ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

British citizens/their spouses living in the EU?

Immigration to European countries, don't post UK or Ireland related topics!

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

Noz03

British citizens/their spouses living in the EU?

Post by Noz03 » Sun Dec 27, 2020 6:38 pm

I've heard many places that Brits living in other EU countries (Spain in our case) before Brexit, will be allowed to continue living in those countries with the same rights as before. Although the information never seemed very specific, or concrete, especially without having any deal in place. What I've read in the past also never mentions anything about non-EU spouses of those British citizens.

Now that there is a deal in place, does anyone have any confirmed information about my, and my Turkish partners rights to continue living here? Her residence card is due for updating next year and I am worried that there will be problems.

Obie
Ireland

Re: British citizens/their spouses living in the EU?

Post by Obie » Sun Dec 27, 2020 9:54 pm

You will continue to have right to stay in Spain with your spouse.

She will simply need to update her residence permit with a new permit confirming her rights under the withdrawal agreement.
Smooth seas do not make skilful sailors

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Sun Dec 27, 2020 10:07 pm

Citizen rights were not a part of the Deal agreed last week, but were a part of the Withdrawal Agreement agreed in January 2020. Essentially, British citizens will lose the freedom of movement that they had across the EU and will get effectively land-locked within the country that they reside in on 31st December 2020. That is to say, they will become Third-Country-Nationals with a visa for the EEA member-state that they were resident on that date.

Presumably you reside in Spain, as indicated by your earlier posts. If you search online for "Spain Withdrawal Agreement British citizens", you will find quite a few useful articles on what you need to do next. It appears that you may need to apply for documentation before 31st December 2020, so you probably want to get on top of that.

Here is the UK government's advice on the same topic.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

ALKB
Respected Guru
Germany

Post by ALKB » Mon Dec 28, 2020 11:43 am

Noz03 wrote:
Sun Dec 27, 2020 6:38 pm
I've heard many places that Brits living in other EU countries (Spain in our case) before Brexit, will be allowed to continue living in those countries with the same rights as before. Although the information never seemed very specific, or concrete, especially without having any deal in place. What I've read in the past also never mentions anything about non-EU spouses of those British citizens.

Now that there is a deal in place, does anyone have any confirmed information about my, and my Turkish partners rights to continue living here? Her residence card is due for updating next year and I am worried that there will be problems.
You will need to apply for a TIE (and could have done so since July).

Also, if you haven't done so, yet, get at least the process started to exchange your UK drivers license for a Spanish one before 31st December unless you want to take the tests again. In Spanish.
I am not a regulated immigration advisor. I am offering an opinion and not advice.

Obie
Ireland

Post by Obie » Mon Dec 28, 2020 11:49 am

I believe British license will still be valid in EU after Brexit.
Smooth seas do not make skilful sailors

Casa

Post by Casa » Mon Dec 28, 2020 1:35 pm

Obie wrote:
Mon Dec 28, 2020 11:49 am
I believe British license will still be valid in EU after Brexit.
According to the UK Gov guidance holders of a UK driving licence living in Spain will need to exchange their licence with a Spanish one before the 1st July 2021 or take a driving test (in Spanish).

Spain (including Balearic and Canary Isles)
You can continue to use your licence until 1July 2021. From 1 July 2021 you may need to take a test to exchange your licence. If you hold a licence from Gibraltar, Jersey, Guernsey or the Isle of Man, you should exchange your licence before 1 January 2021; otherwise you may need to take a test.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/driving-in- ... -in-the-eu
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.