ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Documents required for citizenship application

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

ztech
Mood:

Documents required for citizenship application

Post by ztech » Mon Oct 26, 2020 1:32 am

Hi

I have had an ILR for 10 years and will be eligible to apply for citizenship in February. I was a bit naughty ( ignorant more like ) and overstayed my previous visa by a year, hence why it has taken me so long.

The thing that I now apply for - is it naturalization or citizenship or are both the same ? And, when can I get my passport?

More importantly, what documents do I require to apply for naturalization / citizenship ?

Thanks.

CULLINAN
Respected Guru
Pakistan

Re: Documents required for citizenship application

Post by CULLINAN » Mon Oct 26, 2020 12:47 pm

ztech wrote:
Mon Oct 26, 2020 1:32 am
Hi

I have had an ILR for 10 years and will be eligible to apply for citizenship in February. I was a bit naughty ( ignorant more like ) and overstayed my previous visa by a year, hence why it has taken me so long.

The thing that I now apply for - is it naturalization or citizenship or are both the same ? And, when can I get my passport?

More importantly, what documents do I require to apply for naturalization / citizenship ?

Thanks.
https://assets.publishing.service.gov.u ... uly_20.pdf

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.u ... gov-uk.pdf
Personal opinion only, not to be mistaken for legal advice. Please DO NOT PM me for immigration advice. Love for All, Hatred for None.

Zerubbabel
Respected Guru
Mood:

Post by Zerubbabel » Mon Oct 26, 2020 4:39 pm

And, when can I get my passport?
You are not applying for a passport but for British citizenship.

The passport is a travel document. It doesn't even prove that the holder is a British citizen. Many British don't have a passport as they don't travel, so they don't need it.

Usually, there are less documents required for naturalisation than for an ILR. Fill the application online, then when you are done, it will tell you what documents are required. Typically it's:

- Passport
- Your ILR
- Life in the UK test
- English test unless exempt
- Referees documents signed

That's the minimum but you could be asked for more depending on your situation such as a marriage certificate if you apply on the basis that you married to a British national... etc. So apply and you'll see what documents are needed for you.

If successful, you get approved, then you go through a ceremony then they give you a British Citizenship certificate. They don't give you a passport.

If you need to travel, you have to start an application with HPMO to get a British passport.

ztech
Mood:

Post by ztech » Mon Oct 26, 2020 6:51 pm

Thank you both.

How long does it take to get the results of a Naturlization application? And, afterwards, do I have to wait before applying to HMPO for a passport.

I like travelling and the visa-free status that a British passport commandeers greatly interests me.

CULLINAN
Respected Guru
Pakistan

Post by CULLINAN » Mon Oct 26, 2020 7:12 pm

Approval: normal service standards can take up to 6 months.
Ceremony invitation: 3-5 months or more due to corona plus more time depending on council availability.
Passport: up to 6 weeks.

You can travel on your ILR BRP before you attend the ceremony i.e. before you become British on the date of ceremony. You can only apply for a BP after you are British.
Personal opinion only, not to be mistaken for legal advice. Please DO NOT PM me for immigration advice. Love for All, Hatred for None.

alterhase58
Germany

Post by alterhase58 » Mon Oct 26, 2020 7:15 pm

ztech wrote:
Mon Oct 26, 2020 6:51 pm
Thank you both.

How long does it take to get the results of a Naturlization application? And, afterwards, do I have to wait before applying to HMPO for a passport.

I like travelling and the visa-free status that a British passport commandeers greatly interests me.
It can take from a few weeks to six months (UKVI service standard!), or sometimes longer. Plus waiting for the ceremony which can add weeks or months, currently due to Covid.

Once you have your naturalisation certificate you are British and can immediately apply for a passport, online or paper form.

PS. @Cullinan beat me to it.
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

ztech
Mood:

Post by ztech » Tue Oct 27, 2020 1:54 am

:shock: Dammmm, so, I am looking at over a year before I can get my hands on a passport. :cry:

ztech
Mood:

Post by ztech » Fri Oct 30, 2020 2:09 am

Hello again

After reading the two links by Cullinan, these are the documents that I see are required :

-Parking tickets
-BRP
-Passport
-Life in UK test stamped and signedby the TestSupervisor,if you passed the test before 1 October 2019
-UK degree certificate
-Evidence of lawful residence during the 5 years before the date of the application.
-The Home Office letter by which you were given permission to
remain permanently in the UK

What does 'Evidence of lawful residence during the 5 years before the date of the application' include?
And, I heard that you need two referee statements as well ?

CULLINAN
Respected Guru
Pakistan

Post by CULLINAN » Fri Oct 30, 2020 2:48 am

What does 'Evidence of lawful residence during the 5 years before the date of the application' include?
Passport stamps covering the 5 years qualifying period.

Yes 2 referees.

https://visas-immigration.service.gov.u ... on_MN1.pdf

Parking tickets are not relevant unless you have numerous. FPN’s/convictions must be declared.

ztech
Mood:

Post by ztech » Sat Jan 23, 2021 10:08 pm

I do have a few parking tickets like parked on single/double yellow. About 10 over the last 5 years.
I also have two which I am fighting with the council at the Tribunal.
Will these need to be declared?

CULLINAN
Respected Guru
Pakistan

Post by CULLINAN » Sun Jan 24, 2021 2:26 pm

Read the guidance regarding FPNs.
https://assets.publishing.service.gov.u ... gov-uk.pdf

Also:

Most Parking Charge Notices are a civil matter. Plus PCN is issued to the vehicle. PCN could result in a CCJ though. If you do not have a CCJ, no need to declare.

An unpaid PCN penalty is treated as a civil debt and you could be pursued through the county court system or even get a visit from the bailiff if the debt remains unpaid.

However, some local authorities don’t have civil parking enforcement powers and in these areas parking is enforced by the police or police-employed traffic wardens who will issue a Fixed Penalty Notice (FPN) enforced through the criminal justice system.

Some more serious parking offences like parking on red routes or zig-zag markings are also enforced by the police or traffic wardens through the criminal justice system.

So you need to check if you have a PCN or FPN. No need to declare PCNs.

ztech
Mood:

Post by ztech » Mon Jan 25, 2021 2:04 am

Just PCN'S my dear Cullinan.

I am now eligible to apply for naturlization but I am in two minds. Due to COVID , I lost my £65k job and have been sitting at home since October. I am actively looking but due to lockdowns and everyone wfh, it's not easy. Should I wait till I have a job?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Mon Jan 25, 2021 7:06 am

Employment is NOT a requirement for citizenship.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

ztech
Mood:

Post by ztech » Sat Jan 30, 2021 2:11 am

Thank you.

ztech
Mood:

Post by ztech » Wed Feb 10, 2021 2:42 am

I filled in the form and submitted it and have now realized that I mentioned that I passed the Life in the UK test but did not enter the Test ref no.
Is there anyone to contact to provide this information or no need to worry about it ?

I will also be changing my mobile no. in the coming months. Do I need to let HO know?

I tried to book a slot but it seems none are available!

alterhase58
Germany

Post by alterhase58 » Wed Feb 10, 2021 10:04 am

As you haven't had your biometrics appointment yet you should still be able to upload documents. Best to explain in a letter giving all the details including new phone number and load with the other documents.
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

ztech
Mood:

Post by ztech » Sun Mar 14, 2021 6:45 pm

CULLINAN wrote:
Fri Oct 30, 2020 2:48 am
Passport stamps covering the 5 years qualifying period.

Yes 2 referees.

https://visas-immigration.service.gov.u ... on_MN1.pdf

Parking tickets are not relevant unless you have numerous. FPN’s/convictions must be declared.
CULLINAN, I was told at my appointment that I have to upload last 5 years' payslips, P60's and council tax bills. Can you please shed some light?

CULLINAN
Respected Guru
Pakistan

Post by CULLINAN » Sun Mar 14, 2021 7:05 pm

As long you have a non-EEA passport, you dont need any of those.

ztech
Mood:

Post by ztech » Sun Mar 14, 2021 8:51 pm

Thanks.
The guy at the UKVCAS was European and when I pointed out that I don't need to upload any P60's payslips , etc. , he told me that he is an immigration adviser and surely he knows more.

:? These places need to hire people who know their stuff.

CULLINAN
Respected Guru
Pakistan

Post by CULLINAN » Sun Mar 14, 2021 9:27 pm

UKVCAS staff knows nothing/very little about immigration matters. I was on Tier 1 Entrepreneur visa and according to the requirements, I had to submit employee’s passport copy. The UKVCAS lady said why are you submitting your wife’s passport copy?!?! It took a while to explain she is my employee!
Ignore..you do not need anything except passport stamps.

ztech
Mood:

Post by ztech » Mon Mar 15, 2021 1:36 am

Thank you Sir.
What a journey it has been. I might write a book one day . British in 20 years.

ztech
Mood:

Post by ztech » Fri Jul 02, 2021 11:10 pm

Good news everyone.
I got my citizenship invitation letter 2 weeks ago.

So, it has taken about 3 months.

Special thanks to Uncle CULLINAN. Hats off to you.

Maria7700
Newly Registered
Bulgaria

Post by Maria7700 » Sun Jul 04, 2021 9:21 am

ztech wrote:
Fri Jul 02, 2021 11:10 pm
Good news everyone.
I got my citizenship invitation letter 2 weeks ago.

So, it has taken about 3 months.

Special thanks to Uncle CULLINAN. Hats off to you.
When is the ceremony?

ztech
Mood:

Post by ztech » Sun Jul 04, 2021 2:16 pm

I don't know yet.
There was a number on my letter. When I rung it, an automated message told me to visit my council's website. And, on the website, I was asked to fill in a form and I will soon be contacted.

ztech
Mood:

Post by ztech » Mon Jul 19, 2021 6:28 pm

CULLINAN, ceremony done today. Next, let's get the passport.