ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Countries that allow long stay visa for NON EU parents

Immigration to European countries, don't post UK or Ireland related topics!

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

intothewild85
Newly Registered
India

Countries that allow long stay visa for NON EU parents

Post by intothewild85 » Mon Feb 08, 2021 12:51 pm

Hey everyone,

Does anyone know which EU countries easily allow NON EU parents to join their children who are EU citizens?

secret.simon

Re: Countries that allow long stay visa for NON EU parents

Post by secret.simon » Mon Feb 08, 2021 3:43 pm

EU law allows that in general in any EU member-state of which the EU citizen is not themselves a citizen of.

So, a Germany citizen's ability to invite their non-EU parents to Germany is based on German law if they reside in Germany.

But if the German citizen moves to another EU member-state, such as Austria or the Czech Republic, then they can invite their parents under the much more flexible EU law.

I see from your earlier post that you are an Irish citizen. So, to bring your parents to the EU under EU law, move to another EEA member-state, such as Spain, Malta or Cyprus and have your parents join you there under EU law.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

Zerubbabel
Respected Guru
Mood:

Re: Countries that allow long stay visa for NON EU parents

Post by Zerubbabel » Mon Feb 08, 2021 8:09 pm

intothewild85 wrote:
Mon Feb 08, 2021 12:51 pm
Hey everyone,

Does anyone know which EU countries easily allow NON EU parents to join their children who are EU citizens?
In theory, any EU country you are not citizen of which.

In practice, they all push back and do their best to make sure the application fails. If your intention is to rent a place somewhere and work remote or create an artificial footprint just to bring your parents, think twice before you act. I have seen cases failing as the applicant drowns in a sea of bureaucracy, delays, endless requests for more documents, translations, forms...

You get a stronger case if yourself properly settle in a country of your choice but still, prepare to fight, pay a lot to solicitors without any guarantee of success. There is no country that is sympathetic to old people moving in when they are in a phase of their life where they don't pay taxes but cost a lot in medical bills.

It's your call really, but what prepare to fight.