ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Citizenship Ceremony cancelled due to Covid-19

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

ellruf
Newly Registered
Russia

Re: Citizenship Ceremony cancelled due to Covid-19

Post by ellruf » Wed Dec 23, 2020 2:38 pm

My timeline..(Westminster Council)
approved 2nd October
received invitation by post 21st Dec
was able to book a ceremony for the earliest date - 26th Jan. No private ceremonies available I was told, only public.

CULLINAN
Respected Guru
Pakistan

Post by CULLINAN » Wed Dec 23, 2020 2:41 pm

Bazaar wrote:
Wed Dec 23, 2020 2:35 pm
@Cullinan hello, are you doing you ceremony with Hounslow council? if online, was it your choice or are they doing now just online ceremonies?

thank you
Virtual ceremony is very new only reported by @Nature11 who attended a virtual ceremony with Hounslow today Dec 23. This is a new development and still unclear if Hounslow is only offering virtual for private bookings or all. I booked my private ceremony on 18th Dec. Was offered an in person private ceremony -mid Jan for £250. Similarly @Nature11 booked private on 18th Dec also but was offered for 23rd Dec for £250, but then changed to virtual ceremony for £125 just on Monday 21st after London went to Tier 4. I am unsure as yet what Hounslow council will follow unless more reports come in or they contact me so I can update further.
Personal opinion only, not to be mistaken for legal advice. Please DO NOT PM me for immigration advice. Love for All, Hatred for None.

Bazaar

Post by Bazaar » Wed Dec 23, 2020 3:33 pm

CULLINAN wrote:
Wed Dec 23, 2020 2:41 pm
Bazaar wrote:
@Cullinan hello, are you doing you ceremony with Hounslow council? if online, was it your choice or are they doing now just online ceremonies?

thank you
Virtual ceremony is very new only reported by @Nature11 who attended a virtual ceremony with Hounslow today Dec 23. This is a new development and still unclear if Hounslow is only offering virtual for private bookings or all. I booked my private ceremony on 18th Dec. Was offered an in person private ceremony -mid Jan for £250. Similarly @Nature11 booked private on 18th Dec also but was offered for 23rd Dec for £250, but then changed to virtual ceremony for £125 just on Monday 21st after London went to Tier 4. I am unsure as yet what Hounslow council will follow unless more reports come in or they contact me so I can update further.
thank you.
But was there a choice of group ceremonies? Are the group ceremonies free? I'm yet to receive an invitation anyway but I wouldn't want to do a virtual ceremony if I had the choice

CULLINAN
Respected Guru
Pakistan

Post by CULLINAN » Wed Dec 23, 2020 3:37 pm

Bazaar wrote:
Wed Dec 23, 2020 3:33 pm
CULLINAN wrote:
Wed Dec 23, 2020 2:41 pm
Bazaar wrote:

thank you
thank you.
But was there a choice of group ceremonies? Are the group ceremonies free? I'm yet to receive an invitation anyway but I wouldn't want to do a virtual ceremony if I had the choice
Group ceremonies were available for free around March end/April start as of 18th Dec.
Personal opinion only, not to be mistaken for legal advice. Please DO NOT PM me for immigration advice. Love for All, Hatred for None.

alexdreame
Newly Registered
Argentina

Post by alexdreame » Wed Dec 23, 2020 5:36 pm

ellruf wrote:
Wed Dec 23, 2020 2:38 pm
approved 2nd October
was able to book a ceremony for the earliest date - 26th Jan. No private ceremonies available I was told, only public.
Thank you so much. I was approved on the 19th of October so hopefully anytime next week or first week of January. I just hope letter doesn't go missing as there will be many letters and cards for Christmas. Did Westminster council ask you for the reference number from the letter when you booked?

CULLINAN
Respected Guru
Pakistan

Post by CULLINAN » Wed Dec 23, 2020 6:44 pm

Musti wrote:
Tue Dec 22, 2020 6:21 pm
Any update?

Nature11
Mood:

Post by Nature11 » Wed Dec 23, 2020 7:07 pm

CULLINAN wrote:
Wed Dec 23, 2020 10:38 am
Nature11 wrote:
Wed Dec 23, 2020 9:21 am
Hi CULLINAN,
I have just attended my virtual ceremony. It hardly takes 10 minute, first they will ask for Invitation letter and photo Id which you need to show ,than someone will call from council to take the payment on phone and sorry it was not £150 its £125 they are charging and once payment have been taken , you can come back to ceremony video...
and the software they are using to attend ceremony is Microsoft team. They will send certificate with special delivery (sign delivery). let me know if you have any questions...
Firstly, Congratulations on becoming a British Citizen. Thank you for the update. Do they provide any instructions how to join the video? Any passwords etc? Which software is it? Can this be downloaded on Apple phone via App store?

Any more news on virtual ceremonies? Is it something new they started on permanent basis or only for private ceremonies?

Thank you.
Thank you CULLINAN, yes you can download on idiot-phone its called MS Team App. Once you have received virtual ceremony invitation you need to accept then you would be able to see invitation in your calendar. on the day of your appointment just click to join meeting that sit.

please see the below instruction.

Please accept the invitation to your citizenship ceremony in the MS Teams app

You will need to click on MS Teams link provided in this email at your appointment time

The MS Teams app can be accessed through Playstore, Apple or web using either a smart phone or compatible device. Please download and install the app and create a log. For more information please see MS Teams : https://teams.microsoft.com/uswe-01/downloads

Your device must have a camera and microphone switched on

Please have your invitation letter issued from the Home Office ready

A valid form of photographic ID is required (e.g. passport, travel document, driving license or biometric residence card) will also be required

Your ceremony cannot proceed without both of the above documents

Your citizenship ceremony will take approximately 15 minutes or less

Your naturalization certificate will be sent to the address on your Home Office invitation letter by secure delivery within 3-5 working days. You will need to sign for delivery

It is not possible for your certificate to be sent to a different address, if you have moved in the meantime you need to inform the Home Office of your new address and your certificate will not be sent until the new address is confirmed by the Home Office

It is not possible to collect your certificate from our office

mrmo93
Mood:
Sweden

Post by mrmo93 » Wed Dec 23, 2020 7:26 pm

Anyone else got their certificates after the sixth of October?

CULLINAN
Respected Guru
Pakistan

Post by CULLINAN » Wed Dec 23, 2020 7:37 pm

Nature11 wrote:
Wed Dec 23, 2020 7:07 pm
Thank you for your reply. Since the council is closed from tomorrow 24th onwards till 4th Jan, I guess, any communication regarding virtual ceremony (if any) will be done later on before my scheduled in person appointment mid Jan. Will update my experience in due course.

ellruf
Newly Registered
Russia

Post by ellruf » Wed Dec 23, 2020 8:44 pm

alexdreame wrote:
Wed Dec 23, 2020 5:36 pm
ellruf wrote:
approved 2nd October
Thank you so much. I was approved on the 19th of October so hopefully anytime next week or first week of January. I just hope letter doesn't go missing as there will be many letters and cards for Christmas. Did Westminster council ask you for the reference number from the letter when you booked?
Really hope for you to get this invitation ASAP... They asked for my reference and they did ask whether I have received an invitation letter. I was counting exactly 12 weeks before i planned to start calling them. Maybe if you call them early next week if you still havent got your invitation to check whether they have received your certificate already? They will ask for your HO ref that you have from the approval letter.

1tarck81
Newly Registered
Hungary

Post by 1tarck81 » Wed Dec 23, 2020 8:51 pm

Hi all, just to update you guys, I received an email that my application was successful on 03 June 2020 but I'm still waiting for my invitation letter. I emailed Southampton City Council many times but they wrote back that they have not received my paperwork from the Home Office so far so they can't book me in for a ceremony.

In Nov/Dec. I blasted nationalitysupportteamfmt@homeoffice.gov.uk with quite a few emails and after the 5th attempt maybe a week ago this email came back to me:

"Thank you for your e-mail. It appears that a system error caused a delay. This has since been rectified and you will be contacted in due.  Please do not contact your Local Authority until you have received your invitation as they will not have your certificate to conduct your ceremony before this. Please accept our apology`s for any delay. Thank you MT Admin Support Nationality Group"

then I asked them to send an email invitation so I can book a ceremony asap but their reply within 24 hours was the following:  "The invitation will be sent in as soon as possible. Obviously, under the current circumstances -COVID-19, the process is taking longer than usual to complete."

In the meantime, I filled out the complaint form I received this today.

"Thank you for your email of 26 November 2020 where you have raised a complaint
about the delay in issuing your British citizenship ceremony invitation letter.
I acknowledge that you have had a lengthy wait and I am sorry for any frustration,
but I am unable to fully uphold your complaint as I should explain that the COVID-19
pandemic has caused severe disruption to our services; and this has inevitably led to
delays which have been down to circumstances beyond our control.
I am aware from our records that you received an email from the Home Office on 22
December (yesterday) confirming that your letter would be sent as soon as possible.
I appreciate that you may be disappointed, but I hope that my response has helped
to explain the position. I believe I have addressed all the points you have raised. However, if you feel that there are specific aspects that have not been addressed you can request a review of our response within one month of the date on this letter by writing to us at: complaintsreview@homeoffice.gov.uk.  Please ensure that you provide us with specific details setting out why you believe review is required. This will enable us to provide you with a full response."

Shall I go further and ask for a review or wait patiently? 

alexdreame
Newly Registered
Argentina

Post by alexdreame » Wed Dec 23, 2020 9:30 pm

ellruf wrote:
Wed Dec 23, 2020 8:44 pm
alexdreame wrote:
Wed Dec 23, 2020 5:36 pm
ellruf wrote:
approved 2nd October
Really hope for you to get this invitation ASAP... They asked for my reference and they did ask whether I have received an invitation letter. I was counting exactly 12 weeks before i planned to start calling them. Maybe if you call them early next week if you still havent got your invitation to check whether they have received your certificate already? They will ask for your HO ref that you have from the approval letter.
Hey, thank you so much for your answer. I will do and will keep you updated. Feeling so close and yet so far :)

naruto
Malta

Post by naruto » Wed Dec 23, 2020 9:35 pm

1tarck81 wrote:
Wed Dec 23, 2020 8:51 pm
Hi all, just to update you guys, I received an email that my application was successful on 03 June 2020 but I'm still waiting for my invitation letter. I emailed Southampton City Council many times but they wrote back that they have not received my paperwork from the Home Office so far so they can't book me in for a ceremony.

In Nov/Dec. I blasted nationalitysupportteamfmt@homeoffice.gov.uk with quite a few emails and after the 5th attempt maybe a week ago this email came back to me:

"Thank you for your e-mail. It appears that a system error caused a delay. This has since been rectified and you will be contacted in due.  Please do not contact your Local Authority until you have received your invitation as they will not have your certificate to conduct your ceremony before this. Please accept our apology`s for any delay. Thank you MT Admin Support Nationality Group"

then I asked them to send an email invitation so I can book a ceremony asap but their reply within 24 hours was the following:  "The invitation will be sent in as soon as possible. Obviously, under the current circumstances -COVID-19, the process is taking longer than usual to complete."

I acknowledge that you have had a lengthy wait and I am sorry for any frustration,
but I am unable to fully uphold your complaint as I should explain that the COVID-19
pandemic has caused severe disruption to our services; and this has inevitably led to
I am aware from our records that you received an email from the Home Office on 22
December (yesterday) confirming that your letter would be sent as soon as possible.
I appreciate that you may be disappointed, but I hope that my response has helped
to explain the position. I believe I have addressed all the points you have raised. However, if you feel that there are specific aspects that have not been addressed you can request a review of our response within one month of the date on this letter by writing to us at: complaintsreview@homeoffice.gov.uk.  Please ensure that you provide us with specific details setting out why you believe review is required. This will enable us to provide you with a full response."

Typical Home Office the worst place on the planet to deal with!!!

What a joke!!!!! They’re so unorganised!!! I hope you get it ASAP.

However you should defo go further and keep chasing them.
LaDolceVita

nnn15

Post by nnn15 » Wed Dec 23, 2020 10:00 pm

1tarck81 wrote:

It sounds like our applications might have been affected by the same issue - I was told there was a "technical problem", to you they mentioned a "system error". Please keep us posted, I'm wondering if they will send the paperwork for all the applications affected by this at the same time.

The HO sent me an email that this issue was investigated as an urgent matter 2.5 weeks ago, but I got no further updates.

I submitted my first complaint in August as by then I was already waiting for the naturalisation certificate for over 4 months. That complaint wasn't upheld, I got a copy paste response telling me to wait 8-12 weeks. I sent an email to Complaints Review flagging that the response didn't address my original question and wasn't case-specific. The Complaints Review group never responded to me. So you can try emailing them, but probably they won't reply. But at least you'll have a paper trail of them not being responsive and you can then reach out to your MP etc.

When 12 weeks expired and I still didn't receive anything, I submitted a complaint on a complaint. I am yet to receive a response. Suspecting they will likely blame covid, I explicitly stated that this cannot be due to the pandemic as paperwork is being issued for other applications, including some with much later submission and approval dates than mine. I will see what they say, but I'm not very hopeful.
Separately, the office of my MP is following up with the HO. The progress has been slow, but at least it's been acknowledged now that there's been some technical problem in the HO system.

If you don't get your paperwork in reasonable time, it might be worth involving your MP. They seem to be powerful enough to get some case-specific response from the HO.

Pimsalma
Newly Registered
Iran

Post by Pimsalma » Wed Dec 23, 2020 10:51 pm

naruto wrote:
Wed Dec 23, 2020 9:35 pm
1tarck81 wrote:

Home Office peoples are not perfect like everyone of us on this planet, but you have zero right to talk about them like that. Show some respect.

naruto
Malta

Post by naruto » Wed Dec 23, 2020 11:56 pm

Pimsalma wrote:
Wed Dec 23, 2020 10:51 pm
naruto wrote:
1tarck81 wrote:

Home Office peoples are not perfect like everyone of us on this planet, but you have zero right to talk about them like that. Show some respect.

First of all that’s my opinion about the home office as an organisation and there’s something called “freedom of speech’’ furthermore I did not disrespect any individual or anyone I’m referring to the home office as an organisation. They can do better then that!!!

6 months waiting for an invitation plus the application process time!!! And how many other frustrated people are going through stress and anxiety because all they asked for is normal human right is getting a status and carry on with their life....

IF MY COMMENT OFFENDED YOU OR ANYONE ELSE IN ANY WAY PLEASE ACCEPT MY APOLOGIES.

Peace and tranquility 🤞
LaDolceVita

Musti
Tunisia

Post by Musti » Thu Dec 24, 2020 1:23 am

CULLINAN wrote:
Wed Dec 23, 2020 6:44 pm
Musti wrote:
Any update?
Not yet bro. Im hoping before they close. I checked their twitter, they're going to shut till the 4th which I dont understand why. I just wana get it over and done with. Btw Cullinan, do you know roughly how long the passport application takes roughly and how fast can you apply after your ceremony, I know theres a thread for it but just asking so I don't got tgrough long posts to figure it out lol. Ill keep you updated but you do the same please bro.

CULLINAN
Respected Guru
Pakistan

Post by CULLINAN » Thu Dec 24, 2020 1:30 am

Musti wrote:
Thu Dec 24, 2020 1:23 am
CULLINAN wrote:
Musti wrote:
Any update?
Not yet bro. Im hoping before they close. I checked their twitter, they're going to shut till the 4th which I dont understand why. I just wana get it over and done with. Btw Cullinan, do you know roughly how long the passport application takes roughly and how fast can you apply after your ceremony, I know theres a thread for it but just asking so I don't got tgrough long posts to figure it out lol. Ill keep you updated but you do the same please bro.
Hmm.. they close tomorrow till the 4th Jan and normal operations start on 11th Jan. I hope they contact you soon. You can apply for passport right after you become British. These days it is taking 2-4 weeks. My cousin and his family (5 people) applied just last month. They all got passports within 2-3 weeks.

Musti
Tunisia

Post by Musti » Thu Dec 24, 2020 1:48 am

CULLINAN wrote:
Thu Dec 24, 2020 1:30 am
Musti wrote:
Thu Dec 24, 2020 1:23 am
CULLINAN wrote:
Musti wrote:
Any update?
Hmm.. they close tomorrow till the 4th Jan and normal operations start on 11th Jan. I hope they contact you soon. You can apply for passport right after you become British. These days it is taking 2-4 weeks. My cousin and his family (5 people) applied just last month. They all got passports within 2-3 weeks.
Well tomorrow is theor last day is im hoping she contacts me tomorrow inn shaa Allah. Can you apply on the very same day or do you need to wait for the council to send you the naturalisation certificate?

CULLINAN
Respected Guru
Pakistan

Post by CULLINAN » Thu Dec 24, 2020 2:04 am

Musti wrote:
Thu Dec 24, 2020 1:48 am
Well tomorrow is theor last day is im hoping she contacts me tomorrow inn shaa Allah. Can you apply on the very same day or do you need to wait for the council to send you the naturalisation certificate?
The HO ceremony invitation letter requests to wait 2 working days before contacting the council (at least mine does) so the certificate can be delivered to the council by then.
Note, they will contact you back when they have your certificate. I contacted them the same day I got the HO invitation though and was lucky that my certificate was with them already, so was contacted promptly.
If they do not contact you tomorrow, there is a possibility that your certificate has not reached the council yet. Given the Christmas high demand for deliveries, postage can take longer. This is just a possibility but I hope they already have your certificate and contact you tomorrow.

For the passport, you need your certificate number to input in the online application form. So either you can request them to tell you that over your ceremony video call (in case virtual) OR otherwise you will have to wait till the certificate arrives to your home address after ceremony.

Note, virtual ceremony is very new development. So not sure if they will carry on with virtual or not. I am expected to attend an in person private ceremony mid Jan, but obviously if they change it to virtual like @Nature11 reported in his case, I would also have to wait till I receive the certificate posted to my home address and can apply for a passport then only.

Please keep us updated. Thanks.

PS: Everything shuts down during festive period so I am in no rush to apply for passport during this time anyways.

bobvana
Newly Registered

Post by bobvana » Thu Dec 24, 2020 2:52 am

I got my acceptance letter on the 6th of October and an invitation letter from the Council (Maidstone) on the 14th on December letting me know that my ceremony is on the 21st of January, but I still haven't received an invitation from the HO.

Anyone who lives in KENT had this same situation?

Shouldn't be you receive the invitation from HO first then you call the council to book a slot?

askmeplz82
Diamond Member

Post by askmeplz82 » Thu Dec 24, 2020 4:01 am

aremis wrote:
Wed Dec 23, 2020 9:58 am
update from ealing council..

Unfortunately, we have not yet received your certificate from the home office.
It may be a couple of weeks/months before this is received due to the coronavirus pandemic.
We are currently still receiving certificates for those who were approved in August.

aremis wrote:
Tue Dec 22, 2020 8:53 am
Eligibility criteria: EU settled Status + 1 year
Date of receipt of approval: 20 October 2020
Invitation : ??
Ceremony : ??

Council Ealing
I am also with Ealing Council. I got Invitation letter from Home Office now I am waiting for another letter from the Ealing council. They told me my certificate is not there yet
UK Student Visa : 04/2004 - 09/2009
EEA Residence Card : 07/2010 - 7/2015
EU Settled Status: Confirmed on 16th July 2019
Naturalisation : Confirmed on 02nd Oct 2020
Passport Approval : 21st Feb 2021

Musti
Tunisia

Post by Musti » Thu Dec 24, 2020 10:16 am

Nature11 wrote:
Mon Dec 21, 2020 6:53 pm
CULLINAN wrote:
Mon Dec 21, 2020 9:36 am
Nature11 wrote:
Sun Dec 20, 2020 1:14 pm
CULLINAN wrote:
Sun Dec 20, 2020 1:34 am

If one has to pay £250, rather pay earlier than later.. hope they offer me an earlier slot to make the money worth spent!!
off course , inform them if any cancellation come up before your date please contact.
Hello @Nature11. I contacted them. They said no earlier date is available as of now but I have left a note in case any cancellation comes up they might contact me.
Also, they did not give any indication of ceremony cancellation in Tier4. As I said previously, your ceremony on 23rd Dec should go ahead as planned. Good luck.
Hi @CULLINAN , Update :I have got call from council they have changed physical ceremony to virtual one. same date and time...
Hey mam, did they just change it out of the blue and called you or you had an emergency?

Cullinan, the lady called me 10 minutes ago. Have to pay 250 for something in January. I asked her abput earlier dates, she said they had none and when I asked about the virtual ceremonies she stated that this was due exceptional circumstances. So got booked for mid January instead.

mrmo93
Mood:
Sweden

Post by mrmo93 » Thu Dec 24, 2020 10:48 am

naruto wrote:
Wed Dec 23, 2020 11:56 pm
Pimsalma wrote:
Wed Dec 23, 2020 10:51 pm
naruto wrote:
1tarck81 wrote:

First of all that’s my opinion about the home office as an organisation and there’s something called “freedom of speech’’ furthermore I did not disrespect any individual or anyone I’m referring to the home office as an organisation. They can do better then that!!!

6 months waiting for an invitation plus the application process time!!! And how many other frustrated people are going through stress and anxiety because all they asked for is normal human right is getting a status and carry on with their life....

IF MY COMMENT OFFENDED YOU OR ANYONE ELSE IN ANY WAY PLEASE ACCEPT MY APOLOGIES.

Peace and tranquility 🤞
Hi Man, Im totally with you!, i agree it is pretty disorganized and it can be improved. a lot like hacing a timeline of the process in the UKVAS website for example. In this crisis they can easily create an online website where you just upload an "oath" or alliegence video and you get the ceremony sent. Instead of this mess.

lifeRockss1

Post by lifeRockss1 » Thu Dec 24, 2020 11:32 am

Got my certificate today, 2 days after online ceremony.

can someone please direct me to the passport foram to seek guidence? I don't seem to find it on the main page.