ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Switch into Skilled Worker Route

Only for the UK Skilled Worker visas, formerly known as Tier 2 visa route

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

psankisa
Newly Registered
India

Switch into Skilled Worker Route

Post by psankisa » Fri Jan 08, 2021 3:24 am

Hi Team,

Below is the situation, i want to understand if i can switch into the skilled worker route in Jan 2021.

From Sep 2014 to Sep 2015 - Worked in UK on short term ICT visa (this route is closed now)
From Sep 2015 to Oct 2020 - Worked in UK on long term ICT visa
From Oct 2020 till date - Switched in the UK into T4 full time general student visa for a masters program (1 year full time)

My question is: My employer is willing to sponsor a skilled worker visa -

a) will i be able to switch in Jan 2021 i.e rite away or do i have to complete my masters education?
b) will the 12 month cool off period apply to me?

Appreciate your help. Cheers.

srsw

Re: Switch into Skilled Worker Route

Post by srsw » Fri Jan 08, 2021 9:24 am

You can switch from Tier 4 to SW visa after your completion of the master degree, but switching mid way is a different situation.

Do you want to cancel your studies/tier 4 visa & go back to full-time on SW visa?
My advice is based on personal research/experience, so pls check relevant UKVI sources.

psankisa
Newly Registered
India

Post by psankisa » Fri Jan 08, 2021 10:54 am

Yes 'srsw'. This is exactly what i have in mind. Will i be able to cancel my studies and go back to full time work on SW visa?

James.Dunlop
Site Admin

Post by James.Dunlop » Fri Jan 08, 2021 2:21 pm

That is fine as long as you are not 'on a short-term student visa'. Also, although not officially stipulated, being in good standing with your course of education may be needed. It is fine to get a new status and stop studying.

It is not necessarily ok to stop studying, remain on Tier 4, and then make a new SW application.

If you were not adhering to the terms of your Tier 4 visa (ie being a student studying the course for which you had a CAS), then this could complicate future applications. In non-covid circumstances, completing a term, passing end of term exams, and then switching, would be ideal. Covid may make that impractical.
James Dunlop

mailto:james.dunlop@jdunlop.com

srsw

Post by srsw » Fri Jan 08, 2021 2:47 pm

The other option is to continue your studies and work 20 hrs a week for this employer (or the number of hours allowed in your Tier 4 case) and once you complete your exams/course you can switch to SW full-time.
My advice is based on personal research/experience, so pls check relevant UKVI sources.

psankisa
Newly Registered
India

Post by psankisa » Fri Jan 08, 2021 4:18 pm

Thank you James and srsw. Yes, iam in good standing for the 1st trimester.

Iam already working 20hrs per week, its get a bit hectic to manage both. Hence want to switch back to full time role on the SW visa. Cheers.