ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

How will taking my non-EU wife to Schengen work now (after Coronavirus)?

Immigration to European countries, don't post UK or Ireland related topics!

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

someguyIguess
Newly Registered

How will taking my non-EU wife to Schengen work now (after Coronavirus)?

Post by someguyIguess » Fri Jan 15, 2021 10:17 pm

My wife is a Zambian Citizen, currently with a BRP and on the 5 year path to ILR in UK. Previously we've got 1 year Schengen visas through the free Spousal travel thing with being in the EU (I am a British citizen). Since we're not longer in the EU this no longer applies. What will be necessary after covid is over to bring my wife to Schengen*?

I'm assuming that Gibraltar might be the easiest way to do it? Or will she be treated as a Brit being a British resident?

Bonus Question: We're trying for kids. Am I right in my thinking that it would be strategically sensible if we can to have them in Northern Ireland? That way kid can get Irish passport and presumably so could we, but if not then at least we have freedom of movement rights on a family holiday.

*For holidays

secret.simon

Re: How will taking my non-EU wife to Schengen work now (after Coronavirus)?

Post by secret.simon » Sat Jan 16, 2021 4:57 am

someguyIguess wrote:
Fri Jan 15, 2021 10:17 pm
Bonus Question: We're trying for kids. Am I right in my thinking that it would be strategically sensible if we can to have them in Northern Ireland? That way kid can get Irish passport and presumably so could we, but if not then at least we have freedom of movement rights on a family holiday.
If the child is born in Northern Ireland to at leats one British parent, then indeed, under current Irish legislation, the child is entitled to an Irish passport. That does not make the parents eligible for one, though, just the child.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

alterhase58
Germany

Re: How will taking my non-EU wife to Schengen work now (after Coronavirus)?

Post by alterhase58 » Sat Jan 16, 2021 1:14 pm

My wife is a Zambian Citizen, currently with a BRP and on the 5 year path to ILR in UK. Previously we've got 1 year Schengen visas through the free Spousal travel thing with being in the EU (I am a British citizen). Since we're not longer in the EU this no longer applies. What will be necessary after covid is over to bring my wife to Schengen*?
As a visa-national wife needs to apply for Schengen visa (fee payable I expect) - the BRP is only relevant for entering the UK - British citizens have 90 days visa-free stay in any 180 days period.
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.