ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

British passport application

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

macaroni

British passport application

Post by macaroni » Tue Sep 23, 2008 9:28 am

Once naturalised how do you go about applying for a British passport?

Do you simply follow these instructions on the Identity and Passport Service website or, is there some other method used?

http://www.ips.gov.uk/passport/apply-online.asp

I found this piece of information on a website- http://www.uk-wp.com/permits/others/naturalisation/
Once an individual has been naturalised as a British Citizen, they will then be able to apply for a British passport. To apply for a British passport, individuals would normally need to provide their current passport, the Certificate of Naturalisation and the completed form. An applicant would also need to provide the names and details of 2 referees who are British citizens. The UK Passport Agency (UKPA) offers a premium service but this is not available for applications for first passports (because further checks will need to be undertaken).
Hmm, IF this information is accurate, then you would need to fill in a form physically rather than virtually/online? Where can we get these forms?

I see we have to provide the names and details of 2 referees who are British citizens. Why can't they just use the details they already have from our naturalisation application form(the AN form)? :roll: I would expect all departments dealing with such issues to have their tentacles in the records kept on all immigrants and citizens.

vinny

Re: British passport application

Post by vinny » Tue Sep 23, 2008 10:05 am

macaroni wrote:Once naturalised how do you go about applying for a British passport?

Do you simply follow these instructions on the Identity and Passport Service website or, is there some other method used?

http://www.ips.gov.uk/passport/apply-online.asp
Yes
macaroni wrote:I found this piece of information on a website- http://www.uk-wp.com/permits/others/naturalisation/
Once an individual has been naturalised as a British Citizen, they will then be able to apply for a British passport. To apply for a British passport, individuals would normally need to provide their current passport, the Certificate of Naturalisation and the completed form. An applicant would also need to provide the names and details of 2 referees who are British citizens. The UK Passport Agency (UKPA) offers a premium service but this is not available for applications for first passports (because further checks will need to be undertaken).
Hmm, IF this information is accurate, then you would need to fill in a form physically rather than virtually/online? Where can we get these forms?
Online application form wrote:This allows you to fill in the form and send it to us online. We then post you the printout. You need to sign this and return it to us with your photographs and any documents we need.
See also How do I get it?
macaroni wrote:I see we have to provide the names and details of 2 referees who are British citizens. Why can't they just use the details they already have from our naturalisation application form(the AN form)? :roll: I would expect all departments dealing with such issues to have their tentacles in the records kept on all immigrants and citizens.
It's probably easier for you to fill in the details.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

macaroni

Post by macaroni » Tue Sep 23, 2008 10:12 am

Thanks Vinny. :)

I found this as well- maybe it's a bit dubious seeing as it's on a commercial site. That aside, there seems to be some "application lead times" shown on here- http://www.easyjet.com/EN/Planning/passportinfo.html

Are naturalised applicants allowed to use the premium service? :?

vinny

Post by vinny » Tue Sep 23, 2008 10:45 am

Premium same-day service wrote:This service is not available if you are applying for a first passport, a full / total name change to your existing passport, extension to a passport, or to replace a lost, stolen or damaged passport.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

Christophe
Diamond Member

Post by Christophe » Tue Sep 23, 2008 1:09 pm

macaroni wrote:Are naturalised applicants allowed to use the premium service? :?
Yes, naturalised applicants would be, but not for their first passport. (The same as everyone else, in fact.)

macaroni

Post by macaroni » Tue Sep 23, 2008 4:46 pm

Christophe wrote:
macaroni wrote:Are naturalised applicants allowed to use the premium service? :?
Yes, naturalised applicants would be, but not for their first passport. (The same as everyone else, in fact.)

Thanks Christophe. I have to wait for the citizenship ceremony and only then can I fill in the online application form.... :? Everything happens so slowly. :(

djb123
Member of Standing

Post by djb123 » Tue Sep 23, 2008 6:02 pm

macaroni wrote:
Christophe wrote:

Thanks Christophe. I have to wait for the citizenship ceremony and only then can I fill in the online application form.... :? Everything happens so slowly. :(
One thing is the online form seems to think that everyone must have got their British citizenship through blood. So if your parents are not British it asks for your mother's parent's details, and then if they are not British it asks for your father's parent's details.

When I helped my wife (citizenship through marriage to me/3 years in the UK) complete her application we didn't bother with the online form in the end and used the paper form - they actually gave her a paper form at her citizenship ceremony.

macaroni

Post by macaroni » Tue Sep 23, 2008 9:11 pm

djb123 wrote:
macaroni wrote:
Christophe wrote:

One thing is the online form seems to think that everyone must have got their British citizenship through blood. So if your parents are not British it asks for your mother's parent's details, and then if they are not British it asks for your father's parent's details.

When I helped my wife (citizenship through marriage to me/3 years in the UK) complete her application we didn't bother with the online form in the end and used the paper form - they actually gave her a paper form at her citizenship ceremony.
Oh thank you for your reply. :D

I have been filling in the online form but of course you get to a page where it asks for information you can only get from the certificate. So I suppose I can't proceed before the ceremony. :roll:

Do they give you paper forms at the ceremony? Do you need to ask them or will they simply hand them to you?

Also, do they ABSOLUTELY insist on the original certificate etc, or can you hand in certified copies? It would be extremely unfortunate if either the postal service or the passport offices themselves lost the documents. :shock:

macaroni

Post by macaroni » Tue Sep 23, 2008 9:47 pm

I have found this- a page where you can request a form to be posted to you.
http://www.ips.gov.uk/passport/index.asp

djb123
Member of Standing

Post by djb123 » Wed Sep 24, 2008 6:07 am

macaroni wrote:
djb123 wrote:
macaroni wrote:
Christophe wrote: Yes, naturalised applicants would be, but not for their first passport. (The same as everyone else, in fact.)

I have been filling in the online form but of course you get to a page where it asks for information you can only get from the certificate. So I suppose I can't proceed before the ceremony. :roll:

Do they give you paper forms at the ceremony? Do you need to ask them or will they simply hand them to you?

Also, do they ABSOLUTELY insist on the original certificate etc, or can you hand in certified copies? It would be extremely unfortunate if either the postal service or the passport offices themselves lost the documents. :shock:
They gave everyone at the ceremony (Ipswich Register Office) a welcome pack which contained amongst other things a a passport application form.

The documents (naturalisation certificate/travel document you used to enter the UK) have to be original. We used the premium checking service at the post office to minimise the chance of them being lost.

Christophe
Diamond Member

Post by Christophe » Wed Sep 24, 2008 6:53 am

djb123 wrote:One thing is the online form seems to think that everyone must have got their British citizenship through blood. So if your parents are not British it asks for your mother's parent's details, and then if they are not British it asks for your father's parent's details.
Last time I saw one, the paper form asked for these things too. Time was when there were different forms for people who gained citizenship in different ways. This had the advantage that the questions were more targeted, but the disadvantage was that if you got the wrong form (in those days most people picked up their forms at the post office) it was completely useless...

But the form (as I recall it, unless it's changed) could do with some improvement. A good form should always indicate why information is being asked for, especially if the reasons are not immediately obvious, and I don't think that the passport form really does that.
Last edited by Christophe on Wed Sep 24, 2008 10:01 am, edited 2 times in total.

macaroni

Post by macaroni » Wed Sep 24, 2008 9:46 am

djb123 wrote:
macaroni wrote:
djb123 wrote:
macaroni wrote:

They gave everyone at the ceremony (Ipswich Register Office) a welcome pack which contained amongst other things a a passport application form.

The documents (naturalisation certificate/travel document you used to enter the UK) have to be original. We used the premium checking service at the post office to minimise the chance of them being lost.
Thanks djb, I didn't know about the "welcome pack" or the premium checking service. I have been reading sites about this whole issue of applying for a passport but had just been getting more confused. :oops: :)

whirly

Post by whirly » Wed Sep 24, 2008 10:29 am

Hi macaroni,

I am going through the process of getting a UK passport right now. I had my citizenship ceremony a few weeks ago and got the application in my welcome pack, as djb noted. I had obtained an application from the post office beforehand though, and had most of it completed before the ceremony. Most post offices should be able to give you one. After the ceremony I added my naturalisation number and got my friend (teacher) to sign it as a reference. I used the Post Office Check-and-Send Service to submit it last week.

Christophe is right: the form could use an overhaul. I found it weird that it asked about my parents and grandparents (none of whom are British) but not my husband (although I got it through marriage to a UK citizen). I think they are trying to make one-form-fit-all, but it's still a bit unclear.

Meanwhile, I got a letter yesterday asking for even more information to establish my identity/past addresses. I suspect my case is rare, but not unique. Although I have lived here for 4 years, my history is effectively invisible: most things are in my husband's name, I have a pay-as-you-go mobile instead of a contract, paid rent in cash for a few months, banked online in the US for a while... (no wonder I sound so dodgy to them!) I can address their concerns. I have plenty of official people who will vouch for me. It just adds another layer of paperwork that has to be assembled. If you have a better established credit history in the UK, you should be lucky and skip this part!

Good luck

macaroni

Post by macaroni » Wed Sep 24, 2008 11:15 am

whirly wrote:Hi macaroni,

I am going through the process of getting a UK passport right now. I had my citizenship ceremony a few weeks ago and got the application in my welcome pack, as djb noted. I had obtained an application from the post office beforehand though, and had most of it completed before the ceremony. Most post offices should be able to give you one. After the ceremony I added my naturalisation number and got my friend (teacher) to sign it as a reference. I used the Post Office Check-and-Send Service to submit it last week.

Christophe is right: the form could use an overhaul. I found it weird that it asked about my parents and grandparents (none of whom are British) but not my husband (although I got it through marriage to a UK citizen). I think they are trying to make one-form-fit-all, but it's still a bit unclear.

Meanwhile, I got a letter yesterday asking for even more information to establish my identity/past addresses. I suspect my case is rare, but not unique. Although I have lived here for 4 years, my history is effectively invisible: most things are in my husband's name, I have a pay-as-you-go mobile instead of a contract, paid rent in cash for a few months, banked online in the US for a while... (no wonder I sound so dodgy to them!) I can address their concerns. I have plenty of official people who will vouch for me. It just adds another layer of paperwork that has to be assembled. If you have a better established credit history in the UK, you should be lucky and skip this part!

Good luck
Thank you Whirly, your information is greatly appreciated.

I just don't understand why the IPS need all this damned information. Considering we have had to supply masses of documentation for the Permanent Residence application, then the same for the Citizenship application. We paid huge fees to Home Office as well. I don't understand how it is that they have no access to the same information that Home Office keeps.

Then, more information demands. It's just ridiculous- I sympathise with you having to submit yet more information.

I am going to get a form from the Post Office and have a look at it. It's a genuine pain asking people to sign as referees. Most of the professionals I know are foreign/overseas. :roll: People don't want to be bothered with nonsense like this. :roll: Thanks again Whirly. :)

whirly

Post by whirly » Wed Sep 24, 2008 12:00 pm

macaroni wrote:Thank you Whirly, your information is greatly appreciated.

I just don't understand why the IPS need all this damned information. Considering we have had to supply masses of documentation for the Permanent Residence application, then the same for the Citizenship application. We paid huge fees to Home Office as well. I don't understand how it is that they have no access to the same information that Home Office keeps.

Then, more information demands. It's just ridiculous- I sympathise with you having to submit yet more information.

I am going to get a form from the Post Office and have a look at it. It's a genuine pain asking people to sign as referees. Most of the professionals I know are foreign/overseas. :roll: People don't want to be bothered with nonsense like this. :roll: Thanks again Whirly. :)
No worries - glad we can share the pain!

Yes, it's a drag having to go through all this knowing that they will still (more likely than not) make me go for an interview as well. Such amazing bureaucracy and paperwork! Wouldn't it be easier if we all just had a number or a microchip or... No, don't go there. If it's paper they want, I'll give it to them.

Finding references isn't much fun. You're right: it's a burden that our friends could do without, but you have to play their little game.

Hang in there, macaroni... it's almost over!

macaroni

Post by macaroni » Wed Sep 24, 2008 12:09 pm

whirly wrote:
macaroni wrote:Thank you Whirly, your information is greatly appreciated.

No worries - glad we can share the pain!

Yes, it's a drag having to go through all this knowing that they will still (more likely than not) make me go for an interview as well. Such amazing bureaucracy and paperwork! Wouldn't it be easier if we all just had a number or a microchip or... No, don't go there. If it's paper they want, I'll give it to them.

Finding references isn't much fun. You're right: it's a burden that our friends could do without, but you have to play their little game.

Hang in there, macaroni... it's almost over!

It's going to be hilarious if, once we have a British passport, you then find most of the airlines and travel agencies have all gone out of business. :lol: :roll:

I had forgotten about the interview. I assumed all first time applicants had to go for one.

Here is someone who has got to the end of the long, expensive, tedious road. http://www.immigrationboards.com/viewto ... ht=#191248

There may be hope for us yet. :wink: I am sure they will microchip us at some point. :lol:

whirly

Post by whirly » Wed Sep 24, 2008 1:50 pm

macaroni wrote:I had forgotten about the interview. I assumed all first time applicants had to go for one.
Yes, I think all first-time applicants have to attend an interview: Who will be interviewed?

The process is explained here.

I know the reason is to establish identity and reduce fraud, but I wonder what they will be able to "surprise" me with, since I'm supplying most of this information to them right now!

Just wait until we are marched in to get national identity cards someday... :roll: I might prefer the microchip!

macaroni

Post by macaroni » Wed Sep 24, 2008 2:06 pm

whirly wrote:
macaroni wrote:I had forgotten about the interview. I assumed all first time applicants had to go for one.
Yes, I think all first-time applicants have to attend an interview: Who will be interviewed?

The process is explained here.

I know the reason is to establish identity and reduce fraud, but I wonder what they will be able to "surprise" me with, since I'm supplying most of this information to them right now!

Just wait until we are marched in to get national identity cards someday... :roll: I might prefer the microchip!
It's just odd that they established identity when granting permanent residence AND then citizenship. Or so I thought.

:?

I wonder what they actually ask in the interview, and how friendly they really are. Somehow Home Office/ anything to do with Home Office or Immigration seems incompatible with the word "friendly". :lol:
Passport applications can be made using the standard application form, as now. These can be sent directly by post or by using the Check & Send service available at selected branches of the Post Office. Regional passport offices will then establish that the applicant’s identity exists and that they are entitled to a British passport. This will include checks with independent sources such as the electoral roll and address histories. This verifies a “biographical footprintâ€

whirly

Post by whirly » Wed Sep 24, 2008 2:21 pm

macaroni wrote:It's just odd that they established identity when granting permanent residence AND then citizenship. Or so I thought.
It's that one-form-fits-all thing, again. Imagine you are a British adult who has never had a passport before... never left the country before... but is registered to vote, owns a home, has a credit card, etc. As a first-time passport applicant, they would need to establish your identity by looking at things like the electoral roll and your credit history. The fact that we, as naturalised Brits, have been handing over docs to the HO for years means nothing to IPS. They have to deal with us all in the same way. Sigh!
macaroni wrote:I wonder what they actually ask in the interview, and how friendly they really are. Somehow Home Office/ anything to do with Home Office or Immigration seems incompatible with the word "friendly". :lol:
Check the British Nationality section of ukresident.com (you'll need a username to access the boards.) People there have reported back about the interview, things like: say your full name and spell it, parents' names/anniversary, your current account is with which bank?, your mobile is with which provider?, etc. And apparently some of them have had friendly interviewers!!!

macaroni

Post by macaroni » Wed Sep 24, 2008 2:30 pm

whirly wrote:
macaroni wrote:It's just odd that they established identity when granting permanent residence AND then citizenship. Or so I thought.
It's that one-form-fits-all thing, again. Imagine you are a British adult who has never had a passport before... never left the country before... but is registered to vote, owns a home, has a credit card, etc. As a first-time passport applicant, they would need to establish your identity by looking at things like the electoral roll and your credit history. The fact that we, as naturalised Brits, have been handing over docs to the HO for years means nothing to IPS. They have to deal with us all in the same way. Sigh!
I've never been on the electoral roll. I think a landlord might have put my name down once, but that was a long time ago. However my name has always been on every lease, and most of the utility bills.
macaroni wrote:I wonder what they actually ask in the interview, and how friendly they really are. Somehow Home Office/ anything to do with Home Office or Immigration seems incompatible with the word "friendly". :lol:
Check the British Nationality section of ukresident.com (you'll need a username to access the boards.) People there have reported back about the interview, things like: say your full name and spell it, parents' names/anniversary, your current account is with which bank?, your mobile is with which provider?, etc. And apparently some of them have had friendly interviewers!!!

I will definitely have a look at that forum, thanks for telling me! :D

macaroni

Post by macaroni » Wed Sep 24, 2008 3:48 pm

Whirly, thanks a lot. :D I see what you mean about people posting about the passport interview, now.

http://www.ukresident.com/forums/index. ... t&p=164467
Questions I was asked:

Say name in full and spell it
Give address
Give date of birth
Where was I born
Did I have a mortgage, who was it with, and when did it start
Did I have any loans
Which bank was I with and what cards did I have with that bank
What was the name of my countersigner
How old is countersigner
What is countersigners profession
What supporting documents did I put with my passport application (I stupidly confused this for naturalisation application!!)
Did I go by any other names than the one on my application
What was the date of my naturalisation (I had no idea!! I just knew that the ceremony was before my husbands birthday so I said that!)
What was the name of my mother
What was the name of my father
What was my former address
Hopefully I am not breaking any of Terms and Conditions of this forum by putting up that link. :shock:

djb123
Member of Standing

Post by djb123 » Wed Sep 24, 2008 4:20 pm

Christophe wrote:
djb123 wrote:One thing is the online form seems to think that everyone must have got their British citizenship through blood. So if your parents are not British it asks for your mother's parent's details, and then if they are not British it asks for your father's parent's details.
Last time I saw one, the paper form asked for these things too. Time was when there were different forms for people who gained citizenship in different ways. This had the advantage that the questions were more targeted, but the disadvantage was that if you got the wrong form (in those days most people picked up their forms at the post office) it was completely useless...

But the form (as I recall it, unless it's changed) could do with some improvement. A good form should always indicate why information is being asked for, especially if the reasons are not immediately obvious, and I don't think that the passport form really does that.
The paper form asks for your parent's details, but unlike the online form doesn't insist on you filling in your grandparent's details if your parents are not British.

djb123
Member of Standing

Post by djb123 » Wed Sep 24, 2008 4:23 pm

macaroni wrote:Whirly, thanks a lot. :D I see what you mean about people posting about the passport interview, now.

http://www.ukresident.com/forums/index. ... t&p=164467
Questions I was asked:

Say name in full and spell it
Give address
Give date of birth
Where was I born
Did I have a mortgage, who was it with, and when did it start
Did I have any loans
Which bank was I with and what cards did I have with that bank
What was the name of my countersigner
How old is countersigner
What is countersigners profession
What supporting documents did I put with my passport application (I stupidly confused this for naturalisation application!!)
Did I go by any other names than the one on my application
What was the date of my naturalisation (I had no idea!! I just knew that the ceremony was before my husbands birthday so I said that!)
What was the name of my mother
What was the name of my father
What was my former address
Hopefully I am not breaking any of Terms and Conditions of this forum by putting up that link. :shock:
I was sat the otherside of the room whilst my wife had her interview and could hear all of the questions.

Those questions are very similar to what she was asked. I think she was also asked what email address did she put on the form, where was her citizenship ceremony was, and how did she send her application.

macaroni

Post by macaroni » Wed Sep 24, 2008 4:34 pm

djb123 wrote:
I was sat the otherside of the room whilst my wife had her interview and could hear all of the questions.

Those questions are very similar to what she was asked. I think she was also asked what email address did she put on the form, where was her citizenship ceremony was, and how did she send her application.

Really? At least you were there silently offering moral support. I will make sure my husband comes along then! :lol:

I hope to be very well prepared for my interview. It sounds crazy but there are some questions listed that I could not answer, in my case. The person I hope will sign as a referee is someone I've known for a while but I honestly don't know his age. That's the whole point if you know someone who happens to be a professional, and your purpose of association was business. You wouldn't know personal things like their age. :roll:

The same applies to some of the other issues which either I don't deal with, or simply don't pay that much attention to. I know I have x number of credit cards, for example, but I could not offhand say which one is a VISA card or which one is a MAESTRO card. Things like that. :shock:

macaroni

Post by macaroni » Wed Sep 24, 2008 4:39 pm

djb, are all spouses allowed to accompany their partners at these interviews? I mean, did you have to ask for permission, or were they nice and friendly and offered you a seat? :?