ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Expiring passport EUFAM

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

shpirtshqipe
Member of Standing

Expiring passport EUFAM

Post by shpirtshqipe » Wed Jan 20, 2021 10:09 pm

Hi all

I am looking for some advise please

The non-eu member native country’s passport is expiring end of February 2021.

The person has not been able to travel back to the home country or the UK (nearest home country embassy) because of the pandemic and older age.

The embassy in london has stopped all consular services until at least end of February.

The only option remains to get an emergency travel document (embassy is willing to sort out) so the person can travel to the home country and renew the passport. Because of Covid and older age the risk is too high travelling at this present time.

The person isn’t in any urgency or hurry to travel outside Ireland and doesn’t work either.

My question is whether this will affect the person’s EUFAM status with an expired passport after February?

We are in the process of writing a letter to INIS and explain the situation but I was hoping whether anyone else has anything further to add or suggest

Thank you in advance

ShpirtShqipe

Vorona
- thin ice -
Ireland

Re: Expiring passport EUFAM

Post by Vorona » Thu Jan 21, 2021 12:42 am

shpirtshqipe wrote:
Wed Jan 20, 2021 10:09 pm
My question is whether this will affect the person’s EUFAM status with an expired passport after February?

We are in the process of writing a letter to INIS and explain the situation but I was hoping whether anyone else has anything further to add or suggest

Thank you in advance
Permissions to remain in Ireland are normally limited to the passport expiration date. It is very important to have a valid passport to be able to renew a permission without gaps and avoid becoming illegal.
However, given the current situation and recent notice of currently valid permission being prolonged up until April, I think there's a possibility that a person may be given a temporary extension beyond validity of their passport as a one off exemption so to allow them enough time to get a new passport.

Only valid passports are accepted when renewing the permission. Expired passport cannot be accepted.

raja.brit
Member of Standing
Jamaica

Post by raja.brit » Thu Jan 21, 2021 1:45 pm

shpirtshqipe wrote:
Wed Jan 20, 2021 10:09 pm
Hi all

I am looking for some advise please

The non-eu member native country’s passport is expiring end of February 2021.

The person has not been able to travel back to the home country or the UK (nearest home country embassy) because of the pandemic and older age.

The embassy in london has stopped all consular services until at least end of February.

The only option remains to get an emergency travel document (embassy is willing to sort out) so the person can travel to the home country and renew the passport. Because of Covid and older age the risk is too high travelling at this present time.

The person isn’t in any urgency or hurry to travel outside Ireland and doesn’t work either.

Thank you in advance

ShpirtShqipe
How are you ShpirtShqipe? Long time.

Notice | Minister announces further temporary extension of immigration permissions and the closure of the Burgh Quay Registration Office from 23 December 2020
22 December 2020

This notice applies to Immigration and International Protection permissions to reside in the State that are due to expire between 21st January 2021 and 20th April 2021 and supplements all previous extension notices. This is the sixth, and expected to be the final, extension of permissions implemented since the outset of the pandemic.

In light of the uncertainties caused by the Coronavirus pandemic, COVID-19, the following notice applies to all persons with a current valid permission due to expire from 21st January 2021 to 20th April 2021, whether pursuant to domestic law or powers of the Minister, or Directive 2004/38/EC (Free Movement Directive).

I suppose the permission should be automatically extended till April. As Vorona said, fingers crossed for further extension if you are unable to renew the Passport.

I renewed my mum's passport 1 year before the expiry to avoid such issues. Shame you couldn't do it in Ireland.

It will interesting to know what INIS is willing to do n you may keep us posted.

Good luck!

shpirtshqipe
Member of Standing

Post by shpirtshqipe » Sun Jan 24, 2021 12:33 pm

Hi both

Thanks for your replies

@Raja.brit
Long time indeed my friend. Life is good all things considered and hope same goes for you

I will update this thread once I receive a reply from INIS.

Regards