ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Does Ireland have the laxest citizenship requirements of any European country?

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

andrewnorris
Newly Registered
Ireland

Does Ireland have the laxest citizenship requirements of any European country?

Post by andrewnorris » Fri Feb 12, 2021 1:33 pm

I'm not originally from Ireland but obtained citizenship through one of my parents. It was quite simple. They were here only 5 years and I got it 1 and a half years later.

Many friends I know who have emigrated to places like Austria and Switzerland talk about having to wait 8 to 10 years before even meeting the minimum residency requirements. AFAIK, you then have to go through a rigorous citizenship test (which Ireland doesn't have).

alhakeem
Ireland

Re: Does Ireland have the laxest citizenship requirements of any European country?

Post by alhakeem » Fri Feb 12, 2021 1:46 pm

andrewnorris wrote:
Fri Feb 12, 2021 1:33 pm
I'm not originally from Ireland but obtained citizenship through one of my parents. It was quite simple. They were here only 5 years and I got it 1 and a half years later.

Many friends I know who have emigrated to places like Austria and Switzerland talk about having to wait 8 to 10 years before even meeting the minimum residency requirements. AFAIK, you then have to go through a rigorous citizenship test (which Ireland doesn't have).
What is your point? Do you think that your parents, do not deserve it and they should stay more than 5 years and they should not had the citizenship and so you are as well ? 5 years is the norm for most countries and it costitute a significant time of the fruitful age, and if I am not wrong it was recommended by a universal agreement.

Stanina
Ireland

Re: Does Ireland have the laxest citizenship requirements of any European country?

Post by Stanina » Fri Feb 12, 2021 2:45 pm

andrewnorris wrote:

You also was quite lucky with applications times, some people wait for 3-5 years to receive it after application.

klick02
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by klick02 » Fri Feb 12, 2021 3:30 pm

So you got your citizenship on time and you are complaining about it? There are many others here whose life has been affected due to the delays since the last couple of years.

saddleback
Israel

Post by saddleback » Fri Feb 12, 2021 3:41 pm

andrewnorris wrote:

I see the point which you trying to make. but you fundamentally underplay the critical argument which undermines your point beyond repair, however.

Ireland grants citizenship to foreign nationals, who have been legal and law-abiding residents for the duration of five years. Read my lips - law-abiding (police records obtained both in Ireland and applicants' home countries), tax paying (tax-related documents are required) and thus, net contributors to the society (I trust you are wise to dismiss Nigel Farage-sque clowns on both islands in the view of hard data on immigration). After this pre-clearance, immigrants are welcomed to apply for naturalisation, having already secured at least a permanent residence status.

In other countries - e.g. Spain, Portugal, this pre-clearance is extremely lax. Undocumented immigrants through Ceuta or other enclaves make their way to the mainland and frequently then document themselves through frequent and unsystematic 'legalisation' exercises. This is the pathway to EU citizenship thereafter.

In other words, I think you have no point. If other states impose longer residence requirement for naturalisation, its more extensive duration can only refer well, to its duration, not degree of 'lax'. I hope it helps.

Stanina
Ireland

Post by Stanina » Fri Feb 12, 2021 4:05 pm

Almost sure topic starter is a troll who do not want to see foreigners in Ireland but still

Nederland's
Sweden
Bulgaria
Czech republic
Belgium
Finland
All have naturalization after 5 years.
Norway not in EU but also after 5 years.
Germany after 6 years.
So No Ireland is not the most "Lax" with citizenship in EU, not the strictest though.

Link is 2nd google result by the way for "naturalisation in eu countries"
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Citizensh ... pean_Union

littlerr
Respected Guru
China

Post by littlerr » Fri Feb 12, 2021 4:24 pm

Mods please have the thread closed. The OP is simply a troll shooting random questions in different forums.