ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Court date wait times

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

ryuzaki

What visa can we get for our children after Surinder Singh?

Post by ryuzaki » Tue Apr 07, 2020 9:24 am

I am British and my wife is Chinese. She has pre-settled status after making a Surinder Singh application (previously lived in the EEA together). She has two children, both Chinese living in China.

We were told by a lawyer that we could apply for an EU Settlement Scheme Family Permit. Is that right? The government website seems to say only EEA nationals can use it, not non-EEA citizens who used Surinder Singh.

What other kinds of visa can we apply for?

Thanks so much.

secret.simon

Re: What visa can we get for our children after Surinder Singh?

Post by secret.simon » Tue Apr 07, 2020 12:24 pm

How old are the children?
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

ryuzaki

Post by ryuzaki » Tue Apr 07, 2020 12:40 pm

Thanks for your reply. One is 8 and the other is 19. I understand that the 19 year old won't be able to get a child dependent visa under UK rules, but EU rules allow up to age 21.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Tue Apr 07, 2020 1:02 pm

my understanding is that for a Surinder SIngh application, all those applying to come to the UK should have been with the British citizen in the other EU state while the British citizen was exercising treaty rights, to qualify for the surinder singh route.

Reading your other topics/posts, it appears the children did not reside with you or your spouse in Ireland at all under the EU rules as part of your household.

Where are the childrens other parent??

Would have been easier if you had remained in Ireland and as you yoursefl stated in 2018 : Ireland is our home now and plan to obtain Irish citizenship.

ireland/spouse-of-an-eea-citizen-diary- ... l#p1673480
ryuzaki wrote:
Fri Aug 24, 2018 8:49 am
I am aware of that, but that isn't my intention. My salary in Ireland is much better than I can get in the UK for doing the same job, and there is much more opportunity to own a home instead of renting forever. Ireland is our new home now and I made that clear in the application. It's not some little low paid McJob for six months, it's a well paid senior position at a long established company.

In any case, with Brexit coming there isn't time to try the UK route, even if I could afford it on UK salary. And really who wants to stay in the UK with that iceberg looming? I want to retain my EU membership by becoming an Irish citizen.

Some people do get reasonably quick decisions. Most of the problems seem to be in countries like Pakistan.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

ryuzaki

Post by ryuzaki » Tue Apr 07, 2020 1:22 pm

Yes, we would have been better off staying in Ireland. They didn't join us there and the father died years ago.

Thanks for your help, that was my understanding too. I will talk to the lawyer more, it seems like he has his wires crossed.

ryuzaki

Post by ryuzaki » Wed Apr 08, 2020 9:26 am

Heard back from the lawyer. He says the basis of the application would be Surinder Singh and that the rights continue even though we were forced to move back to the UK.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Wed Apr 08, 2020 9:28 am

But the childrend did not reside in the other EU state with you under the EU regulations.

https://www.gov.uk/family-permit/surinder-singh
Surinder Singh

You might be able to apply for an EEA family permit if you’ve lived in another EEA country with an eligible family member who’s a British citizen. This is known as making a ‘Surinder Singh’ application.

Your British family member must be one of the following:

your spouse (husband or wife) or civil partner
your parent or grandparent (or their spouse or civil partner) - you must also be under 21 years old or dependent on them
your child or grandchild (or their spouse or civil partner) - you must be dependent on them

This includes family members who were adopted under an adoption order that’s recognised in UK law.
Eligibility requirements

You and your British family member must prove that you:

meet the eligibility in the EEA country where you live now - if you want to come to the UK at the same time
met the eligibility while living together in another EEA country - if you want to join your British family member in the UK
Char (CR001 not Casa)
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

ryuzaki

Post by ryuzaki » Wed Apr 08, 2020 9:58 am

That's what I thought, but what does it mean "if you’ve lived in another EEA country with an eligible family member who’s a British citizen"?

I lived with my wife there and she got pre-settled status on that basis. So we have an eligible family member and this lawyer seems to be saying that her rights continue, so she can have her children join her.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Wed Apr 08, 2020 10:17 am

The children would have had to reside in the EU state (not UK) with you and your wife to qualify for surinder Singh route back to the uk.
Char (CR001 not Casa)

ryuzaki

Court date wait times

Post by ryuzaki » Sun Jan 10, 2021 9:54 pm

We applied for an EU close family member visa with legal assistance. The HO rejected and we had the lawyer appeal it via the court. We have been waiting for a court date since August.

Obviously there are huge delays due to COVID. Anyone got any idea how long we will be waiting?

Desi Boy

Re: Court date wait times

Post by Desi Boy » Sun Jan 10, 2021 10:34 pm

Hi its take upto 6 months

Sajid29

Post by Sajid29 » Mon Jan 11, 2021 12:34 am

ryuzaki wrote:
Sun Jan 10, 2021 9:54 pm
We applied for an EU close family member visa with legal assistance. The HO rejected and we had the lawyer appeal it via the court. We have been waiting for a court date since August.

Obviously there are huge delays due to COVID. Anyone got any idea how long we will be waiting?
Hello ,can you please share reason for refusal ? Close family member cases are straightforward.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Mon Jan 11, 2021 7:15 am

Topics merged.
Char (CR001 not Casa)

ryuzaki

Post by ryuzaki » Mon Jan 11, 2021 3:40 pm

Sajid29 wrote:
Mon Jan 11, 2021 12:34 am
Hello ,can you please share reason for refusal ? Close family member cases are straightforward.
The HO wrote:

"The family members of British citizens cannot apply for an EUSS Family Permit unless
they are a relevant naturalised British citizen. A 'relevant naturalised British citizen' is a
dual British and EEA or Swiss citizen who exercised free movement rights in the UK
prior to the acquisition of British citizenship and who retained their EEA nationality of
origin after acquiring British citizenship. You have not provided evidence that your
sponsor is a 'relevant naturalised British citizen'."

Our lawyer said:

"The caseworker has made an error in law which led to refusal of this application.

Your wife was granted family permit and benefited under the Surinder Singh under the EEA
law as she is an EEA family member pursuant to the provision of Regulation 9 Immigration
(European Economic Area) Regulation 2016 and 2019, which should enabled your son to
benefit from the EEA Law. Although you are no longer an EEA national under the EEA law,
you continue exercising your Treaty rights in the UK. Such rights continue when you come
back as a returning resident. On this basis, your son should be granted family permit to enter
the UK."

ryuzaki

Post by ryuzaki » Thu Jan 21, 2021 10:02 am

Anyone care to comment on wait times? Anyone know anything?

I know that there is potentially a year or more delay for criminal cases, does that apply to immigration cases as well?

ryuzaki

Post by ryuzaki » Thu Jan 21, 2021 10:09 am

The only information I could find says an 83 week wait for Entry Clearance Officer cases. At that point our son will be over the age limit.

ryuzaki

Post by ryuzaki » Wed Mar 31, 2021 12:32 pm

Our appeal has been accepted and they asked for an outline of the defence, which our lawyer is providing. No date set but as I understand it the Home Office may yet back out when they see the defence.

Obie
Ireland

Post by Obie » Wed Mar 31, 2021 5:00 pm

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but I find it hard to see what defense your lawyer could put in circumstances where the children did not reside with you in another member state.

Speaking for myself, I must say I am rather puzzled as to his reason for making you proceed with this, but good luck.
Smooth seas do not make skilful sailors

ryuzaki

Post by ryuzaki » Wed Mar 31, 2021 5:34 pm

I was concerned too. Let's see what happens. If they were wrong as a matter of law I'll be looking to recover my costs and making an official complaint.