ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Travelling after applying for Citizenship

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

zeej1
Newly Registered
Pakistan

Travelling after applying for Citizenship

Post by zeej1 » Sun Jan 31, 2021 12:09 am

Hi All,

I am looking for some advice and hope someone can share their experience. I am non EU national and eligible to apply for Citizenship now based on 5 year residency (critical skills permit and then stamp 4). In the next few months, I would like to go back to my home country for approximately 6 months to sort out some family issues. But this trip is not time sensitive and start date is very flexible. I guess I have 2 options:
  • Apply for citizenship now, wait for my passport back. And then travel for 6 months. I will still be renting a place in Ireland. But dont know if this will effect application down the road
  • Travel now (once restriction ease a bit) Come back, wait for another full year to have continuous residency and then apply for citizenship application. But this way, I will have to mention in application that I was away for 6 months
I guess my question is that in your opinion, which of the above options has the potential to effect application more. Looking for some advice based on personal experience, really appreciate your help. Thanks

Vorona
- thin ice -
Ireland

Re: Travelling after applying for Citizenship

Post by Vorona » Sun Jan 31, 2021 1:19 am

If you apply for citizenship and then leave Ireland for long periods of time this can be viewed as lack of intention to live in the state and will most likely negatively affect your citizenship application. One question on the form asks about your future plans about residing here.

If the situation in your home country is serious enough to require you being there, then better prioritise it and then apply for citizenship after returning.

Your will still have to declare long absences, but as long as you have 1828 days of actual physical residence by the time you apply, it will not be an issue.

zoie777777
Pakistan

Post by zoie777777 » Sun Jan 31, 2021 4:44 am

I think the best precise is to do when come back from your home country, it may seems like you'll have to wait for a whole year to be a continues resident in the state but it makes less chances to suspect you are unwilling to stay in the country after an approval especially when you'd mention your long break to them after applying. during the process it only allows to stay out for 6 weeks the most at the best of my knowledge. so be on safe side. good luck

Stanina
Ireland

Post by Stanina » Sun Jan 31, 2021 9:14 am

You will need to notify INIS if the travel is more than 6 weeks even after you applied for citizenship. If it is essential travel they might give it exemption.

alhakeem
Ireland

Post by alhakeem » Sun Jan 31, 2021 10:40 am

Stanina wrote:
Sun Jan 31, 2021 9:14 am
You will need to notify INIS if the travel is more than 6 weeks even after you applied for citizenship. If it is essential travel they might give it exemption.
I agree with you, although he wants personal experience, I think in 6 months he will get his passport back so he can apply, and then notify INIS that there is a genuine reasons to travel, I dont think genuine reasons will break the intentions to live here, humanitarian issues will be allowed every where in the world, and I dont think they will be tough not to exempt you for these reasons.

littlerr
Respected Guru
China

Post by littlerr » Sun Jan 31, 2021 1:27 pm

Note that under normal situations, Stamp 4 holders cannot leave the state for more than 3 months s within a 12-month period. You will need to inform INIS about your intention and state your reasons.

zeej1
Newly Registered
Pakistan

Post by zeej1 » Sun Jan 31, 2021 1:38 pm

This was very helpful. Thanks Everyone.

I forgot to mention that while away from Ireland, I will still be employed in state, on Irish payroll and working from home. But reading through replies it looks like it wont make a difference.

Thanks Again. Appreciate it.

Vorona
- thin ice -
Ireland

Post by Vorona » Sun Jan 31, 2021 5:15 pm

zeej1 wrote:
Sun Jan 31, 2021 1:38 pm

I forgot to mention that while away from Ireland, I will still be employed in state, on Irish payroll and working from home. But reading through replies it looks like it wont make a difference.
You can have a job or own a property, but if you're not living here it won't matter.

The least that could happen if you leave while your application is still in progress, is that it will be put on hold until your return which is making the whole idea pointless or simply deemed ineligible.

alhakeem
Ireland

Post by alhakeem » Sun Jan 31, 2021 5:42 pm

Vorona wrote:
Sun Jan 31, 2021 5:15 pm
zeej1 wrote:
Sun Jan 31, 2021 1:38 pm

You can have a job or own a property, but if you're not living here it won't matter.

The least that could happen if you leave while your application is still in progress, is that it will be put on hold until your return which is making the whole idea pointless or simply deemed ineligible.
It depends on the type of job, some people can apply for citizenship even if they were working out side of Ireland, not sure about the details, something like humanitarian or for the benefit of state, someone can enlighten us, but surely there is, it is on inis website, but I do not understand it well

Vorona
- thin ice -
Ireland

Post by Vorona » Sun Jan 31, 2021 7:27 pm

alhakeem wrote:
Sun Jan 31, 2021 5:42 pm
It depends on the type of job, some people can apply for citizenship even if they were working out side of Ireland, not sure about the details, something like humanitarian or for the benefit of state, someone can enlighten us, but surely there is, it is on inis website, but I do not understand it well
You better be sure about the details and better be sure that your case is exceptional enough even to be considered for exception. Not worth the risk to unless 100% confident.

littlerr
Respected Guru
China

Post by littlerr » Mon Feb 01, 2021 1:21 am

Scenarios that are considered as exceptional cases include:
- Serious medical conditions of the resident or their immediate family
- Work for the Irish Government branch which requires the resident to be posted abroad

All other scenarios are to be taken as a case-by-case basis. More common cases are maternity/paternity leaves and frequent work-rated travels (e.g. if the work role clearly states that the person would have to travel abroad to meet customers etc).

Working from home for 6 months is certainly not covered, although COVID-19 might give you this benefit of doubt. If you are to leave Ireland after the COVID-19 situation is in control (maybe some time this autumn), your argument would certainly not stand.

alhakeem
Ireland

Post by alhakeem » Mon Feb 01, 2021 3:34 am

littlerr wrote:
Mon Feb 01, 2021 1:21 am
Scenarios that are considered as exceptional cases include:
- Work for the Irish Government branch which requires the resident to be posted abroad
This is the part that I mean and I dont understand, all the time just I am thinking of being an employee in an Irish embassy, otherwise how can I work for the Irish government out of the state.Can anybody give me examples, even in an embassy , I dont think they will recruit a non naturalised person, but not necessarily.

Vorona
- thin ice -
Ireland

Post by Vorona » Mon Feb 01, 2021 11:46 am

alhakeem wrote:
Mon Feb 01, 2021 3:34 am
This is the part that I mean and I dont understand, all the time just I am thinking of being an employee in an Irish embassy, otherwise how can I work for the Irish government out of the state.Can anybody give me examples, even in an embassy , I dont think they will recruit a non naturalised person, but not necessarily.
The good place to start is to create your own topic on relevant forum to discuss your future employment plans.

alhakeem
Ireland

Post by alhakeem » Mon Feb 01, 2021 12:23 pm

Vorona wrote:
Mon Feb 01, 2021 11:46 am
alhakeem wrote:
The good place to start is to create your own topic on relevant forum to discuss your future employment plans.
No, I meant what other explanation of working for the government that allows you to apply for naturalisation other than working in an Irish embassy, it is related to this thread and might cut it short for the person who opened the post, if he found that his job is for the government, I am trying to help this person because he mentione he has a job, what if his job is for the government, so it is related to this question and I am not going to open a new thread for something that is not related to me or my future plans as I am here in the state and happy of my job, I am trying to say there is a way that might help him that he might not know.

Vorona
- thin ice -
Ireland

Post by Vorona » Mon Feb 01, 2021 12:49 pm

alhakeem wrote:
Mon Feb 01, 2021 12:23 pm
I am not going to open a new thread for something that is not related to me or my future plans as I am here in the state and happy of my job
alhakeem wrote:
I am thinking of being an employee in an Irish embassy, otherwise how can I work for the Irish government out of the state.Can anybody give me examples, even in an embassy
:roll: :roll: :roll:

If OP wanted to clarify anything about their employment that could potentially be considered as solid excuse for being away for too long, they would have done so already. You're going over the top.

zeej1
Newly Registered
Pakistan

Post by zeej1 » Mon Feb 01, 2021 9:32 pm

Thanks Vorona, littlerr, alhakeem for all the help.
It was very helpful.

I am employed in private sector and not working for state. Travel is purely for personal reasons.
I have decided to submit application. Wait for passport back, hopefully will get back in 2-3 months.
And then try my best to reduce my travel plans to 6 weeks max (will be tough but I guess have to make it work)