ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Spouse Visa Renewal Universal Credit Living with parent

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé/e | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

Covee

Spouse Visa Renewal Universal Credit Living with parent

Post by Covee » Wed Feb 10, 2021 1:58 pm

Hello,

My wife (Indian national) and I (UK National) both live with my mother.

The room size is legal and home is not overcroweded.

My mother owns the home (mortgaged) and pays full council tax.

My mother receives Universal Credit because he looks after an elderly relative who lives opposite us and my mother earns around £800 per month.

Neither me or my wife receive any benefits. My mother does not receive any housing benefit.

My mother does not charge me or my wife any rent, so we live free of charge with no contributions for bills (as far as the visa is concerned)

I am in full employment and earn over £35k per year and have over £10k in savings.

Universal Credit knows my wife and I live with my mum and how much we all earn (nothing is hidden).

Does the fact my mother gets this Universal Credit have any affect on her letting us live with her when we renew my wife's visa (first visa renewal after 2.5 years)?

thanks everybody.

Frontier Mole
Respected Guru

Re: Spouse Visa Renewal Universal Credit Living with parent

Post by Frontier Mole » Wed Feb 10, 2021 2:36 pm

Your mother’s personal circumstances and access to legitimate benefits will not have an impact on your application.

As long as you as a couple meet the criteria then all good.

JB007
- thin ice -

Post by JB007 » Wed Feb 10, 2021 4:26 pm

Covee wrote:
Wed Feb 10, 2021 1:58 pm
My mother owns the home (mortgaged) and pays full council tax.
My mother does not receive any housing benefit.

My mother does not charge me or my wife any rent, so we live free of charge with no contributions for bills (as far as the visa is concerned)
In addition to what Frontier Mole has said, your mother cannot receive Housing Benefit anyway; or rather the Housing element of Universal Credit as UC has replaced Housing Benefit; because that is just for those who rent and is not for those who have a mortgage.

I assume your mother has told the council that you and your wife are living at her property? And therefore she is not claiming any discount on her council tax bill?

Covee

Post by Covee » Wed Feb 10, 2021 5:27 pm

thanks for the replies.

And yes as mentioned mother pays full council tax with no discount.