ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Citizenship Ceremony cancelled due to Covid-19

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

N S
Newly Registered
Pakistan

Re: Citizenship Ceremony cancelled due to Covid-19

Post by N S » Wed Jan 13, 2021 7:45 pm

Southampton city council doing a virtual ceremonies just got reply from them

http://www.southampton.gov.uk/coronavir ... onies.aspx

anm88
Newly Registered
India

Post by anm88 » Wed Jan 13, 2021 8:06 pm

I have now received my ceremony invitation.

Approval Date: 23 October 2020
Date on the invitation letter: 30 December
Received on: 13 January (letter says I should use the details within 21 days of date above)

I strongly suspect that these letters are printed in batches and not posted right away.

Kay100
Nigeria

Post by Kay100 » Wed Jan 13, 2021 8:25 pm

anm88 wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2021 8:06 pm

Received on: 13 January (letter says I should use the details within 21 days of date above)

I strongly suspect that these letters are printed in batches and not posted right away.

Yup. I concur

Kay100
Nigeria

Post by Kay100 » Wed Jan 13, 2021 8:25 pm

Kay100 wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2021 8:25 pm
anm88 wrote:

Same as me. Yup. I concur

kamalshah74
Newly Registered
Kenya

Post by kamalshah74 » Wed Jan 13, 2021 9:01 pm

kamalshah74 wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2021 11:50 am
alexdreame wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2021 11:02 am
westminster1213 wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:47 am
alexdreame wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:36 am

Update - i just checked the site using the reference number from the successful application letter and it seems to be updated as I am able to book a ceremony. Previously it would say the information would not match, so that means the website is updated and the council must have received the certificate and uploaded the details to their database.
not working for me i.e they cannot retreive my details. i also got approved on 19th of October
How strange! Have you got a middle name? maybe you need to write it after your first name. In my case thats the case you need to write It as per your original application.
Same here. Got approved on 22 October. HO has said letter is in the post. I called Westminster yesterday and they said they will check and call me back. No response yet. They did mention that i cannot use the HO reference or case ID in my approval letter. The reference for the ceremony booking will start with 02xxx (i think). I also tried to book online on the link and it is not working for me. Let's see if someone responds via phone today. WIll update
Quick update. Got my letter today. Dated 30 December, posted 9 January, received 13 January. Now to book the ceremony.

kamalshah74
Newly Registered
Kenya

kamalshah74 wrote:
alexdreame wrote:
westminster1213 wrote:
alexdreame wrote:

Update - i just checked the site using the reference number from the successful application letter and it seems to be updated as I am able to book a ceremony. Previously it would say the information would not match, so that means the website is updated and the council must have received the certificate and uploaded the details to their database.
not working for me i.e they cannot retreive my details. i also got approved on 19th of October
How strange! Have you got a middle name? maybe you need to write it after your first name. In my case thats the case you need to write It as per your original application.
Same here. Got approved on 22 October. HO has said letter is in the post. I called Westminster yesterday and they said they will check and call me back. No response yet. They did mention that i cannot use the HO reference or case ID in my approval letter. The reference for the ceremony booking will start with 02xxx (i think). I also tried to book online on the link and it is not working for me. Let's see if someone responds via phone today. WIll update
Quick update. Got my letter today. Dated 30 December, posted 9 January, received 13 January. Now to book the ceremony.

kamalshah74
Newly Registered
Kenya

kamalshah74 wrote:
alexdreame wrote:
westminster1213 wrote:
alexdreame wrote:

kamalshah74
Newly Registered
Kenya

Post by kamalshah74 » Wed Jan 13, 2021 9:02 pm

anm88 wrote:

Agree. Mine was as follow:

Approval Date: 22 October 2020
Received on: 13 January

shahzy970
Mood:
Malaysia

Post by shahzy970 » Wed Jan 13, 2021 9:06 pm

YanisAAK wrote:
Sun Jan 10, 2021 2:58 pm
Anyone from Newham council here? Can you please share your experience?
What reference number have you used to book your ceremony?
How long have you been waiting for?

Many thanks to those who replied to my previous question
Hi! Did you check with Newham council? mine is Newham and I tried to reach out but they couldn't find my details plus I haven't received the invitation letter from ho yet.

Thanks

mrmo93
Mood:
Sweden

Post by mrmo93 » Wed Jan 13, 2021 9:25 pm

Curseet!

Im approved October 12 and got the letter but Kent county council doesn't have my certificate :x

LNDwaiting
Newly Registered
Mood:

Post by LNDwaiting » Wed Jan 13, 2021 11:23 pm

nnn15 wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2021 6:39 pm
LNDwaiting wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2021 4:20 pm
nnn15 wrote:
Tue Jan 12, 2021 5:57 pm
qwisnia wrote:
Tue Jan 12, 2021 5:26 pm
Is it only me or HO stopped responding to emails, I've used those and did not here anything back form them:
Not even ack, it's almost like I've been added to a spam list :(
I sent a round of emails to these addresses when 2021 started. I was approved in March 2020 and there are still no signs of my certificate. I haven't got any replies from any of these addresses.
The complaint I submitted at the HO website was upheld and they said they would "endeavour to print and despatch the paperwork as soon as possible", but also said they cannot tell when they can do so. So I guess the only thing I can do is to remind them about my still unprinted paperwork.
Hi nnn15,

My case is similar to yours. Approved in March 2020. Since August I have been writing and complaining, MP is involved. I also wrote to Kevin Foster, minister of immigration. His office replied on Dec saying 'I will receive it very soon'. Its been more than a month now.

I received a reply to my complaint saying ''I am upholding your complaint and I apologise for any inconvenience caused by the delay that has affected your application. It may be helpful if I explain that due to a technical error, your ceremony invitation letter has not yet been issued to you.
It is not possible to confirm when your certificate will be despatched to you. However, we will expedite issuing your certificate and ceremony invite letter''

Honestly, I don't trust them and I don't bother anymore. Have stopped thinking about my ceremony, It is very stressful.
Did your MP ever get a response? I even spoke to a lawyer I know about what I can do. The advice was - apparently going via the MP is the most powerful way as the Home Office is obliged to respond to the MPs.

In my case the Home Office didn't reply to the MP for over 2 months. Apparently there is an MP hotline, and when the MP called, the HO said they had sent the documents (which they actually didn't do). After this mistake has been highlighted to the HO, they said they were working on my case as an urgent matter. They also quoted a "technical problem". So after the HO confirmed they were treating it as an urgent matter, it took 5 weeks to receive a letter.

Another thing you can do is submit an SAR request (https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... mmigration). You can get a copy of the data and caseworker notes, probably it can shed some light on the reasons for the delay.
Congratulations to you for receving a letter from HO.

And thanks for your suggestions. MP didnt receive any reply. Its been 2 months now. I reminded my MP two weeks ago, but never heard anything back from her. I am very tempted to make a subject access request. I am gonna do that tonight.
Thanks a lot.

Gillji
Newly Registered

Post by Gillji » Thu Jan 14, 2021 12:54 am

Hi every one
I been a silent reader all the time and every second day read here comments and have some idea
I was approved on 30 October 2020
Invitation print on 22 December 2020
Received invitation on 13 January 2021
Ceremony date 15 December 2021 Virtual ceremony
Thanks for forum people who was really Helpful all the time with their suggestions and comments
And wishing every one good luck and success in this forum
Regards

CULLINAN
Respected Guru
Pakistan

Post by CULLINAN » Thu Jan 14, 2021 1:02 am

Gillji wrote:
Thu Jan 14, 2021 12:54 am
Hi every one
I been a silent reader all the time and every second day read here comments and have some idea
I was approved on 30 October 2020
Invitation print on 22 December 2020
Received invitation on 13 January 2021
Ceremony date 15 December 2021 Virtual ceremony
Thanks for forum people who was really Helpful all the time with their suggestions and comments
And wishing every one good luck and success in this forum
Regards
Ceremony date after 11 months???
Personal opinion only, not to be mistaken for legal advice. Please DO NOT PM me for immigration advice. Love for All, Hatred for None.

squaresausage
Newly Registered
Madagascar

Post by squaresausage » Thu Jan 14, 2021 2:16 am

Apparently, the Falkirk council is not holding any citizenship ceremonies at present until the government guidelines change. No option to arrange private or virtual ceremonies either.

Yazzz95
Mood:

Post by Yazzz95 » Thu Jan 14, 2021 7:32 am

Hi, does anyone know if newham council is conducting ceremonies?? Are they doing in person or virtual ceremonies??
Thanks

Gillji
Newly Registered

Post by Gillji » Thu Jan 14, 2021 8:31 am

Sorry it’s 15 January 2021 ceremoney booked
Writing error from me
It’s not 15 December 2021
It’s 15 January mean tomorrow

nnn15

Post by nnn15 » Thu Jan 14, 2021 8:59 am

LNDwaiting wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2021 11:23 pm
nnn15 wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2021 6:39 pm
LNDwaiting wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2021 4:20 pm
nnn15 wrote:
Tue Jan 12, 2021 5:57 pm

I sent a round of emails to these addresses when 2021 started. I was approved in March 2020 and there are still no signs of my certificate. I haven't got any replies from any of these addresses.
The complaint I submitted at the HO website was upheld and they said they would "endeavour to print and despatch the paperwork as soon as possible", but also said they cannot tell when they can do so. So I guess the only thing I can do is to remind them about my still unprinted paperwork.
Hi nnn15,

My case is similar to yours. Approved in March 2020. Since August I have been writing and complaining, MP is involved. I also wrote to Kevin Foster, minister of immigration. His office replied on Dec saying 'I will receive it very soon'. Its been more than a month now.

I received a reply to my complaint saying ''I am upholding your complaint and I apologise for any inconvenience caused by the delay that has affected your application. It may be helpful if I explain that due to a technical error, your ceremony invitation letter has not yet been issued to you.
It is not possible to confirm when your certificate will be despatched to you. However, we will expedite issuing your certificate and ceremony invite letter''

Honestly, I don't trust them and I don't bother anymore. Have stopped thinking about my ceremony, It is very stressful.
Did your MP ever get a response? I even spoke to a lawyer I know about what I can do. The advice was - apparently going via the MP is the most powerful way as the Home Office is obliged to respond to the MPs.

In my case the Home Office didn't reply to the MP for over 2 months. Apparently there is an MP hotline, and when the MP called, the HO said they had sent the documents (which they actually didn't do). After this mistake has been highlighted to the HO, they said they were working on my case as an urgent matter. They also quoted a "technical problem". So after the HO confirmed they were treating it as an urgent matter, it took 5 weeks to receive a letter.

Another thing you can do is submit an SAR request (https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... mmigration). You can get a copy of the data and caseworker notes, probably it can shed some light on the reasons for the delay.
Congratulations to you for receving a letter from HO.

And thanks for your suggestions. MP didnt receive any reply. Its been 2 months now. I reminded my MP two weeks ago, but never heard anything back from her. I am very tempted to make a subject access request. I am gonna do that tonight.
Thanks a lot.
Good luck! I hope this works. Apparently the HO can't be ignoring the MPs forever, so there must be a channel for your MP to get a response. But it probably doesn't harm to get a copy of the data on the file either.

Atighee
Newly Registered
Mood:
Qatar

Post by Atighee » Thu Jan 14, 2021 9:07 am

Hi
Is there anybody whose application was approved on 29th October?
If yes please reply if u received invitation letter yet or not?

MeMFM
Newly Registered

Post by MeMFM » Thu Jan 14, 2021 9:33 am

Gillji wrote:
Thu Jan 14, 2021 8:31 am
Sorry it’s 15 January 2021 ceremoney booked
Writing error from me
It’s not 15 December 2021
It’s 15 January mean tomorrow
Good Morning Gillji,
I have the approval letter with 21.10.2020. The RBKC confirmed that they have my certificate. I haven't though received yet the HO Invitation Letter. Given the borough has my certificate I have tried to book the ceremony using the ref number on approval letter but does not work. Is it this number you have used to book your ceremony or perhaps on the Invitation letter you have a different number? Could you please let me know? Thank you.

imz2020
Newly Registered
Brazil

Post by imz2020 » Thu Jan 14, 2021 10:14 am

Atighee wrote:
Thu Jan 14, 2021 9:07 am
Hi
Hi, I was approved on 26 oct and no invitation letter received yet.

masam52
Newly Registered
Argentina

Post by masam52 » Thu Jan 14, 2021 11:54 am

Hi,

Technically, at what point you become a British Citizenship? Right after the ceremony? or once you get the certificate at home?

I am asking because Royal Mail is not sending anything where I should receive it. What happens if it gets lost? Or What would happen if the certificate is never sent?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Thu Jan 14, 2021 11:55 am

masam52 wrote:
Thu Jan 14, 2021 11:54 am
Hi,

Technically, at what point you become a British Citizenship? Right after the ceremony? or once you get the certificate at home?

I am asking because Royal Mail is not sending anything where I should receive it. What happens if it gets lost? Or What would happen if the certificate is never sent?
Once you have attended the ceremonynis when you officially become British.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

zeetee
Newly Registered
Pakistan

Post by zeetee » Thu Jan 14, 2021 11:58 am

************UPDATE :D :D **********
Applied for Citizenship : 15-9-2020
Approval: 19-10-2020
Citizenship ceremony invitation received today: 14-1-2021
Letter on the date: 7-1-2021

Redbridge Council has suspended ceremonies and they will contact me for next available date.
GoodLuck for all those who are waiting :) :)

zeetee
Newly Registered
Pakistan

Post by zeetee » Thu Jan 14, 2021 12:05 pm

imz2020 wrote:
Thu Jan 14, 2021 10:14 am
Atighee wrote:
Thu Jan 14, 2021 9:07 am
Hi
Hi, I was approved on 26 oct and no invitation letter received yet.
I was approved on 19th Oct and received it today. Soon you will be receiving too.

Basel_AH
Jordan

Post by Basel_AH » Thu Jan 14, 2021 12:24 pm

Hello all,

Finally received the letter through my solicitor today!

Approved on 7 October 2020
Invitation print on 16 December 2020
Received invitation on 14 January 2021
Ceremony date - Soonest free public ceremony in my council, Brent, is 17 February, any day for a private one which costs £130.

Thanks to everyone who contributed to this forum. It's been really helpful to feel like one is not alone during these challenging times when we have to handle so much happening around us and still wait patiently for our paper work to be done.

Good luck to everyone waiting, I wish you hear your good news soon.