ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Citizenship Ceremony cancelled due to Covid-19

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

dragon098
Mood:

Re: Citizenship Ceremony cancelled due to Covid-19

Post by dragon098 » Wed Jan 13, 2021 8:15 am

aswadi wrote:
Tue Jan 12, 2021 10:33 pm
I've also been trying to check if Westminster has my certificate via the online booking tool.

I'm starting to worry my approval letter does not include the reference everyone else is using.

In the top right I have:

Our Ref - left blank

Your Ref - left blank

Case ID 0xxxxxxxx

Date 09 October 2020

Could you please let me know if you are also using the Case ID or in fact for you the "our ref" was provided?
Hi Aswadi,

Yes, your Case ID is your Ref number. You can use that in council to check if your certificate has arrived or not. Make sure you put in your full name.

Good Luck

PhantomPermit
Mood:
Pakistan

Post by PhantomPermit » Wed Jan 13, 2021 9:06 am

approved 15th Oct

reply:
"You will receive your invitation soon, we are close to sending invite for approvals from that date. Please bear with us as we hope to send your invite in one of next cohorts"

westminster1213
Newly Registered

Post by westminster1213 » Wed Jan 13, 2021 9:10 am

westminster1213 wrote:
Tue Jan 12, 2021 11:52 pm
Hi,

Which link are you checking if the council has your certificate?

Thanks
i meant for westminster council

alexdreame
Newly Registered
Argentina

Post by alexdreame » Wed Jan 13, 2021 9:26 am

westminster1213 wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2021 9:10 am
westminster1213 wrote:
Hi,

Thanks
Hey, Westminster City Council used to have the option to book ceremony online using the reference number but it is now removed from their website. Since they moved to virtual ceremonies only they want you to get in touch via email once you have received the letter and book a ceremony. I have emailed them today to check if they have received my certificate on registeroffice@westminster.gov.uk. I was approved on the 19th of October. Also good to know is that according to their website, you will need to be physically present within the UK in order to take part in a virtual citizenship ceremony. Now, I find this very frustrating because unfortunately I am stuck abroad and unable to return to the UK at the moment because of lockdown 3.0. I am not sure how and If they check, but don't think it's worth the risk.

masam52
Newly Registered
Argentina

Post by masam52 » Wed Jan 13, 2021 9:59 am

CULLINAN wrote:
Tue Jan 12, 2021 12:00 pm
masam52 wrote:
Tue Jan 12, 2021 11:58 am
For those who had the ceremony online...

How was it? What questions do they ask?

I read they first ask you where you are. That means you cannot have the online ceremony if you are abroad.
You must be in UK to attend a virtual ceremony also.
And do you have to be in your home address for the virtual ceremony or is it ok as long as you are in the UK? I am currently at my sister's house in another city of the UK.

I don't know what questions they will ask.

aswadi
Newly Registered
United Arab Emirates

Post by aswadi » Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:04 am

alexdreame wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2021 9:26 am
westminster1213 wrote:
westminster1213 wrote:
Hi,

Thanks
Hey, Westminster City Council used to have the option to book ceremony online using the reference number but it is now removed from their website. Since they moved to virtual ceremonies only they want you to get in touch via email once you have received the letter and book a ceremony. I have emailed them today to check if they have received my certificate on registeroffice@westminster.gov.uk. I was approved on the 19th of October. Also good to know is that according to their website, you will need to be physically present within the UK in order to take part in a virtual citizenship ceremony. Now, I find this very frustrating because unfortunately I am stuck abroad and unable to return to the UK at the moment because of lockdown 3.0. I am not sure how and If they check, but don't think it's worth the risk.
Here is the link: https://registrars.westminster.gov.uk/A ... ignup.aspx

Could be that they are currently not "updating" that though and checking there is pointless.

aswadi
Newly Registered
United Arab Emirates

Post by aswadi » Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:04 am

masam52 wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2021 9:59 am
CULLINAN wrote:
Tue Jan 12, 2021 12:00 pm
masam52 wrote:
Tue Jan 12, 2021 11:58 am
For those who had the ceremony online...

How was it? What questions do they ask?

I read they first ask you where you are. That means you cannot have the online ceremony if you are abroad.
You must be in UK to attend a virtual ceremony also.
And do you have to be in your home address for the virtual ceremony or is it ok as long as you are in the UK? I am currently at my sister's house in another city of the UK.

I don't know what questions they will ask.
Don't worry you can be anywhere in the UK.

alexdreame
Newly Registered
Argentina

Post by alexdreame » Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:10 am

aswadi wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:04 am
alexdreame wrote:
westminster1213 wrote:
westminster1213 wrote:
Hi,

Thanks

Could be that they are currently not "updating" that though and checking there is pointless.
Thank you!

alexdreame
Newly Registered
Argentina

Post by alexdreame » Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:36 am

alexdreame wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:10 am
aswadi wrote:
alexdreame wrote:
westminster1213 wrote:

Thank you!
Update - i just checked the site using the reference number from the successful application letter and it seems to be updated as I am able to book a ceremony. Previously it would say the information would not match, so that means the website is updated and the council must have received the certificate and uploaded the details to their database.

westminster1213
Newly Registered

Post by westminster1213 » Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:47 am

alexdreame wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:36 am
alexdreame wrote:
aswadi wrote:
alexdreame wrote:

Thank you!
Update - i just checked the site using the reference number from the successful application letter and it seems to be updated as I am able to book a ceremony. Previously it would say the information would not match, so that means the website is updated and the council must have received the certificate and uploaded the details to their database.
not working for me i.e they cannot retreive my details. i also got approved on 19th of October

alexdreame
Newly Registered
Argentina

Post by alexdreame » Wed Jan 13, 2021 11:02 am

westminster1213 wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:47 am
alexdreame wrote:
alexdreame wrote:
aswadi wrote:

Thank you!
not working for me i.e they cannot retreive my details. i also got approved on 19th of October
How strange! Have you got a middle name? maybe you need to write it after your first name. In my case thats the case you need to write It as per your original application.

alexdreame
Newly Registered
Argentina

Post by alexdreame » Wed Jan 13, 2021 11:02 am

westminster1213 wrote:
alexdreame wrote:
alexdreame wrote:
aswadi wrote:

Thank you!
How strange! Have you got a middle name? maybe you need to write it after your first name. In my case thats the case you need to write It as per your original application.

Jefymum

Post by Jefymum » Wed Jan 13, 2021 11:47 am

Update: Approved 20th October
Invitation received today 13th January. Hounslow Council.

Good luck to all who are waiting.

kamalshah74
Newly Registered
Kenya

Post by kamalshah74 » Wed Jan 13, 2021 11:50 am

alexdreame wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2021 11:02 am
westminster1213 wrote:
alexdreame wrote:
alexdreame wrote:

Thank you!
Same here. Got approved on 22 October. HO has said letter is in the post. I called Westminster yesterday and they said they will check and call me back. No response yet. They did mention that i cannot use the HO reference or case ID in my approval letter. The reference for the ceremony booking will start with 02xxx (i think). I also tried to book online on the link and it is not working for me. Let's see if someone responds via phone today. WIll update

onvan25
Newly Registered

Post by onvan25 » Wed Jan 13, 2021 12:10 pm

Just got my invitation letter from the HO today.
I got approved on the 29th of October and the letter is dated 22nd of December.
I'm in Birmingham Council. They are doing virtual ceremonies and I'm still waiting for them to confirm when that will be.

Rocky999
Newly Registered

Post by Rocky999 » Wed Jan 13, 2021 12:12 pm

Hi all

I received my ceremony invite this morning(13-01-2021) via post; letter dated 18-12-2020.

I was approved on 12-10-2020.

Rang Staffordshire council, they said that they will contact me to arrange ceremony.

Many thanks

dragon098
Mood:

Post by dragon098 » Wed Jan 13, 2021 12:45 pm

Is there anyone who has update from Wandsworth Council regarding ceremony.

I called them around 10:00am and the guy in telephone told me to email them to book virtual ceremony and that there are around 160 people are waiting for their ceremony. I might be 161th.

Anyways, anyone recently did ceremony or did anyone get booked in successfully. I still haven't got letter from Royal Mail and Wandsworth SW18 seems to be having delays :(

CULLINAN
Respected Guru
Pakistan

Post by CULLINAN » Wed Jan 13, 2021 1:50 pm

Jefymum wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2021 11:47 am

This may help:

PROCESS to follow for members under Hounslow Council

Hounslow Council is still carrying out Virtual Ceremonies for £125 in National Lockdown.

You need to wait till you get an invitation from HO (via email or post) first.

Once you receive the HO invitation, you have to email: citizenship@hounslow.gov.uk with details as mentioned in the link below.

The lady is pretty efficient and calls back within 1-2 days to book you in.

Virtual ceremonies availability is running around late Jan for now. Group ceremonies (free) around April. Not sure if they are booking for group ceremonies for now or not.
https://www.hounslow.gov.uk/info/20121/ ... ceremonies
Personal opinion only, not to be mistaken for legal advice. Please DO NOT PM me for immigration advice. Love for All, Hatred for None.

raij
Poland

Post by raij » Wed Jan 13, 2021 2:05 pm

GUYS!!( AND LADIES) IT FINALLY HAPPENED! After 7,5 MONTHS WAIT my invite arrived!
Thank you for keeping me sane, listening to me moaning!
It wasn't easy i had an MP , and 2 other organizations (for ex army) involved to try and get home office to answer as to why i was waiting so long for my invitation letter
My timeline
Applied feb 2019
approval 4th june 2019
Invite letter arrived 13 jan 2021 Letter dated 22 December
Ceremony date- unknown as my local council is not doing these atm.
If you like me are waiting such a long time , please keep asking your MP to help , they are able to get more answers than i could

Omyousif
Sudan

Post by Omyousif » Wed Jan 13, 2021 2:07 pm

Hello all
This from cardiff council when am asked them about situation:
Virtual ceremonies are not something we are currently offering, we will review the situation again following the next welsh government announcement at the end of the month.
Any one from cardiff still waiting.

raij
Poland

Post by raij » Wed Jan 13, 2021 2:11 pm

Omyousif wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2021 2:07 pm
Hello all
This from cardiff council when am asked them about situation:
Virtual ceremonies are not something we are currently offering, we will review the situation again following the next welsh government announcement at the end of the month.
Any one from cardiff still waiting.
i am with cardiff too , thats what they said to me too

Kratosan
Newly Registered

Post by Kratosan » Wed Jan 13, 2021 2:20 pm

8th October Approval here
Received invitation letter today from the home office.
Called my council to book a private ceremony (Wakefield Council currently doesn't offer virtual ceremonies) and was given an appointment for Monday 18th January with no charge.

Good luck to everyone else who is still waiting!

nnn15

Post by nnn15 » Wed Jan 13, 2021 2:30 pm

After nearly 10 months my citizenship ceremony invitation finally arrived today!

Timeline: applied in February 2020, approved in March 2020, citizenship ceremony invitation dated 23 December 2020 arrived on 13 January 2021.

I had to submit several complaints to the Home Office and involve my MP as I didn't get any case-specific response via the standard Home Office support channels.

Westminster council has been extremely helpful and responsive. They conduct private virtual ceremonies during the lockdown at the cost of 10 pounds for the certificate postage fee.

raij
Poland

Post by raij » Wed Jan 13, 2021 2:41 pm

nnn15 wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2021 2:30 pm
After nearly 10 months my citizenship ceremony invitation finally arrived today!

Timeline: applied in February 2020, approved in March 2020, citizenship ceremony invitation dated 23 December 2020 arrived on 13 January 2021.

I had to submit several complaints to the Home Office and involve my MP as I didn't get any case-specific response via the standard Home Office support channels.

Westminster council has been extremely helpful and responsive. They conduct private virtual ceremonies during the lockdown at the cost of 10 pounds for the certificate postage fee.
Yayyy well done lovely ! mine turned up today too xx

Jefymum

Post by Jefymum » Wed Jan 13, 2021 2:57 pm

CULLINAN wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2021 1:50 pm
Jefymum wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2021 11:47 am

This may help:

PROCESS to follow for members under Hounslow Council

Hounslow Council is still carrying out Virtual Ceremonies for £125 in National Lockdown.

You need to wait till you get an invitation from HO (via email or post) first.

Once you receive the HO invitation, you have to email: citizenship@hounslow.gov.uk with details as mentioned in the link below.

The lady is pretty efficient and calls back within 1-2 days to book you in.

Virtual ceremonies availability is running around late Jan for now. Group ceremonies (free) around April. Not sure if they are booking for group ceremonies for now or not.
https://www.hounslow.gov.uk/info/20121/ ... ceremonies
Thanks so much Cullinan. I've emailed them. Thanks for being so helpful and polite 👏