ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Citizenship Ceremony cancelled due to Covid-19

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

Oria
Libya

Re: Citizenship Ceremony cancelled due to Covid-19

Post by Oria » Tue Jan 19, 2021 3:48 pm

Sanaazim wrote:
Tue Jan 19, 2021 3:21 pm
russn wrote:
Tue Jan 19, 2021 2:44 pm
Sanaazim wrote:
Sat Jan 16, 2021 4:37 pm
russn wrote:
Sat Jan 16, 2021 4:07 pm

No probs. I applied on Aug 31 and got the approval email on Oct 27. Still waiting for my invitation letter and the Council still hasn't got my certificate.
Oh wow we are sharing same date me and my husband is also waiting for invitation fingers crossed hopefully we get it soon good luck
Hey. I sent an email last Saturday to ask if my invitation letter and my certificate had been sent out and they just replied saying they did send them out on Jan 13, even with the electronic copy of the letter in the same email. I wonder why Ealing said in their email to me on Jan 16 that they have not received my certificate... maybe it was not registered on the system yet at the time. But yea, ours should be on their way.
That’s awesome news can u plz let me k ow what email address u used and now that u have electronic copy are u going to email council again for ceremony? Or still going to wait for post
Hi
What email address did you get a reply from?

Cheers

Dreams101
Newly Registered

Post by Dreams101 » Tue Jan 19, 2021 3:51 pm

russn wrote:
Sanaazim wrote:
russn wrote:
Sanaazim wrote:
Sat Jan 16, 2021 4:05 pm

Thanks for reply are u waiting for ceremony and if u don’t mind what was ur date of approval
No probs. I applied on Aug 31 and got the approval email on Oct 27. Still waiting for my invitation letter and the Council still hasn't got my certificate.
Oh wow we are sharing same date me and my husband is also waiting for invitation fingers crossed hopefully we get it soon good luck
Hey. I sent an email last Saturday to ask if my invitation letter and my certificate had been sent out and they just replied saying they did send them out on Jan 13, even with the electronic copy of the letter in the same email. I wonder why Ealing said in their email to me on Jan 16 that they have not received my certificate... maybe it was not registered on the system yet at the time. But yea, ours should be on their way.
Hi. Great news for you. Congrats.
Could you please share the email address you used to ask about the invitaion?

jingade
Newly Registered
India

Post by jingade » Tue Jan 19, 2021 4:10 pm

I received an approval on 04th Nov ever since I have been chasing to find an update through emails and calls to couple of nos but did not get much response.

Based on one of the suggestions from this forum I wrote an email on 15th Jan nationalitysupportteamfmt@homeoffice.gov.uk,
citizenship.support@homeoffice.gov.uk to which I got a response today that invitation has been dispatched on 14th January by 2nd class post, please allow 10-14 days for delivery.

I did contact citizen_sp@kent.gov.uk got same response today they havent received any certificates as yet and said We will contact you with a ceremony date and time once we receive your Certificate.
They are not doing any virtual / online ceremonies either.

Anybody else got any confirmation on ceremonies here from Kent council ?

FrenchBaguette
Newly Registered
France

Post by FrenchBaguette » Tue Jan 19, 2021 4:29 pm

Hi folks,

I received my approval decision letter on 8 October 2020 by email (attached PDF).

I was under the assumption that the invitation that we are all waiting for would also come by email, however, I am reading here about a "brown envelope" – are you guys telling me that the invitation comes via the post and not by email ?

I have not returned from Xmas break yet so I'm thinking maybe its already in my mailbox :shock: ?

Cheers!

dragon098
Mood:

Post by dragon098 » Tue Jan 19, 2021 4:39 pm

Hi,

I was approved on 21 OCT and last week I noticed that my council Wandsworth had my certificate by checking online but I haven't received my invitation letter yet. Royal Mail in Wandsworth (SW18) has severe delays, last week didn't get to see any postman.
However, I did email my council and they called me back and booked me in for 26th Jan virtual ceremony in Teams for FREE. I did tell her that I don't have my invitation letter but hopefully, I'll get it within this week. She told me, that I need to have an invitation letter and Passport. I am now worried what will happen when my turns comes and I don't have invitation letter.

Anyone from Wandsworth, have you guys received invitation letter.

dragon098
Mood:

Post by dragon098 » Tue Jan 19, 2021 4:40 pm

FrenchBaguette wrote:
Tue Jan 19, 2021 4:29 pm
Hi folks,

I received my approval decision letter on 8 October 2020 by email (attached PDF).

I was under the assumption that the invitation that we are all waiting for would also come by email, however, I am reading here about a "brown envelope" – are you guys telling me that the invitation comes via the post and not by email ?

I have not returned from Xmas break yet so I'm thinking maybe its already in my mailbox :shock: ?

Cheers!
Most of us are getting by post but some are getting email.

FrenchBaguette
Newly Registered
France

Post by FrenchBaguette » Tue Jan 19, 2021 4:53 pm

dragon098 wrote:
Tue Jan 19, 2021 4:40 pm
FrenchBaguette wrote:
Tue Jan 19, 2021 4:29 pm
Hi folks,

Cheers!
Most of us are getting by post but some are getting email.
Thank you Dragon. Quite annoying that they are not doing everything by email...

aswadi
Newly Registered
United Arab Emirates

Post by aswadi » Tue Jan 19, 2021 5:01 pm

If you have received your approval via email, then in the body of that email it states: "If you have received this email in error, please notify us via xxx@homeoffice.gov.uk"

I suggest you contact that email (it can vary by which team manages your approval) if your invitation is late and your council already has the certificate and address it directly to your case worker. Their first name should also be in the body of the email. Simply ask: "Hi xxx, do you have any update on when I will receive my invitation, as I received my approval over x months ago?"

My case worker replied within 3 days sending me the invitation electronically.

I would absolutely advise against spamming the home office if it's clear that no one with a similar approval date has received an invitation.

russn
Newly Registered
Hong Kong

Post by russn » Tue Jan 19, 2021 5:03 pm

Sanaazim wrote:
Tue Jan 19, 2021 3:21 pm
russn wrote:
Sanaazim wrote:
russn wrote:

That’s awesome news can u plz let me k ow what email address u used and now that u have electronic copy are u going to email council again for ceremony? Or still going to wait for post
I just replied to the decision email I received back in October - didn't try any other email addresses. I might email the council to see if they offer any paid private ceremonies. Keen to get this over the line obviously... Shame that they don't do virtual ones smh...

MALCOM2

Post by MALCOM2 » Tue Jan 19, 2021 5:53 pm

tkp wrote:
Tue Jan 19, 2021 2:53 pm
Good news for me today. I've just received the brown envelope. My timeline as below:
---
Applied: 23 August
Approved: 19 Nov
Letter received: 19 Jan (by post), letter date: 29 Dec.
Council: Southwark
Good luck everyone waiting.
Congratulations. I’m also waiting for my invitation letter. My council is Southwark also .Approval date 25 of November. Please let me know how soon you can book your ceremony. Thanks

London249
Pakistan

Post by London249 » Tue Jan 19, 2021 6:27 pm

MALCOM2 wrote:
Tue Jan 19, 2021 5:53 pm
tkp wrote:
Tue Jan 19, 2021 2:53 pm
Good news for me today. I've just received the brown envelope. My timeline as below:
---
Applied: 23 August
Approved: 19 Nov
Letter received: 19 Jan (by post), letter date: 29 Dec.
Council: Southwark
Good luck everyone waiting.
Congratulations. I’m also waiting for my invitation letter. My council is Southwark also .Approval date 25 of November. Please let me know how soon you can book your ceremony. Thanks
Mine is 9th of November still waiting really don’t know how they dispatch?

Yazzz95
Mood:

Post by Yazzz95 » Tue Jan 19, 2021 6:34 pm

shahzy970 wrote:
Tue Jan 19, 2021 3:42 pm
Yazzz95 wrote:
Tue Jan 19, 2021 5:17 am
shahzy970 wrote:
Mon Jan 18, 2021 3:24 pm
Hi All,

I managed to get in touch Newham council today. Unfortunately, they cannot conduct any ceremonies ( group/private/virtual) until end of Jan although they advised if I want to change council, I could do by emailing citizenship.support@homeoffice.gov.uk.

Really frustrating tbh you wait all this time and still the waiting is neverending - the whole process is shambles tbh

Anyone in a similar situation? did anyone request to change council by any chance?

Thanks
My council is also newham. Hopefully I will get my invitation letter in next couple of weeks (approved on 5th nov).
Guess I'll have another waiting period from council as they will have to clear backlog first after resuming ceremonies. 😩
Hi,
I am sure you'll your invitation letters in the coming days/weeks.

In terms of ceremony, unfortunately, Newham council is not conducting any sort of ceremonies which is bizarre tbh considering other councils are putting an effort to clear backlogs by arranging virtual or private ceremonies. I am really not sure why they are pilling up certificates without even loading them on the system.

You will not be able to book ceremony online as Newham council has received loads of certificate which hasn't been uploaded on the system yet, hence every time you'd try to book online it would say" Home Office Number Not Found".

I would advise you to chase up with the council and try to escalate to see if they can arrange private or virtual ceremony just like other councils and reach out to local councillor or mayor.

Let us know if you hear back anything.

Thanks
Hi Shazy,

Check their website. I tried to check just now and system has find my details.
I have booked group ceremony on 2nd Feb (giving time in between to recieve my invitation letter).
Im sure you'll be able to book your ceremony too.
Thanks.

London249
Pakistan

Post by London249 » Tue Jan 19, 2021 7:04 pm

Home office response received via email,
However, we can confirm that we have just completed the processing of certificates and ceremony invitations for applications that were approved on and before 3 November and have now commenced processing those for applications approved on 4 November 2020. Ceremony invites are sent by 2nd class post and can take up to 10 working days to be delivered.
We will update our website with any new information, in particular, in relation to the time it might take to despatch certificates. Please be assured that once a customer receives their Citizenship Ceremony Invitation Letter, they will still have up to six months within which to complete ceremony.

onyx_ng
Newly Registered
Mood:
Nigeria

Post by onyx_ng » Tue Jan 19, 2021 7:06 pm

mrmo93 wrote:
Tue Jan 19, 2021 3:37 pm
onyx_ng wrote:
Tue Jan 19, 2021 12:50 pm
mrmo93 wrote:
Mon Jan 18, 2021 6:51 pm
Anyone from Kent get an update?
I had a 14th of January ceremony cancelled and rescheduled for today. I emailed 'Citizen_SP@kent.gov.uk' after the cancellation and they called me back a couple of days later to ok a time.
Awesome when was your approval?
25th of September :?

asifmahmood36
Newly Registered

Post by asifmahmood36 » Tue Jan 19, 2021 10:52 pm

dragon098 wrote:
Tue Jan 19, 2021 4:39 pm
Hi,

I was approved on 21 OCT and last week I noticed that my council Wandsworth had my certificate by checking online but I haven't received my invitation letter yet. Royal Mail in Wandsworth (SW18) has severe delays, last week didn't get to see any postman.
However, I did email my council and they called me back and booked me in for 26th Jan virtual ceremony in Teams for FREE. I did tell her that I don't have my invitation letter but hopefully, I'll get it within this week. She told me, that I need to have an invitation letter and Passport. I am now worried what will happen when my turns comes and I don't have invitation letter.

Hello,
I have actually the same situation as you. Strange. I was approved on 27OCT and I also checked Wandsworth council online and my council had my certificate but I have not received my invitation letter yet. I just email the register office and told them the postal situation in the SW18 area and ask them that Can I book the ceremony without an invitation letter. waiting reply.

Update me if you get something.

Leo96
Newly Registered
Mood:

Post by Leo96 » Tue Jan 19, 2021 11:22 pm

Yazzz95 wrote:
Tue Jan 19, 2021 6:34 pm
shahzy970 wrote:
Yazzz95 wrote:
shahzy970 wrote:
Mon Jan 18, 2021 3:24 pm
Hi All,

I managed to get in touch Newham council today. Unfortunately, they cannot conduct any ceremonies ( group/private/virtual) until end of Jan although they advised if I want to change council, I could do by emailing citizenship.support@homeoffice.gov.uk.

Really frustrating tbh you wait all this time and still the waiting is neverending - the whole process is shambles tbh

Anyone in a similar situation? did anyone request to change council by any chance?

Thanks
My council is also newham. Hopefully I will get my invitation letter in next couple of weeks (approved on 5th nov).
Guess I'll have another waiting period from council as they will have to clear backlog first after resuming ceremonies. 😩
Hi,

In terms of ceremony, unfortunately, Newham council is not conducting any sort of ceremonies which is bizarre tbh considering other councils are putting an effort to clear backlogs by arranging virtual or private ceremonies. I am really not sure why they are pilling up certificates without even loading them on the system.

You will not be able to book ceremony online as Newham council has received loads of certificate which hasn't been uploaded on the system yet, hence every time you'd try to book online it would say" Home Office Number Not Found".

I would advise you to chase up with the council and try to escalate to see if they can arrange private or virtual ceremony just like other councils and reach out to local councillor or mayor.

Thanks
Hi Shazy,

I have booked group ceremony on 2nd Feb (giving time in between to recieve my invitation letter).
Thanks.

Hello there,

I am with newham council and have received invitation from home office for a while now.

I tried booking ceremony on the newham website but every time it says reference no not found.

I am not sure if they are updating their system as of yet to book the ceremony.

shahzy970
Mood:
Malaysia

Post by shahzy970 » Tue Jan 19, 2021 11:34 pm

asifmahmood36 wrote:
Tue Jan 19, 2021 10:52 pm
dragon098 wrote:
Hi,

Hello,
I have actually the same situation as you. Strange. I was approved on 27OCT and I also checked Wandsworth council online and my council had my certificate but I have not received my invitation letter yet. I just email the register office and told them the postal situation in the SW18 area and ask them that Can I book the ceremony without an invitation letter. waiting reply.

Thanks for the update! can you share your timeline for approval and invitation letter? I tried but no luck so far

Thanks

shahzy970
Mood:
Malaysia

Post by shahzy970 » Tue Jan 19, 2021 11:38 pm

Leo96 wrote:
Tue Jan 19, 2021 11:22 pm
Yazzz95 wrote:
shahzy970 wrote:
Yazzz95 wrote:

Hi,

Thanks
Hi Shazy,

Thanks.

Hello there,

I am with newham council and have received invitation from home office for a while now.

I tried booking ceremony on the newham website but every time it says reference no not found.

Hi,

I am in the same situation, I tried to escalate this but they said they have received a lot of certificates and they haven't uploaded it on the system yet. when I asked if they can check if they have received mine, they said it's difficult to go through them as most of the resources are used somewhere else.

So yeah pretty frustrating to be honest.. we have been waiting for months and yet the wait never seems to end..

Thanks

asifmahmood36
Newly Registered

Post by asifmahmood36 » Tue Jan 19, 2021 11:44 pm

shahzy970 wrote:
Tue Jan 19, 2021 11:34 pm
asifmahmood36 wrote:
dragon098 wrote:
Hi,

Hello,

Thanks for the update! can you share your timeline for approval and invitation letter? I tried but no luck so far

Thanks

As said I was approved on 27 OCT 20 But have not received my invitation letter yet but checked Wandsworth council site online and they added my certificate in their online system and I am able to book
ceremony online but I have not received the invitation letter yet

shahzy970
Mood:
Malaysia

Post by shahzy970 » Tue Jan 19, 2021 11:45 pm

Leo96 wrote:
Yazzz95 wrote:
shahzy970 wrote:
Yazzz95 wrote:

Hi,

Thanks
Hi Shazy,

Thanks.

Hello there,

Hi Yazzz,

Thanks

shahzy970
Mood:
Malaysia

Post by shahzy970 » Tue Jan 19, 2021 11:47 pm

asifmahmood36 wrote:
Tue Jan 19, 2021 11:44 pm
shahzy970 wrote:
asifmahmood36 wrote:
dragon098 wrote:
Hi,

Hello,

Thanks

As said I was approved on 27 OCT 20 But have not received my invitation letter yet but checked Wandsworth council site online and they added my certificate in their online system and I am able to book
Sorry, I replied to your post by mistake. Was suppose to reply to Yazz.
I hope you get your invitation letter soon. Also, check with the council if they can arrange your ceremony without the invitation letter. I am sure I have seen a few posts here.. in which councils arranged ceremonies without invitation letters.

Thanks & Good Luck

Yazzz95
Mood:

Post by Yazzz95 » Wed Jan 20, 2021 12:06 am

shahzy970 wrote:
Tue Jan 19, 2021 11:45 pm
Leo96 wrote:
Yazzz95 wrote:
shahzy970 wrote:

Hi,

Thanks
Hi Shazy,

Thanks.

Hello there,

Hi Yazzz,

Thanks
Timeline: Applied 15 sep, approved nov. Invitation letter not yet recieved. Was checking newham booking system everyday from January and today when I entered my details system found my record and allowed to to proceed further for booking. I booked mine for 2nd Feb to allow time to recieve my invitation letter. As of their system, they are doing group ceremony every Tuesday and many slots were available.

Thanks.

Yazzz95
Mood:

Post by Yazzz95 » Wed Jan 20, 2021 12:11 am

shahzy970 wrote:
Tue Jan 19, 2021 11:47 pm
asifmahmood36 wrote:
shahzy970 wrote:
asifmahmood36 wrote:

Hello,

Thanks

I hope you get your invitation letter soon. Also, check with the council if they can arrange your ceremony without the invitation letter. I am sure I have seen a few posts here.. in which councils arranged ceremonies without invitation letters.

Thanks & Good Luck
Thanks shahzy, I hope i get my invitation letter before 2n
I suggest you to call registrar office tomorrow to book your ceremony. Today when system found my details and took me to booking page, there were plenty of slots available for group ceremony. (They're doing it every Tuesday from 2 to 2.30 pm).
Thanks.

shahzy970
Mood:
Malaysia

Post by shahzy970 » Wed Jan 20, 2021 12:16 am

Yazzz95 wrote:
Wed Jan 20, 2021 12:11 am
shahzy970 wrote:
asifmahmood36 wrote:
shahzy970 wrote:

Thanks

Thanks & Good Luck
I suggest you to call registrar office tomorrow to book your ceremony. Today when system found my details and took me to booking page, there were plenty of slots available for group ceremony. (They're doing it every Tuesday from 2 to 2.30 pm).
Thanks.
Hi Yazz,

thanks for the update -silly questions but it's defo Newham council right?
I am using this link https://www.newham.gov.uk/advice-suppor ... ryId=20000

let me know if it's the same one?

I have been trying since Dec tbh- but every time I try it says Home office reference not found.

driving me mad :(

Yazzz95
Mood:

Post by Yazzz95 » Wed Jan 20, 2021 12:27 am

shahzy970 wrote:
Wed Jan 20, 2021 12:16 am
Yazzz95 wrote:
Wed Jan 20, 2021 12:11 am
shahzy970 wrote:
asifmahmood36 wrote:

Thanks & Good Luck
Thanks.
Hi Yazz,

thanks for the update -silly questions but it's defo Newham council right?
I am using this link https://www.newham.gov.uk/advice-suppor ... ryId=20000

let me know if it's the same one?

I have been trying since Dec tbh- but every time I try it says Home office reference not found.

driving me mad :(
Yep thats the one.
BTW I have just noticed that once you book your ceremony fist time, you cannot login again in the system.
Yesterday when system found my details I booked my ceremony straightaway. But now just to see if I can login again, system can't find my details anymore.
So I think once the ceremony is booked and to do any changes you have to contact council directly and can't reuse the system)
Just thought to share this.