ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Foreign Birth Registration

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

BigDaddy100
United States of America

Re: Foreign Birth Registration

Post by BigDaddy100 » Mon Jan 25, 2021 12:14 am

BigDaddy100 wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 10:25 am
My long wait is over! My FBR certificate and supporting docs were delivered yesterday.
USPS Informed Delivery sent a text saying my package was "delivered to an individual".
A few minutes later, it was in my mailbox. No-contact delivery, I guess. 8)

My timeline:
Application submitted online: 16 June 2019
Email acknowledging receipt of documents (Balbriggan): 01 July 2019
Confirmation of address email: 24 September 2020
Date added to FBR: 25 September 2020
Congrats email / Certificate Printed/Mailed: 01 October 2020
FBR certificate received: 20 October 2020

I will get started on the passport application, even though processing is paused for now.
The photo and notary steps will require a little more coordination than they did last time.
Best of luck to all. Hopefully, the Level 5 stage will pass quickly.
I took a little break before gathering the necessary supporting docs, then I sent my passport application to the Consulate (San Francisco). Things are paused for now, but it still felt good to get that part done.

My Passport timeline:
Passport application/docs mailed to Irish Consulate in SF (FedEx): 14 January 2021
Application/docs received by Consulate (mailroom): 18 January 2021
Consulate vetting application/docs: Now, maybe?
Passport processing in Ireland: Paused, pending return to Level 3
Passport approved: Pending
Passport posted: Pending
Passport received: Pending

Billy Bowker
Newly Registered

Post by Billy Bowker » Thu Jan 28, 2021 12:37 am

Hi
Fee taken on 23/01/2019 still waiting second application so over 3 years In total as I needed adoption certificate for second application got my notification that the fee was received but nothing else posted a letter asking for an update but with covid I understand the closures have caused big delays can only patiently wait for the outcome. Anyone else in the same boat?

EmmaKate
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by EmmaKate » Thu Jan 28, 2021 2:50 am

Billy Bowker wrote:
Thu Jan 28, 2021 12:37 am
Hi
Fee taken on 23/01/2019 still waiting second application so over 3 years In total as I needed adoption certificate for second application got my notification that the fee was received but nothing else posted a letter asking for an update but with covid I understand the closures have caused big delays can only patiently wait for the outcome. Anyone else in the same boat?
I'm a few weeks behind you, online application completed 27/02/19 and got the documents received email on 07/03/19. I was born an Irish citizen then adopted in the UK, it was straightforward to get my Irish passport and only took about 4 weeks, this application is for my 2 children. I've spoken to FBR staff twice over the last 2 years, both times I was told everything was in order, they were being processed, but adoption cases are handled separately by a very small team and take longer than average to complete.
So I guess we'll just wait a bit more....

Luna2019
Newly Registered
United States of America

Post by Luna2019 » Thu Jan 28, 2021 11:49 am

I received this email to confirm my physical address on December 21, 2020: "I am pleased to inform you that your applications for entry into the Foreign Births Register will be approved shortly. A Foreign Birth Registration Certificate and your original documents will be returned to you by registered post, which will require a signature on delivery."

I immediately replied with my address confirmation and have heard nothing since.

Is this normal? Should I be concerned?

Many thanks.

ct101
Newly Registered
Canada

Post by ct101 » Thu Jan 28, 2021 12:19 pm

Luna2019 wrote:
Thu Jan 28, 2021 11:49 am
I received this email to confirm my physical address on December 21, 2020: "I am pleased to inform you that your applications for entry into the Foreign Births Register will be approved shortly. A Foreign Birth Registration Certificate and your original documents will be returned to you by registered post, which will require a signature on delivery."

I immediately replied with my address confirmation and have heard nothing since.

Many thanks.
I’m concerned as well- I received my actual congratulations email letting me know that my certificate had been sent nearly 2 months ago now- I’ve never received anything! I’m hoping there are severe delays shipping to Canada and that it isn’t lost.

DanaMarie
Ireland

Post by DanaMarie » Thu Jan 28, 2021 1:58 pm

Luna2019 wrote:

Many thanks.
Completely normal even under normal circumstances. Pre-pandemic it was taking 2-6 weeks for the FBR section to mail out the certificates. And since the FBR section is now closed (since 12/24) and will be until March I think you've got a while to wait unfortunately.

RGH
Newly Registered
Canada

Post by RGH » Fri Jan 29, 2021 12:32 am

Lurker in Canada since August! Been following everyone's journeys and happy for those who are now citizens. I'm hoping to join you in.....12-18 months :? :? :?

20/10/20 Online Application completed
01/12/20 Documents mailed to Balbriggan
12/12/20 Documents arrived with DFA
18/12/20 Email from DFA saying application has been received.

So now I'm settling in for a long wait. If it does in fact take 18 months, I'm looking at June 2022, but if some miracle occurs and everything's done in 12, Dec 2021 doesn't seem too far away. My application was pretty straightforward and I was able to provide all of the documents requested no problem...so I'm hoping that a complete application helps speed things along!

It's a bit funny because none of us can really get around easily anywhere, but I feel sooooo impatient to hear back and get my irish citizenship (RIP Grammy and Mom and thank you Mom for keeping everything!). It's gonna be a long wait.

Rwmc6
Newly Registered

Post by Rwmc6 » Sat Jan 30, 2021 8:27 am

Sent in confirmation of my wife’s pregnancy and due date yesterday. She is 3 months pregnant. Received a reply that they have received it, have noted her due date (August) and will be in touch once they start processing the applications again. I assume they will now prioritize my application to ensure I have before our baby arrives.

Is there anyone else in this situation? Or is anyone in this situation where the baby is due sooner and they are processing these very urgent cases (say those with a child due in the next couple of months)? Or is it a complete shut down?

I applied for FBR in November 2019 with the intention our children could become Irish citizens and would be very disappointed if that couldn’t happen.

Shannondoggy
Newly Registered
United States of America

Post by Shannondoggy » Sun Jan 31, 2021 2:39 pm

My situation is similar to Dana Maria. I received an e-mail on December 22, 2020 that my certificate was being printed and mailed. No tracking number was provided and I have not received the cert or my documents and am starting to get concerned as to whether they are lost in transit.

Does anyone have a way to contact the office.

Thank you,

ct101
Newly Registered
Canada

Post by ct101 » Sun Jan 31, 2021 4:59 pm

Shannondoggy wrote:
Sun Jan 31, 2021 2:39 pm
My situation is similar to Dana Maria. I received an e-mail on December 22, 2020 that my certificate was being printed and mailed. No tracking number was provided and I have not received the cert or my documents and am starting to get concerned as to whether they are lost in transit.

Thank you,
My situation is similar, I received that email on December 12! I’m starting to think that the certificates were never actually mailed out

DanaMarie
Ireland

Post by DanaMarie » Sun Jan 31, 2021 5:41 pm

Shannondoggy wrote:

Thank you,
There is almost zero chance your certificate was mailed considering that the FBR section closed again on Christmas Eve and has not reopened. Generally from the date of the email stating your documents are being mailed it is another month before they are sent and received. There is no way to contact the section for a general inquiry at this time. Hang in there, hopefully once the reopen there will be a flood of certificates hitting An Post, you can always reply back to the email address you provided address confirmation to and ask for a tracking number which they will provide once they have it.

JaneKnits
Newly Registered
United States of America

Post by JaneKnits » Mon Feb 01, 2021 3:20 pm

ct101 wrote:
Sun Jan 31, 2021 4:59 pm
Shannondoggy wrote:

Thank you,
My situation is similar, I received that email on December 12! I’m starting to think that the certificates were never actually mailed out
I got my certificate being printed and mailed email on December 17, 2020 and received my FBR Certificate and documents in the mail on Jan 11, 2021. The only way I knew it was on its way was when it hit the US Postal Service in NY and I got a tracking update because I get notifications for any package coming. When I looked at the origin, it said Dublin, so I knew it was my FBR docs. However, I consider myself very lucky because they shut down again shortly after. I think it highly likely it may be sitting in a pile of envelopes to be sent as soon as they re-open, which may be a long while unfortunately. The good news is that you got the email that your certificate is printed/mailed -- which means you are entered into the FBR already. Now, it's just the CoVid delays... Good luck!
Jane

Shannondoggy
Newly Registered
United States of America

Post by Shannondoggy » Mon Feb 01, 2021 4:24 pm

Thanks to all for the response to my query.

msry5cw2
Newly Registered

Post by msry5cw2 » Tue Feb 02, 2021 9:20 am

So close yet so far .. we had contact on 16/12 to ask for new photos (which we sent back immediatley) as it has been over 18 months and my son is now 2 and now they have shut again!

AntrimGrandchild
United States of America

Post by AntrimGrandchild » Tue Feb 02, 2021 7:15 pm

ct101 wrote:
Thu Jan 28, 2021 12:19 pm
Luna2019 wrote:

Many thanks.
I’m concerned as well- I received my actual congratulations email letting me know that my certificate had been sent nearly 2 months ago now- I’ve never received anything! I’m hoping there are severe delays shipping to Canada and that it isn’t lost.
Hi! If this helps, I received a congratulations e-mail in October and they immediately locked down after saying my certificate would be mailed. It wasn't - I checked in again in mid-December after they opened up again, still hadn't been mailed, they confirmed I was accepted and said they would mail certificate, and then they locked down again. It's frustrating, but I am sure that it likely hasn't been lost in the mail. Unfortunately, I think with the lockdowns, there has been significant disorganization with mailing, etc. I am just going to keep on waiting... Good luck with yours!

cdfly
United States of America

Post by cdfly » Wed Feb 03, 2021 5:15 pm

Hi! I applied with my sister back in July '20 as she needed an expedited application for her August due date. Her application was immediately approved and mine was put back in the pile for a bit.

My application was surprisingly approved Dec 14, printed/shipped Dec 17, and was lost in the mail for a good month (it popped up on my USPS informed delivery once it reached NY)... Received today Feb 3....

AND THEY PUT MY SISTER'S PHOTO ON MY CERTIFICATE. I'm dying. I must've sent 4 different options for them to choose for my passport photo, just to be over-prepared....and here we are with the wrong photo.
The letter said to contact the "listed below contact" if anything was incorrect, but then did not list a contact...Has anyone had any luck getting in touch with someone for a correction/experience with this?

I know the office is closed until March so thats a bit of a bummer, so this is mostly me venting :lol:

cdfly
United States of America

Post by cdfly » Thu Feb 04, 2021 3:07 am

Rwmc6 wrote:
Sat Jan 30, 2021 8:27 am
Sent in confirmation of my wife’s pregnancy and due date yesterday. She is 3 months pregnant. Received a reply that they have received it, have noted her due date (August) and will be in touch once they start processing the applications again. I assume they will now prioritize my application to ensure I have before our baby arrives.

Is there anyone else in this situation? Or is anyone in this situation where the baby is due sooner and they are processing these very urgent cases (say those with a child due in the next couple of months)? Or is it a complete shut down?

I applied for FBR in November 2019 with the intention our children could become Irish citizens and would be very disappointed if that couldn’t happen.
For what it’s worth, my sister was due 24Aug2020 and our application was received 20July2020. She was in the FBR by the 27th. I do think the office is completely shut down during Level 5 which will last until at least 03March. Once the office is confirmed back to work, I would just send a follow up, but you should be more than fine!

Sooze

Post by Sooze » Fri Feb 05, 2021 10:26 am

I've just found this thread and it's been very helpful in that I have been worrying that I haven't heard anything about our FBR application and saw it had been emailed to others. I have now found it in the spam of an email account I only use rarely!

I made the application for my children in December 2019, acknowledgment email was dated 21st Jan 2020 and I still haven't heard anything further. Those of you who have applied since Covid hit the scene I think might be in for a longer wait than me and it's already been almost 14 months. I think the worst part is not having any clue whether it's been lost among the trillion applications or that once they start to process it they find tiny mistake on the form somewhere and then you have to resubmit and start again!

BrexitEscapee
- thin ice -

Post by BrexitEscapee » Fri Feb 05, 2021 2:32 pm

Sooze wrote:
Fri Feb 05, 2021 10:26 am
... I think the worst part is not having any clue whether it's been lost among the trillion applications or that once they start to process it they find tiny mistake on the form somewhere and then you have to resubmit and start again!
There was a guy called Sulla on here who used to make an application progress list ordered by when people applied, so you could see how DFA were gradually working through the pile. He disappeared from here last year so no more list, but the pattern was that they tended to work through in order of application, with only a few outliers which were usually caused by weird postal arrangements between some embassies and the Irish authorities. As far as I can recall, the wait was around 12 months at the beginning of last year, so with Covid and Brexit both happening since then, I'd resign myself to a 2 year wait - at least that way, you might be pleasantly surprised rather than continuously frustrated...

tomjohnsonstudio
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by tomjohnsonstudio » Sat Feb 06, 2021 1:15 pm

Hi guys,

I hope this isn't an annoying question but wanted to get some advice as I can't find a email address for the Foreign Birth Registration.

I applied in November 2019 for a Foreign Birth Registration as my grandmother was Irish. I received an email saying that my application had been received.

I have heard nothing since and it's nearly been 15 months.

Hoping to hear soon, do you think there is anyone I can contact?

Thank you

Tom

Corkythecat

Post by Corkythecat » Sat Feb 06, 2021 1:52 pm

Hello Tom,

I wouldn't worry if I were you. You are in the exact same position as many on here.
Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be any contact open with the FBR team during the lockdown.

I applied just a few months before you in late August 2019 and like you have heard nothing beyond the original confirmation email. Before the strict lockdowns I was able to contact the FBR team on 2 occasions a few months apart, via webchat. They just reassured me that my documents were safe following the receipt email and apologised for the increasing delays.

The reason I was concerned was that my two siblings who applied in July 2019 had heard back . One has been done and dusted and now has a passport and ID card. The other who applied just a week later has been disrupted and is still waiting for the FBR to be posted. I am stuck waiting for a confirmation of address contact.

Before the strict lockdowns they were processing July/August 2019 applications.

When things crank up again i'm hoping to hear something within a month or so - but who knows?

So I'd just sit tight - It would be unlikely that your documents or processing are forgotten.

Regards and Good Luck!

cdfly
United States of America

Post by cdfly » Sat Feb 06, 2021 7:51 pm

cdfly wrote:
Wed Feb 03, 2021 5:15 pm
Hi! I applied with my sister back in July '20 as she needed an expedited application for her August due date. Her application was immediately approved and mine was put back in the pile for a bit.

My application was surprisingly approved Dec 14, printed/shipped Dec 17, and was lost in the mail for a good month (it popped up on my USPS informed delivery once it reached NY)... Received today Feb 3....

AND THEY PUT MY SISTER'S PHOTO ON MY CERTIFICATE. I'm dying. I must've sent 4 different options for them to choose for my passport photo, just to be over-prepared....and here we are with the wrong photo.
The letter said to contact the "listed below contact" if anything was incorrect, but then did not list a contact...Has anyone had any luck getting in touch with someone for a correction/experience with this?

I know the office is closed until March so thats a bit of a bummer, so this is mostly me venting :lol:
Just wanted to give an update on this -
Got in touch with the DFA contact who assisted me with my sister's expedited app over the summer. Within a day he put me in touch with the relevant staff and they have assured me that they will re-print as soon as the office reopens. DFA definitely take data breaches seriously, so its been a quick solve! My sister also received a lengthy email regarding the data breach. I definitely made sure to assure them that we appreciate everything they've done for us so far, and for my family its been more or less a good laugh.

On that note, relevant info for everyone: some FBR staff have a bit of access to their official emails for serious issues, but absolutely zero access to the office (and application files) until at least Level 5 ends. So I don't think they are even processing expedited apps currently.

youthinkunoe
Newly Registered
United States of America

Post by youthinkunoe » Mon Feb 08, 2021 4:53 am

Sooze wrote:
I've just found this thread and it's been very helpful in that I have been worrying that I haven't heard anything about our FBR application and saw it had been emailed to others. I have now found it in the spam of an email account I only use rarely!

I made the application for my children in December 2019, acknowledgment email was dated 21st Jan 2020 and I still haven't heard anything further. Those of you who have applied since Covid hit the scene I think might be in for a longer wait than me and it's already been almost 14 months. I think the worst part is not having any clue whether it's been lost among the trillion applications or that once they start to process it they find tiny mistake on the form somewhere and then you have to resubmit and start again!

Im in the same boat with you over here
Documents received November 11, 2019

Sooze

Post by Sooze » Mon Feb 08, 2021 4:17 pm

BrexitEscapee wrote:
Fri Feb 05, 2021 2:32 pm
Sooze wrote:
... I think the worst part is not having any clue whether it's been lost among the trillion applications or that once they start to process it they find tiny mistake on the form somewhere and then you have to resubmit and start again!
There was a guy called Sulla on here who used to make an application progress list ordered by when people applied, so you could see how DFA were gradually working through the pile. He disappeared from here last year so no more list, but the pattern was that they tended to work through in order of application, with only a few outliers which were usually caused by weird postal arrangements between some embassies and the Irish authorities. As far as I can recall, the wait was around 12 months at the beginning of last year, so with Covid and Brexit both happening since then, I'd resign myself to a 2 year wait - at least that way, you might be pleasantly surprised rather than continuously frustrated...
Thank you for this, at least when you know rough timelines it stops you from worrying as much. to be honest, I stopped worrying so much once I found the missing emails! :D There's no specific urgency on this front so I can wait if I know it's being processed - it would be nice to have it ticked off my list though.

Sooze

Post by Sooze » Mon Feb 08, 2021 4:18 pm

youthinkunoe wrote:
Mon Feb 08, 2021 4:53 am
Sooze wrote:

Im in the same boat with you over here
Documents received November 11, 2019
Looks like we're in for another six months or more by the previous posts!