ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Stamp 4 EU FAM - to - Permanent Residency

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

returntotheuk
Ireland

Stamp 4 EU FAM - to - Permanent Residency

Post by returntotheuk » Wed Feb 17, 2021 5:38 pm

Advice please:

I am British and my wife currently has a "Stamp 4 EU FAM" visa which expires at the end of 2022, however we entered Ireland at the end of 2016. So we have been living in Ireland for 5 years by the end of October this year 2021. 

I have few questions for anyone who can advise: 

1. When would my wife be able to apply for a permanent residency card? I am getting different answers and I can not find a clear answer anywhere.

2. If/when she gets permanent residency, when can she apply for citizenship? Again, I am getting different answers so looking for confirmation and link to a proper source.

3. Would it benefit a lot if I were to apply for Irish citizenship asap, I was thinking if I had Irish citizenship it would make things easier? 

BTW, I have tried searching INIS site but it is mind boggling trying to find the right answers. 

Thanks in advance. 

littlerr
Respected Guru
China

Re: Stamp 4 EU FAM - to - Permanent Residency

Post by littlerr » Wed Feb 17, 2021 7:05 pm

You need to first confirm what card your wife possesses. If it's the Stamp 4EUFAM IRP card, that is no longer valid since the Brexit transition period ends and will no longer be accepted anywhere as proof of registration.

Your wife has until 31 Dec 2021 to exchange that card with a new normal Stamp 4 IRP card under the WAB scheme.

Answering your questions:
1. Applicants are advised to make their EU3 Permanent Residence Card applications 6 months before their Residence Card expires. It can take considerably longer nowadays due to COVID-19, so you might want to apply a little bit earlier.

2. Citizenship and permanent residency are two separate things. Both she and you can apply for citizenship after 5 years of residence in Ireland. Your 5 years would start on the day you arrive in Ireland. Her 5 years starts on the day she receives her first registration card (Stamp 1, 3, 4, 4EUFAM, 5). There is no advantage whatsoever with her getting a permanent residency or not.

3. No. The only 'advantage' would be that if you become an Irish citizen, she will be able to apply based on marriage to an Irish citizen, which is marginally faster based on people's past experiences. However, on average any citizenship application would take more than 12 months to approve nowadays. So you might as well just apply at the earliest opportunity.

returntotheuk
Ireland

Post by returntotheuk » Wed Feb 17, 2021 8:22 pm

Thank you very much for your reply. Much appreciated.

My wife has the Stamp 4 EU fam card but we have applied for her Stamp 4 IRP already.

I have one more question if you don't mind, you answered below in the last sentence saying "There is no advantage whatsoever with her getting a permanent residency or not." Do you mean she can apply for one or the other? Sorry, I am not quite sure what you mean.

2. Citizenship and permanent residency are two separate things. Both she and you can apply for citizenship after 5 years of residence in Ireland. Your 5 years would start on the day you arrive in Ireland. Her 5 years starts on the day she receives her first registration card (Stamp 1, 3, 4, 4EUFAM, 5). There is no advantage whatsoever with her getting a permanent residency or not.

Thanks very much for the info.

littlerr
Respected Guru
China

Post by littlerr » Wed Feb 17, 2021 9:45 pm

The speed and chance of getting approved for citizenship has nothing to do with whether she has a permanent residence card. She can apply for either without having to obtain the other.

raja.brit
Member of Standing
Jamaica

Post by raja.brit » Wed Feb 17, 2021 9:50 pm

returntotheuk wrote:
Wed Feb 17, 2021 8:22 pm

My wife has the Stamp 4 EU fam card but we have applied for her Stamp 4 IRP already.

I have one more question if you don't mind, you answered below in the last sentence saying "There is no advantage whatsoever with her getting a permanent residency or not." Do you mean she can apply for one or the other? Sorry, I am not quite sure what you mean.

At the end of the day, if or when she gets her Citizenship, she needs to have a valid Residency Permit (Stamp 4 Withdrawal Agreement Beneficiary
card or Stamp 4 PR).

So the onus is on her to ensure she applies or renews whatsoever permission before it expires.

I hope it helps.

returntotheuk
Ireland

Post by returntotheuk » Wed Feb 17, 2021 11:51 pm

raja.brit wrote:
Wed Feb 17, 2021 9:50 pm
returntotheuk wrote:
Wed Feb 17, 2021 8:22 pm

At the end of the day, if or when she gets her Citizenship, she needs to have a valid Residency Permit (Stamp 4 Withdrawal Agreement Beneficiary
card or Stamp 4 PR).

So the onus is on her to ensure she applies or renews whatsoever permission before it expires.

I hope it helps.
Thanks again for the help, and yes it helps a lot. Appreciated.