ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Foreign Birth Registration

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

DanaMarie
Ireland

Re: Foreign Birth Registration

Post by DanaMarie » Thu Dec 17, 2020 11:22 am

jgclancy wrote:
Wed Dec 16, 2020 2:49 pm
That day finally arrived. I received the confirm return mail address e-mail yesterday Dec 15 2020. I'm a June 27th 2019 application .Will update when " added to the FBR\ docs mailed back" e-mail arrives.
Good luck to all still waiting. A p8nt was drunk 😀

A grateful jgclancy
Huge congrats!! Welcome to the fold! Waiting for your approval was one of the main reasons I've still been hanging around this thread.

JaneKnits
Newly Registered
United States of America

Post by JaneKnits » Thu Dec 17, 2020 1:38 pm

Hello again!

Well, it's official. I got the "Congratulations, application for Irish citizenship through entry on the FBR has been successful" email today. (at 2:48 eastern standard time, Norfolk VA) :D

It also said that the certificate has been printed and posted -- so it seems as if maybe they're trying to streamline/speed things up instead of individual emails at each step.

I'll be tipping back a Guinness or two tonight! And many thanks to all of you, and also to my grandfather who probably would find it amusing that I was becoming an Irish citizen.

On a side note, I wanted to get my Irish citizenship for a long time but procrastinated - looking back, I do wish I'd done it earlier though I am not presently in a position to move to Ireland/EU as I am the primary/only caregiver for my mom. However, I particularly wanted to become a citizen because I am hoping to retire overseas - not 100% sure exactly where I'll end up but having an Irish passport opens more opportunities to check places out over time -- otherwise, it's 6 months and you've got to come back to US. It also would allow me to work in the EU - which may also be on the cards. Everyone has their reasons -- all valid.

Good luck to those still waiting and be well!

Slainte!
Jane

My Timeline Updated Dec 17, 2020:
21/08/2019 -- FBR Application online/paid fee
30/08/2019 -- Mailed/registered all documents
05/09/2019 -- E-mail from FBR office confirming receipt of my documents
03/12/2020 -- E-mail for address confirmation and FBR application will be approved shortly!
17/12/2020 -- Entered into FBR, certificate printed and FBR mailed
TBD -- FBR received
TBD -- Passport application process started
TBD -- Passport received

V3rvangen
Newly Registered

Post by V3rvangen » Thu Dec 17, 2020 2:08 pm

Congratulations to everyone whose received their emails/certificates the last few weeks, definitely seems to be speeding up a bit.

My application was received on 2nd February 2020, so given it seems that they're currently processing July-September, looks like I can expect to hear something any time from May - August 2021, barring any more lockdowns or massive rush of applications posted around the same time as mine, when Brexit was looming.

It's definitely irritating knowing that I could have been getting mine any week now within the original 9-12 months, but I keep reminding myself how lucky I am, and how generous Ireland is in allowing these citizenship applications. The FBR office is no doubt working full steam in these unprecedented times.

I don't need my citizenship until I go to study abroad next September, fingers crossed that I'll have it by then!

Good luck to everyone!

jgclancy
Member of Standing
United States of America

Post by jgclancy » Thu Dec 17, 2020 2:49 pm

DanaMarie wrote:
Thu Dec 17, 2020 11:22 am
jgclancy wrote:
That day finally arrived. I received the confirm return mail address e-mail yesterday Dec 15 2020. I'm a June 27th 2019 application .Will update when " added to the FBR\ docs mailed back" e-mail arrives.

A grateful jgclancy
Huge congrats!! Welcome to the fold! Waiting for your approval was one of the main reasons I've still been hanging around this thread.
Thanks! - Yeah....I'll stay on watching for a few others as well. Been a long journey and any updates will help others ....especially to be patient.
jgclancy

jade72
Newly Registered

Post by jade72 » Thu Dec 17, 2020 4:00 pm

The previous thread had some good advice, it's really nice to see that another thread has been opened.
Been looking for some answers with Immigration Lawyer Dublin.
Will post as soon as I have some concrete news.

UncleBud
United States of America

Post by UncleBud » Thu Dec 17, 2020 5:13 pm

Greetings Everyone! Long time lurker here, with positive news to share:

FBR Documents Accepted: 27 September 2019
FBR Confirmation of Address Email: 17 December 2020
FBR Congratulations Email:
FBR Certificate Received:

The kind people in Dublin are working hard to clear the backlog! :D

Fbrlad
Aruba

Post by Fbrlad » Thu Dec 17, 2020 5:20 pm

UncleBud wrote:
Thu Dec 17, 2020 5:13 pm
Greetings Everyone! Long time lurker here, with positive news to share:

FBR Documents Accepted: 27 September 2019
FBR Confirmation of Address Email: 17 December 2020

The kind people in Dublin are working hard to clear the backlog! :D
Congrats!

Iamsouthy
Newly Registered
Canada

Post by Iamsouthy » Thu Dec 17, 2020 6:06 pm

Please help! It's been 22 months into the process and now they're trying to return my documentation.

So I am 99% of the way done, the only issue is, the FBR Office will NOT accept a LEGAL DNA Test as a link between my father and grandpa. They want my dads original birth certificate with my grandpas name on it, but he is NOT on it. He wasn't even married or with my grandma when my dad was born. Has anyone had this issue before?

I am trying to find and meet my grandpa to add his name to my dads birth certificate, then I get my Irish citizenship. The DNA test is a 100% match between my dad and grandpa.

Please help, it's such a hard situation. I just don't understand the FBR logic for this.

Mr_Knight
Mood:

Post by Mr_Knight » Thu Dec 17, 2020 9:21 pm

Iamsouthy wrote:
Thu Dec 17, 2020 6:06 pm
Please help! It's been 22 months into the process and now they're trying to return my documentation.

So I am 99% of the way done, the only issue is, the FBR Office will NOT accept a LEGAL DNA Test as a link between my father and grandpa. They want my dads original birth certificate with my grandpas name on it, but he is NOT on it. He wasn't even married or with my grandma when my dad was born. Has anyone had this issue before?

I am trying to find and meet my grandpa to add his name to my dads birth certificate, then I get my Irish citizenship. The DNA test is a 100% match between my dad and grandpa.

Please help, it's such a hard situation. I just don't understand the FBR logic for this.
Where did you get the 99% figure from? This sounds like a major complicated issue. Parents dont have to be married to be named in a birth certificate & most countries dont allow birth records to be changed. Also you are trying to "find and meet" your own grandfather? There are many levels of discrepancy in what you have said. I'm not surprised they would reject your application. Sorry.

andrewberry
Newly Registered
United States of America

Post by andrewberry » Fri Dec 18, 2020 3:33 am

Iamsouthy, I'm not sure where the birth of your father occurred, but I do know there are definitely processes for establishing paternity in situations such as inheritance by intestate succession. I know where I live (in Tennessee, USA) there are multiple ways to amend birth records, with the most "powerful" being by filing a complaint and obtaining a court order to amend the birth certificate. This happens somewhat regularly, normally in the context of inheritance.
I'm not sure that it can be done in your jurisdiction. I'm also not saying it would be super easy (or free), but I seriously doubt there is absolutely nothing that can be done to establish your father's paternity.

On the FBR/Irish side of things, we amended my grandfather's 1867 Irish civil birth record to include his first name, as it was not listed on the civil birth record. Only the parish registry had both the first and last name. I know this is different than what you are facing, but just wanted to let you know there are likely processes in Ireland too (or that Ireland might likely accept, such as a court order/birth certificate amended by court order). Good luck.

Iamsouthy
Newly Registered
Canada

Post by Iamsouthy » Fri Dec 18, 2020 6:26 am

Ah, I went back and read what I typed, it didn't make perfect sense.

I've met my grandfather and had him do a legal DNA test that is admissible in courts and was said to work for citizenship purposes as well. The test came back as a match.

My grandfather isn't on the birth certificate, but I called Service Ontario, so they're sending me documents to amend the birth certificate to add my grandfather onto it. So I called my grandfather (havent talked since 2019 DNA test), asked him to meet and sign a paper for my citizenship. I'm hoping we can come to an agreeance, meaning I would only use the birth certificate for my citizenship and wouldn't use it for inheritance purposes.

If he doesn't agree, I'll have to get the court order, which would cost the both of us, so hopefully I don't have to take that route.

In the meantime, a supervisor at the FBR office tried to tell me to request a refund and that he will mail back my documents, and try to reapply in the future. I basically told him that's not going to happen after waiting 22 months. I had been told several times by FBR staff and the Irish Embassy in Ottawa a Legal DNA test would have been accepted.

So I won't give up being this close.

ronaldbutterbean
Newly Registered
Christmas Island

Post by ronaldbutterbean » Sat Dec 19, 2020 11:36 am

Mailed document from usa on Oct 12 2020
FBR Documents Accepted: Dec 1 2020
FBR Confirmation of Address Email:

BigDaddy100
United States of America

Post by BigDaddy100 » Sat Dec 19, 2020 12:40 pm

jgclancy wrote:
Thu Dec 17, 2020 2:49 pm
DanaMarie wrote:
jgclancy wrote:

A grateful jgclancy
Thanks! - Yeah....I'll stay on watching for a few others as well. Been a long journey and any updates will help others ....especially to be patient.
jgclancy
Congrats to you jgclancy! Happy to see the June/July cohort getting good news these days. Such happiness (and relief) when that confirmation lands in the inbox. Cheers!

BigDaddy100
United States of America

Post by BigDaddy100 » Sat Dec 19, 2020 12:53 pm

ct101 wrote:
Wed Dec 16, 2020 4:37 pm
Has anyone received a tracking number with their email letting them know that the certificate has been posted?
After I responded to the address confirmation email, the person who sent it to me replied with a tracking number and told me that approval would happen later that day.

It took at least a few days before the number appeared in An Post, and at least a week before it arrived in the U.S. (JFK). It sat in customs for about a week before USPS started updating the tracking status as it travelled to the west coast. I was added to the FBR on September 25th, and the certificate was delivered on October 20th. Good luck to you!

jgclancy
Member of Standing
United States of America

Post by jgclancy » Sat Dec 19, 2020 3:14 pm

BigDaddy100 wrote:
Sat Dec 19, 2020 12:40 pm
jgclancy wrote:
Thu Dec 17, 2020 2:49 pm
DanaMarie wrote:
jgclancy wrote:

A grateful jgclancy
jgclancy
Congrats to you jgclancy! Happy to see the June/July cohort getting good news these days. Such happiness (and relief) when that confirmation lands in the inbox. Cheers!
Thanks Big Daddy! - Yes...I had planned to finally contact them if nothing in December but then the email came. Then came my happy dance through the house 😀 Now I wait a little more for certificate but no hurry . - hopefully Ill be in Ireland later this year. The Fields of Rinnagowna call to me
jgclancy

dublin3
- thin ice -

Post by dublin3 » Sun Dec 20, 2020 7:50 am

Fbrlad wrote:
Wed Dec 16, 2020 1:17 pm
Congrats both of you! Im same in same week.. inwill sit tight now and keep my fingers crossed to get mine too.

Dunlin3: how old your son was at application time? Just to see if age determines the photo need
I am sorry as I have only seen your comment today.
My son was 1 year and four months old when I send in the application. It took them one and half year to approve it. They didn’t ask for new photos.
Previously when I applied for my daughter’s fbr in 2017 at the end of process they took new photos as the application took well over two years.
All the best

Fbrlad
Aruba

Post by Fbrlad » Sun Dec 20, 2020 12:18 pm

dublin3 wrote:
Sun Dec 20, 2020 7:50 am
Fbrlad wrote:
Wed Dec 16, 2020 1:17 pm
Congrats both of you! Im same in same week.. inwill sit tight now and keep my fingers crossed to get mine too.

Dunlin3: how old your son was at application time? Just to see if age determines the photo need
I am sorry as I have only seen your comment today.
My son was 1 year and four months old when I send in the application. It took them one and half year to approve it. They didn’t ask for new photos.
Previously when I applied for my daughter’s fbr in 2017 at the end of process they took new photos as the application took well over two years.
All the best
Thanks Dublin3 and no worries. When I applied my son was on 1 day old so Im 100% sure now they will ask for new photos. Im not looking forward for extra unnecessary delays

JuniorBatman
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by JuniorBatman » Sun Dec 20, 2020 8:37 pm

ronaldbutterbean wrote:
Sat Dec 19, 2020 11:36 am
Mailed document from usa on Oct 12 2020
FBR Documents Accepted: Dec 1 2020
FBR Confirmation of Address Email:
A long wait ahead for you, but welcome to the forum!

duffy1867

Post by duffy1867 » Sun Dec 20, 2020 10:46 pm

Hello Folks;

Learned a lot from this forum (so huge thanks), little late to update, but...

Application sent: 21.2.20
Documents received: 25.2.2020
Address confirmation: pending
Added to FBR: pending
Certificate printed: pending

When I first applied I was expecting November / December 2020, but now I am thinking May 2021 or after. We shall see!

Good Luck all

bobrayner
Newly Registered

Post by bobrayner » Mon Dec 21, 2020 11:31 am

At last, a result!
05/11/2018 - FBR paperwork posted, fee paid online. DFA website said it would take "up to 6 months".
12/03/2019 - Email from DFA confirming they received the application.
20/10/2020 - Request for clarification, they wanted more documentation to prove the chain of ancestry.
21/12/2020 - Entered on FBR, certificate printed & posted, without any separate email checking my address.

Next steps: When the certificate arrives, I'll apply for a passport. In any other situation I'd worry about an organisation that wants to keep my previous passport for weeks/months, but international travel is impossible during the plague...

Good luck, everyone!

V3rvangen
Newly Registered

Post by V3rvangen » Mon Dec 21, 2020 12:31 pm

bobrayner wrote:
Mon Dec 21, 2020 11:31 am
At last, a result!
05/11/2018 - FBR paperwork posted, fee paid online. DFA website said it would take "up to 6 months".
20/10/2020 - Request for clarification, they wanted more documentation to prove the chain of ancestry.
21/12/2020 - Entered on FBR, certificate printed & posted, without any separate email checking my address.

Next steps: When the certificate arrives, I'll apply for a passport. In any other situation I'd worry about an organisation that wants to keep my previous passport for weeks/months, but international travel is impossible during the plague...

Good luck, everyone!
Wow that was a long application time! Congratulations, and I hope your passport application goes speedier.
May I ask what extra documentation they asked for?

spicer93
Newly Registered

Post by spicer93 » Mon Dec 21, 2020 2:12 pm

Hi all! I'm applying for FBR for both me and my brother. I'm encouraged by other September 2019 applicants now getting some good news, though still nothing from Dublin for us yet. I was hoping to get citizenship before the end of Brexit Transition but maybe not too long to wait now.

My timeline:

FBR Documents Sent: 21 September 2019
FBR Documents Received: 26 September 2019
FBR Confirmation of Address Email: Pending
FBR Congratulations Email: Pending
FBR Certificate Received: Pending

Doddyod
Newly Registered

Post by Doddyod » Mon Dec 21, 2020 3:47 pm

Kiss me, I’m Irish!!!!

FBR Documents Accepted: 6th June 2019
FBR Confirmation of Address Email: 16th Oct 2020
FBR Congratulations Email: TODAY!!!!!! :-)
FBR Certificate Received: Printed and posted out (no tracking ID yet)

bobrayner
Newly Registered

Post by bobrayner » Mon Dec 21, 2020 6:05 pm

V3rvangen wrote:
Mon Dec 21, 2020 12:31 pm
bobrayner wrote:
Mon Dec 21, 2020 11:31 am
At last, a result!

Good luck, everyone!
Wow that was a long application time! Congratulations, and I hope your passport application goes speedier.
May I ask what extra documentation they asked for?
The delay might have been because it's not a simple application. There was a little extra complexity due to adoption (my Irish grandparents weren't married, so they had their child adopted abroad, which is a little unusual but certainly not unique). DFA asked for more evidence around the adoption - I thought I had proven each step in the chain, but they wanted more.

Or maybe my paperwork just sat at the bottom of a pile in the wrong person's in-tray for a year.

It seems that lots of people are getting results now, which is good!

AntrimGrandchild
United States of America

Post by AntrimGrandchild » Tue Dec 22, 2020 2:13 am

obrienlj wrote:
Wed Dec 16, 2020 4:11 pm
AntrimGrandchild wrote:
Mon Dec 14, 2020 10:58 pm
obrienlj wrote:
Mon Dec 14, 2020 6:26 pm
I received the please confirm address email months ago. Do most people get a response back right away after confirming?
Hi! I just posted a recent message about this. I received a please confirm email and no follow up in October. I got a web chat representative online about two weeks later and she said that I had been added to the FBR already. Response e-mails should be soon after, but I am guessing COVID through everything off. I am guessing you never received your certificate or documents either?? Yikes!
Good news for probably the both of us, I just received an email this morning that says a certificate has been printed and posted to my address. You probably will receive the same email soon too. Unless they are just giving special treatment to Dominicans, which I doubt lol.!
Hello again! This is great news-congrats! I was fully freaked about the documents possibly being lost that I got in touch with the passport that gave me additional email addresses for the FBR. I haven't heard anything else. What was your timeline btw? I would be curious to know how closely it matches with mine. Thanks so much!