ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Application question

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

lakis
Newly Registered
Greece

Absense for more than 450 days

Post by lakis » Sun Jan 24, 2021 8:56 pm

Hi guys,

Due to my previous work, I travelled 490 days in the last 5 years. However, it was my job role that it was important to travel. 2 questions:

1. Is it a reason to not pass the application? Do I need to provide evidence of these absences as it was part of my role? What would you propose to do?

2. In the application form, it says if I meet the criteria of absence, I assume I need to press no at that point and explain myself in the following form? Or I should choose yes, as most of my absences were part of business trips?

Thanks in advance!

CULLINAN
Respected Guru
Pakistan

Re: Absense for more than 450 days

Post by CULLINAN » Sun Jan 24, 2021 9:13 pm

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.u ... ber_20.pdf

Page 11

Absences up to 480 days are normally disregarded. Otherwise you will have to meet other requirements as set out in the above link.
Personal opinion only, not to be mistaken for legal advice. Please DO NOT PM me for immigration advice. Love for All, Hatred for None.

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Sun Jan 24, 2021 9:30 pm

lakis wrote:
Sun Jan 24, 2021 8:56 pm
Do I need to provide evidence of these absences as it was part of my role?
Recommended.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

lakis
Newly Registered
Greece

Post by lakis » Sun Jan 24, 2021 9:49 pm

thanks for your answers. can you please let me know what to choose on the form? should I chose that I meet the criteria of absence?

CULLINAN
Respected Guru
Pakistan

Post by CULLINAN » Sun Jan 24, 2021 10:00 pm

lakis wrote:
Sun Jan 24, 2021 9:49 pm
thanks for your answers. can you please let me know what to choose on the form? should I chose that I meet the criteria of absence?
You do not meet the criteria. You will have to explain and meet requirements as per the guidance if you exceed 450 days. Also note, it is upon discretion.

The best would be to wait till you meet the 450 days requirement or at least below 480 days to be disregarded (with an explanation and evidence).
Personal opinion only, not to be mistaken for legal advice. Please DO NOT PM me for immigration advice. Love for All, Hatred for None.

lakis
Newly Registered
Greece

Application question

Post by lakis » Thu Feb 11, 2021 6:53 pm

Hi guys,

I am finishing my application and I have some questions:

I have exceeded the 450 days of absence as I was working for a company and it was mandatory to travel abroad. I provide a letter from my employer that confirms that. However, I am a bit confused with the application form.

So in the application, there is the first question:" Do you meet these residence requirements?" Which the answer is no as I have exceeded the days. There I explain further.

Further down on the form there is another question: "Are there any reasons why you cannot meet the requirements to become a British citizen (for example, you have had too many absences from the UK)?" Which I answer Yes and I state exactly the same reason.

After the above, there is one last question: "If you do not meet the statutory requirements to become a British citizen, are there any special circumstances why you think the Home Secretary should still grant your application?"

In this one, I am not sure what to answer. I mean I meet all the criteria except the absences which I have explained above. I assume I should say No to the last one or say Yes and just explain the same.

Just to add that my employer provided me with a letter that states that I had to travel a lot outside the UK for business purposes. I assume this is strong evidence. Would you add something else?