ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Withdrawing citizenship application

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

Shelter
Pakistan

Withdrawing citizenship application

Post by Shelter » Fri Jan 15, 2021 10:56 pm

Hi guys I applied for irish citizenship(stamp4 spouse of irish national) September 2018 and got second stage letter may 2019 since nothing just copy and paste emails .. I am planning to withdraw my application and apply again on my own ( 5 years residency) as I noticed most of the people who applied on 5 year residency are getting approval within 1 year .. looks like they dont take 3 years redundancy ( irish associate) seriously...I need ur suggestions please πŸ™‚

Thanks

Vorona
- thin ice -
Ireland

Re: Withdrawing citizenship application

Post by Vorona » Sat Jan 16, 2021 12:21 am

Bad idea.
It's a general assumption that applications from people who are married to Irish citizens processed faster than others.

However, if you applied on a basis of Irish association, then according to current data on the INIS website, it will take around 30 months:
https://www.irishimmigration.ie/citizen ... ociations/

Shelter
Pakistan

Post by Shelter » Sat Jan 16, 2021 4:12 am

Vorona wrote: ↑
Sat Jan 16, 2021 12:21 am
Bad idea.
It's a general assumption that applications from people who are married to Irish citizens processed faster than others.

However, if you applied on a basis of Irish association, then according to current data on the INIS website, it will take around 30 months:
https://www.irishimmigration.ie/citizen ... ociations/
Thanks vorona .. I applied as irish spouse .. and its almost 2 and half years now ..process doesn't look like faster than others..

zigandzag
Newly Registered
Australia

Post by zigandzag » Sat Jan 16, 2021 9:14 am

Note that they don't always send out confirmations of withdrawal apparently. A friend withdrew as he decided he didn't want to lose his own citizenship. Never got confirmation bar acknowledgement of receipt of letter. He rang a solicitor who said that the dept doesn't tend to run around tying up those kind of loose ends (especially when there's no conclusion as far as the application is concerned....ie. it just stops). Weird but...

alhakeem
Ireland

Post by alhakeem » Sat Jan 16, 2021 10:29 am

The minister can wave 2 years from the 5 years when you apply as a spouse of an Irish citizen, but it is not called an Irish association, generally in your case it is one ifthe fastest ways, but I think the current situation and last year problem contributed to this delay and I am sure i the next shirt future this year will show a tremendous amount if approvals to overcome the back log created..ay be in 2 years they will try to clear all applications.

aneelrahim
Pakistan

Post by aneelrahim » Sat Jan 16, 2021 12:58 pm

Shelter wrote: ↑
Fri Jan 15, 2021 10:56 pm
Hi guys I applied for irish citizenship(stamp4 spouse of irish national) September 2018 and got second stage letter may 2019 since nothing just copy and paste emails .. I am planning to withdraw my application and apply again on my own ( 5 years residency) as I noticed most of the people who applied on 5 year residency are getting approval within 1 year .. looks like they dont take 3 years redundancy ( irish associate) seriously...I need ur suggestions please πŸ™‚

Thanks
On 5 year residency,I applied on Dec 2017 and get citizenship on Dec 2019.

I suggest waiting rather than applied again.

Vorona
- thin ice -
Ireland

Post by Vorona » Sat Jan 16, 2021 1:03 pm

Sat Jan 16, 2021 4:12 am
Thanks vorona .. I applied as irish spouse .. and its almost 2 and half years now ..process doesn't look like faster than others..
The reason for delay is not clear, you can request copy of your file and see if you can find anything that could potentially explain the delay, as it can be anything from information on the form and quality of the documents to criminal background.

If you re-apply, how can you be sure it will processed faster if you don't know what caused the delay. A lot of people who applied on the basis of residency are waiting as long as you are.

vipers
Newly Registered
Congo

Post by vipers » Sat Jan 16, 2021 10:34 pm

Vorona wrote: ↑
Sat Jan 16, 2021 1:03 pm
Sat Jan 16, 2021 4:12 am
The reason for delay is not clear, you can request copy of your file and see if you can find anything that could potentially explain the delay, as it can be anything from information on the form and quality of the documents to criminal background.

If you re-apply, how can you be sure it will processed faster if you don't know what caused the delay. A lot of people who applied on the basis of residency are waiting as long as you are.

Hi Vorona
i would really appreciate any advice i applied citizenship in 2018 got 2nd letter in july 2018 after that just nothing still waiting , how do i request for FOI any advice please thanks

Vorona
- thin ice -
Ireland

Post by Vorona » Sun Jan 17, 2021 12:47 am

vipers wrote: ↑
Sat Jan 16, 2021 10:34 pm
Hi Vorona
i would really appreciate any advice i applied citizenship in 2018 got 2nd letter in july 2018 after that just nothing still waiting , how do i request for FOI any advice please thanks
Hi. Download a Subject Access Request form at the bottom of this page and follow the instructions.
http://www.justice.ie/en/JELR/Pages/Data_Protection

user77
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by user77 » Sun Jan 17, 2021 1:08 am

Hi,

i don't think its a good idea to withdraw and re-apply,
real issue is that department is not taking it serious at all, for me Covid-19 is not an issue to give citizenship, Virtual ceremonies are good option,
a good effort by Minister sending certificates at your door but its nothing unless they implement.
there was always excuses(court decision, not enough staff and many more) just to make it delay....
well getting out of topic ....better keep your guard up and hold firm...your are not the only one in this.

alhakeem
Ireland

Post by alhakeem » Sun Jan 17, 2021 9:06 pm

In addition if you were number 8000 in the queue it would be far better than to withdraw and re apply and again only to be number 27000 in the queue.

polarcub
Mood:
Ireland

Post by polarcub » Mon Jan 18, 2021 4:30 am

I saw a bar chart recently in these immigration forums that showed that Spousal citizenships took longer than any other category. I have also read in the papers that the department had a problem with receiving fraudulent marriage applications from India/Pakistan and in the past the Guards had investigated. This may explain greater delays. People have also heavily critiqued that the department is discriminatory based on peoples nationalities.

You do have the option to File for a Freedom of Information to see what's been done to your case, and go through a judicial review. Read this thread here: ireland/foi-and-an-application-for-an-o ... 64-20.html

and there is another thread that talks about delays and what you can do as well: ireland/delay-in-citizenship-applicatio ... l#p1748096

If you withdraw your application and apply on a 5 year basis - you do realise that you'd still be making a spousal application, it'll just be under the 5 year terms, as opposed to 3 - both are valid. You can look into it further, but I don't think starting a new application, especially when the INIS has stated they are not processing any new applications as their focus is on their backlog, is a good idea.

Thanks

Shelter
Pakistan

Post by Shelter » Mon Jan 18, 2021 6:21 am

polarcub wrote: ↑
Mon Jan 18, 2021 4:30 am
I saw a bar chart recently in these immigration forums that showed that Spousal citizenships took longer than any other category. I have also read in the papers that the department had a problem with receiving fraudulent marriage applications from India/Pakistan and in the past the Guards had investigated. This may explain greater delays. People have also heavily critiqued that the department is discriminatory based on peoples nationalities.

You do have the option to File for a Freedom of Information to see what's been done to your case, and go through a judicial review. Read this thread here: ireland/foi-and-an-application-for-an-o ... 64-20.html

and there is another thread that talks about delays and what you can do as well: ireland/delay-in-citizenship-applicatio ... l#p1748096

If you withdraw your application and apply on a 5 year basis - you do realise that you'd still be making a spousal application, it'll just be under the 5 year terms, as opposed to 3 - both are valid. You can look into it further, but I don't think starting a new application, especially when the INIS has stated they are not processing any new applications as their focus is on their backlog, is a good idea.

Thanks

So U mean last 7 years they issued me 4 times stamp 4 without making sure that my marriage was real ..and now they are checking again when I submitted my citizenship application.. will it not easy for them just make sure that marriage is genuine or not before renewing permission so they dont have to waste time during citizenship application ..such a strange and stupid system they have here in Ireland.. anyway I will wait 6 months more and then I will ask for FOI .. thanks guys for all the suggestions..

polarcub
Mood:
Ireland

Post by polarcub » Thu Feb 04, 2021 7:36 pm

Honestly the whole process and system doesn't make sense, and it's a headache if you try to make sense of something that doesn't make sense.

Visa's (Stamp 4s) and citizenships are not the same. One is more permanent. Ireland is really sensitive to giving out citizenship. They have a past where citizenships were bought and sold with mass corruption, read this: https://www.irishtimes.com/culture/the- ... s-1.112640

FOIs are also free and can be done easily online. It'll easily tell you what's going on in your application to take the guessing out of it.
Mon Jan 18, 2021 6:21 am
polarcub wrote: ↑
Mon Jan 18, 2021 4:30 am

Thanks

So U mean last 7 years they issued me 4 times stamp 4 without making sure that my marriage was real ..and now they are checking again when I submitted my citizenship application.. will it not easy for them just make sure that marriage is genuine or not before renewing permission so they dont have to waste time during citizenship application ..such a strange and stupid system they have here in Ireland.. anyway I will wait 6 months more and then I will ask for FOI .. thanks guys for all the suggestions..