ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Citizenship Ceremony cancelled due to Covid-19

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

CULLINAN
Respected Guru
Pakistan

Re: Citizenship Ceremony cancelled due to Covid-19

Post by CULLINAN » Tue Jan 05, 2021 5:16 pm

Not sure what is the logic to cancel ALL ceremonies as reported by previous members - by Kent and Glasgow?

Gov website says:
Weddings, civil partnerships, religious services and funerals
Weddings, civil partnership ceremonies and funerals are allowed with strict limits on attendance, and must only take place in COVID-19 secure venues or in public outdoor spaces unless in exceptional circumstances.

Funerals can be attended by a maximum of 30 people. Linked religious, belief-based or commemorative events, such as stone settings and ash scatterings can also continue with up to 6 people in attendance. Anyone working is not counted in these limits. Social distancing should be maintained between people who do not live together or share a support bubble.

Weddings and civil partnership ceremonies must only take place with up to 6 people. Anyone working is not included. These should only take place in exceptional circumstances, for example, an urgent marriage where one of those getting married is seriously ill and not expected to recover, or is to undergo debilitating treatment or life-changing surgery.
So why can not individual ceremonies go ahead?

Or it is kent and glasgow cancelled group ceremonies?
Personal opinion only, not to be mistaken for legal advice. Please DO NOT PM me for immigration advice. Love for All, Hatred for None.

successorxx
Newly Registered
Nigeria

Post by successorxx » Tue Jan 05, 2021 5:26 pm

CULLINAN wrote:
Tue Jan 05, 2021 5:16 pm
Not sure what is the logic to cancel ALL ceremonies as reported by previous members - by Kent and Glasgow?

Gov website says:
Weddings, civil partnership ceremonies and funerals are allowed with strict limits on attendance, and must only take place in COVID-19 secure venues or in public outdoor spaces unless in exceptional circumstances.

Funerals can be attended by a maximum of 30 people. Linked religious, belief-based or commemorative events, such as stone settings and ash scatterings can also continue with up to 6 people in attendance. Anyone working is not counted in these limits. Social distancing should be maintained between people who do not live together or share a support bubble.

Weddings and civil partnership ceremonies must only take place with up to 6 people. Anyone working is not included. These should only take place in exceptional circumstances, for example, an urgent marriage where one of those getting married is seriously ill and not expected to recover, or is to undergo debilitating treatment or life-changing surgery.

Hey Cullinan,

Here is the copy of the email I received 30 mins from Kent Council

Hi xxx

Thank you for your email.

We have not yet received any certificates from the Home Office and I am not sure when the Home Office will resume sending out certificates following the national lockdown.

In light of yesterday’s government national lockdown announcement, all Citizenship ceremonies have now been cancelled.

I will email you, once I receive your certificate.

CULLINAN
Respected Guru
Pakistan

Post by CULLINAN » Tue Jan 05, 2021 5:29 pm

Hmm.. I think different councils are taking different approach. Some councils updated that pre-booked citizenship ceremonies will go ahead as planned. :shock:
Personal opinion only, not to be mistaken for legal advice. Please DO NOT PM me for immigration advice. Love for All, Hatred for None.

Musti
Tunisia

Post by Musti » Tue Jan 05, 2021 5:41 pm

CULLINAN wrote:
Tue Jan 05, 2021 2:35 pm
Service disruption
While England is under a National Lockdown, the Register Office will remain open for pre-approved appointments only. To book an appointment to register a death over the telephone, register a birth, give notice of intention to marry or enter into a civil partnership or to book a public or private citizenship ceremony, please follow the guidelines below.

Wedding and civil partnership ceremonies are not permitted to take place unless under extuniating circumstances as outlined by Government. We will be contacting couples with ceremonies who might be affected.

Some councils are updating their websites with similar message i.e. pre- approved ceremonies.

I believe private ceremonies will go ahead but group ceremonies maybe impacted and overall availability maybe hampered for both.
Hey bro is it the same for me and you? Any updates from Hounslow?

Musti
Tunisia

Post by Musti » Tue Jan 05, 2021 5:45 pm

successorxx wrote:
Tue Jan 05, 2021 5:26 pm
CULLINAN wrote:

Gov website says:

Hey Cullinan,

Here is the copy of the email I received 30 mins from Kent Council

Hi xxx

Thank you for your email.

We have not yet received any certificates from the Home Office and I am not sure when the Home Office will resume sending out certificates following the national lockdown.

In light of yesterday’s government national lockdown announcement, all Citizenship ceremonies have now been cancelled.

I will email you, once I receive your certificate.
If I were you then I'd email the council complaining about it. I remember previously some councils tried cancelling ceremonies and a few members contacted them with evidence from government websites and other councils still doong ceremonies and they eventually started doing ceremonies again. I'd advise any members of areas affected to contact their councils and show them the government guidelines regarding citizenship ceremonies

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Tue Jan 05, 2021 5:49 pm

CULLINAN wrote:

Gov website says:

In the list above, I would equate citizenship ceremonies with weddings and civil partnerships rather than with funerals (there is generally no alternative to a funeral, whereas weddings, civil partnerships and citizenship ceremonies can be postponed as all or most participants will likely remain alive).

The article you quote from itself states that "[t]hese should only take place in exceptional circumstances". Given that there is nothing exceptional about British citizenship while the person lives within the UK (as I have pointed out earlier), I imagine that many councils will look at postponing any in-person citizenship ceremonies.

Those that have organised virtual ceremonies may continue with the procedure. But keep in mind that the council staff still have to attend the ceremony, most likely from their workplace, and so some councils with virtual ceremonies may also choose to cancel their ceremonies.

Ah, the joys of devolution, with each sub-national entity (in this case, each council) making its own rules.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

Luna149

Post by Luna149 » Tue Jan 05, 2021 5:55 pm

CULLINAN wrote:

Gov website says:

This right but they said (unless in exceptional circumstances.)

I don’t think the ceremony important to them as they don’t care about people and how long they wait!!

I could see today everyone has a different answer from their city council which is ridiculous.

For me I called two councils and they advised that ( we still not receive any update regarding the citizenship ceremony) no idea what’s going on

No one can help you with your questions at all

CULLINAN
Respected Guru
Pakistan

Post by CULLINAN » Tue Jan 05, 2021 6:23 pm

secret.simon wrote:
Tue Jan 05, 2021 5:49 pm
CULLINAN wrote:

Gov website says:

In the list above, I would equate citizenship ceremonies with weddings and civil partnerships rather than with funerals (there is generally no alternative to a funeral, whereas weddings, civil partnerships and citizenship ceremonies can be postponed as all or most participants will likely remain alive).

The article you quote from itself states that "[t]hese should only take place in exceptional circumstances". Given that there is nothing exceptional about British citizenship while the person lives within the UK (as I have pointed out earlier), I imagine that many councils will look at postponing any in-person citizenship ceremonies.

Those that have organised virtual ceremonies may continue with the procedure. But keep in mind that the council staff still have to attend the ceremony, most likely from their workplace, and so some councils with virtual ceremonies may also choose to cancel their ceremonies.

Ah, the joys of devolution, with each sub-national entity (in this case, each council) making its own rules.
I agree but different councils seem to have taken different approach as their websites are updated today. Seems like many councils are going ahead with citizenship ceremonies.

CULLINAN
Respected Guru
Pakistan

Post by CULLINAN » Tue Jan 05, 2021 6:23 pm

Musti wrote:
Tue Jan 05, 2021 5:41 pm
CULLINAN wrote:
Tue Jan 05, 2021 2:35 pm
Service disruption
While England is under a National Lockdown, the Register Office will remain open for pre-approved appointments only. To book an appointment to register a death over the telephone, register a birth, give notice of intention to marry or enter into a civil partnership or to book a public or private citizenship ceremony, please follow the guidelines below.

Wedding and civil partnership ceremonies are not permitted to take place unless under extuniating circumstances as outlined by Government. We will be contacting couples with ceremonies who might be affected.

Some councils are updating their websites with similar message i.e. pre- approved ceremonies.

I believe private ceremonies will go ahead but group ceremonies maybe impacted and overall availability maybe hampered for both.
Hey bro is it the same for me and you? Any updates from Hounslow?
Not yet. You are on 12th, I am on 15th Jan. You should be the one updating us first ;)

CULLINAN
Respected Guru
Pakistan

Post by CULLINAN » Tue Jan 05, 2021 6:26 pm

Public services
The majority of public services will continue and you will be able to leave home to visit them. These include:
● theNHSandmedicalserviceslikeGPsanddentists.Weare supporting the NHS to carry out urgent and non-urgent services safely, and it is vital anyone who thinks they need any kind of medical care comes forward and seeks help
● JobcentrePlussites
● courtsandprobationservices
● civilregistrationsoffices
● passportandvisaservices
● servicesprovidedtovictims
● wasteorrecyclingcentres
● gettinganMOT,ifyouneedtodrivewhenlawfullyleaving
home
Last page:

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.u ... idance.pdf

Flamelily2020
Newly Registered
Afghanistan

Post by Flamelily2020 » Tue Jan 05, 2021 7:17 pm

I agree but different councils seem to have taken different approach as their websites are updated today. Seems like many councils are going ahead with citizenship ceremonies.
Hi cullinan,

Lewisham council announcement:

(It is with regret that due to further COVID-19 restrictions all citizenship ceremonies are suspended until further notice.
All postponed citizenship ceremonies will take priority when restrictions are lifted and we hope to make extra availability to cover this.)

CULLINAN
Respected Guru
Pakistan

Post by CULLINAN » Tue Jan 05, 2021 7:46 pm

Does anyone know that the councils who are cancelling ceremonies had virtual ceremonies in place previously? Kent, Glasgow, Lewisham as reported?

Barely the backlog was about to subside and now this lockdown will make it a mess again.

CULLINAN
Respected Guru
Pakistan

Post by CULLINAN » Tue Jan 05, 2021 8:08 pm

Westminster Council
Coronavirus information

Due to the current lockdown public group citizenship ceremonies have been suspended until further notice.

Private citizenship ceremonies are currently being offered virtually through Zoom and not in a face-to-face setting. If you would like to make a booking for a virtual private citizenship ceremony, you can request this by emailing your name, home office reference number and mobile number to our team at registeroffice@westminster.gov.uk. A member of the team will then contact you to book a virtual private citizenship ceremony. Prior to the virtual private citizenship ceremony you will receive the Zoom ceremony meeting link to access on the day.
I am assuming private ceremonies and councils offering virtual ceremonies probably will go ahead as planned. But again all councils seem to make their own decisions.

nnn15

Post by nnn15 » Tue Jan 05, 2021 8:14 pm

successorxx wrote:
Tue Jan 05, 2021 12:34 pm
nnn15 wrote:
Mon Jan 04, 2021 5:24 pm
If someone who's paperwork issuance was affected by the "system error" receives a ceremony invitation letter or naturalisation certificate, could you please post here?

My application was approved in March 2020, naturalisation certificate still hasn't been printed. After the HO confirmed that the paperwork for all applications approved through August has been printed and despatched, I submitted a complaint at the HO website as my paperwork hasn't arrived. Their service standard is 20 working days, it's been over a month and the HO hasn't responded to my complaint.
I did get a response to one of the emails I sent to citizenship.support in early December, they quoted a "technical problem" that they were investigating as an urgent matter, but I received no updates after.
I will just advise you contact your MP waiting since March is ridiculous....They don’t reply emails anymore
My MP submitted 4 enquiries, the earliest in September. And despite there is still very little progress. It took the HO 5 months to acknowledge there was a "technical problem". I hope it won't take that long to resolve it.

Ritchie12
Mood:
South Africa

Post by Ritchie12 » Tue Jan 05, 2021 10:19 pm

CULLINAN wrote:
Fri Jan 01, 2021 2:21 pm
Bikerboy86 wrote:
Fri Jan 01, 2021 2:18 pm
Desmond123 wrote:
Thu Dec 31, 2020 4:01 pm
I just received my ceremony invitation via email, I was approved in October 20th and been waiting for so long. This morning about 2am I had to send an email adress. nationalityfrontendtechnicalspecialists@homeoffice.gov.uk. And I got a reply that they would get back to me with 20 working days.And about 11:30 this morning I received the invitation via email .Is there anyone know how Manchester council do about the ceremony,please kindly get back.I wish everyone best of luck.
Dear Desmond

Did you receive invitation email from nationalityfrontendtechnicalspecialists@homeoffice.gov.uk??
It comes from:

home.office.atlas@notifications.service.gov.uk
@CULLINAN, have you received your ceremony invitation?

CULLINAN
Respected Guru
Pakistan

Post by CULLINAN » Tue Jan 05, 2021 10:41 pm

Ritchie12 wrote:
Tue Jan 05, 2021 10:19 pm
Yes, I received it on Dec 18th.

hiddenaudience
Newly Registered

Post by hiddenaudience » Tue Jan 05, 2021 10:56 pm

Manchester Council is still conducting Citizenship Ceremonies for both private and group ceremonies. Will update you next week. In Shaa Allah.

CULLINAN
Respected Guru
Pakistan

Post by CULLINAN » Tue Jan 05, 2021 11:38 pm

hiddenaudience wrote:
Tue Jan 05, 2021 10:56 pm
Manchester Council is still conducting Citizenship Ceremonies for both private and group ceremonies. Will update you next week. In Shaa Allah.
Glad to know. Hopefully Hounslow will carry on too as they did in Tier 4 lockdown since Dec 20th as many councils have adapted to virtual/covid secure venues. Fingers crossed.

I believe yours is on 13/1?

OZ3
Newly Registered
Mood:
Iran

Post by OZ3 » Wed Jan 06, 2021 12:58 am

Greenwich Lockdown update: 5 Jan 2021
Due to the national lockdown, Marriages and Civil Partnership ceremonies are currently suspended.

However, should there be exceptional circumstances such as; a serious illness and not expected to recover, or is to undergo debilitating treatment or life-changing surgery, then please contact the registrar's office on registrar@royalgreenwich.gov.uk outlining your reasons why a marriage or civil partnership needs to take place as a matter of urgency.

Ceremonies under the new guidance can take place with a maximum of six people. This does not include the registration staff.

debrancherenzym

Post by debrancherenzym » Wed Jan 06, 2021 7:26 am

CULLINAN wrote:
Tue Jan 05, 2021 10:41 pm
Ritchie12 wrote:
Just a question please, once you receive your approval for Naturalisation, is the ceremony letter sent automatically by council? or do you have to prompt the council for it etc. I did search the forum but was just double checking :?: Hope your ceremony went well Cullinan

avduk
Newly Registered
Mood:
India

Post by avduk » Wed Jan 06, 2021 8:56 am

CULLINAN wrote:
Tue Jan 05, 2021 11:38 pm
hiddenaudience wrote:
Tue Jan 05, 2021 10:56 pm
Glad to know. Hopefully Hounslow will carry on too as they did in Tier 4 lockdown since Dec 20th as many councils have adapted to virtual/covid secure venues. Fingers crossed.

I believe yours is on 13/1?
Hi Cullinan , Yes Hounslow is conducting virtual ceremonies and mine is booked for Jan 8 ,this Friday. Initially scheduled for March 17(Group) but I have changed to earliest private ceremony by mailing them to request change of date

avduk
Newly Registered
Mood:
India

Post by avduk » Wed Jan 06, 2021 9:47 am

debrancherenzym wrote:
Wed Jan 06, 2021 7:26 am
CULLINAN wrote:
Ritchie12 wrote:
Just a question please, once you receive your approval for Naturalisation, is the ceremony letter sent automatically by council? or do you have to prompt the council for it etc. I did search the forum but was just double checking :?: Hope your ceremony went well Cullinan
Ceremony invitation is sent by HomeOffice and then You will need to contact local Council to schedule ceremony date with details from Invitation letter sent by HO

aswadi
Newly Registered
United Arab Emirates

Post by aswadi » Wed Jan 06, 2021 9:56 am

Luna149 wrote:
Tue Jan 05, 2021 5:09 pm
Anyone can help please.

On my application form I mention that I would like to take ceremony at Liverpool, I live in Warrior which is different city.

My approval on 14th October and I don’t know which council they will send my invitation letter

I called them today 3 times and nobody helped me they don’t know anything. I wonder I ask who’s?

No travel between city at the moment? Please if anyone can can help
I would also appreciate any insight as to whether the council selected in the naturalisation application is definitely where they will send the certificate. Has anyone not had their choice respected?

debrancherenzym

Post by debrancherenzym » Wed Jan 06, 2021 9:59 am

avduk wrote:
Wed Jan 06, 2021 9:47 am
debrancherenzym wrote:
Wed Jan 06, 2021 7:26 am
CULLINAN wrote:
Ritchie12 wrote:
Ceremony invitation is sent by HomeOffice and then You will need to contact local Council to schedule ceremony date with details from Invitation letter sent by HO
Cheers for the response :)

mrmo93
Mood:
Sweden

Post by mrmo93 » Wed Jan 06, 2021 10:21 am

I guess we wont expect any nwes till the 11th