ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Citizenship Ceremony cancelled due to Covid-19

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

Yazzz95
Mood:

Re: Citizenship Ceremony cancelled due to Covid-19

Post by Yazzz95 » Tue Jan 26, 2021 2:14 pm

shahzy970 wrote:
Tue Jan 26, 2021 3:46 am
Yazzz95 wrote:
Mon Jan 25, 2021 10:12 pm
shahzy970 wrote:
Mon Jan 25, 2021 5:08 pm
Yazzz95 wrote:
Mon Jan 25, 2021 3:43 am

Hi Shahzy,
Did you manage to contact them ??
Did they book you for ceremony ??
Hi Yazz,
yep- they've advised check the website, as they have started loading certificates on the website.
Nothing so far, I'll keep checking.

Is your ceremony next week?

Thanks
Hi,
Yes it is booked for next Tuesday. But at this point I'm still confused as I've seen few members here from Newham council who are still unable to book ceremony. Thats why I'm not sure. They might cancel it last minute by saying they are not conducting ceremonies in lockdown.
I might call them to reconfirm my ceremony.
Thank you. And good luck. Hopefully you'll have your ceremony at earliest date.
Hi,
That's good to hear. let us know how it goes.

That's true if you can give a call to the council and let us know if your ceremony is still scheduled for Tuesday?

I will check back on the website again later today.

Thanks
Mohammed
There are no ceremonies during lockdown. I was advised to send an email to registrar office and they will book me after resuming ceremonies. was happy for nothing. 😪😡

CULLINAN
Respected Guru
Pakistan

Post by CULLINAN » Tue Jan 26, 2021 2:15 pm

Bazaar wrote:
Tue Jan 26, 2021 1:54 pm
Congrats !
can I ask you, since I'm with Hounslow council as well.. still waiting for the invitation but if you do a private ceremony at Hounslow council, is it just you and maybe a guest? do they take a photo with a portrait with the Queen, do they give you anything besides the certificate ?
thanks
Hounslow is only offering paid virtual ceremonies for now (within 2-3 weeks) or free virtual ceremonies from April.
Personal opinion only, not to be mistaken for legal advice. Please DO NOT PM me for immigration advice. Love for All, Hatred for None.

shahzy970
Mood:
Malaysia

Post by shahzy970 » Tue Jan 26, 2021 2:37 pm

Yazzz95 wrote:
Tue Jan 26, 2021 2:14 pm
shahzy970 wrote:
Yazzz95 wrote:
shahzy970 wrote:
Mon Jan 25, 2021 5:08 pm

Hi Yazz,
yep- they've advised check the website, as they have started loading certificates on the website.
Nothing so far, I'll keep checking.

Is your ceremony next week?

Thanks
Hi,
Yes it is booked for next Tuesday. But at this point I'm still confused as I've seen few members here from Newham council who are still unable to book ceremony. Thats why I'm not sure. They might cancel it last minute by saying they are not conducting ceremonies in lockdown.
Hi,

That's true if you can give a call to the council and let us know if your ceremony is still scheduled for Tuesday?

Thanks
Mohammed
There are no ceremonies during lockdown. I was advised to send an email to registrar office and they will book me after resuming ceremonies. was happy for nothing. 😪😡
Hi,
I am so sorry to hear! This is really frustrating.. Do you think it would be wise to reach out to local councillor? or maybe Mayor of Newham?
Why can't Newham start virtual ceremonies like other councils?

Let us know if your situation changes.. Once again so sorry to hear that! I have no information regarding my certificate so far..which is even more depressing tbh.

Thanks

Jefymum

Post by Jefymum » Tue Jan 26, 2021 2:40 pm

Bazaar wrote:
Jefymum wrote:
Tue Jan 26, 2021 12:00 pm

Date of approval: 20th October
Invitation recipient: 13 January
Emailed Hounslow Council, called back next two days later and offered free virtual ceremony for 7th April, thanks to this forum I requested for private ceremony...£125 for 26th January.
Virtual ceremony....took less than 15 minutes. Picked up certificate 5 mins after ceremony. All done now...I'm over the moon. good luck to all who are waiting. Thanks Cullinan and all moderators. Where is Obie? He was very helpful in my EEA journey
Congrats !
can I ask you, since I'm with Hounslow council as well.. still waiting for the invitation but if you do a private ceremony at Hounslow council, is it just you and maybe a guest? do they take a photo with a portrait with the Queen, do they give you anything besides the certificate ?
thanks
It was a virtual ceremony, I wish I asked if my family would be part as I have seen someone with her family included in the virtual ceremony. So please do ask the lady if you can have that.

I just received the naturalization certificate and welcome from them.....hand delivered. Good luck

CULLINAN
Respected Guru
Pakistan

Post by CULLINAN » Tue Jan 26, 2021 2:41 pm

Anyone in the family can attend/be part of virtual ceremony. There is no restriction on that.
Personal opinion only, not to be mistaken for legal advice. Please DO NOT PM me for immigration advice. Love for All, Hatred for None.

Jefymum

Post by Jefymum » Tue Jan 26, 2021 2:43 pm

CULLINAN wrote:
Tue Jan 26, 2021 12:24 pm
Congratulations @Jefymum.
Thanks Cullinan, you were extremely helpful....God bless.

Gard
Newly Registered

Post by Gard » Tue Jan 26, 2021 2:46 pm

mrmo93 wrote:
Mon Jan 25, 2021 10:24 pm
Gard wrote:
Mon Jan 25, 2021 4:48 pm
Finally I received HO invitation latter today.
Approved: 21st of October
Invitation printing date: 31st of Dec
Latter received by post: 25th of January

Contacted Manchester city council and they said they are posting their own invitation from this week. Another waiting period started now.

Guys I have received virtual ceremony invitation latter from Manchester City Council today. And that would be 3rd of February at 11:30am. Thanks everyone and hope all the best for you all.

Yazzz95
Mood:

Post by Yazzz95 » Tue Jan 26, 2021 3:02 pm

shahzy970 wrote:
Tue Jan 26, 2021 2:37 pm
Yazzz95 wrote:
shahzy970 wrote:
Yazzz95 wrote:

Hi,
Hi,

Thanks
Mohammed
Hi,
I am so sorry to hear! This is really frustrating.. Do you think it would be wise to reach out to local councillor? or maybe Mayor of Newham?

Let us know if your situation changes.. Once again so sorry to hear that! I have no information regarding my certificate so far..which is even more depressing tbh.

Thanks
I've sent an email to registrar office. Waiting for their reply but if there's no helpful response then I might contact local councillor/ mayor of newham. First had to wait three months for invitation and now 2nd waiting period until the end of lockdown and who knows when this lockdown will end 😞 also considering population of newham, this will only increase backlog and further delays in ceremonies.

Yazzz95
Mood:

Post by Yazzz95 » Tue Jan 26, 2021 3:23 pm

shahzy970 wrote:
Yazzz95 wrote:
shahzy970 wrote:
Yazzz95 wrote:

Hi,
Hi,

Thanks
Mohammed
Hi,

Thanks
They still hasn't confirmed you whether they have got your certificate or not. That must be really stressful for you. I hope they book you for earliest slot after resuming ceremonies as you was approved well before me.

Good luck and please update if you hear anything from them as well.
Thank you.

Bikerboy86
Newly Registered
Mood:

Post by Bikerboy86 » Tue Jan 26, 2021 3:27 pm

aliabbas wrote:
Mon Jan 25, 2021 11:19 pm
PhantomPermit wrote:
Mon Jan 25, 2021 4:32 pm
aliabbas wrote:
Mon Jan 25, 2021 2:58 pm
PhantomPermit wrote:
Fri Jan 22, 2021 3:36 pm
another week gone no sign of an invitation

15 October approval
Any undates ? Nothing from my side 16 October approval called the council today n they haven't got anything either . Seriously 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️
i spoke to homeoffice person today. he said invitations for applicants before 11th of nov were sent last Friday by 2nd class post but I don't trust HO. They are incompetent to say the least.
They dont care about immigrants its not high priority for them. Using 2nd class for posts disgraceful
They r so liers OmG how can anybody trust them I rang them today and was told till 11 nov was posted on 12 jan . Seriously 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️
Lol I called HO just now. I was told 9th of November were sent out on 14th Jan. I don't trust them though

shahzy970
Mood:
Malaysia

Post by shahzy970 » Tue Jan 26, 2021 3:50 pm

Yazzz95 wrote:
Tue Jan 26, 2021 3:02 pm
shahzy970 wrote:
Yazzz95 wrote:
shahzy970 wrote:

Hi,

Thanks
Mohammed
Hi,

Thanks
I've sent an email to registrar office. Waiting for their reply but if there's no helpful response then I might contact local councillor/ mayor of newham. First had to wait three months for invitation and now 2nd waiting period until the end of lockdown and who knows when this lockdown will end 😞 also considering population of newham, this will only increase backlog and further delays in ceremonies.
Ok Sure- let me know if you hear back from the council.

Thanks

shahzy970
Mood:
Malaysia

Post by shahzy970 » Tue Jan 26, 2021 3:51 pm

Yazzz95 wrote:
Tue Jan 26, 2021 3:23 pm
shahzy970 wrote:
Yazzz95 wrote:
shahzy970 wrote:

Hi,

Thanks
Mohammed
Hi,

Thanks
They still hasn't confirmed you whether they have got your certificate or not. That must be really stressful for you. I hope they book you for earliest slot after resuming ceremonies as you was approved well before me.

Thank you.
yes, that's correct- they keep saying they cannot check due to lack of resources and I have to keep checking website if see it's loaded. it' is really frustrating.. This whole process is turning into a nightmare now tbh.

Thanks

YanisAAK
Newly Registered

Post by YanisAAK » Tue Jan 26, 2021 3:56 pm

shahzy970 wrote:
Tue Jan 26, 2021 3:51 pm
Yazzz95 wrote:
shahzy970 wrote:
Yazzz95 wrote:

Hi,

Thanks

Thank you.
yes, that's correct- they keep saying they cannot check due to lack of resources and I have to keep checking website if see it's loaded. it' is really frustrating.. This whole process is turning into a nightmare now tbh.

Thanks
Good plan. I d do the same. I am from Newham, approved on 28 Oct and still waiting for invitation letter.
I emailed the register office last week but no reply. I called them and they told me there will be no cérémonies until end of lockdown and that they have received many invitation letters but they would not upload in the system as they dealing with a high number of deaths.
What they need to do is to hire temporarily staff to deal with this and start virtual ceremonies. But they seem to be lacking behind other councils

pnadkarni
Newly Registered

Post by pnadkarni » Tue Jan 26, 2021 3:58 pm

Hi all, i have been a silent reader of this forum and it has been so helpful to get clarity on the process! I am also from Newham council and was receieved my approvel on 22nd Oct and the citizenship ceremony invite came in on 16 Jan (was sent by HO on 30th Dec). I was trying the Newham booking page since 16th Jan and was getting a 'Home office ref not recognised' error message. Suddently, yesterday, was able to get through the system and was able to book ceremony (group) on 16th Feb. My wife got an earlier slot (9th Feb) - so we called up the Register office to check. They did not mention anything about ceremonies not happening during lockdown... we were finally able to get one slot on 16th Feb - but reading other messages around Newham, will probably call them and re-check that ceremonies are indeed happening. Anyways, its a matter of time - although quite frustrating after all of the wait!!!

shahzy970
Mood:
Malaysia

Post by shahzy970 » Tue Jan 26, 2021 4:10 pm

YanisAAK wrote:
Tue Jan 26, 2021 3:56 pm
shahzy970 wrote:
Tue Jan 26, 2021 3:51 pm
Yazzz95 wrote:
shahzy970 wrote:

Hi,

Thanks

Thank you.

Thanks
Good plan. I d do the same. I am from Newham, approved on 28 Oct and still waiting for invitation letter.
I emailed the register office last week but no reply. I called them and they told me there will be no cérémonies until end of lockdown and that they have received many invitation letters but they would not upload in the system as they dealing with a high number of deaths.
What they need to do is to hire temporarily staff to deal with this and start virtual ceremonies. But they seem to be lacking behind other councils
Hi All,

Email address for Eastham local councillor Daniel.Blaney@newham.gov.uk

Let us know if you hear back anything.

Thanks

shahzy970
Mood:
Malaysia

Post by shahzy970 » Tue Jan 26, 2021 4:15 pm

pnadkarni wrote:
Tue Jan 26, 2021 3:58 pm
Hi all, i have been a silent reader of this forum and it has been so helpful to get clarity on the process! I am also from Newham council and was receieved my approvel on 22nd Oct and the citizenship ceremony invite came in on 16 Jan (was sent by HO on 30th Dec). I was trying the Newham booking page since 16th Jan and was getting a 'Home office ref not recognised' error message. Suddently, yesterday, was able to get through the system and was able to book ceremony (group) on 16th Feb. My wife got an earlier slot (9th Feb) - so we called up the Register office to check. They did not mention anything about ceremonies not happening during lockdown... we were finally able to get one slot on 16th Feb - but reading other messages around Newham, will probably call them and re-check that ceremonies are indeed happening. Anyways, its a matter of time - although quite frustrating after all of the wait!!!
Hi,

Some of the members did manage to book ceremony but unfortunately, this was cancelled, so I am assuming any booking scheduled in coming weeks will be cancelled as well. I hope this isn't the case but looks like it. I think we all should email local councillors and mayor of Newham to arrange virtual ceremonies if they cannot arrange group or private.

It has been really frustrating for all of us, but I think we all should work collectively and raise it with local councillors maybe only then Newham council may do something to arrange virtual ceremonies.

Thanks

pistol242
Newly Registered

Post by pistol242 » Tue Jan 26, 2021 4:33 pm

This is my first post, but I've been a reader of this board for a few months.

I'm from the Newham council too, and I must say that I regret I didn't pick a different council for the ceremony.

I received my invitation letter from the HO a few weeks ago, and the letter is dated before Xmas. Yet, I kept getting the "Home Office reference not found" on the online booking system. I phoned the council and HO, the HO said I need to ask the council, and the council said they had a backlog of certificates from HO, and don't know what's the status on that backlog. The person from Newham council on the phone suggested me to send an email to register.office@newham.gov.uk to ask anything specific related to the citizenship certificate and ceremony. So I sent an email to them, but never heard anything back. All of that was about 3 weeks ago.

Then, last week, the online booking system found my record, and I successfully booked the ceremony for 02/02/2021. Everything seemed working out at the end, but it turns out that was too early to celebrate. I got this email from the Newham council today.
Unfortunately due to the increase in mortality within Newham, means we need to focus all our efforts into the registration of deaths to allow families to be able to make arrangements for the funerals of their loved ones. At this present time all ceremonies have been suspended and we are not taking any bookings for any ceremonies for this month.

We are in the process of setting up virtual ceremonies, hopefully by the end of this month. All residents who have already booked ceremonies on line and were cancelled due to lockdown will be contacted and offered a new booking once we are able to resume this service.
So this is it. It's cancelled, and I doubt they will be able to setup the the virtual ceremonies in time. It all goes back to the endless waiting again.

I guess those who had booked a ceremony for February with the Newham council will receive this email soon.

I'm so disappointed.

shahzy970
Mood:
Malaysia

Post by shahzy970 » Tue Jan 26, 2021 4:44 pm

pistol242 wrote:
Tue Jan 26, 2021 4:33 pm
This is my first post, but I've been a reader of this board for a few months.

I'm from the Newham council too, and I must say that I regret I didn't pick a different council for the ceremony.

I received my invitation letter from the HO a few weeks ago, and the letter is dated before Xmas. Yet, I kept getting the "Home Office reference not found" on the online booking system. I phoned the council and HO, the HO said I need to ask the council, and the council said they had a backlog of certificates from HO, and don't know what's the status on that backlog. The person from Newham council on the phone suggested me to send an email to register.office@newham.gov.uk to ask anything specific related to the citizenship certificate and ceremony. So I sent an email to them, but never heard anything back. All of that was about 3 weeks ago.

Then, last week, the online booking system found my record, and I successfully booked the ceremony for 02/02/2021. Everything seemed working out at the end, but it turns out that was too early to celebrate. I got this email from the Newham council today.
Unfortunately due to the increase in mortality within Newham, means we need to focus all our efforts into the registration of deaths to allow families to be able to make arrangements for the funerals of their loved ones. At this present time all ceremonies have been suspended and we are not taking any bookings for any ceremonies for this month.

We are in the process of setting up virtual ceremonies, hopefully by the end of this month. All residents who have already booked ceremonies on line and were cancelled due to lockdown will be contacted and offered a new booking once we are able to resume this service.
So this is it. It's cancelled, and I doubt they will be able to setup the the virtual ceremonies in time. It all goes back to the endless waiting again.

I guess those who had booked a ceremony for February with the Newham council will receive this email soon.

I'm so disappointed.
Hi,

tbh we all are very disappointed. It's really getting to me and I might become insane by the time I become British haha.

I think as I suggested earlier, we all should email our local councillors and see if can push Newham to arrange virtual ceremonies quicker.. my worry with Newham is even if they arrange virtual ceremonies we will not get our certificates same day, most likely they'll send it via post.. and hearing all the things from Royal mail... makes me worry even more. it's like no hope.

But hopefully, we all will pull through this...

Thanks

shahkb
Pakistan

Post by shahkb » Tue Jan 26, 2021 6:21 pm

As I can see November applicants are getting their invitations.

My application was successful on 21st November and my council said there is a ceremony scheduled on 11th February and will be doing group ceremony for all the people whose certificate been received but they don't have my certificate - Northumberland County Council.

Will the council have the certificate by then ? Any guess ?

Bazaar

Post by Bazaar » Tue Jan 26, 2021 6:42 pm

CULLINAN wrote:
Tue Jan 26, 2021 2:15 pm
Bazaar wrote:
Congrats !
thanks
Hounslow is only offering paid virtual ceremonies for now (within 2-3 weeks) or free virtual ceremonies from April.
thank you.,

this is very disappointing , I mean after all the money we paid if we still have to pay extra for a lacklustre virtual ceremony if you want it a bit earlier. All virtual ceremonies should be free. I don't want to pay extra, I'll probably wait , I just find it ridiculous they ask for more money for nothing

Bazaar

Post by Bazaar » Tue Jan 26, 2021 6:45 pm

Jefymum wrote:
Tue Jan 26, 2021 2:40 pm
Bazaar wrote:
Jefymum wrote:
Tue Jan 26, 2021 12:00 pm

Date of approval: 20th October
Invitation recipient: 13 January
Emailed Hounslow Council, called back next two days later and offered free virtual ceremony for 7th April, thanks to this forum I requested for private ceremony...£125 for 26th January.
Virtual ceremony....took less than 15 minutes. Picked up certificate 5 mins after ceremony. All done now...I'm over the moon. good luck to all who are waiting. Thanks Cullinan and all moderators. Where is Obie? He was very helpful in my EEA journey
Congrats !
thanks
It was a virtual ceremony, I wish I asked if my family would be part as I have seen someone with her family included in the virtual ceremony. So please do ask the lady if you can have that.

I just received the naturalization certificate and welcome from them.....hand delivered. Good luck
hand delivered? you mean by post? other councils give a medal or something else.. for me a virtual ceremony sucks specially if you have to pay extra if you don't want to wait.
I bet if you want to wait they will tell you there aren't any free available when the time comes.

Gard
Newly Registered

Post by Gard » Tue Jan 26, 2021 6:55 pm

Manchester city council started virtual ceremony that's great news for the Manchester applicants.

Approval date: 21st of October
HO invitation printing date: 31st of December
HO invitation received by post: 25th of January
Council invitation received: 26th of January
Virtual ceremony date: 03rd of February for free.

That means HO metioned printing dates are true but we are receiving by post late because of some disruption of royal mail may be. Oe home office posting late.

CULLINAN
Respected Guru
Pakistan

Post by CULLINAN » Tue Jan 26, 2021 7:16 pm

Bazaar wrote:
Tue Jan 26, 2021 6:45 pm
hand delivered? you mean by post? other councils give a medal or something else.. for me a virtual ceremony sucks specially if you have to pay extra if you don't want to wait.
I bet if you want to wait they will tell you there aren't any free available when the time comes.
Hounslow offers to pick up certificate from registrar office (upon request) after ceremony (optional). Otherwise they post. If you collect in person, it is hand delivered by the registrar.

You get a second certificate welcoming you by Mayor of Hounslow and team with registrar signature. No medal or coin lol.

No doubt hounslow is one of the councils charging most even pre-corona and £125 for virtual when many other councils are offering free or only postage fee i.e. £7-10.

Desmond123
Newly Registered
Nigeria

Post by Desmond123 » Tue Jan 26, 2021 7:23 pm

Good news for all applicant in Manchester City Council. I received a letter for my virtual ceremony today 26th January scheduled for 3rd Feb for free.we getting there bit by bit😁.

Bazaar

Post by Bazaar » Tue Jan 26, 2021 7:45 pm

CULLINAN wrote:
Tue Jan 26, 2021 7:16 pm
Bazaar wrote:
Tue Jan 26, 2021 6:45 pm
Hounslow offers to pick up certificate from registrar office (upon request) after ceremony (optional). Otherwise they post. If you collect in person, it is hand delivered by the registrar.

You get a second certificate welcoming you by Mayor of Hounslow and team with registrar signature. No medal or coin lol.

No doubt hounslow is one of the councils charging most even pre-corona and £125 for virtual when many other councils are offering free or only postage fee i.e. £7-10.
they haven't even updated the website, they only mention private ceremonies to choose from 3 rooms. Nothing about virtual ones or if you have to pay or not.

do you know if you choose to receive the certificate by post, is it registered post or just regular mail and if it gets lost is lost?