, and the supporting documents returned by second class post, unless the customer has requested and paid for secure delivery. Valid UK passports or Home Office Travel Documents included as part of the applicants supporting documentation must be returned via Secure Delivery at our cost if the applicant has not already paid for this option, however foreign national passports forwarded, as supporting documents, will be despatched using Royal Mails 2nd Class Postal Service, unless the applicant has paid the fee for Secure Delivery.
Recorded Signed For Delivery (previously known as Recorded Delivery) has previously been used in cases where it is considered necessary to know that a packet has reached its destination. However, since the introduction of Secure Delivery there is no longer a need for examination staff to use this service. Please see Royal Mail Special Delivery below.
Royal Mail Special Delivery by 9.00am was introduced in 2003. The service is not available to all areas of the UK, and the areas not covered are the Isle of Wight, the Channel Islands, Isles of Scilly and the Highlands and Islands of Scotland (except the areas around Aberdeen and Inverness). Post rooms will have Special Delivery pads from Royal Mail for use with this service. This service should only be used for very exceptional reasons only where Secure Delivery will not be sufficient; i.e. if there is a requirement for the customer to receive the item before 9.00am. The reason for using Special Delivery should be case noted and authorisation must be obtained from an HEO.
Thanks for that comprehensive and thorough answer.

It makes you wonder, why they don't just send documents Royal Mail First Class or Royal Mail tracked delivery.

I have recently bought various things online, and I have to say I had much better success with Royal Mail tracked deliveries, which came via our normal postman who knows the local addresses well, than things that were sent via a courier service. In fact I had a delivery of coffee beans that disappeared through a courier service!

justaquery
Pakistan

Post by justaquery » Sat Dec 12, 2020 8:14 pm

arjay wrote:
Sat Dec 12, 2020 3:54 pm
Vilandra wrote:
Sat Dec 12, 2020 2:51 pm
CR001 wrote:
arjay wrote:

From TNT website:

Thanks for that comprehensive and thorough answer.

It makes you wonder, why they don't just send documents Royal Mail First Class or Royal Mail tracked delivery.

I have recently bought various things online, and I have to say I had much better success with Royal Mail tracked deliveries, which came via our normal postman who knows the local addresses well, than things that were sent via a courier service. In fact I had a delivery of coffee beans that disappeared through a courier service!
Fully agree with you, if they used Royal Mail first class, I imagine a lot of people wouldn’t pay £5 for special delivery. For me, I knew how much of a delay there was when the HO was sending ceremony invitation letters through second class so didn’t want to risk it. This experience wasn’t particularly better either, for almost 4-5 days after I flagged my issue to HMPO customer service, it seemed like they could not tell me where exactly my support documents were which was not a pleasant experience. My documents are expected to be delivered by TNT on Monday so hopefully that’s the end of the matter but not sure if I got value for my extra £5.

Vilandra
Newly Registered
Poland

Post by Vilandra » Mon Dec 14, 2020 1:23 pm

4 weeks for me now and the best the customer services team can do is sending emails asking for an update, Surely the person who was meant to send them back knows if they did so or not and if they haven't they should be tasked with finding them. I called the helpline on Friday they put me through to the relevant office, it turns out they put me through to Liverpool instead of Newport and I got disconnected after 10 minutes wait for them to pick up. This is ridiculous, each time I'm being told contact us in 3 days if they don't respond, it's pointless.

Frou01
Member of Standing
Mood:
Finland

Post by Frou01 » Mon Dec 14, 2020 3:00 pm

Vilandra wrote:
Mon Dec 14, 2020 1:23 pm
4 weeks for me now and the best the customer services team can do is sending emails asking for an update, Surely the person who was meant to send them back knows if they did so or not and if they haven't they should be tasked with finding them. I called the helpline on Friday they put me through to the relevant office, it turns out they put me through to Liverpool instead of Newport and I got disconnected after 10 minutes wait for them to pick up. This is ridiculous, each time I'm being told contact us in 3 days if they don't respond, it's pointless.
We’re talking here about your most important documents.
I spoke to HMPO this morning to get an idea and they said the time frame is a week after sending the new passport.

As you are waiting 4 weeks and only get dodgy and incompetent responses or non, report your documents lost or stolen to the police and also to your home countries consulat and inform them you did.

Vilandra
Newly Registered
Poland

Post by Vilandra » Mon Dec 14, 2020 3:56 pm

Frou01 wrote:
Mon Dec 14, 2020 3:00 pm
Vilandra wrote:
I spoke to HMPO this morning to get an idea and they said the time frame is a week after sending the new passport.

As you are waiting 4 weeks and only get dodgy and incompetent responses or non, report your documents lost or stolen to the police and also to your home countries consulat and inform them you did.
Thanks Frou01, I've sent them one last message asking them to contact the relevant office via phone on my behalf and request an update via phone on whereabouts of my documents. Otherwise I'll have no choice but to contact the Police and report the documents lost/stolen. Probably a waste of time but at least they can't say that I didn't warn them, I expect they will not be willing to pay out the compensation either but the clear failures in communication on their behalf shouldn't be hard to prove. I could really do without all of this, I was so wary of sending the documents to them precisely for this reason and of course this happens!

Frou01
Member of Standing
Mood:
Finland

Post by Frou01 » Mon Dec 14, 2020 4:04 pm

You did the best you can and were waiting long enough to consider to take action.

Did you call the general line? ‭0300 222 0000‬
I’ve found them so far quite helpful.

I totally understand that feeling of sending off these important documents and then this.
I really hope you get your imports documents ASAP and to bring that big journey to an end.

Best of luck! :)

justaquery
Pakistan

Post by justaquery » Mon Dec 14, 2020 10:05 pm

Vilandra wrote:
Mon Dec 14, 2020 3:56 pm
Frou01 wrote:
Mon Dec 14, 2020 3:00 pm
Vilandra wrote:

Thanks Frou01, I've sent them one last message asking them to contact the relevant office via phone on my behalf and request an update via phone on whereabouts of my documents. Otherwise I'll have no choice but to contact the Police and report the documents lost/stolen. Probably a waste of time but at least they can't say that I didn't warn them, I expect they will not be willing to pay out the compensation either but the clear failures in communication on their behalf shouldn't be hard to prove. I could really do without all of this, I was so wary of sending the documents to them precisely for this reason and of course this happens!
Very sorry to hear you still haven’t received your docs. As you have clear evidence of communication with them, hopefully they should reimburse you the cost of apply for replacement docs. Maybe it’s worth asking the HMPO customer service team directly about this, that you are being forced into applying for replacement docs and naturalisation certificate which will cost £xx and as it’s their fault whether they will cover the cost?

Vilandra
Newly Registered
Poland

Post by Vilandra » Tue Dec 15, 2020 9:33 am

Well I've been checking TNT website every few hours or so and this morning finally there is a new consignment number supposedly with supporting documents. I do fear that after all of this my brand spanking new certificate will be in pieces or who knows maybe they are sending an empty envelope just to get me off their back... I do hope not, either way I'll record myself opening it just in case. I do regret not recording packing them but I have scans of both documents which prove there was no damage to them prior to being in HMPO hands. Fingers crossed this is the end as I can't bare another few months fight about compensation.

Frou01
Member of Standing
Mood:
Finland

Post by Frou01 » Tue Dec 15, 2020 10:05 am

I have called them to ask when I could expect my supporting documents.
As today my passport delivery is due he said maximum two weeks from today and that I get a new update in my account using again postcode and PEX number to track it.

Vilandra
Newly Registered
Poland

Post by Vilandra » Tue Dec 15, 2020 10:27 am

Frou01 wrote:
Tue Dec 15, 2020 10:05 am
As today my passport delivery is due he said maximum two weeks from today and that I get a new update in my account using again postcode and PEX number to track it.
That's what they told me too, 2 weeks, in fact the customer services refused to send any enquiries until 2 weeks from when passport was delivered was up. I do not understand why are they prioritising issuing of passports, from the timeline it doesn't look like there is any delay/backlog and most of the single nationality Brits won't be going anywhere anytime soon. Plus is it really such a hard work to put 2 documents in an envelope and slap an address label on it? It's a shame that what happens to the documents is not a part of the process as far as online application is concerned, once passport os sent there are no updates on what happens to supporting documents. If there was, at least it would have been flagged that the application has not been completed yet.

Frou01
Member of Standing
Mood:
Finland

Post by Frou01 » Tue Dec 15, 2020 10:40 am

Vilandra wrote:
Tue Dec 15, 2020 10:27 am
Frou01 wrote:
Tue Dec 15, 2020 10:05 am
That's what they told me too, 2 weeks, in fact the customer services refused to send any enquiries until 2 weeks from when passport was delivered was up. I do not understand why are they prioritising issuing of passports, from the timeline it doesn't look like there is any delay/backlog and most of the single nationality Brits won't be going anywhere anytime soon. Plus is it really such a hard work to put 2 documents in an envelope and slap an address label on it? It's a shame that what happens to the documents is not a part of the process as far as online application is concerned, once passport os sent there are no updates on what happens to supporting documents. If there was, at least it would have been flagged that the application has not been completed yet.
I think it’s totally outdated asking for original documents to send and to be at risk to get lost or damaged (too many have reported their certificate is returned bend, crumbled and even ripped which is appalling!).
As it’s a government department granting citizenship and issuing the certificates why HMPO cannot just look up the information?
Especially as the Home Office starts to go for digital only like with Settled Status and in 4 years with ILR Status and all visas too, why we need to send in an old fashioned way our most precious documents?

They could manage that different like having walk in centres in each city to show the original documents.

I’m very worried my certificate is returned in a bad state as it was flawless by sending it in a strong envelope and plastic file. My home countries embassy won’t see that so relaxed if I come with a ripped certificate for my next passport renewal.
I have made clear to them it needs to be returned the way I have sent it.
(Otherwise will ask them to pay for replacement, no compromises!).

Vidit32
Newly Registered
India

Post by Vidit32 » Tue Dec 15, 2020 2:30 pm

I just received my supporting documents today, my friend picked it up so not sure if it was through Royal Mail or TNT, more likely it was through Royal Mail even though I paid extra for secure delivery and I kept checking on TNT till yesterday nothing was updated on their system. Thank you all for your help once again