ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Changing surname on Indian passport

Please post country topics not listed elsewhere.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

anume
Newly Registered

Changing surname on Indian passport

Post by anume » Tue Jan 05, 2021 5:17 pm

Hi,

I married many years ago in India and am still using my maiden surname in my passport. My husband's name is endorsed in my passport.

I am now in the UK and wanted to change my surname to match my husband's. VFS website https://www.vfsglobal.com/india/uk/NEW_ ... sport.html mentions that one needs to submit 'Marriage certificate and applicant’s spouse passport copy'.

My marriage certificate mentions my maiden surname and of course my husband's name. I am assuming this will suffice for the name change in my passport? Do I need anything else?

I got a bit confused reading somewhere that the marriage certificate needs to include my married surname but not sure how would that be because my marriage certificate ought to show my pre-marriage maiden name and surname

My case (have abbreviated first name)

wife name in passport: S K
husband name: A P
Marriage certificate details: show S K and A P are married
Change requested in wife name from S K to S P

It will be great if someone has any insights?

thanks

secret.simon

Re: Changing surname on Indian passport

Post by secret.simon » Tue Jan 05, 2021 5:55 pm

Personally identifiable information (surnames) removed from the post. Please do not post such information on public forums.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

xebec
Australia

Post by xebec » Fri Jan 08, 2021 1:35 am

Follow the advice given here: https://www.vfsglobal.com/india/uk/NEW_ ... sport.html

I am sure they would be able to make sense from the documents provided if the marriage certificate does not have your married surname.

Maybe what you read was that the married surname has to be in the marriage certificate? eg if you marry Mr BROWN- "BROWN" must be mentioned in the certificate somewhere for you to be called "MRS BROWN"; you can't call yourself "MRS GREEN" if its not in the certificate.

anume
Newly Registered

Post by anume » Fri Jan 08, 2021 11:46 am

thank you.

That is exactly the doubt I have - since HCI does not provide clear guidance or am I overthinking?

Following your example, if marriage certificate shows 'MISS GREEN' has married 'MR BROWN', can 'MISS GREEN' apply for change in surname ie to be called 'MRS BROWN' on the basis of the certificate even though the marriage certificate does not mention 'MRS BROWN'.

In my case, married certificate is issued in my maiden surname, which I believe is the norm, so just wanted to be sure if that would suffice to request change in surname on the passport?

I have seen previous posts about using marriage certificates to change surname, for example other-countries/change-of-name-after-ma ... 81427.html, so was hoping someone can clarify whether their marriage certificate showed maiden or married surname and whether anything else eg affidavit etc is needed.

thanks