ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

German Citizenship

Immigration to European countries, don't post UK or Ireland related topics!

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

haqhash

German Citizenship

Post by haqhash » Sun Dec 13, 2020 11:51 am

Dear All,
One of my friends has started MS in Germany. I have two questions.

After completing MS , how many years of work permit he can apply according to German rules?

After work permit what is way forward for settlement and citizenship?

Would appreciate a detailed reply

Many Thanks

alterhase58
Germany

Re: German Citizenship

Post by alterhase58 » Sun Dec 13, 2020 4:54 pm

Not an expert on German immigration and naturalisation (!) but here is a link regarding citizenship which may be helpful:
https://www.bmi.bund.de/SharedDocs/faqs ... rung_en.ht -

The first sentence is an indication:

"To be eligible for naturalization, a person has to have lived legally in Germany for at least eight years and possess the appropriate residence permit."

Also note that Germany has strict rules about dual/multiple citizenship:

"In addition, they must give up their previous citizenship. In certain cases or for certain groups of persons, however, multiple nationality may be considered."

Naturalisation is applied for and decided at a lower level of government, compared to the Home Office for the UK.
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

ALKB
Respected Guru
Germany

Re: German Citizenship

Post by ALKB » Sun Dec 13, 2020 9:56 pm

haqhash wrote:
Sun Dec 13, 2020 11:51 am
Dear All,
One of my friends has started MS in Germany. I have two questions.

After completing MS , how many years of work permit he can apply according to German rules?

After work permit what is way forward for settlement and citizenship?

Would appreciate a detailed reply

Many Thanks
Post study work permits are up to 18 months and can be converted to a regular work permit that leads to settlement if qualified employment is found during those 18 months.

Not sure whether or how the post study work permit will be counted towards citizenship, time spent on a student visa is often not counted or only half.

They need to speak German at a fairly high level to get an indefinite residence permit, which is prerequisite for naturalization and also pass the language and citizenship test. The language test can be waived if is university studies were in German.
I am not a regulated immigration advisor. I am offering an opinion and not advice.