ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Foreign Birth Registration

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

DanaMarie
Ireland

Re: Foreign Birth Registration

Post by DanaMarie » Wed Jan 06, 2021 11:48 am

Rwmc6 wrote:
Tue Jan 05, 2021 1:55 pm
What normally happens if your address has changed since you initially applied. When you receive the address confirmation email, and you provide a new address do they ask you to send proof?

Is there anything you can do to change your address now or better waiting on the email?
I contacted the FBR section to proactively change my address after I moved and they told me to wait until I received an email to confirm my address, they don't update addresses until they are in the final stages of approval. So yes, you just have to wait. I suspect that's because the process takes so long there's the possibility people move more than once during the time so it saves them having to make multiple changes.

JonJon
Newly Registered

Post by JonJon » Wed Jan 06, 2021 4:49 pm

I'm in the same situation. I'm a July 2019 applicant and got my confirmation of address email on 11 December 2020. I replied within minutes, but I haven't heard anything since. We know the reason for that so I'm not particularly worried. I don't really expect to have the passport in my hand much before the summer.

Lisahari
Newly Registered

Post by Lisahari » Thu Jan 07, 2021 12:14 pm

You are giving me hope! I posted mine in September 2019 and got an email acknowledgment at the time, but not heard anything since. However, as some of you other Sept 19 people are getting news, that’s made me hopeful!

derekkn
Newly Registered

Post by derekkn » Thu Jan 07, 2021 1:10 pm

Hi all

Just so others can gauge their progress:

Confirmation of documents in Balbriggan: 21 Nov 2019.

I've since heard nothing, which I was expecting. However, I'm being pelted with email spam at the moment and I'm worried any address confirmation emails from the DFA may be lost in the mire. Can someone please confirm the email address they use to send the confirmation of address email so I can add it to my contacts?

Many thanks, and good luck all

Lisahari
Newly Registered

Post by Lisahari » Thu Jan 07, 2021 3:19 pm

@ Derekkn

The email I got in Sept 2019 confirming receipt of my documents was noreply@dfat.ie

derekkn
Newly Registered

Post by derekkn » Thu Jan 07, 2021 3:54 pm

Lisahari wrote:
Thu Jan 07, 2021 3:19 pm
@ Derekkn

The email I got in Sept 2019 confirming receipt of my documents was noreply@dfat.ie
Thanks a million!

pdr8
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by pdr8 » Thu Jan 07, 2021 4:02 pm

Hello all, I am new with a probably very newbie-esque question. I see that Ireland is not currently processing FBR applications. The website specifies that I should not send supporting documentation as it cannot be processed at the moment. Is there any benefit to completing the application online and paying the online fee now, and sending the printed copy of the application and the supporting documentation later when the process resumes? Otherwise I'll just do everything at once. Thank you in advance.

derekkn
Newly Registered

Post by derekkn » Thu Jan 07, 2021 4:10 pm

pdr8 wrote:
Thu Jan 07, 2021 4:02 pm
Hello all, I am new with a probably very newbie-esque question. I see that Ireland is not currently processing FBR applications. The website specifies that I should not send supporting documentation as it cannot be processed at the moment. Is there any benefit to completing the application online and paying the online fee now, and sending the printed copy of the application and the supporting documentation later when the process resumes? Otherwise I'll just do everything at once. Thank you in advance.
The clock starts when your hard copies arrive after the online app is finished, so if it helps you to just get it off your desk and do the online application now, that's fine, but it won't start the clock for your application any earlier I'm afraid.

Doddyod
Newly Registered

Post by Doddyod » Thu Jan 07, 2021 8:54 pm

Just got my FBR through after 18 months, but it has got me thinking about my kids. . . .

I had assumed as my farther was English and my mother was also born in England, but has recently gained Irish citizenship via her Irish parents, whom I also gained my FBR through, that they were not entitled to apply for FBR.

At the time of their births, my mother had remarried to an Irish national, so whilst their blood grandfather (my biological father, is English) their legal grandfather at their time of birth was an Irish national. . . .

So, do you think they can make a claim for FBR, through my Irish step father, their legal grandfather?

Fbrlad
Aruba

Post by Fbrlad » Thu Jan 07, 2021 9:55 pm

Doddyod wrote:
Thu Jan 07, 2021 8:54 pm
Just got my FBR through after 18 months, but it has got me thinking about my kids. . . .

I had assumed as my farther was English and my mother was also born in England, but has recently gained Irish citizenship via her Irish parents, whom I also gained my FBR through, that they were not entitled to apply for FBR.

At the time of their births, my mother had remarried to an Irish national, so whilst their blood grandfather (my biological father, is English) their legal grandfather at their time of birth was an Irish national. . . .

So, do you think they can make a claim for FBR, through my Irish step father, their legal grandfather?
The only one will tell you as a matter of fact is FBR team and they would only be accessible when you apply for the kids. Only risk is the cost and can be lowered by simply applying for one kid first and based on outcome apply for the others.

When did you get the notification? This Jan 2021?

Mr_Knight
Mood:

Post by Mr_Knight » Thu Jan 07, 2021 10:40 pm

Doddyod wrote:

The applicants should have an Irish citizen parent/grandparent at the times of their births

stingray90
Newly Registered
Mood:
Australia

Post by stingray90 » Fri Jan 08, 2021 3:50 am

Update

Application submitted online: 22 July 2019
Email acknowledging receipt of documents (Balbriggan): 08 August 2019
Confirmation of address email: 09 October 2020
Date added to FBR: 21 October 2020 (the day before lockdown - confirmed via web chat)
Congrats email: 4 December 2020
FBR certificate received: 8th January 2021 (In Melbourne, Australia)

After 18 months, feels good to finally have the certificate in my hand. Hopefully they start processing passports again soon.

V3rvangen
Newly Registered

Post by V3rvangen » Fri Jan 08, 2021 4:09 pm

Doddyod wrote:

I may be misunderstanding, but if your mother was born in England, to parents born in Ireland, then she was automatically an Irish citizen from birth, and wouldn't have had to 'gain' it. So I understand you claimed your citizenship through your mother, her being an Irish citizen through her own parents.

If that's all correct, then no, unfortunately your children won't be able to claim Irish citizenship through you, unless you were on the FBR before the date of their birth, which it doesn't sound like they were from your post.

The remarriage of your mother has no relevance to the citizenship rights of your own children, unless he became your legal father on your birth certificate or something, in which case you would have been an Irish citizen, but that doesn't make sense as you have just applied for FBR - your children would be claiming their right to citizenship through you in that case. I think this is a misunderstanding which a lot of people have, because of the nature of the application - if you apply for FBR based on an Irish born grandparent, you aren't claiming your citizenship through them, but through your parent who is automatically an Irish citizen.

Simply put, if you're not an Irish citizen at the time of your child's birth, they cannot become Irish citizens through descent.

BigDaddy100
United States of America

Post by BigDaddy100 » Fri Jan 08, 2021 6:03 pm

derekkn wrote:
Thu Jan 07, 2021 1:10 pm
Hi all

I've since heard nothing, which I was expecting. However, I'm being pelted with email spam at the moment and I'm worried any address confirmation emails from the DFA may be lost in the mire. Can someone please confirm the email address they use to send the confirmation of address email so I can add it to my contacts?

My address confirmation email was sent from fbrclarification@dfa.ie

Legskinner
Newly Registered
Mood:
United States of America

Post by Legskinner » Sat Jan 09, 2021 1:11 am

I finally collected all my documents and recently submitted my application and documents to the Foreign Birth Registry. I imagine that it will be an extremely long wait until I receive any feedback due to the COVID emergency. I am just excited to finally have applied and can´t wait to begin this long journey to ultimately receiving an Irish passport. :D

youthinkunoe
Newly Registered
United States of America

Post by youthinkunoe » Sat Jan 09, 2021 7:43 pm

BigDaddy100 wrote:
Fri Jan 08, 2021 6:03 pm
derekkn wrote:
Thu Jan 07, 2021 1:10 pm
Hi all

My address confirmation email was sent from fbrclarification@dfa.ie
I i got a confirmation of documents and haven't heard anything back and also worried I also was going to miss it with all the spam i have. I have not yet got an address confirmation email.

Confirmation of documents Received: November 9 2019

this is great source for people to gauge where they are on the FBR list. Good luck everyone Slainte

Corkythecat

Post by Corkythecat » Sun Jan 10, 2021 2:33 pm

Thought I would post for the benefit of others.

I have 2 siblings who applied separately in July 2019. Both have now received their FBR certificates. Each has had a slightly different timeline because of the lockdowns. I had confirmation of documents received 26/8/19 but so far have heard nothing. I contacted the webchat in early september 2020 and they confirmed my documents were held and safe.

My eldest sister applied early July 2019 and hit things just right with no hiccups. She had the FBR issued on 4/10/20 and had passport delivered 15/12/20. She had requested a national ID card too. That arrived on 23/12/20.

My second sister (and her partner) both applied later in July 2019 and had an email query in October about my Grandmother's date of birth. She seemed to have taken 3 years off on her marriage certificate! After clarification it was noted, but a later email confirmed she would be added to FBR. The lockdown happened and this delayed the actual receipt of the FBR until early December 2020 - her partner also had his FBR similarly delayed.

I applied 4-6 weeks after them all and have heard nothing as yet. So applying a few weeks apart has made a huge difference to the processing times.

Good luck to everyone - far worse things are happening than a delayed FBR. I am just humming my favourite Irish Ballads and Lullabies - should get there is the end.

JaneKnits
Newly Registered
United States of America

Post by JaneKnits » Mon Jan 11, 2021 7:17 pm

494 days since my application arrived. Today my FBR Certificate and documents arrived! Officially Irish! :D

My Timeline Updated Jan 11 2021:
21/08/2019 -- FBR Application online/paid fee
30/08/2019 -- Mailed/registered all documents
05/09/2019 -- E-mail from FBR office confirming receipt of my documents
03/12/2020 -- E-mail for address confirmation and FBR application will be approved shortly!
17/12/2020 -- FBR mailed
11/01/2021 -- FBR received
TBD -- Passport application process started
TBD -- Passport received

Being as they aren't processing passports at the moment, I probably will wait until the restrictions have lifted before applying.
I'll be having a little bit of Guiness and maybe even some Jamieson's to celebrate!
Cheers to all - and thank you for helping me along on this process. It has been really helpful to have all of you to commiserate with during all the delays.
Jane

Themag62
Newly Registered
United States of America

Post by Themag62 » Thu Jan 14, 2021 6:13 am

Hello, I never received an email specifically referencing that documents have been received. I have only received a single email stating, Your application for Irish citizenship through entry on the Foreign Births Register has now been received." Those of you referencing a documents received email, did you receive 2 emails? One referencing the application and another the documents? Submitted the app online 2/04/20 2 weeks later, received the email with the statement above. After reading all the post here about documents received emails, I'm nervous they were never received and the email refers only to the online app.

Anyone have experience with:
-submitting passport photos after all documents have been sent and application received? I mistakenly sent in only 2 photos, instead of the required 4. Is there an address to which additional documents can be sent, and referencing the application number? Or do I just have to wait to be contacted?

Thank you!

Themag62
Newly Registered
United States of America

Post by Themag62 » Thu Jan 14, 2021 6:39 am

seanpoflynn25 wrote:
Mon Jan 04, 2021 12:54 pm
Hi all - I'm somewhat enthused (and dismayed) by the responses on here as I submitted my documents on 19th October and have had radio silence since then and thought they'd lost it in the system. There seems to be a a bit of a random timing to it as I know of someone that submitted dec 19 and has had their''s back already.

I also unhelpfully seem to have lost the email where they confimred receipt of documents. Coudl anyone remind me of the email address that comes from and hopefully I can try and find it in my inbox!

Thanks,
Hi Sean, Did the email you received specifically refer to DOCUMENTS being received? I ask because I sent my app documents in almost a year ago, and received only an email that my APPLICATION had been received, nothing about documents. Wondering if that means only they received by online application, not documents. Worried my documents have been lost.

DuncanB
Newly Registered
Mood:

Post by DuncanB » Thu Jan 14, 2021 1:45 pm

Hi folks.
HELP PLEASE.

After finally assembling the myriad of birth, marriage and death certificates required to prove decent from an Irish grandmother I went on to the online FBS form. Although I am claiming Irish decent via a grandparent the first question asked is how my parents claimed Irish citizenship. My parents were born in Britain and did not register as Irish, they are now dead and I had assumed I could do this showing evidence of an Irish grandparent (which I have).

Has anyone else been in this situation? How did you get past this question on the online form?

Thanks folks.

jamiepompey
Mood:
Ireland

Post by jamiepompey » Thu Jan 14, 2021 2:20 pm

DuncanB wrote:
Thu Jan 14, 2021 1:45 pm
Hi folks.
HELP PLEASE.

After finally assembling the myriad of birth, marriage and death certificates required to prove decent from an Irish grandmother I went on to the online FBS form. Although I am claiming Irish decent via a grandparent the first question asked is how my parents claimed Irish citizenship. My parents were born in Britain and did not register as Irish, they are now dead and I had assumed I could do this showing evidence of an Irish grandparent (which I have).

Has anyone else been in this situation? How did you get past this question on the online form?

Thanks folks.
Your parent was/is already an Irish citizen. The wording is confusing but don't panic. Your parent would never have had to claim Irish citizenship as they were Irish due to their parent (you grandparent) being born on the island of Ireland.

They ask for your parents details as they need to see the paper trail to prove your descent so you will need to provide your parents birth, marriage and death certificates on top of our grandparents documents and your own.
Last edited by jamiepompey on Thu Jan 14, 2021 2:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nyvaie
Newly Registered
United States of America

Post by nyvaie » Thu Jan 14, 2021 2:23 pm

Hey Duncan,

The parent you are claiming through is automatically an Irish citizen based on this info from the FBR website:

Were either of your parents born on the island of Ireland?
If you were born outside Ireland to a parent born on the island of Ireland, you are already an Irish citizen and may apply for an Irish passport.

I was in the same situation (grandmother born in Ireland, mother born in USA). So the option you want to choose for the question "Please indicate the citizenship category to which the applicant’s parent belongs" is "Born abroad to a parent born in Ireland."

Hope this helps & good luck!

DuncanB
Newly Registered
Mood:

Post by DuncanB » Thu Jan 14, 2021 3:14 pm

nyvaie wrote:
Thu Jan 14, 2021 2:23 pm
Hey Duncan,

The parent you are claiming through is automatically an Irish citizen based on this info from the FBR website:

Were either of your parents born on the island of Ireland?
If you were born outside Ireland to a parent born on the island of Ireland, you are already an Irish citizen and may apply for an Irish passport.

I was in the same situation (grandmother born in Ireland, mother born in USA). So the option you want to choose for the question "Please indicate the citizenship category to which the applicant’s parent belongs" is "Born abroad to a parent born in Ireland."

Hope this helps & good luck!
Brill, great relief!

DuncanB
Newly Registered
Mood:

Post by DuncanB » Thu Jan 14, 2021 3:14 pm

jamiepompey wrote:
Thu Jan 14, 2021 2:20 pm
DuncanB wrote:
Thu Jan 14, 2021 1:45 pm
Hi folks.
HELP PLEASE.

Thanks folks.
Your parent was/is already an Irish citizen. The wording is confusing but don't panic. Your parent would never have had to claim Irish citizenship as they were Irish due to their parent (you grandparent) being born on the island of Ireland.

They ask for your parents details as they need to see the paper trail to prove your descent so you will need to provide your parents birth, marriage and death certificates on top of our grandparents documents and your own.
Much appreciated, panic over!