ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

British Citizenship Refused - based on Good Character

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

kash87
Newly Registered

British Citizenship Refused - based on Good Character

Post by kash87 » Sat Feb 06, 2021 12:51 pm

Dear senior members,

Please suggest what steps should I take next.

History
Tier 1 Entrepreneur: 2014 - without any issues
Tier 1 Ent Extension: 2017 - without any issues (was interviewed before decision)
Indefinite Leave to Remain: 2019 - without any issues
Naturalisation Application: 2020
Refusal: 2021

No problems at all while traveling and at any stage of visa's, extension, ILR.

I am typing the details of refusal letter here, word by word

Your application has ben refused for the following reason(s):

It is a requirement for naturalisation that a person is of a good character. There is no definition of good character in British Nationality Act 1981 but our policy is in regard to this requirement is outlined on gov.uk

Our enquiries into your application reveal that you had used deception to gain leave in DD/MM/2017 when an application for Leave to Remain was submitted. The home secretary considers your actions constitute a deliberate attempt to mislead a Government department and as such can not be satisfied that you meet the good character requirement for naturalisation and your application is refused.

If you still wish to become a British Citizen you must make a fresh application for naturalisation, accompanied by the appropriate fee. It is open to you to make a fresh application at any time but in view of your actions you are advised that an application made before DD/MM/2027 is unlikely to be successful.

You should note that the outcome of any future application cannot be guaranteed, as this would be determined in the light of enquiries made at that time.

Next Steps
If you believe the decision to refuse your application was not soundly based on nationality law, policy or procedures and you wish it to be reconsidered, you must complete Form NR and pay a fee.

The refusal and the reason both have completely shocked me.

I have few questions, your answers may help me decide what to do next

A. Is this a refusal of British citizenship only or will/can affect my ILR also?
B. Should I go for Form NR (reconsideration of naturalisation application)?
C. There is no mention of how many days I have to apply for NR- is there a specific time period?
D. Would I need a solicitor or I can do this on my own?
E. How do I find out what exactly they are referring to? (regardless of my decision to go for NR i would like
to know what is the issue)
F. My spouse is in Pakistan and we planned to submit the application for spouse visa next week, shall we
wait? This refusal will have an impact on spouse visa application?
G. What is the best course of action for me to take?

I request the senior members of the group to give me your expert advice for a positive outcome.

Thank you for reading my long post.

CULLINAN
Respected Guru
Pakistan

Re: British Citizenship Refused - based on Good Character

Post by CULLINAN » Sat Feb 06, 2021 1:04 pm

Our enquiries into your application reveal that you had used deception to gain leave in DD/MM/2017 when an application for Leave to Remain was submitted.
What was the deception?

Your ILR will remain unaffected and this does not impact spouse visa either.
Personal opinion only, not to be mistaken for legal advice. Please DO NOT PM me for immigration advice. Love for All, Hatred for None.

vinny

Post by vinny » Sat Feb 06, 2021 1:19 pm

kash87 wrote:
Sat Feb 06, 2021 12:51 pm
E. How do I find out what exactly they are referring to? (regardless of my decision to go for NR i would like to know what is the issue)
Ask the caseworker for details or try SAR.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

kash87
Newly Registered

Post by kash87 » Sat Feb 06, 2021 1:20 pm

Thank you for your response Cullinan,

They did not give any details of the deception, I have posted contents of the refusal as received. During the application process they did not ask for any information, clarification, so I don't know what are they referring to. That is why I want to know how to find out what is referred to as deception in my case. And as far as I am aware I did not use deception.

kash87
Newly Registered

Post by kash87 » Sat Feb 06, 2021 1:29 pm

Thank you for responding Vinny, I will make SAR application.

Zerubbabel
Respected Guru
Mood:

Post by Zerubbabel » Sat Feb 06, 2021 1:32 pm

Tier 1 Ent Extension: 2017 - without any issues (was interviewed before decision)

vs.

Our enquiries into your application reveal that you had used deception to gain leave in DD/MM/2017 when an application for Leave to Remain was submitted.

Citizenship applications are not immigration applications but still they go back to your entire immigration history and consult previous applications and circumstances. They also crosscheck with HMRC records to see if there are any discrepancies between your tax records and report. They may find things that were overlooked on previous applications.

If you know for sure that everything is correct with your previous application, you then need to fight back this accusation. You can't let it pass. Apply for reconsideration:

https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... ed-form-nr

This allows you to challenge the refusal and state that no fraud was committed during your immigration history.

If you do nothing, even in 2027 they may still refuse based on the same perceived misrepresentation.

kash87
Newly Registered

Post by kash87 » Sat Feb 06, 2021 1:35 pm

Any ideas how can I contact the case worker?

The email address he used says do not reply to this email as this inbox will not be monitored. After the case worker's name it says CT1 only, and liverpool address on top of the letter.

kash87
Newly Registered

Post by kash87 » Sat Feb 06, 2021 1:43 pm

I am sure that everything was correct and I want to fight back. Is there a specific period for me to apply for reconsideration?

vs.

Citizenship applications are not immigration applications but still they go back to your entire immigration history and consult previous applications and circumstances. They also crosscheck with HMRC records to see if there are any discrepancies between your tax records and report. They may find things that were overlooked on previous applications.

If you know for sure that everything is correct with your previous application, you then need to fight back this accusation. You can't let it pass. Apply for reconsideration:

https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... ed-form-nr

This allows you to challenge the refusal and state that no fraud was committed during your immigration history.

If you do nothing, even in 2027 they may still refuse based on the same perceived misrepresentation.
[/quote]

CULLINAN
Respected Guru
Pakistan

Post by CULLINAN » Sat Feb 06, 2021 2:02 pm

kash87 wrote:
Sat Feb 06, 2021 1:20 pm

They did not give any details of the deception, I have posted contents of the refusal as received. During the application process they did not ask for any information, clarification, so I don't know what are they referring to. That is why I want to know how to find out what is referred to as deception in my case. And as far as I am aware I did not use deception.
You have identical immigration history like myself. If your Tier 1 extension was approved after the interview in 2017, there was NO deception?

Why HO approved your extension and ILR if there was deception in the first place?

Did you work illegally on Tier 1 Entrepreneur initially? Were you on PSW visa before that or Tier 1 Ent was your first visa? Did you have any tax issues with HMRC?

I suggest you definitely apply for SAR and then pursue this allegation.
Personal opinion only, not to be mistaken for legal advice. Please DO NOT PM me for immigration advice. Love for All, Hatred for None.

CULLINAN
Respected Guru
Pakistan

Post by CULLINAN » Sat Feb 06, 2021 2:03 pm

kash87 wrote:
Sat Feb 06, 2021 1:35 pm
Any ideas how can I contact the case worker?

The email address he used says do not reply to this email as this inbox will not be monitored. After the case worker's name it says CT1 only, and liverpool address on top of the letter.

If you want to contact the CW, you can contact the CT1 department in Liverpool via post.

CULLINAN
Respected Guru
Pakistan

Post by CULLINAN » Sat Feb 06, 2021 2:16 pm

Also if deception was real in 2017 extension and overlooked earlier, then ILR can be revoked too?

If there was no deception at extension stage and ILR was granted, then the deception at extension stage can not be the basis to refuse AN.

kash87
Newly Registered

Post by kash87 » Sat Feb 06, 2021 2:43 pm

CULLINAN wrote:
Sat Feb 06, 2021 2:02 pm
kash87 wrote:
Sat Feb 06, 2021 1:20 pm

You have identical immigration history like myself. If your Tier 1 extension was approved after the interview in 2017, there was NO deception? I am certain there wasn't any.

Why HO approved your extension and ILR if there was deception in the first place? I am not sure about this and that is why finding out more is important

Did you work illegally on Tier 1 Entrepreneur initially? Were you on PSW visa before that or Tier 1 Ent was your first visa? Did you have any tax issues with HMRC? - I was on PSW prior to T1 Entrepreneur - No tax issues at any time since my arrival in UK, No illegal work at all

I suggest you definitely apply for SAR and then pursue this allegation.

kash87
Newly Registered

Post by kash87 » Sat Feb 06, 2021 2:47 pm

CULLINAN wrote:
Sat Feb 06, 2021 2:16 pm
Also if deception was real in 2017 extension and overlooked earlier, then ILR can be revoked too? Again this is something I am not sure about. and I believe it depends on what the allegation is. Anybody in the same scenario had theirs revoked?

If there was no deception at extension stage and ILR was granted, then the deception at extension stage can not be the basis to refuse AN.

CULLINAN
Respected Guru
Pakistan

Post by CULLINAN » Sat Feb 06, 2021 2:52 pm

I think for now we all will only be assuming unless real circumstances are revealed or the real issue is known. Your next steps should be to contact the CW and apply for SAR before next steps can be advised.
If there was no deception, you have nothing to fear. Fight your case and get the decision overturned.

Happydays11

Post by Happydays11 » Sat Feb 06, 2021 3:01 pm

is there any director disqualification ?

only reason i can assume , as director disqualification stay for 10 years

Happydays11

Post by Happydays11 » Sat Feb 06, 2021 3:32 pm

other thing need to be check if you claim employees or any tax for getting extensions and did not paid till BC application or dissolve the company without paying .

filing accounts also can be issue, if you still running same company you could still do ...!

London22
Member of Standing

Post by London22 » Sat Feb 06, 2021 4:12 pm

kash87 wrote:
Dear senior members,

History

It is a requirement for naturalisation that a person is of a good character. There is no definition of good character in British Nationality Act 1981 but our policy is in regard to this requirement is outlined on gov.uk

Our enquiries into your application reveal that you had used deception to gain leave in DD/MM/2017 when an application for Leave to Remain was submitted. The home secretary considers your actions constitute a deliberate attempt to mislead a Government department and as such can not be satisfied that you meet the good character requirement for naturalisation and your application is refused.

If you still wish to become a British Citizen you must make a fresh application for naturalisation, accompanied by the appropriate fee. It is open to you to make a fresh application at any time but in view of your actions you are advised that an application made before DD/MM/2027 is unlikely to be successful.

You should note that the outcome of any future application cannot be guaranteed, as this would be determined in the light of enquiries made at that time.

Next Steps
If you believe the decision to refuse your application was not soundly based on nationality law, policy or procedures and you wish it to be reconsidered, you must complete Form NR and pay a fee.

A. Is this a refusal of British citizenship only or will/can affect my ILR also?
C. There is no mention of how many days I have to apply for NR- is there a specific time period?
E. How do I find out what exactly they are referring to? (regardless of my decision to go for NR i would like
F. My spouse is in Pakistan and we planned to submit the application for spouse visa next week, shall we

I request the senior members of the group to give me your expert advice for a positive outcome.

This good character requirement which actually is a Tory political tool & on this basis any application can be refused .There isn't any definition of good character requirement & most refusals come due to this. It is injustice & misuse of power. I think there is a rota system how many people should be granted nationality per year. We have seen home office algorithm of systematic beloved targeting certain group of people .This will not end as labour is with Tories on hostile environment. It is shambolic.

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Sat Feb 06, 2021 5:06 pm

London22 wrote:
Sat Feb 06, 2021 4:12 pm
This good character requirement which actually is a Tory political tool & on this basis any application can be refused .There isn't any definition of good character requirement & most refusals come due to this. It is injustice & misuse of power. I think there is a rota system how many people should be granted nationality per year. We have seen home office algorithm of systematic beloved targeting certain group of people .This will not end as labour is with Tories on hostile environment. It is shambolic.
Incorrect on so many points.

The good character requirements has been present in UK law since at least 1948 (enacted under the Labour government that granted independence to the Indian subcontinent) and was probably already present in law earlier as well.

It is also not restricted to the UK, with the US, Canada and Germany, among many others, restricting naturalisation for people who may have committed crimes. Indeed, India explicitly excludes illegal migrants from naturalisation. It can't come as a surprise to most people that countries are not fans of giving citizenship to people who may have broken the law.

It is also worth reflecting on the fact that the UK has generally naturalised more people than most other countries in Europe, exceeding Germany, France and Italy in 2018 (the last year for which these stats are available from the EU).

So go easy on your posts on this point. It is neither (a)a UK specific thing nor (b) a Tory specific thing and (c) hasn't stopped the UK from naturalising more people than most other countries in Europe.

To the OP, revisit this thread when you have got the SAR details on why they suspect deception in 2017. Inference of deception may taint not only any future naturalisation application, but also your existing ILR. Given that your ILR was based on Tier 1 Entrepreneur, pay particular attention to your accounts from before that period and whether you met the requirements for employing specific numbers of people, etc.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

London22
Member of Standing

Post by London22 » Sat Feb 06, 2021 8:07 pm

secret.simon wrote:
Sat Feb 06, 2021 5:06 pm
London22 wrote:

The good character requirements has been present in UK law since at least 1948 (enacted under the Labour government that granted independence to the Indian subcontinent) and was probably already present in law earlier as well.

It is also not restricted to the UK, with the US, Canada and Germany, among many others, restricting naturalisation for people who may have committed crimes. Indeed, India explicitly excludes illegal migrants from naturalisation. It can't come as a surprise to most people that countries are not fans of giving citizenship to people who may have broken the law.

It is also worth reflecting on the fact that the UK has generally naturalised more people than most other countries in Europe, exceeding Germany, France and Italy in 2018 (the last year for which these stats are available from the EU).

So go easy on your posts on this point. It is neither (a)a UK specific thing nor (b) a Tory specific thing and (c) hasn't stopped the UK from naturalising more people than most other countries in Europe.

To the OP, revisit this thread when you have got the SAR details on why they suspect deception in 2017. Inference of deception may taint not only any future naturalisation application, but also your existing ILR. Given that your ILR was based on Tier 1 Entrepreneur, pay particular attention to your accounts from before that period and whether you met the requirements for employing specific numbers of people, etc.
A typical reply from Secret Simon.
UK immigration is politicised .Good character requirement is a tory tool. Most refusals are coming because of this .This is such a tool that anyone can be refused on its basis as it has been twisted in such a way. Criminals should be barred from citizenship but innocents should not be declared same as criminals.
You have no idea how politicised is home office.Lawyers ,researchers,judges& eye witnesses. call this system a nightmare.
Do you know about systematic discrimination algorithms use in this system for years to abuse foreigners?
You need to change your views on tories .Labour is silent on hostile environment which is a complicit.

coolrockspart2
India

Post by coolrockspart2 » Sat Feb 06, 2021 8:40 pm

Secret Simon advice is correct and London22 bringing politics is not going to help OP or nor anyone.
There are so many people who have successfully applied and got citizenship.
While I know there might be human error or the caseworker may seen some evidence on basis of which they rejected the application.
Without knowing the exact details we all would be guessing and nothing would help.
Once OP gets the SAR report it will be clear.

Happydays11

Post by Happydays11 » Sat Feb 06, 2021 10:40 pm

Did u carry on with same company after extension or you dissolved it?

It’s pointing on the extension application go to points based evidence and see if there is any u done it after getting extension.

If they raised questions of your interview that will be unfortunate

I think u have to clear yourself from this mass .

Happydays11

Post by Happydays11 » Sun Feb 07, 2021 1:51 am

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-53650758

HO drops 'dearly beloved' algorithm from visa decisions

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
London22 wrote:
Sat Feb 06, 2021 8:07 pm
secret.simon wrote:
Sat Feb 06, 2021 5:06 pm
London22 wrote:

A typical reply from Secret Simon.
UK immigration is politicised .Good character requirement is a tory tool. Most refusals are coming because of this .This is such a tool that anyone can be refused on its basis as it has been twisted in such a way. Criminals should be barred from citizenship but innocents should not be declared same as criminals.
You have no idea how politicised is home office.Lawyers ,researchers,judges& eye witnesses. call this system a nightmare.
Do you know about systematic discrimination algorithms use in this system for years to abuse foreigners?
You need to change your views on tories .Labour is silent on hostile environment which is a complicit.

zuo
Newly Registered
China

Post by zuo » Wed Feb 10, 2021 11:43 pm

kash87 wrote:
Dear senior members,

History

Next Steps

Did you make any change for your company after you get your ILR?

"Our enquiries into your application reveal that you had used deception to gain leave in DD/MM/2017 when an application for Leave to Remain was submitted."
either you used some faulty materials to apply the visa in 2017, in which case I think they can revoke your ILR.
Or, the circumstance in your 2017 application must have been changed after you got ILR, which make the caseworker think you use deception to gain.Did you make any changes for your company after you get your ILR?

moongesture
Member of Standing

Post by moongesture » Thu Feb 11, 2021 4:38 pm

Dissolving a company or issues with HM Revenue & Customs alone will not be counted as deception until fraudulent documents submitted or false statement had been made. I can suggest you to revisit your application for extension and look at the answer and additional material you have provided during application process. You may find some answer.

waqas40581

Post by waqas40581 » Thu Mar 18, 2021 2:35 am

That’s really shocking that in past you never had any issue and your BC got refused.first of all I have few friends who shut their company after getting ILR and got their citizen approved. Citizenship nothing to do with your company.
Second anyone have deception they cannot get visa or ILr until deception get cleared from HO.
I would suggest you request SAR and look where problem it. Deception is serious thing you cannot get ILR if you have deception even enterpenure extension.
Their is a high chances their could be mistake while processing your application for BC as I have seen few posts where citizenship got refused bcz of previous deceptions, which they got appealed,won and got visas but BC got refused bcz of past deceptions but when they applied for reconsideration and explain that they have cleared deception through appeal in past and got visa so BC got approved.
As far as I understand there could be mistake do apply for reconsideration bcz if you have deception you cannot get extension or ILR that for sure I am preety confident there is mistake while processing your BC application