ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Travel after naturalisation but before British passport

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

kamalshah74
Newly Registered
Kenya

Travel after naturalisation but before British passport

Post by kamalshah74 » Thu Jan 21, 2021 10:46 pm

Hi there,

I have received my naturalisation certificate and need to travel for work in 2 weeks time (and hence not applying for British passport yet). I understand that the BRP needs to be returned or a reason for not returning it. Can i therefore travel on my foreign passport during this time and what do i show to re-enter the UK on my foreign passport if i have returned my BPR? Would airlines allow boarding on the basis of a naturalisation certificate?

Thanks
K

CULLINAN
Respected Guru
Pakistan

Re: Travel after naturalisation but before British passport

Post by CULLINAN » Thu Jan 21, 2021 11:58 pm

No.
Travelling to and from the UK
Once you have a British passport you must use this to enter the UK.

If you do not want a British passport you can apply for a certificate of entitlement instead.

You cannot enter the UK using your BRP or certificate of British citizenship.
https://www.gov.uk/apply-citizenship-sp ... ertificate
Personal opinion only, not to be mistaken for legal advice. Please DO NOT PM me for immigration advice. Love for All, Hatred for None.

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Thu Jan 21, 2021 11:59 pm

If you plan to travel abroad, don't surrender your ILR BRP. Travel and return using that BRP. It is possible that you may be fined upto £1000, but that is what you risk for choosing to travel between naturalisation and acquiring a British passport.

It is also possible that the Immigration Officer at the UK border may confiscate your ILR BRP on return, as it is no longer valid.
kamalshah74 wrote:
Thu Jan 21, 2021 10:46 pm
Would airlines allow boarding on the basis of a naturalisation certificate?
No. A naturalisation certificate is not a travel document and will likely be rejected by airlines.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

kamalshah74
Newly Registered
Kenya

Post by kamalshah74 » Fri Jan 22, 2021 8:01 pm

Thanks