ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Stamp 1 and work permit

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

ch123

Stamp 1 and work permit

Post by ch123 » Tue Dec 15, 2020 1:35 am

Hi guys,

I’ve been recently granted stamp 1 by the Department under exceptional circumstances instead of Stamp 1G. I don’t have a work permit. The Department has issued me stamp 1 for a period of time and informed me that I could renew the permission if I succeed in obtaining a work permit.

I’ve been reading about the stamp 1 conditions very closely. Can I enter employment and apply for the work permit in the mean time and once I get it, I can get stamp 1 renewed at the time when it’s about to expire? The conditions on the INIS website state that One can’t enter employment without a valid work permit. However, the letter I received from INIS clearly states that I’ve been granted this stamp to enable me to work and apply for employment permit for extension in the future.

At the moment, I do have a job offer and I’m applying for a permit but that will take a few months to one through. Can I work in the meantime without a work permit with my IRP and the original letter from the Department?
I’d highly appreciate your help.

kupuser
Ireland

Re: Stamp 1 and work permit

Post by kupuser » Tue Dec 15, 2020 9:26 am

Hi,

I was granted a similar permission for 6 months but I was already in an employment and immigration department knew of it (I had told them) so they added a sentence that I can continue working while on this stamp and while I await granting of a work permit.

It depends on what your letter says. Does it mention that in the meantime you can enter employment? or does it clearly say you can't work without a permit?

When I went to the INIS office to get my passport stamped and IRP card issued the stamp on my passport and the IRP card said I needed to obtain work permit. When I asked the staff they said you can still work during this stamp without a permit as long as your permission letter says so and they told me to show my employer that letter as a proof or right of employment.

I would suggest you request your relevant immigration department to explain (or maybe ask INIS office staff when you get there for the stamp).

ch123

Post by ch123 » Tue Dec 15, 2020 10:14 am

Thanks for your reply. The letter from INIS says that this stamp 1 is given to me to take up a job offer (already available to me) and to enable an employer to apply for a work permit for me later in order for me to extend the permission after 6 months. The immigration officer has registered me and given me IRP.

Does it mean I can take up the job offer and start working and apply for a permit within 6 months?

Also, since I am a visa required non-EU national, can I travel with stamp 1 IRP or does the immigration at the airport require you to have a permit in addition to your IRP?

Thanks.

kupuser
Ireland

Post by kupuser » Tue Dec 15, 2020 11:14 am

On the last page of my letter it said "The certificate of registration, together with this letter granting you temporary permission, will entitle you to work in the State whilst awaiting the securement of an appropriate Employment Permit to meet your working needs."

Does yours have something similar?

Even if it doesn't, it still seems to me that you can work while awaiting for the permit. Especially as it is temporary and specifically to take up a job offer. I would send your relevant department an email (in my case it was repatriation division) a letter to confirm this. The only issue you might have is if your employer questions your right to work based on the letter. If you have something clearly written you can show them to solve any issues.